• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fancy Clown

Oct 25, 2017
Come on Resi 2, show all those bloated open-world games who's king.

Resi 2 is the balm to AAA bloat I've been craving for a while. Wastes no time giving you control and throwing you in difficult situations, barely any walk-and-talk, and just about no filler whatsoever. It's remarkably to the point and efficient (on top of having great ideas to make it a more compelling "survival horror" experience in the same way the first REmake did for its predecessor). But it still has all the AAA shine and polish you would expect, and it plays like a dream too. Really good game. I haven't played Sekiro yet but that's the only potential other contender for me.

Slim Action

Jul 4, 2018
Control already on the board makes me happy.

From what I've played I'd support:

Disco Elysium
Death Stranding
Control
Sekiro
Resident Evil 2
Fire Emblem: Three Houses

SlimeKnight

Jan 2, 2018
Disco Elysium, Slay the Spire, and Fire Emblem Three Houses for me. Haven't got around to playing Luigi's Mansion 3 yet, but from what I've seen of the game, I wouldn't be at all surprised if it cracks my list as well.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Sekiro
Resident Evil 2
Mario Maker 2
Death Stranding
Smash Bros if it counts

I'm happy with any of those

Oct 31, 2017
Gonna preface this by saying that I take advantage of GOTY threads all the time, but:

I feel like there should be GOTY threads for years that are, like, 5 years old. Because for many of us, our GOTY list is just an ordered list of what we were able to play that year, whereas once time has passed, we've actually caught up on much of what released that year.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
This will be a pretty interesting year for this stuff. Nothing really stands out as a singular entity that will rake most of the awards in.

Hope the smaller games get their due. Outer Wilds is absolutely incredible.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
My hot take is that Ring Fit Adventure will get show up on this list twice

hideousarmor

May 9, 2019
ngl REmake winning would be pretty depressing
I'd imply 3 consecutive GOTYs going to old, well established IPs.
All 3 of those are great games but at least Botw and GoW made a way bigger jump to innovate on their prior entries compared to this. Which is, again, a remake.
If we dismiss all of this and just focus on pure game merits, then I have to say that the game got pretty bad once you get out of the police station.
Feels like many people just enjoy it because of the great fidelity in graphics and it being probably the most accessible title when compared to other GOTY contenders like disco elysium, outer wilds, sekiro, death stranding..etc
Im hearing from many outlets that this was a weird year with not many notable AAA -GoW tier releases and I hate to say it but feels like they are just picking RE2 because old thing == good + realism == good and they arent even giving a chance to these other great releases.

Deleted member 35204

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 3, 2017
REmake 2 truly feels the best game this year in my opinion, i hope it'll beat Death Stranding which I also enjoyed but... meh.

Cloud-Strife

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 27, 2019
Star Wars : Jedi Fallen Order and Control

PS: RDR2? that game already lost to God of War last year

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Sekiro and Three Houses have higher Metas than Control and DS by a decent bit so that would be a little weird.
Regardless of reviews - outlets are always gonna go with the safest choice played by most people....so just because of the genre and the systems they are on RE2 and Control are a "better" look than something like 3H.

MeltedDreams

Oct 27, 2017
A lot of different games will win bunch of awards this year. Rooting for Resident Evil 2 personally. Capcom had great year.

re2su.gif

DMVfan123

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
Hoping Respawn gets a lot of recognition during awards season for Apex Legends and Fallen Order, top 5 studio don't @ me
Also hoping Outer Worlds takes home some hardware

nDesh

The Three Eyed Raven
Oct 27, 2017
From Software is the DiCaprio of the industry.

Is Sekiro their Revenant?

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
Disco Elysium, Control, Sekiro, Resident Evil 2 Remake, and Pathologic 2 are my top 5 this year. Control surprised me and probably would have been my #1 if it weren't for DE. Honorary mention to DMCV.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
There are still +400 more awards to come btw so it's still early to declare anything, also I doubt we'll get such a tight race like last year, GoW and RDR2 were pretty much neck to neck for the majority of the time until at the end GoW started gaining much more and ran with it.

Deleted member 12833

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Pretty soft year.Death Stranding being the standout game this year. I found Sekiro disappointing and RE2 good but not standout. Outer Worlds started good but I soured on it.

Spacejaws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
Sooooo was Smash Brothers ommited from GOTY contender last year because it was so late in the year? Is it valid for this year?

I'm rooting for Sekiro and Death Stranding but if Smash Brothers is viable I mean damn I think it wins.

metalgear89

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Death stranding has been very refreshing for me so it has my vote and for the meltdowns of a kojima game winning .

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
RDR 2....well that's interesting, lol.

Too soon for Death Stranding?

Days Gone, fuck it.

I think Disco Elysium gets it, keep hearing good things about it.

Rzarekta

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Death Stranding is hands down GOTY. RE2 was awesome, but compared to Death Stranding? Lol come on now... Sekiro should hopefully get more awards than RE2, but I have a feeling Death Stranding will win more than people think, including on Era.

PinkSpider

Oct 27, 2017
I can't go a day without at least one go at Slay the Spire so it's gotta be that, I keep meaning to uninstall it so I can play something else but the new character is holding me back (And a ton more of the harder content to get through).

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
Shadowbringers probably. But if I had to pick a standalone game it's probably Astral Chain, but I need like a list of the big releases because I don't even remember what released this year at this point.

There's lots of ports and remakes that are up in my top too.

Status
Not open for further replies.