• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
A remake so high in the gotys is a great indicator how incredible safe and boring this industry has become in the AAA sector.

Death Stranding should be the obvious choice hence it being divisive. Control seems fine as well. Both games offer something unique. I want more games like that and less remakes and sequels.

RE2 is much more of a re-imagining of the original than just a straight remake. I don't think it would get as much attention in the GotY awards if it were more faithful to the original. Just look at how SotC performed last year. It's a legendary game but didn't win a single GotY award. And that's really down to it being very much a straight remake.

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
A remake so high in the gotys is a great indicator how incredible safe and boring this industry has become in the AAA sector.

Death Stranding should be the obvious choice hence it being divisive. Control seems fine as well. Both games offer something unique. I want more games like that and less remakes and sequels.
Quality has nothing to do with a game being a remake or something new though.

RE2 was a remake that also changed things up both in design and gameplay as well as introduced new people to the game and series. To dismiss that, and it's overall quality simply because its a remake is pretty bad take.

Death Stranding shouldn't get any GOTY just for being unique. It should get them for being a quality title with mechanics and aspects worthy of praise. Being garbage but different isn't an obvious choice for any reason.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Quality has nothing to do with a game being a remake or something new though.

RE2 was a remake that also changed things up both in design and gameplay as well as introduced new people to the game and series. To dismiss that, and it's overall quality simply because its a remake is pretty bad take.

Death Stranding shouldn't get any GOTY just for being unique. It should get them for being a quality title with mechanics and aspects worthy of praise. Being garbage but different isn't an obvious choice for any reason.
Remakes are still rehashes of things we already had in another form. These games should not be up for GOTY votes. Resident Evil 2 might be an amazing game but still, it's "just" a remake. It's even worse when games like Zelda Links Awakening are considered GOTY candidates. These games already had their time and they are still great games but I don't consider them GOTY candidates no matter how well they are made.

Death Stranding isn't garbage. It's a fantastic game with great gameplay and story. Same is probably true for Control which I didn't play yet but absolutely will when I get a new PC and all the DLC is out.

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
Remakes are still rehashes of things we already had in another form. These games should not be up for GOTY votes. Resident Evil 2 might be an amazing game but still, it's "just" a remake. It's even worse when games like Zelda Links Awakening are considered GOTY candidates. These games already had their time and they are still great games but I don't consider them GOTY candidates no matter how well they are made.

Death Stranding isn't garbage. It's a fantastic game with great gameplay and story. Same is probably true for Control which I didn't play yet but absolutely will when I get a new PC and all the DLC is out.
I didn't say DS was garbage, I haven't played it and have no opinion about it. I was pointing out unique means nothing in relation to quality regarding your implication it's the obvious choice just because its different which is an outright fallacy.

Your points might have some merit if we were talking about a touched up remaster, I'd agree there because it's literally the same game but RE 2 should be a candidate, it's a brand new title weather you like it or not XD

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017

Complaining about some games being too "safe" to be considered GOTY is such an insulting take that shows just how little you understand what goes into making one of these games. Nothing that requires millions and millions of dollars and the coordination of hundreds of talented people across numerous disciplines is "easy" or "safe" to pull off. See the countless other games over the years that even with a big budget ended anywhere from middling to terrible. All of these games take a shit ton of effort to make, and can end up poor for any number of reasons. Regardless of whether the game has an original story or not, it's a miracle when any game comes together into as compelling an experience as RE2 Remake did.

And yes, outside of a handful of scenes at the end of the game, everything about Death Stranding's story and the way that it's told is garbage. And I say that as somebody who likes the game.

Last edited:

Sadnarav

Nov 6, 2019
I think that uniqueness can be a measure of quality. It's all very personal

In the end of the day every game can be a GOTY. Hell, RDR2 has won one at least.

Being a remake, a PC port or a divisive game, it's just a game that the editorial staff of the site decided as a whole it was their favourite of what they played

Skyrim was "winner" of 2011 and I would argue that today for most people Dark Souls is better than Skyrim and I think that it is undeniable that Dark Souls casts a longer shadow then Skyrim

It's all arbitrary non-sense, really fun for me, but non-sense and being too serious about "What Should or Should Not" be a GOTY is silly

Furisco

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Don't worry, the extremely well designed video game will lose to the overhyped cinematic masterpiece seeking attention from the movie industry and The Gamers that want to be taken seriously.

R.T Straker

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017

An actual human being actually wrote this.

Lmao.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Complaining about some games being too "safe" to be considered GOTY is such an insulting take that shows just how little you understand what goes into making one of these games. Nothing that requires millions and millions of dollars and the coordination of hundreds of talented people across numerous disciplines is "easy" or "safe" to pull off. See the countless other games over the years that even with a big budget ended anywhere from middling to terrible. All of these games take a shit ton of effort to make, and can end up poor for any number of reasons. Regardless of whether the game has an original story or not, it's a miracle when any game comes together into as compelling an experience as RE2 Remake did.

And yes, outside of a handful of scenes at the end of the game, everything about Death Stranding's story and the way that it's told is garbage. And I say that as somebody who likes the game.
Resident Evil 2 remake is probably the second safest game I can think of right after FFVII remake, lol.

And telling me how hard developers have to work to accomplish something like Resident Evil 2 and then calling Death Stranding "garbage" is really classy of you xD

Sadnarav

Nov 6, 2019
Resident Evil 2 remake is probably the second safest game I can think of right after FFVII remake, lol.

And telling me how hard developers have to work to accomplish something like Resident Evil 2 and then calling Death Stranding "garbage" is really classy of you xD
I disagree enormously with the FF7R take

I mean, a FF7R could be safe as fuck but they are making a lot of bold and weird moves with that series of games that in and out of itself is kinda bonkers

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017

Calling RE2R "safe" is just as worthy of an eye roll. It's an entirely new game, nothing from the original remains, which is a cult classic. Entirely new perspective, encounter, game design. All that, while retaining the original's atmosphere. The game could easily have been a disaster that sullies the RE2 name, but instead its the opposite. And there is nothing "safe" about the FF7 remake either. Jesus, how could anyone actually think that? The game is shaping up to be so ambitious and expanded compard to the original they they're releasing it in multiple parts. Safe my ass.

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
You're conflating two different things:
  • the effort put in by the people who made the game
  • the quality of the final product
When you call a game "safe", you're dismissing the effort that was put into a project despite the incredibly hard work of hundreds of people and the millions of dollars that they spent to make the game. They could have done all of this, and yet the game could have still come out underbaked, but somehow they managed to pull it off, and that's commendable because no game is guaranteed to be great.

The other side of that coin is that sometimes a lot of really talented people work really hard and spend a lot of money to make something they're passionate about, and for one reason or another the end result still doesn't come out good. That's Death Stranding's story. It's bad. But you're certainly entitled to like it.

All I'm saying is that it's fair game to criticize a product, but shitty to criticize the people who made it and essentially call their efforts "lazy" or "safe".

Last edited:

Furisco

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can literally smell the salt in this post. Delicious.
Just seems like you don't know a lot about game design, my man

But tbh i don't blame you, most people that write in this industry don't know either and that's why shit like Death Stranding gets so much praise
451447368043462656.png

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Blog updated,yeah,now I am sure he is looking here,since all the last picks I posted where add.I hope more new games wins GOTY,and no,this isn't 2014 PART 2,this year is so much better than 2014,just because it didn't have a God of War,Red Dead Redemption 2 or Zelda like last years don't mean the year sucked,weaker,but not terrible like 2014 or 2012.

Yeah calling this 2014 part 2 is utterly ridiculous. Personally, this has been one of my favorite years, and I still need to play Astral Chain, Goose Game, Remnant From The Ashes, Plagues Tale, Pathologic 2(which I'll be starting today or tomorrow), and Fallen Order.

Struggled to put together a complete Top 10 list of games I felt strongly about last year. This year I'll be forced to snub stuff I really dig.

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017

Last year the seventh God of War game swept GOTYs, and before that, the 16th or so Zelda game. What's different now that we are to draw the line at remakes? RE2make is a fundamentally different game from the original on every level.

The core of games are game design. So it stands to reason that the best-designed game should ideally be the game of the year, should it not? Originality and uniqueness are all fine and good, but how original and unique are games like Death Stranding and Control really when the market is flooded in open world games and third-person shooters, not to mention both games follow from the developers previous games which were also open world gamed with gruff, grumpy white males, and 3rd person shooters with superpowers, respectively. So what are the defining qualifiers here, then? We have other games this year like Baba Is You, Astral Chain and Disco Elysium that were plenty original, probably more so than the likes of Control, but I don't see much in the way of nominations. Or clamor for those to be nominated, like what Death Stranding is getting.

Last edited:

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Imo, a Game of the Year should have at least a bit of "universal acclaim". But thats just me.

A GOTY award is supposed to be about how you feel about the game, other people's opinions are irrelevant in that decision. So at these outlets enough people individually felt Death Standing was good enough to make it their overall GOTY.

Furisco

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 day): inappropriate comparison, antagonising other members
That is surprising considering how much you seem to despise Kojima.

But I will credit you for trying it out.
I don't really despise Kojima, i just think he likes the taste of his own dick a bit too much, just like his fans.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Calling RE2R "safe" is just as worthy of an eye roll. It's an entirely new game, nothing from the original remains, which is a cult classic. Entirely new perspective, encounter, game design. All that, while retaining the original's atmosphere.
Oh shit. That's why when I saw some playing it on YouTube it looked different. I kept saying I don't remember this from the original..

Will definitely have to check it out now.

Sadnarav

Nov 6, 2019
Yeah calling this 2014 part 2 is utterly ridiculous. Personally, this has been one of my favorite years, and I still need to play Astral Chain, Goose Game, Remnant From The Ashes, Plagues Tale, Pathologic 2(which I'll be starting today or tomorrow), and Fallen Order.

Struggled to put together a complete Top 10 list of games I felt strongly about last year. This year I'll be forced to snub stuff I really dig.
Exactly. I have a list of 20+ years I haven't played from 2019 and sounds really great

And I think that don't having The Game With Most Marketing winning all the awards this year and having a really diverse pool is so great

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
A GOTY award is supposed to be about how you feel about the game, other people's opinions are irrelevant in that decision. So at these outlets enough people individually felt Death Standing was good enough to make it their overall GOTY.
Yup.

I just looked up last years picks and Kingdom Come Deliverance got at least one vote. I stopped when I saw the first vote.

That game had lower review scores than Death Stranding. It's just that Death Stranding has multiple votes right now. It is what it is.

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
Oh didn't realize Sekiro has caught up with Control with 5 awards. That is surprising.

Could this be From Software's most successful game in terms of GOTY awards.

jawzpause

Nov 7, 2017
I'll be happy if RE2, Sekiro or Death Stranding win but i if i had to pick I'd go with Sekiro. Such a shame so many people didn't give it a chance due to its difficulty, it really is a fantastic game

Rzarekta

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Why? It's obvious.
It's a controversial 82 rated game (which is lower than Dragon Age Inquisition mind you) that clearly wouldnt even make to the top 5 in the previous 4 or 5 years.

And yeah, Ive played It.
Bullshit. Nice try though. Death Stranding is a game of the generation contender. Watching someone play for a few minutes on YouTube or playing for 30 minutes to justify your shit talk doesn't count. I'm willing to bet you did not buy and play through the game (like many of the haters on this forum). Death Stranding also has more perfect scores than any other game this year, by the way (since you brought up reviews). So yup, it's game of the year for sure. Salty haters won't be able to handle this amazing game winning the most awards, unfortunately.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Bullshit. Nice try though. Death Stranding is a game of the generation contender. Watching someone play for a few minutes on YouTube or playing for 30 minutes to justify your shit talk doesn't count. I'm willing to bet you did not buy and play through the game (like many of the haters on this forum). Death Stranding also has more perfect scores than any other game this year, by the way (since you brought up reviews). So yup, it's game of the year for sure. Salty haters won't be able to handle this amazing game winning the most awards, unfortunately.
this post is amazing

Paquete_PT

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Why? It's obvious.
It's a controversial 82 rated game (which is lower than Dragon Age Inquisition mind you) that clearly wouldnt even make to the top 5 in the previous 4 or 5 years.

And yeah, Ive played It.
It's so obvious that people are giving it awards left and right just to mess with you right? Even ignoring that you haven't really said anything about the game to make it "obvious", have you consider that people might like a game you don't? And 82 is the average, the game has a lot of 10/10 scores on metacritic

benzopil

Oct 25, 2017
is this a copypasta

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017

DS fanbase to Undertale fanbase: Hold my beer.

Mr. Poolman

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
If Death Stranding is the best that gaming has to offer this year, then this has been a truly pathetic year.

Johannes

Oct 28, 2017

With a quick glance it seems that RE2 has more perfect 10/10 scores.

opencritic.com

Resident Evil 2 Critic Reviews

Visualize Resident Evil 2's reviews and see how it stacks up against othe games on OpenCritic. With 206 critic reviews, it currently has a 'Mighty' rating and ranks in the 100 percentile.

opencritic.com

Death Stranding Critic Reviews

Visualize Death Stranding's reviews and see how it stacks up against othe games on OpenCritic. With 201 critic reviews, it currently has a 'Strong' rating and ranks in the 89 percentile.

Maybe it's a different story in MetaCritic.

Having said this, I don't mind that Death Stranding is currently leading the GotY pics. I didn't finish the game, but it definitely was something different which can't be said from many other AAA titles so props to that. Also, great to see Control sitting currently in the #2 spot.

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
Can you imagine if the lowest scored and the most divisive Kojima's game being the overall game of the year? Something not even the most beloveds one and universally praised couldn't.And Sekiro,not the most praised Miyazaki's game is mostly likely will be his most awarded game,this year is a particular year for sure.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I asked before in another thread. But is this the first time where when people talk about DS metascore , the most 10/10 scores are brought up. Never have I ever seen people bring up this thing, even for 95+ metascore games, they talk about the average . Im just really curious the reasoning behind that. like what suddenly changed?

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
I asked before in another thread. But is this the first time where when people talk about DS metascore , the most 10/10 scores are brought up. Never have I ever seen people bring up this thing, even for 95+ metascore games, they talk about the average . Im just really curious the reasoning behind that. like what suddenly changed?
People gotta come up with whatever reasoning they can to justify their gaming preferences

Status
Not open for further replies.