• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Soulnado

Alt account
Banned
Nov 7, 2019
User Banned (2 Weeks): Trolling After Recently Returning from a Ban for Trolling
DZCfoty.jpg

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
For some reason,didn't included those yet:
Akihabarablues game of the year : Sekiro Shadows Die Twice

Akihabarablues reader's choice game of the year : Sekiro Shadows Die Twice

and they are included in all previous years,except 2018,because they didn't made for that year.
Sekiro is still missing 2 new GOTYs
Included in all those years:

Akihabara Blues (ES): Uncharted 4: A Thief's End
Akihabara Blues Readers' Choice (ES): Uncharted 4: A Thief's End
2015​
Akihabara Blues (ES): Bloodborne​
Akihabara Blues Readers' Choice (ES): Bloodborne​

Akihabara Blues (ES): Sunset Overdrive​
Akihabara Blues Readers' Choice (ES): Alien: Isolation​
Akihabara Blues (ES): The Last of Us
Akihabara Blues Readers' Choice (ES): Grand Theft Auto V​
Akihabara Blues (ES): Dishonored​

DGS

Nov 2, 2017
Tyrol
First they should get rid of user votings and now only US sites matter to fit the narrative of some people here? Come on now.

Deleted member 19924

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Only US based sites are important. All the non-US sites are indie/no name sites.

/s
Lol no I've seen normal sites pick it
First they should get rid of user votings and now only US sites matter to fit the narrative of some people here? Come on now.
I made no references to US or non-US sites so I don't know why youse are jumping to that foul conclusion but there's no debate that IGN and GameSpot are far bigger and prestigious than something like jeuxvideo. It's not about the location, most of the well known sites are simply not picking Death Stranding and it's important to note the sites picking DS are comprised of far fewer staff than those who aren't.

Sadnarav

Nov 6, 2019
I don't know if you're talking about me or not but I've never said that they should get rid of user voting just that they are meaningless to me personally

I think that they should catalog things as they see fit and more thing catalogued the better. I just ignore the user voting

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I made no references to US or non-US sites so I don't know why youse are jumping to that foul conclusion but there's no debate that IGN and GameSpot are far bigger and prestigious than something like jeuxvideo. It's not about the location, most of the well known sites are simply not picking Death Stranding and it's important to note the sites picking DS are comprised of far fewer staff than those who aren't.
jeuxvideo is actually one of the biggest gaming sites in france. some of those other sites tho, they seem pretty small time. not that it makes any difference, their pick counts as much as picks from IGN, gamespot, edge, game informer, eurogamer, etc.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It doesn't matter who has more staff or whatever. Jeuxvideo, as you have mentioned, has over 1.2 million followers on twitter. Not bad for a french-only site? Pretty sure jeuxvideo is far bigger and more prestigious in France then IGN is. But hey, doesn't matter.
IGN = One GOTY award. Jeuxvideo = One GOTY award. So all is good ;)
I know right ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Zem

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
user polls are as useless as the user scores on metacritic. I'm surprised this blog even counts them but it looks like they have for previous years, so carry on. Personally I'd never count something like that.

Tailzo

Oct 27, 2017
Naughty Dog has earned quite a few GOTYs over the years. I do hope Fire Emblem ends up withmore votes though, I enjoyed it a lot :) (It is not my personal Goty though)

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
user polls are as useless as the user scores on metacritic. I'm surprised this blog even counts them but it looks like they have for previous years, so carry on. Personally I'd never count something like that.
it does count them separately tho, so in the end it's clear which game has the most picks from critics, which historically seems to be the overall winner anyway (so the game with most critics picks is usually the game with the most critics+fan votes as well). the notable exception being 2016.

Deleted member 19924

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It doesn't matter who has more staff or whatever. Jeuxvideo, as you have mentioned, has over 1.2 million followers on twitter. Not bad for a french-only site? Pretty sure jeuxvideo is far bigger and more prestigious in France then IGN is. But hey, doesn't matter.
IGN = One GOTY awards. Jeuxvideo = One GOTY award. So all is good ;)
How doesn't it matter who has more staff? A game like Control would have a much harder time convincing a larger company like IGN it is deserving of GOTY than Death Stranding would for a smaller company like jeux. Both would equal exactly one vote in the end.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How doesn't it matter who has more staff? A game like Control would have a much harder time convincing a larger company like IGN it is deserving of GOTY than Death Stranding would for a smaller company like jeux. Both would equal exactly one vote in the end.
Because it doesn't matter.
Jeuxvideo isn't a site/company ran by 2 people. They have a lot of people, too. It's time for you to get rid of that "if it is this and that, it doesn't count or count way more" way of thinking. Just accept the fact that there are editors choice GOTYs based on the picks from the editors of each site and people's choice GOTYs based on the picks from the community of each site. Every pick counts. All are the same. And that's good. Don't try to make special rules because you don't like some of the choices.
Every year we have the same mental gymnastics regarding the GOTY pics.

Deleted member 19924

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Because it doesn't matter.
Jeuxvideo isn't a site/company ran by 2 people. They have a lot of people, too. It's time for you to get rid of that "if it is this and that, it doesn't count or count way more" way of thinking. Just accept the fact that there are editors choice GOTYs based on the picks from the editors of each site and people's choice GOTYs based on the picks from the community of each site. Every pick counts. All are the same. And that's good. Don't try to make special rules because you don't like some of the choices.
Every year we have the same mental gymnastics regarding the GOTY pics.
But IGN is still comprised of more staff and more people to convince than jeux. I don't like Death Stranding and was bored out of my mind having played three hours of the beginning but this is more about games getting their rightful recognition than it is about crapping on DS.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
huh.
this year is going to be a repeat of last year huh.
people trying to discredit the GOTY wins in every way possible.
how long until someone makes a new goty blog again?

Angie22 get ahead of everyone and make a new goty blog again
then make a thread about it.

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018
They don't count sites like PC Gamer but they just included PC Guru Magazine. Unless the magazine also considered Nintendo or PS exclusives the blog isn't even being consistent in its criteria.

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
But IGN is still comprised of more staff and more people to convince than jeux. I don't like Death Stranding and was bored out of my mind having played three hours of the beginning but this is more about games getting their rightful recognition than it is about crapping on DS.
You sure this isn't you just unconsciously trying to validate your own opinions?

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Who cares? Why does this matter? So IGN has more people which automatically means their GOTY award should count twice? Or what are you trying to say here? Why does it matter? The GOTY awards of the biggest sites in germany here are just as much worth as the IGN US award. The GOTY awards of the biggest sites in France are just as much worth as the IGN US award.

The games ARE getting the "rightful recognition". The communities of all those sites AND the editors of all those sites are telling you what their GOTYs are. Both GOTYs do count, should count and that's where we are now. So all good.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They don't count sites like PC Gamer but they just included PC Guru Magazine. Unless the magazine also considered Nintendo or PS exclusives the blog isn't even being consistent in its criteria.
they do, they have console exclusives and non-PC multiplats as winners and nominees in several of their categories.

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
The blog is consistent,PCGuru was included because they cover all the plataforms,PC/PS/XBOX/Nintendo,you can't say the same about PC Gamer,don't make any sense include awards from sites exclusive about a plataform,since it is about overall game of the year,not about PlayStation Game of the Year,Xbox Game of the Year,Nintendo Game of the Year or PC Game of the year,the case of PC Gamer.

Deleted member 19924

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Who cares? Why does this matter? So IGN has more people which automatically means their GOTY award should count twice? Or what are you trying to say here? Why does it matter? The GOTY awards of the biggest sites in germany here are just as much worth as the IGN US award. The GOTY awards of the biggest sites in France are just as much worth as the IGN US award.

The games ARE getting the "rightful recognition". The communities of all those sites AND the editors of all those sites are telling you what their GOTYs are. Both GOTYs do count, should count and that's where we are now. So all good.
You keep making this about country when I'm basically trying to say the opinions of 85 people is collectively worth more than that of say 32 people. REGARDLESS OF COUNTRY.

Anyways, enjoy your awards.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You keep making this about country when I'm basically trying to say the opinions of 85 people is collectively worth more than that of say 32 people. REGARDLESS OF COUNTRY.
That's why for me (!) the people's choice GOTY award, voted by thousands of gamers, is more worth than a GOTY award voted by a few editors. But in the end, both count the same. As they should. People's Choice, Editor's Choice, GOTYs from US sites, GOTY's from european sites, etc. All the same. All good!
Anyways, enjoy your awards.
Same :)

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
Couldn't care less about readers choices for obvious reasons (popularity advantage/fanboys that might not even play the games but still vote), but critics awards are the same for me no matter the site/magazine. They are just opinions from a few people at the end of the day.

Seems like a somewhat close race so far, though I expected RE2 to have more awards since it had great reviews. Glad to see Control and DS getting recognition, but especially the first since the sales were rather poor.

Sekiro is the best one though :p

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
huh.
this year is going to be a repeat of last year huh.
people trying to discredit the GOTY wins in every way possible.
how long until someone makes a new goty blog again?

Angie22 get ahead of everyone and make a new goty blog again
then make a thread about it.
Oh Damn. It's happening...
angie22-super-legit-and-only-goty-list-blog-that-matters.webnode.com

Angie22-super-legit-and-only-goty-list-blog-that-matters

Angie22 Super Legit and Only Goty List Blog that Matters

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
So the rumor that US hated Death Stranding are right no US outlets had Death Strading close to win.
I believe that It will not win from any major US outlets. It will win from smaller ones but I'd take IGN, Gamespot, TGA over them easily - way more visible and more clout.
Who cares? Why does this matter? So IGN has more people which automatically means their GOTY award should count twice?
IMO, it matters big time. Their traffic per month is insane. I don't think it should count twice, but it's a much bigger deal than getting it from lesser unknown sites. Just like when a car wins car of the year. JD Power carries way more prestige than BillyBobCarRatings.com.

I am not going to downplay regional websites because I don't know enough about them, but being that IGN and Gamespot are the most traffic by a large margin, I am sure it's pretty important to them - which is why Remedy made a video thanking them...it's a big deal.

Last edited:

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
Last edited:

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Woo RE2 catching up !

Current > 1 list as per the blog:

Death Stranding - 18
Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice - 12
Control - 9
Resident Evil 2 - 9
Disco Elysium - 2
Fire Emblem: Three Houses - 2
Outer Wilds - 2

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
So in 7 of the past 10 years, the Game Awards GOTY has matched the GOTYPicks GOTY. The only 3 years where they differed were:
2008 - Game Awards: GTA4, GOTYPicks: Fallout 4
2013 - Game Awards: GTA5, GOTYPicks: The Last of Us
2016 - Game Awards: Overwatch, GOTYPicks: Uncharted 4

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
Resident Evil 2 is finally getting the recognition it deserves.
So in 7 of the past 10 years, the Game Awards GOTY has matched the GOTYPicks GOTY. The only 3 years where they differed were:
2008 - Game Awards: GTA4, GOTYPicks: Fallout 4
2013 - Game Awards: GTA5, GOTYPicks: The Last of Us
2016 - Game Awards: Overwatch, GOTYPicks: Uncharted 4
The Last of Us was the biggest robbed ever, at the same award show they gave Naughty Dog the best studio, how do you award Naughty Dog as best studio of the year, but give GOTY to GTA V?
This will be another year,I stick with my predication,the overall GOTY will be Death Stranding or Resident Evil 2,reader's choice will define the winner this year.

Last edited:

Roytheone

Oct 25, 2017
DS seemed to have taken a decent sized lead but it seems it is slowly closing again. This could end up down to the wire. Wonder if the difference stays very small if they can actually call a winner at some point since you always have late entries that could tip the scales.

Status
Not open for further replies.