• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Memento

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I mean, being a great publisher means a hell of a lot more than publishing one GOTY game each year. Also there are stronger years and weaker years. The past two years were some real standouts, this year has had a lot of great titles, but not so many incredible ones. A publisher could put out the top ten games of the decade in a single year and they'd only win a single GOTY award.

Kudos for Sony for putting out some great titles, but extrapolating GOTY awards to establish someone as the top developer of the decade makes no sense whatsoever.

They have been on a rool since Uncharted 2 back in 2009, so it is not something out of nowhere though :)

Memento

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Nib and memento was death stranding your game of the year?

Control

Edit: I have yet to play Death Stranding outside of a few gameplay sessions on my friends'house though... it sure seemed like a unique experience but I definitely needed more context

I am playing Days Gone now and really liking it btw

Dever

Dec 25, 2019
So are we expecting a lot more GOTY awards still, or is that starting to be the final tally?

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
So are we expecting a lot more GOTY awards still, or is that starting to be the final tally?
Some awards like DICE etc usually come later, but for the most part I think we should be winding down now.

Seems like we got less overall awards compared to the last year or two this year. The top 3 are also much closer this year, not as lopsided as some previous years.

And unless something drastically changes, looks like Death Stranding will be the highest scoring game of the year this year.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Control

Edit: I have yet to play Death Stranding outside of a few gameplay sessions on my friends'house though... it sure seemed like a unique experience but I definitely needed more context

I am playing Days Gone now and really liking it btw

Yeah control is my close second behind sekiro. I love it. :)

Strange that you seem to be so happy that death stranding, an sony published game and not actually part of the sony umbrella is in the front running ahead of your personal choice?

I mean sony only funded kojimas game and it's not even your favourite game of the year. Just seems odd to me.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
User Banned (1 week): Antagonising other members over a series of posts, history of similar behaviour
Answer to my question instead of trying to be evasive as always.

Yes i'm on a discussion board and even if i don't care i'm STILL DISCUSSING, you jumped in the thread with your console bullshit rethoric, now, tell me what were you trying to imply with your first comment.

Most people on these forums have certain preferences. For example, it's no surprise that I love my cinematic or narrative heavy titles, and Sony tends to do those best.

With respect to yourself, often I see you posting in support of or excitement towards Microsoft's platform and games, and it's not exactly a secret that Microsoft hasn't really had any strong GOTY awards candidates for some time now. Thus I can see why yourself and others may be especially disparaging towards GOTY awards, since the awards in recent years will not necessarily align with or reflect their own preferences. Irrespective of that however, it doesn't mean GOTY awards aren't important or are only celebrated or discussed by "fanboys". It is rather incendiary of you to imply that (the irony being that you yourself are in here discussing them).

Simply put, awards are a recognition and celebration of quality, and people like to see the games, products, designs, food, movies or whatever else they love or enjoy, recognised and celebrated.

Last edited:

nib95

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Nib and memento was death stranding your game of the year?

I haven't decided yet. It's between Death Stranding and Sekiro. I think Sekiro is the better made game, but I feel like Death Stranding is the more unique experience, and one that left more of an impact on me in terms of emotive resonance and awe.

Memento

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah control is my close second behind sekiro. I love it. :)

Strange that you seem to be so happy that death stranding, an sony published game and not actually part of the sony umbrella is in the front running ahead of your personal choice?

I mean sony only funded kojimas game and it's not even your favourite game of the year. Just seems odd to me.

It was more of an observation

Sony first party has been my favorite thijg since years now. I end up every year having at least one of their published titles in my top 3, so it is nice to see them rewarded for their output. Naturally I am happy for their sucess in that front! Looking forward to Death Stranding... but now I am playing Days Gone and have yet to finish Persona 5... that is like 100h of content ahead of me lol

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I haven't decided yet. It's between Death Stranding and Sekiro. I think Sekiro is the better made game, but I feel like Death Stranding is the more unique experience, and one that left more of an impact on me in terms of emotive resonance and awe.
Yeah sekiro is mine, death stranding may make my top ten but I'm not decided yet. Need to properly sit down and think lol.

Love that death stranding exists and I like the actual gameplay a lot, it's the other stuff that gets in the way.
It was more of an observation

Sony first party has been my favorite thijg since years now. I end up every year having at least one of their published titles in my top 3, so it is nice to see them rewarded for their output. Naturally I am happy for their sucess in that front! Looking forward to Death Stranding... but now I am playing Days Gone and have yet to finish Persona 5... that is like 100h of content ahead of me lol

This year goes to sekiro but last year, man god of war was so special. I adore that game.

Oct 26, 2017
With respect to yourself, often I see you posting in support of or excitement towards Microsoft's platform and games, and it's not exactly a secret that Microsoft hasn't really had any strong GOTY awards candidates for some time now. Thus I can see why yourself and others may be especially disparaging towards GOTY awards, since the awards in recent years will not necessarily align with or reflect their own preferences. Irrespective of that however, it doesn't meant GOTY awards aren't important or are only celebrated or discussed by "fanboys". It is wrong of you to assume that.

I'm a PC Gamer first and foremost and 2 of my favourite games of this gen are Bloodborne and God of War (no MS is in my all time favourite games of this gen)
I never cared about Gears (i actually tried G5 but felt to sleep after the first 2 hours) or Halo; just a couple of days ago i wrote this on the Xbox OT thread

I'm legit surprised at the production value of Gears Tactis, Gears is not my thing, but if it's a good X-COM 2 clone i'm good.

The first trailer looked unpolished as fuck compared to the new one.

The only MS games i'm interested in are; Ori 2, AoE4 (PC-centric game), MS Flight Simulator (PC-centric game) and Wasteland 3(PC RPG) if you want to count it as "MS game" now. And if you take a look at the "Most Anticipated Games", my choices were: TLOU 2, Cyberpunk 2077, Ori 2 and Dying Light 2, i'm a big ass fan of MS, indeed.

You are litterally talking nonsense accusing me of not caring about GOTY because apparently i'm a big MS fan? This is some good console war rethoric but i'm not surprised coming from you and you can even check, i'm a BIG MS FAN and i'm really active in Xbox OT and i posted like 10 comments there? Go compare it with Sony OT and come again with your baseless accusations.

Awards in recent years:

TW3 and Bloodborne were my favourite games of 2015 -> TW3 WON TGA GOTY and overall award
Dishonored 2 was my favorite game of 2016 -> OW won TGA GOTY and Uncharted 4 won overall
Nier, Nioh, Prey, DOS2 were my favorite games of 2017 -> BOTW won TGA GOTY and overall
God of War was my favorite game of 2018 -> GOTY won TGA and overall
Sekiro, Apex, Disco are my favorite games of 2019 -> Sekiro won TGA GOTY and DS is winning overall.

My taste does not align with the press and that's fine, because that's my taste, games winning awards is good for the studio but as a player, i'm not winning or losing anything if one of my favorite games is winning or losing some awards.

Thanks again to be as predictable as possible nib95, and this is not the first time.

One single advice

I'm done.

Last edited:

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
In a time where very similar sorts of games win GOTY awards year after year (notably those that have a heavy emphasis on violence or action), it's quite cool that something as refreshing as Death Stranding can succeed in this way. It's essentially akin to the gaming community and outlets showing they're not shy about giving awards or recognition to games that push the boat so long as they're great. This is also something that might hopefully motivate or incentivise other AAA studios or publishers from pushing the boat out a bit more with their AAA games too.
I agree that things should change, I hate that AAA games are always so violent, not only am I uneasy about it myself but as a parent it's almost impossible to actually find the time to play those games.

But DS painted out an extremely brutal, dark and horrible future so it's not like it's a pleasant game for us who don't like violence, I almost couldn't see it til the end.

And don't kid yourself, nothing will change even if DS win every single award from here on, next year we'll still see The Last of Us part 2 fighting for the top spot, a game where they go even further on making the violence dark, brutal and painful.

nib95

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm a PC Gamer first and foremost and 2 of my favourite games of this gen are Bloodborne and God of War (no MS is in my all time favourite games of this gen)
I never cared about Gears (i actually tried G5 but felt to sleep after the first 2 hours) or Halo; just a couple of days ago i wrote this on the Xbox OT thread

The only MS games i'm interested in are; Ori 2, AoE4 (PC-centric game), MS Flight Simulator (PC-centric game) and Wasteland 3(PC RPG) if you want to count it as "MS game" now. And if you take a look at the "Most Anticipated Games", my choices were: TLOU 2, Cyberpunk 2077, Ori 2 and Dying Light 2, i'm a big ass fan of MS, indeed.

You are litterally talking nonsense accusing me of not caring about GOTY because apparently i'm a big MS fan? This is some good console war rethoric but i'm not surprised coming from you and you can even check, i'm a BIG MS FAN and i'm really active in Xbox OT and i posted like 10 comments there? Go compare it with Sony OT and come again with your baseless accusations.

Awards in recent years:

TW3 and Bloodborne were my favourite games of 2015 -> TW3 WON TGA GOTY and overall award
Dishonored 2 was my favourite game of 2016 -> OW won TGA GOTY and Uncharted 4 won overall
Nier, Nioh, Prey, DOS2 were my favourite games of 2017 -> BOTW won TGA GOTY and overall
God of War was my favourite game of 2018 -> GOTY won TGA and overall
Sekiro, Apex, Disco are my favourite games of 2019 -> Sekiro won TGA GOTY and DS is winning overall.

Thanks again to be as predictable as possible nib95, and this is not the first time.

One single advice

Fair enough, perhaps I misjudged or confused you with another poster, or mistook your PC centric preference to Microsoft instead (though Microsoft is definitely the most supportive of the PC platform at present). If I have, I apologise. Having said that, given many PC centric games are often regarded by some as 'snubbed' in GOTY awards, the same principle about why one might be more likely to be disparaging towards GOTY awards could apply.

That said, stop bringing up console war rhetoric as some sort of response when you literally just called everyone who discusses GOTY awards a "fanboy", doubly amusing when you yourself are in here discussing them.

Oct 26, 2017
Fair enough, perhaps I misjudged or confused you with another poster, or mistook your PC centric preference to Microsoft instead (though Microsoft is definitely the most supportive of the PC platform at present). If I have, I apologise.

That said, stop bringing up console war rhetoric as some sort of response when you literally just called everyone who discusses GOTY awards a "fanboy", doubly amusing when you're in here discussing them.

MS is supportive because they are actually making games tailored for PC (and they bought 2 PC centric studios) as seen by AoE4 and MS Flight Simulator, if they kept doing the same Xbox games i couldn't give a single fuck about their venture on PC/Steam.

That's not a console war rhetoric, last year GOTY discussion was SO FUCKING BAD and ended up with two sides fighting and arguing about the awards, saying that "RDR2 didn't deserve to win X award, GoW is overrated" etc..., that's why i see the whole discussion as "fans of x game" vs "fans of x game" flaming each other about some virtual awards. I used to follow the GOTY season when the whole discussion was not toxic.

We are going OT, i'm dropping the discussion here.

nib95

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
MS is supportive because they are actually making games tailored for PC (and they bought 2 PC centric studios) as seen by AoE4 and MS Flight Simulator, if they kept doing the same Xbox games i couldn't give a single fuck about their venture on PC/Steam.

That's not a console war rhetoric, last year GOTY discussion was SO FUCKING BAD and ended up with two sides fighting and arguing about the awards, saying that "RDR2 didn't deserve to win X award, GoW is overrated" etc..., that's why i see the whole discussion as "fans of x game" vs "fans of x game" flaming each other about some virtual awards. I used to follow the GOTY season when the whole discussion was not toxic.

We are going OT, i'm dropping the discussion here.

There was some of that, sure, but that was only a single part or aspect of the overall GOTY discussion, one that I feel you're putting far too much emphasis on. You can't really use that one aspect to generalise all GOTY discussion.

Hell, I absolutely LOVED both games, would give them both 10/10's and so would have been happy with either winning, and I know many felt the same way.

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Thank god I make my own GOTY list.

The one in the OP is awful holy shit. Marketing wins again.
tenor.gif

Deleted member 19924

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Most people on these forums have certain preferences. For example, it's no surprise that I love my cinematic or narrative heavy titles, and Sony tends to do those best.

With respect to yourself, often I see you posting in support of or excitement towards Microsoft's platform and games, and it's not exactly a secret that Microsoft hasn't really had any strong GOTY awards candidates for some time now. Thus I can see why yourself and others may be especially disparaging towards GOTY awards, since the awards in recent years will not necessarily align with or reflect their own preferences. Irrespective of that however, it doesn't mean GOTY awards aren't important or are only celebrated or discussed by "fanboys". It is rather incendiary of you to imply that (the irony being that you yourself are in here discussing them).

Simply put, awards are a recognition and celebration of quality, and people like to see the games, products, designs, food, movies or whatever else they love or enjoy, recognised and celebrated.
Surprised your ban isn't permanent this time, you've console warred and been punished like 50 times for this kind of stuff.

WhatATimeToBeAlive

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 12, 2019
Finland
I love how much people are championing death stranding and also getting upset about it.

No one gives a real care about any of these consensus game of the years, and if you do I'd say ...well I dunno.

It's so obviously biased due to the criteria that's accepted and the fact that they are plucked from all sorts of random places world wide where the landscape isnt even.
Well, it seems like at least you care about these consensus game of the years and are upset that Death Stranding is getting awards. Nice for letting us know.

Although I am not suprised based on your comments in the Death Stranding review thread.

Oct 26, 2017
I can see why those who tend to favour platforms that essentially haven't won many GOTY awards for some time, might feel this way, but GOTY awards aren't about that at all. Like awards in cinema, TV, business, product development or design, innovation, web design, cars, restaurants or whatever else, they're about recognising and celebrating quality.

You guys are sort of entirely missing the point some are making about Death Stranding's success in this field too. A game like Death Stranding winning is being championed because the game is so unique, bold and innovative, especially in the AAA space.

In a time where very similar sorts of games win GOTY awards year after year (notably those that have a heavy emphasis on violence or action), it's quite cool that something as refreshing as Death Stranding can succeed in this way. It's essentially akin to the gaming community and outlets showing they're not shy about giving awards or recognition to games that push the boat so long as they're great. This is also something that might hopefully motivate or incentivise other AAA studios or publishers from pushing the boat out a bit more with their AAA games too.
I honestly wouldn't say Death Stranding is proof of that at all. A cinematic and narrative driven game winning a ton of GotY awards has been a thing for over 2 generations at this point. Not to say it's undeserving of them but GotY awards have leaned a certain way for a long time and Death Stranding is quite frankly no different, in that regard. Its design and focus can be regarded as bold and unique but it still fits into the mold of what tends to win GotY

EDIT: My bad, didn't realize you were banned atm. Perhaps should've checked first

Last edited:

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Well, it seems like at least you care about these consensus game of the years and are upset that Death Stranding is getting awards. Nice for letting us know.

Although I am not suprised based on your comments in the Death Stranding review thread.

I absolutely have no issue with death stranding winning overall.

My enquiry was how strange I find members of this forum championing Sony and antagonising other forum members over a game that isnt even their own personal game of the year.

I mean think about that...its like you love blade runner 2049 but the big xmas exclusive from Warner bros wins the most peoples choice awards and you're ecstatic about it. I find it odd.

Why wouldn't you be championing the film you think is the best?

What studio it came from shouldnt even come into play.

VanDoughnut

Oct 30, 2017

My enquiry was how strange I find members of this forum championing Sony and antagonising other forum members over a game that isnt even their own personal game of the year.

I mean think about that...its like you love blade runner 2049 but the big xmas exclusive from Warner bros wins the most peoples choice awards and you're ecstatic about it. I find it odd.

DS is kinda like Blade Runner 2049 in that it's not for everybody (didn't do well in the box office) and doesn't have a non-stop action hook that some blockbusters do.

But I think ppl like DS winning because it's very different than most games. A game mainly about traversal, cooperation, that discourages killing is very different. It's encouraging that an AAA publisher got behind it and it winning might encourage more AAA publishers to take risks.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
DS is kinda like Blade Runner 2049 in that it's not for everybody (didn't do well in the box office) and doesn't have a non-stop action hook that some blockbusters do.

But I think ppl like DS winning because it's very different than most games. A game mainly about traversal, cooperation, that discourages killing is very different. It's encouraging that an AAA publisher got behind it and it winning might encourage more AAA publishers to take risks.

I agree with every one of your points. :)

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017

Do we have actual DS Sales numbers ? I find it hard to believe that its going to sell way less than RE2 or Sekiro.
IIRC its opening was in the top 10 Sony published titles ?

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The more I play Death Stranding, the more I'm reminded why it's my game of the year, and why I love Kojima. It's the most unique game I've ever played, and it's the most addictive game I've played since God of War (2018).

I love the immersion, the story, the setting, the soundtrack, the extremely satisfying gameplay loop, the actors (Tommy Earl Jenkin's performance was just wow. A top 1% moment in gaming history during one of the later scenes for me), the visuals, the otherworldly enemy encounters, the way the game actually tries to discourage you from killing despite giving you weapons, the intense balancing mechanics, and of course... the fact that it has an incredibly well-designed open world that affects literally every step you take. The different terrain types really do change everything.

I also just think it's badass as fuck that Kojima went and made a game about some legendary delivery/transporter guy, while adding all this other stuff to this one of a kind experience.

There's absolutely nothing like this game out there for me, and for that alone, it's the easiest game of the year award I've ever picked.

It's a shame that Death Stranding and Control ended up with 82 on Metacritic, which made people think, "oh they're not that great then if they're not 90+!"

These games are truly great and took more chances.

While I loved Sekiro, RE2 Remake, and DMC5, it's Death Stranding that gets my GOTY. It did more for me than any of those games did. I give second place to Control.

WhatATimeToBeAlive

Banned
Oct 12, 2019
Finland

I saw one comment championing Sony but none that antagonised other forum members, until comments that said that these awards are meaningless and only fanboys care about them (your comment was one of them).

Blade Runner 2049 is by the way my second most favorite movie after The Thin Red Line (original Blade Runner is only 8/10 imo).

Dever

Dec 25, 2019
The more I play Death Stranding, the more I'm reminded why it's my game of the year, and why I love Kojima. It's the most unique game I've ever played, and it's the most addictive game I've played since God of War (2018).

I love the immersion, the story, the setting, the soundtrack, the extremely satisfying gameplay loop, the actors (Tommy Earl Jenkin's performance was just wow. A top 1% moment in gaming history during one of the later scenes for me), the visuals, the otherworldly enemy encounters, the way the game actually tries to discourage you from killing despite giving you weapons, the intense balancing mechanics, and of course... the fact that it has an incredibly well-designed open world that affects literally every step you take. The different terrain types really do change everything.

I also just think it's badass as fuck that Kojima went and made a game about some legendary delivery/transporter guy, while adding all this other stuff to this one of a kind experience.

There's absolutely nothing like this game out there for me, and for that alone, it's the easiest game of the year award I've ever picked.

It's a shame that Death Stranding and Control ended up with 82 on Metacritic, which made people think, "oh they're not that great then if they're not 90+!"

While I loved Sekiro, RE2 Remake, and DMC5, it's Death Stranding that gets my GOTY. It did more for me than any of those games did. I give second place to Control.
Totally agree, keep on keeping on

WhatATimeToBeAlive

Banned
Oct 12, 2019
Finland

Well put. Death Stranding and Control were also my stand outs this year for how unique they were. I could easily see them (or at least DS) becoming timeless classics.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
rip nib :(

come back soon bruh !

seems like the awards are really winding down now, only 3, 4 added over the last 2 or 3 days. Current top 3 are as follows:

Death Stranding - 62

The Critics' Picks - 44
The Readers' Picks - 18

Resident Evil 2 - 52

The Critics' Picks - 41
The Readers' Picks - 11

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice - 44

The Critics' Picks - 39
The Readers' Picks - 5

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
rip nib :(

come back soon bruh !

seems like the awards are really winding down now, only 3, 4 added over the last 2 or 3 days. Current top 3 are as follows:

Unless we're just going to to see dramatically fewer awards this year, then there should still be quite a few more to come in. It's just one that'll slow down and speed up depending on the day. Last year the blog called GoW the overall winner in late February. So we've still got more than a month to go.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
A few things:
-Tally is currently at 244, there's probably 150 more or less to go. Edit: I calculated the average, so the total may or may not hit the 400s.
-DICE nominees should be announced this week or the next with the Awards in Feb. BAFTA will be in Mar for the nominees and Apr for the winners.
-gotyblog usually chooses a winner between the end of Feb and mid March.

Last edited:

FlintSpace

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Death Stranding is amazing in individual fronts but as an overall package really doesn't deserves so many GOTYs. It's a little bit sad

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
Only 100 or so left? Damn, DS is gonna win isn't it?

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Sub 90 at metacritic won't turn people away, 82 is still a meta great score. But it all happens for a reason, no matter the game it ends up in the 80s instead of 90s because lots of critics think it's good at some things but not amazing as a whole.

You says it's a shame that DS and Control ended up at 82 but I'd say that it's more of a shame that Sekiro, Resident Evil 2, Disco Elysium, The Outer Worlds, DMCV, SMM2, Luigi's Mansion 3, Fire Emblem, Outer Wilds, Gears 5 etc etc ended up above those two on metacritic without having a chance at this year's GOTY votings. Well, Sekiro got the TGA award and RE2 might have a chance here I guess but I still think DS will win.

DS and Control both got their fair share of attention in the TGA event at least. Many of the games above was lucky to even be nominated in the minor segments even with 90+ meta scores in some cases.

Dever

Dec 25, 2019
Sub 90 at metacritic won't turn people away, 82 is still a meta great score. But it all happens for a reason, no matter the game it ends up in the 80s instead of 90s because lots of critics think it's good at some things but not amazing as a whole.

You says it's a shame that DS and Control ended up at 82 but I'd say that it's more of a shame that Sekiro, Resident Evil 2, Disco Elysium, The Outer Worlds, DMCV, SMM2, Luigi's Mansion 3, Fire Emblem, Outer Wilds, Gears 5 etc etc ended up above those two on metacritic without having a chance at this year's GOTY votings. Well, Sekiro got the TGA award and RE2 might have a chance here I guess but I still think DS will win.

DS and Control both got their fair share of attention in the TGA event at least. Many of the games above was lucky to even be nominated in the minor segments even with 90+ meta scores in some cases.

An 82 meta won't turn people away, but some of the extremely low scores DS got definitely did. Usually a game with 82 meta has scores in the 7-9 range, whereas with DS it was more like in the 4-10 range.

It's pretty funny in hindsight... A game supposedly so shockingly bad that Edge refused to review it and Giant Bomb gave 2/5 ended up winning the most GotY's, or at least in the Top 3.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
An 82 meta won't turn people away, but some of the extremely low scores DS got definitely did. Usually a game with 82 meta has scores in the 7-9 range, whereas with DS it was more like in the 4-10 range.

It's pretty funny in hindsight... A game supposedly so shockingly bad that Edge refused to review it and Giant Bomb gave 2/5 ended up winning the most GotY's, or at least in the Top 3.
It's a divisive game. Some truly think it's bad, for real. And others truly think it's the game of the generation, also for real. Unfortunately for DS it happened to be reviewed by a few in the first group. Giant Bomb and Edge could've given it a 10/10 with different reviewers. There is nothing funny about it, just different opinions on what games should focus on to be fun to play.

Dever

Dec 25, 2019
It's a divisive game. Some truly think it's bad, for real. And others truly think it's the game of the generation, also for real. Unfortunately for DS it happened to be reviewed by a few in the first group. Giant Bomb and Edge could've given it a 10/10 with different reviewers. There is nothing funny about it, just different opinions on what games should focus on to be fun to play.
Well, funny in the sense it seemed pretty unlikely when those reviews were rolling out. Don't really remember the last time there was such a controversy around the reviews of a game. I do think some of those reviews were bs, or it seemed clear the reviewer didn't understand some core mechanics. But that's not really a topic for this thread

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Well, funny in the sense it seemed pretty unlikely when those reviews were rolling out. Don't really remember the last time there was such a controversy around the reviews of a game. I do think some of those reviews were bs, or it seemed clear the reviewer didn't understand some core mechanics. But that's not really a topic for this thread
I could honestly see this coming, said early on that I thought it would win on Era (which I still believes), at the TGA (almost) and the aggregate (very likely at this point). Haven't played it myself but I understand the appeal, and with the pre-release hype, the top score reviews, Kojima, the post-release fan talk, and exclusive on the most popular gaming platform on the planet. It all adds up. It was the most likely GOTY candidate even before the launch. At times it may sound like other games have a chance or that lots of people hate DS but I think it's just noise, a loud minority, and in the end it's a popularity contest so that don't matter much.

But it still makes me glad everytime some of the less likely games get an award, like Disco Elysium or The Outer Worlds.

Status
Not open for further replies.