• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I will never understand people saying 2019 was a weak year. If anything, the variety in GOTY contenders is a thing to be celebrated, rather than talking about the same two games ad nauseam.
i mean it depends what you looking for . I liked a lot of games this year, but none of them were as memorable as previous years

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I will never understand people saying 2019 was a weak year. If anything, the variety in GOTY contenders is a thing to be celebrated, rather than talking about the same two games ad nauseam.

2018 also had variety in GOTY contenders, just additionally to that it also had two game of the generation contenders. Something this year lacks.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
2018 also had variety in GOTY contenders, just additionally to that it also had two game of the generation contenders. Something this year lacks.

Well yeah .. some years have generation defining games, some years have some very good games in their own right.

This year is the later if not the former.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Shocked with how few votes Outer Wilds has. I thought with game pass that would widen the audience. So many are still sleeping on an absolute experience

Oct 26, 2017
I cant believe anyone seriously would suggest this.
Some folk really need to defend everything regarding this game. It falls apart as soon as you consider all of the non-shooter or even action games this gen that are critically acclaimed

Oh no I'm agreeing with you lol, I just see a lot of people here talking about 2019 as a weak year and so I wanted to reinforce what you were saying :D
It didn't have one or two games run away with all of the GotY awards and, for others, it didn't have that one big stand out cinematic and narrative driven game. A lot of the good games this year were bit more...subdued with their critical reception and were in more niche or smaller genres

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
I think part of the problem is i read this as the outer worlds lol
Which is unfortunate, but it did come out months before and was free or discounted months before as well.

Hype for Outer Worlds superceded. And, critical reception quickly cooked for Outer Worlds while Outer Wilds seems to be gaining more and more traction and recognition critically (as more outlets name it GOTY).

Oct 27, 2017

Eh I think Disco Elysium feels like more of a defining moment in gaming than either God of War or Red Dead. As polished as those games are they don't push ideas in gaming forward like Disco does.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Some folk really need to defend everything regarding this game. It falls apart as soon as you consider all of the non-shooter or even action games this gen that are critically acclaimed

It didn't have one or two games run away with all of the GotY awards and, for others, it didn't have that one big stand out cinematic and narrative driven game. A lot of the good games this year were bit more...subdued with their critical reception and were in more niche or smaller genres
Yeah, I need muh high production cinematic narrative experience that has competent wirting every year , lol.

Oct 25, 2017

I think this year was only "weak" in the sense that even the GotY contenders had significant flaws. It's not 2014-level weak or anything, but just looking at my own list and then looking at other games that people and sites are touting as GotY-level that I thought were just decent or average or what-have-you, this is definitely a weaker year to me in that regard.

I've still got a 2017 hangover, I think. That year was absolutely insane.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Eh I think Disco Elysium feels like more of a defining moment in gaming than either God of War or Red Dead. As polished as those games are they don't push ideas in gaming forward like Disco does.
I have yet to play Elysium. But what RDR 2 and GoW did for their genres in AAA space its pretty significant and ambitious . And they do push specific ideas, be it narrative wise or gameplay wise . Niot all of those ideas were executed well, but both games were trying to say something

Oct 27, 2017
I think this year was only "weak" in the sense that even the GotY contenders had significant flaws. It's not 2014-level weak or anything, but just looking at my own list and then looking at other games that people and sites are touting as GotY-level that I thought were just decent or average or what-have-you, this is definitely a weaker year to me in that regard.

I've still got a 2017 hangover, I think. That year was absolutely insane.

Personally speaking I'd say that about games that people were touting back in 2018, 2017, 2016, etc. Like I certainly don't think RDRII or Witcher III are flawless masterpieces. But yes I think 2017 was probably the best year of the generation too :P

Oct 26, 2017
I have yet to play Elysium. But what RDR 2 and GoW did for their genres in AAA space its pretty significant and ambitious . And they do push specific ideas, be it narrative wise or gameplay wise . Niot all of those ideas were executed well, but both games were trying to say something
While I like God of War, I'm not sure what it exactly pushed. Everything it did well has been done just as well or better before by other games, whether that be visuals, the narrative, combat, etc. Its a really good game but I'd say that's because it's more than the sum of its parts than anything it pushed forward or did for the genre

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
While I like God of War, I'm not sure what it exactly pushed. Everything it did well has been done just as well or better before by other games, whether that be visuals, the narrative, combat, etc. Its a really good game but I'd say that's because it's more than the sum of its parts than anything it pushed forward or did for the genre
it made piece of shit kratos that was cartoon level of characterization into something a lot more nuanced and even likeable to an extent . Also that one take thing , while it was a gimick , it was sorta kinda cool for one game . I am not the biggest fan of GoW , i was stanning for RDR 2 , so someone else should probably pitch in , haha

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
I prefer not to know what any of you two are implying, but I'd appreciate it if at least you in particular were to confront your opinions about it with this folk in question, instead of relying on dismissive remarks.

The comment was made, the numbers are clear. Diverting the topic to new matters like what's been celebrated or not by critics this gen or this century won't change the simple nature of dividing a quantity between a higher number and getting a result. It's not my problem if what these numbers show doesn't align with your expectations.

Oct 27, 2017

It's AAA: the video game. It's an extremely polished game but it's all based on things that have been done in the genre before; it's got an armor/loot system, cinematic over the shoulder camera, shoulder button combat, sad dad story, collectibles, etc. I love the game but calling it innovative seems like a stretch.

Oct 27, 2017
it made piece of shit kratos that was cartoon level of characterization into something a lot more nuanced and even likeable to an extent . Also that one take thing , while it was a gimick , it was sorta kinda cool for one game . I am not the biggest fan of GoW , i was stanning for RDR 2 , so someone else should probably pitch in , haha

To me even RDRII just feels like an evolution of RDRI, and for all of its ambition I don't think any of things it did in the name of immersion and realism made for a better game. The game just isn't particularly engaging to play. A good story can only carry a large AAA game so far. Pretty to look at, to be sure, but hardly the bastion of great game design.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
To me even RDRII just feels like an evolution of RDRI, and for all of its ambition I don't think any of things it did in the name of immersion and realism made for a better game. The game just isn't particularly engaging to play. A good story can only carry a large AAA game so far. Pretty to look at, to be sure, but hardly the bastion of great game design.
I mean RDR 2 is more than good story and i thought it was engaging to play and I am all for the sake of realism and immersion at the cost of gameplay and repsonsive controls . You dont think much of RDR or GoW or probably most AAA games , which is fair. I think its more than obvious that our preferences are very different .

Oct 26, 2017
That is pretty significant and is why I actually like Kratos here whereas I utterly despised him before but I wouldn't say that's exactly pushing the medium forward. To be fair, I don't think the overwhelming majority of great games do. Very very few games truly change the medium forever and not all of them because they were the best

It's AAA: the video game. It's an extremely polished game but it's all based on things that have been done in the genre before; it's got an armor/loot system, cinematic over the shoulder camera, shoulder button combat, sad dad story, collectibles, etc. I love the game but calling it innovative seems like a stretch.
That's how I see it as well and, really, that's most high quality games in general. Most aren't all that innovative. A lot of folk on here love Bloodborne, for example, even though its derivative of previous Souls games. Plenty love games like Smash or the old Monster Hunter games, even though the games are very iterative. I loved Miles Edgeworth: Investigations II but that was also derivative of what came before. I think, in this day and age, it's really hard to be truly innovative

I prefer not to know what any of you two are implying, but I'd appreciate it if at least you in particular were to confront your opinions about it with this folk in question, instead of relying on dismissive remarks.

The comment was made, the numbers are clear. Diverting the topic to new matters like what's been celebrated or not by critics this gen or this century won't change the simple nature of dividing a quantity between a higher number and getting a result. It's not my problem if what these numbers show doesn't align with your expectations.
I have tried and I often got responses that made me bang my head against the wall

Yeah, that NA critics also enjoyed the game, many of whom are giving it GotY, and enjoy plenty of games that aren't just shooters or action games, even if they didn't necessarily love Death Stranding as much as folk in Europe or the rest of the world. His comment was silly and came across as weirdly defensive back then and it does so now as well

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah, that NA critics also enjoyed the game, many of whom are giving it GotY, and enjoy plenty of games that aren't just shooters or action games, even if they didn't necessarily love Death Stranding as much as folk in Europe or the rest of the world. His comment was silly and came across as weirdly defensive back then and it does so now as well
Very well, that's an opinion I'm obliged to respect, one I can even agree with, but not an opinion that contradicts what's been said in the previous conversation, nor justifies being rapidly tagged the way you did. It's frequent around these parts to make a single, isolated comment and end up entagled in long discussions. So I'll limit myself to repeat the original point and its solid evidence: only 5 out of 43 critic's picks for Death Stranding as of now come from the US, a slim 0.11 inferior to any other game in the list and only emulated by Sekiro (for which I could do a similar case).

Yes, all of what you've said is probably true, as it is affirming, based on this data, that the bulk of its support comes from other places in the world, just like he said back then. What I meant isn't harder than that, all the rest seems noise unrelated to my intention.

Oct 26, 2017
Very well, that's an opinion I'm obliged to respect, one I can even agree with, but not an opinion that contradicts what's been said in the previous conversation, nor justifies being rapidly tagged the way you did. It's frequent around these parts to make a single, isolated comment and end up entagled in long discussions. So I'll limit myself to repeat the original point and its solid evidence: only 5 out of 43 critic's picks for Death Stranding as of now come from the US, a slim 0.11 inferior to any other game in the list and only emulated by Sekiro (for which I could do a similar case).

Yes, all of what you've said is probably true, as it is affirming, based on this data, that the bulk of its support comes from other places in the world, just like he said back then. What I say it's not harder than that, all the rest is noise unrelated to me.
It's really on railed on because he added in the part about it being because it's not a shooter. Had he just left it at it being a game that's finding more acclaim in the rest of the world perhaps because of cultural differences, no one, including myself, would've really said anything. Same for any other developer or publisher. The part at it being more acclaimed in other areas isn't what I'm disputing. I'm just disputing the argument he gave for why. The game is still winning the majority of GotY awards so I'm not sure why even had to say that

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018
I think their preference for shooters, whether they come under a camera perspective or another, is out of any question. But I don't see when that particular idea developed into the belief that there's some sort of exclusive inclination toward this kind of experience, above anything else. That's a black or white rhetoric, disconnected from reality or his statement, literally putting words and thoughts on a question where, in the first place, they never existed. We'd be missing the forest for the trees here, if we were to take a comment about an specific situation for the whole gaming community in the US or America.

In regard to the games you mentioned above, I have some data in my next answer that could be of your interest, but I can't resist saying that Japanese or American, FPS or not, five of those games are action-based or straight shooters, with a couple of them being (sadly) testimonial in this thread: MH has a single mention, while DMC V only a pair. Even if they don't belong to the shooter category, they're so badly represented that it's hard to see how they would represent a change of tune in a media devoted, either way, to action as a general form. Let's just take a look into the past, twelve months ago: neither God of War or Red Dead 2 are FPS games, but slashing and shooting are essential parts of the journey, as with any violent game. They might come with different forms, the preference is, in my opinion, still the same.

That same proportion in a game like Control, for example, is almost 50/50. Most interestingly, if we only observe what critics have picked, we see Resident Evil 2 sports a 0.27 percentage under this metric (US vs global). With Death Stranding, the percentage is 0.11. As a final curiosity, Sekiro's ratio is 0.13, while Disco Elysium (with a much lower number of picks) is 0.25. This is objective data, with anomalies on both sides; it probably should be that way, talking as we're doing of subjective choices, not a perfect mathematical model. You can see by yourself that the proportion in this particular case falls significantly below average, even more than in my original point.

The bolded part of your message is all I've meant to say... I though self-evident that by vindication, I wasn't talking about him being righteous in his words, or in the pretense of a supposed problem within the US media, but to ascertain that his diagnosis of European critics favouring more his latest work was, simply put, correct and sustained since release until now.

As for the rest, I suggest you (if you haven't and with all due respect) to read the original interview: he talked about certain types of critics and audience, not the generalization that you're implying. And take also a look, if you can, to my numbers above, where you'll see that Sekiro is not exactly thriving between US' critics. Outer Wilds could be a possible outlier (0.33 ratio), though a marginal one. Of all the comparisons I've done, only Control (the shooter) is hitting above its weight.
The problem with Kojima's defense and the correlation you are drawing is that people in US didn't like Death Stranding simply because it wasn't a shooter. This is asinine to suggest on his part in the multicultural and diverse society of today and part insulting to anyone who doesn't like his game as much as he wants. These numbers only prove that more people liked his game than even he would've expected back when he made that statement.

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, the total number of awards in 2005 was a fraction of what we're getting these last few years lol

RE4 was the most GoTY award winner with 35 counts.

Number 2 was Shadow of the Colossus with 6. RE4 outscored all the other games that got GoTY awards that year combined.
Ahh...that'd explain it :P

In cases like that, I'd go more so with percentages than anything else because, at least from going off of that link, RE4 dominated. Still, RE2R doing well here is impressive

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
I'm just disputing the argument he gave for why. The game is still winning the majority of GotY awards so I'm not sure why even had to say that
I don't know either, though there's something else I don't know and usually think when these questions come around: why should he have said differently, or stay silent? That was his opinion, perhaps it made of him an arrogant or any other word we might come to think about; I just can't find a good reason except for "political correctness" why he should have been afraid of speaking out his mind.

It's only an anecdote, but these cultural clashes (real or fictional) happen very frequently. I'm just finishing a book about film director/screenwriter Robert Rossen (The Hustler, All the King's Men, an Oscar winner) and he said just the same thing about American film press when his last film (Lilith) got released, how European critics have understood what he tried to do, while in his own country many journalist couldn't figure out what he had done or why he had to change his old ways. I see this situation as a new chapter of the same book.

He might have been wrong, all this people might have been, thinking others were the problem and not themselves, but it's not only a matter of pure delusion or egocentrism; after all, its worst criticism have come from the US in specific. Did he exaggerate it all or was too protective of himself? I don't know, I won't get into that. I just run a few numbers hours ago and came here to share the result. I'm going to stick to that point, before the conversation gets too big for my energy to control. ;)

The problem with Kojima's defense and the correlation you are drawing is that people in US didn't like Death Stranding simply because it wasn't a shooter. This is asinine to suggest on his part in the multicultural and diverse society of today and part insulting to anyone who doesn't like his game as much as he wants. These numbers only prove that more people liked his game than even he would've expected back when he made that statement.
I'm not sure he ever went that far, the quote was expressed as speculation, not an affirmation; either way, that's not for me to discuss, it wasn't either the topic of my message, though I've already written here that he could have formulated his opinion differently (at the same time, there's no good reason why he should have to). In short, that's a collateral discussion to the numbers I mentioned. I don't see in those numbers the picture you're describing (0.11 it's a ridiculous percentage that speaks for itself on where the love for this game is mostly not coming from), but again, I understand even numbers might be seen in different ways.

On whether he was wrong and more people like the game than he expected, I have no way of saying; if he got wrong that, I suppose he'd be as happy as anyone in a similar situation. I think what's said by these numbers coexists with any other consideration. After all, what we're seeing is the nº1 pick; not being the favourite or the best doesn't mean it's not appreciated by that very same people. Then again, it doesn't change either that, given the choice, most US magazines have other games in mind. And that's okay.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Totally agree with this

The numbers aren't clear unless you cut out half the context of Kojima's comment out where has insinuated that theyre tastes in fine art arent as refined as in European cultures and that since DS wasn't a shooter they didn't like it. Also calling out empirical evidence that refutes that claim as nothing more than "Diverting" is a Kojima level attempt to dismiss criticism. Are first person shooters winning tons of GoTY awards this year? No. Have they in previous years from NA? No. So actually trying to validate a complete bullshit claim that was nothing but defensive bullshit aimed at dismissing criticism is beyond hilarious. Also as others have pointed out in that that thread, it wasn't JUST NA that hated DS.

Roytheone

Oct 25, 2017

This year has Outer Wilds, DMC V, and Disco Elysium. So three "games of the generation"

Like always in these kind of discussion, the core comes down to "people like other things than other people".
For me outer wilds is my GOTY but it wouldn't even make my top 10 of the generation. Thus, for me 2019 is a very weak year. For others like More_Badass here it has multiple gotg candidates and it is a great year. Thats why posts "I can't understand people thinking year X is a bad year, they are crazy" is the same as saying "I can't understand people having different tastes/opinions about games than me" and there is literally not really any discussion to be done on those points. It's all personal opinions.

Oct 26, 2017
I don't know either, though there's something else I don't know and usually think when these questions come around: why should he have said differently, or stay silent? That was his opinion, perhaps it made of him an arrogant or any other word we might come to think about; I just can't find a good reason except for "political correctness" why he should have been afraid of speaking out his mind.

It's only an anecdote, but these cultural clashes (real or fictional) happen very frequently. I'm just finishing a book about film director/screenwriter Robert Rossen (The Hustler, All the King's Men, an Oscar winner) and he said just the same thing about American film press when his last film (Lilith) got released, how European critics have understood what he tried to do, while in his own country many journalist couldn't figure out what he had done or why he had to change his old ways. I see this situation as a new chapter of the same book.

He might have been wrong, all this people might have been, thinking others were the problem and not themselves, but it's not only a matter of pure delusion or egocentrism; after all, its worst criticism have come from the US in specific. Did he exaggerate it all or was too protective of himself? I don't know, I won't get into that. I just run a few numbers hours ago and came here to share the result. I'm going to stick to that point, before the conversation gets too big for my energy to control. ;)
If it's his opinion that he's freely sharing with the Internet, especially one like that, folk are free to criticize it or call it arrogant. It's not like this is the first time a developer has gotten heat for what they said about the criticism(s) their games have received. He doesn't have to be silent but he should be open to scrutiny

I don't disbelieve that there are cultural differences between regions that can make one piece of media more beloved in one region than another. Never even disputed that. But that's not quite what or how he said it. What and how he said it are why people are criticizing his opinion. Nothing more, nothing less. It's not quite like how that director explained the difference in reception for his film

I'd say he exaggerated it and was too protective, especially when there were other regions that actually gave much lower scores on average than NA, which was more in line with Europe. Keep in mind that this was said in regards to review scores, not awards. But, oh well, this argument has been done so much it's like trying to beat a dead horse that's been buried already. I'll respect your point

SlayerSaint

Jan 6, 2019
Kojima's comment was dumb, end of story. And I like Kojima (but haven't got around to playing DS yet). A lot of the more casual gamers (which does make up the majority) prefer FPSes and a lot of killing, etc but that doesn't mean anything in regards to the critics. The ones who were reviewing his game. The ones giving out GOTY awards.

The big USA award is TGAs and what did they give it to? Sekiro. Years before? God of War, Zelda BOTW, Overwatch, Witcher 3, and Dragon Age Inquisition. Other than TW3 and DA:I, all of those games are very different.

And as for the God of War conversation, God of War didn't push anything forward it was moreso kind of the ultimate AAA experience in 2018, everything AAA games have been striving for around this time GoW does well. That said, it definitely does have something that made it feel pretty new IMO and that's the one shot camera.

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
The numbers aren't clear unless you cut out half the context of Kojima's comment out where has insinuated that theyre tastes in fine art arent as refined as in European cultures and that since DS wasn't a shooter they didn't like it. Also calling out empirical evidence that refutes that claim as nothing more than "Diverting" is a Kojima level attempt to dismiss criticism. Are first person shooters winning tons of GoTY awards this year? No. Have they in previous years from NA? No. So actually trying to validate a complete bullshit claim that was nothing but defensive bullshit aimed at dismissing criticism is beyond hilarious. Also as others have pointed out in that that thread, it wasn't JUST NA that hated DS.
You're clearly writing emotionally, not only because of your colorful language, but also because not a single point expressed in this message is coherent or related to an already finished discussion. I'd try to be precise, but first, I'll say that the question itself is of no importance to me, so my only reason to give you an answer is because I enjoy it. Now, without further ado:

- Whatever intention behind his words, unfortunate or unsensitive as you might think them, it bears no impact on the reviews published those days, or the numbers discussed today. You're of course free to say whatever you want about his persona and his opinions, I'm avoided that topic insistently, I intend to do the same now. In fact, if it pleases you better and for the common goal of kinship, we can invert the argument: 0.89 of critic's picks for this particular game come from Europe or the rest of the world, followed only and closely by Sekiro. The focus can be put on one side or the opposite, as you see, the picture remains identical.

- You misunderstand, and not for the last time. I called his/her "diverting" for what it was, first, because it was practising indirect talk, instead of taking the point straight to me (like we've doing since then without resorting to personal attacks, by the way); and secondly, because he/she introduced the (I'd say uncalled-for) topic of non-shooters and action games acclaimed this generation, a matter I had said no word about and had, in consequence, nothing to do with my comment, the number or his/her criticism toward me. It had to be the umpteenth time in many less hours where the mention of a preference was turned immediately into a total, crushing, absolute adherence to a unique form of expression, or else any opposition to the argument couldn't even begin. And so, empirical evidence for something certainly was, but not, in my opinion, for the matter at hand.

- Your second and third misunderstandings come in the form of questions. You've already insulted me once, so if I respectfully call these questions "simplistic", I don't believe you can't take it much more badly. But they're simplistic, because they reduce the whole conversation to an all-or-nothing logic, and on top of that, disregard the original question to create new arguments and goalposts. Tell me, if you don't mind, in those words you care so much about, where did he say anything about GOTY awards? Where did he explicitly mention that having a preference for FPS had to result and be expressed through a rain of awards and accolades? Is your belief that this is the only way to show appreciation? That this is what he meant, though he didn't say a word about it? Well, I believe we both know the answers.

- Therefore, what was the bullshit claim? That Europeans were the ones that liked his work the most. There's a B-side on that as you know, but I never said anything about it. And what was the defense, you say? A number, a division, pretty simple thing. If the number's not wrong, if the bullshit claim aligns after two months with such number, I think we can end this conversationk, accept things as they come, and move on from this.

PS: I find it ironic that your final words were about hate. Again, it's all in-or-out, either they love it to pieces or they hate it to death. Any preference must be absolute, it seems.

If it's his opinion that he's freely sharing with the Internet, especially one like that, folk are free to criticize it or call it arrogant. It's not like this is the first time a developer has gotten heat for what they said about the criticism(s) their games have received. He doesn't have to be silent but he should be open to scrutiny

I don't disbelieve that there are cultural differences between regions that can make one piece of media more beloved in one region than another. Never even disputed that. But that's not quite what or how he said it. What and how he said it are why people are criticizing his opinion. Nothing more, nothing less. It's not quite like how that director explained the difference in reception for his film

I'd say he exaggerated it and was too protective, especially when there were other regions that actually gave much lower scores on average than NA, which was more in line with Europe. Keep in mind that this was said in regards to review scores, not awards. But, oh well, this argument has been done so much it's like trying to beat a dead horse that's been buried already. I'll respect your point
Fair enough. Just for the record, I haven't questioned at all any criticism toward him, even less the liberty to do it. Your first paragraph turns around such idea and though you might be reflecting aloud, I have not said anything remotely against that concept. On your second point, that kind of criticizing is what comes next (of course Rossen was attacked by speaking against critics, he was only spared some of that by dying soon after that). Right in the sentence before mentioning shooters, Kojima spoke about "difficulty to understand" (due to their preferences), exactly the same as Rossen in the 60s, or many others at one point or another. It's not that the argument is original or new, it's a protective solution, as we've both said, I only happen to think is one substantiated by facts, though that's clearly a point of contention. Finally, I think by others regions you mean Oceania, which might have ten outlets of relevance at most. I'd say that's at a totally different level.

And of course, that was then, and this is now, I've just made the connection between both points. It's not that I cared that much when I wrote that single line, but here I am, discussing with half a dozen people about this. Anyway, glad to have this conversation, I respect and understand your position too.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
You're clearly writing emotionally, not only because of your colorful language, but also because not a single point expressed in this message is coherent or related to an already finished discussion. I'd try to be precise, but first, I'll say that the question itself is of no importance to me, so my only reason to give you an answer is because I enjoy it. Now, without further ado:

- Whatever intention behind his words, unfortunate or unsensitive as you might think them, it bears no impact on the reviews published those days, or the numbers discussed today. You're of course free to say whatever you want about his persona and his opinions, I'm avoided that topic insistently, I intend to do the same now. In fact, if it pleases you better and for the common goal of kinship, we can invert the argument: 0.89 of critic's picks for this particular game come from Europe or the rest of the world, followed only and closely by Sekiro. The focus can be put on one side or the opposite, as you see, the picture remains identical.

- You misunderstand, and not for the last time. I called his/her "diverting" for what it was, first, because it was practising indirect talk, instead of taking the point straight to me (like we've doing since then without resorting to personal attacks, by the way); and secondly, because he/she introduced the (I'd say uncalled-for) topic of non-shooters and action games acclaimed this generation, a matter I had said no word about and had, in consequence, nothing to do with my comment, the number or his/her criticism toward me. It had to be the umpteenth time in many less hours where the mention of a preference was turned immediately into a total, crushing, absolute adherence to a unique form of expression, or else any opposition to the argument couldn't even begin. And so, empirical evidence for something certainly was, but not, in my opinion, for the matter at hand.

- Your second and third misunderstandings come in the form of questions. You've already insulted me once, so if I respectfully call these questions "simplistic", I don't believe you can't take it much more badly. But they're simplistic, because they reduce the whole conversation to an all-or-nothing logic, and on top of that, disregard the original question to create new arguments and goalposts. Tell me, if you don't mind, in those words you care so much about, where did he say anything about GOTY awards? Where did he explicitly mention that having a preference for FPS had to result and be expressed through a rain of awards and accolades? Is your belief that this is the only way to show appreciation? That this is what he meant, though he didn't say a word about it? Well, I believe we both know the answers.

- Therefore, what was the bullshit claim? That Europeans were the ones that liked his work the most. There's a B-side on that as you know, but I never said anything about it. And what was the defense, you say? A number, a division, pretty simple thing. If the number's not wrong, if the bullshit claim aligns after two months with such number, I think we can end this conversationk, accept things as they come, and move on from this.

PS: I find it ironic that your final words were about hate. Again, it's all in-or-out, either they love it to pieces or they hate it to death. Any preference must be absolute, it seems.

Fair enough. Just for the record, I haven't questioned at all any criticism toward him, even less the liberty to do it. Your first paragraph turns around such idea and though you might be reflecting aloud, I have not said anything remotely against that concept. On your second point, that kind of criticizing is what comes next (of course Rossen was attacked by speaking against critics, he was only spared some of that by dying soon after that). Right in the sentence before mentioning shooters, Kojima spoke about "difficulty to understand" (due to their preferences), exactly the same as Rossen in the 60s, or many others at one point or another. It's not that the argument is original or new, it's a protective solution, as we've both said, I only happen to think is one substantiated by facts, though that's clearly a point of contention. Finally, I think by others regions you mean Oceania, which might have ten outlets of relevance at most. I'd say that's at a totally different level.

And of course, that was then, and this is now, I've just made the connection between both points. It's not that I cared that much when I wrote that single line, but here I am, discussing with half a dozen people about this. Anyway, glad to have this conversation, I respect and understand your position too.
I'll put it in a more cogent and succinct way for you.

1. You seem to not even understand Kojima's original statement or are wrongly attributing game of the year awards with evidence that prove his point. Kojima was referring to game reviews, not game of the year awards. And as others have informed you, NA scores aren't all that distinct from European scores which is mostly the first issue people took with what he said about review scores in NA. It was a completely false narrative that wasn't backed by anything other than his own assumption and conjecture.

2. Its ironic you said my argument was all or nothing given that the very foundation of your own thesis is that outlets from NA not awarding DS game of the year is proof that Kojima was justified in suggesting they generally didn't like the game (even though he was talking about review scores). Not only is it extremely myopic to suggest game of the year awards are a basis to suggest his statements were correct (as if only awarding this one game is the only way an outlet can enjoy the game (it isn't and plenty of places that gave it a good score didn't award it Goty)), its an incredibly hypocritical statement coming from someone claiming others are making all or nothing statements. Apparently only outlets that award DS game of the year are capable of enjoying and appreciating the game.

3. Not sure where you think I insulted you. I never insulted you.

Lyng

Editor at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 27, 2017

Id argue the writing in Disco Elysium alone is just as genre defining then anything last year had. I am curious which two games from last year you think did anything remarkable that would change the genre they are in.

Deleted member 12352

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Damn, Death Stranding cleaning house. I'm shocked but glad... it more than deserves it. Probably the most original title to come out this year.

SlayerSaint

Jan 6, 2019
I you want to see a weak year look at 2012 or 2013. This year was really, really great.

nick-young-confused-face-300x256-nqlyaa.jpg

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
Last edited:

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
Death Stranding is my personal GOTY as well but I think it's (as someone mentioned earlier) one of the very few years it could take the lead as it's the opposite of comfort food. It's probably the most wholly original AAA-budget game released in the last decade with an impressively cohesive design that's not just different for the sake of being so ("I made a random thing"). Yet it can be relentless and ask a lot from the gamer so it will definitely deter a good amount of people. I'm actually surprised all its concepts came together so well and that the game was as polished as it was upon launch.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I've no idea what my personal GOTY would be. I mean, I thought it was either RE2, Judgment or DMC5 but I've just started Sekiro and well... yeah that could take it. Or Death Stranding. I'd like to have said Shenmue 3, but as much as I enjoyed it, its got a few issues that'd stop me from picking it. Still a damn fun game though.

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
I'll put it in a more cogent and succinct way for you.

1. You seem to not even understand Kojima's original statement or are wrongly attributing game of the year awards with evidence that prove his point. Kojima was referring to game reviews, not game of the year awards. And as others have informed you, NA scores aren't all that distinct from European scores which is mostly the first issue people took with what he said about review scores in NA. It was a completely false narrative that wasn't backed by anything other than his own assumption and conjecture.

2. Its ironic you said my argument was all or nothing given that the very foundation of your own thesis is that outlets from NA not awarding DS game of the year is proof that Kojima was justified in suggesting they generally didn't like the game (even though he was talking about review scores). Not only is it extremely myopic to suggest game of the year awards are a basis to suggest his statements were correct (as if only awarding this one game is the only way an outlet can enjoy the game (it isn't and plenty of places that gave it a good score didn't award it Goty)), its an incredibly hypocritical statement coming from someone claiming others are making all or nothing statements. Apparently only outlets that award DS game of the year are capable of enjoying and appreciating the game.

3. Not sure where you think I insulted you. I never insulted you.
I've had a good night's rest, so I hope you're as willing as me to go on with this dance:

- The opening sentence in this, your new line of argumentation, is an ode to the many contradictions permeating all your discourse. In what's a surprising lack of self-awareness, you pretend to accuse me of the very flaws of logic that you just outlined in your previous reasoning. 'Cause it was you, only a few lines above, who established a false equivalence between his original statement, and the absence from these same awards of games representing the genre he pointed as favoured by some; so, what's your true position? The one written a few hours ago, where you tried to use these absence (it's beside the point, but it's doubly wrong either way, if you take a look at other years that are not the most immediate or convenient ones) to support your rhetoric? Or this one you're using now, when we're supposed to forget what you've just said, and assume that, of course, it never happened and I'm actually the one in the wrong? Please, pick an argument and stick with it, otherwise it's impossible to discuss in good faith.

- On game reviews and game awards; the interview was published on November 9th, a single day after release. Its content, in consequence, must be regarded with that context in mind. If you think I was suggesting otherwise, I shall ask you to read again.The original statement was comprised of two parts: an opinion and a fact. The opinion was that certain American critics or players might not understand it because they tend to prefer other experiences, shooter, action-like experiences. This opinion is, as any other, the expression of his point of view. It might be right, it might be wrong, it might be rude or even cocky, choose the adjective you prefer (though it was never part of my original sentence, and I've only mentioned this point when compelled by others, this is at least the third time where I've said as much; not exactly a paradigm of defense). Now, the second part was that European reviewers have liked the game more, or much more. This is the key of all this nonsense: this statement is a description of a reality, based on what was known on November 9th, one day after release. The first batch of reviews evidenced that Group A (Europe and others) rated his work better than Group B (US of A). There's no element of opinion here, because that difference of rating, big or small, was absolutely real, and it has remained as such since day one.

- So you see, this entire question comes from you assuming (instead of asking) that by his words, in my brief first sentence, I was putting my finger on his opinion about one thing (I know better than doing that around here), and not on his description of a different fact. You couldn't know at all what part I was focusing on, you just decided by yourself to embrace for the worst and confront me with your conclusions.

- By the way: you've read that exchange about reviews by regions, so unless you pretend otherwise, you have to know I was already aware of them. My doubt now is, if you had such knowledge too, why did you talk about hate in your previous message? You can't disregard any difference of opinion exposed there (and a difference, there is) and at the same time ignore its whole content and generalise about hateful receptions; if the table is valid, it must be in its integrity, otherwise we had another contradiction in our hands.

- A few loose threads here and there: my thesis (thank you for that), as I've exposed above, it was to put the accent on the better European reception (by November 9th or today, a cold reality all the same), not to ponder on his opinion about the American press. By doing this and studying the numbers, we might see a straight correlation with that original fact, which bears no connection with his views on any other matter. You might say to me: "Oh, then you should have said so". And perhaps I should have done that. Or perhaps I trusted my intention to be clear enough, or (God forgive me) I thought people would ask rather than judge. It doesn't matter, I don't mind answering for a while, as long as the question is clear by the end. For that reason, all your train of though in your second paragraph is out of place and I come to feel it as alien to me, except for one point: that awards are not the beginning nor the end of any display of appreciation, something I totally agree with, if anything, because I had already said that much before, including to you.

- Oh, and I felt insulted by your tone and, second but not least, when you claimed my points to be the object of your hilarity. Call me sensitive, it doesn't take a verbal attack on my mother to know an insult for one.

I believe that answers all. If you have something else to discuss, here I am. If not, I wish you a good day!

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Holy fuckin shit .. RE2 is coming in for the throne. Gained a bunch of new GoTY wins in the last 24 hrs and getting closer to Death Stranding.

Cubed3 (UK) : Resident Evil 2
Gamereactor France (FR) : Resident Evil 2
Gamerweb (PL) : Devil May Cry 5
Zougla (GR) : Resident Evil 2
Globo - G1 (BR) : Control
Unwinnable (US) : Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice
Gamepressure.com (PL) : Disco Elysium
Metacritic (US) : Resident Evil 2
Attack of the Fanboy (US) : Resident Evil 2
DarkZero (UK) : Resident Evil 2

Top 3:

Death Stranding - 59