• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Stencil

Oct 30, 2017
USA
I don't assume it's still on sale? I keep hearing about this, this would get me to bite on Switch. Need a new timesink

Lyng

Editor at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
keyboard or controller for this one ? bought it yesterday

Keyboard and mouse for the bow, controller for everything else.

Also yeah people just buy Hades. It's not only SG's best game but in general an absolute masterpiece.
The way the story and gameplay is beautifully knit together truly pushes the roguelite genre to new heights.

Oh and the dialogue's and voice acting are top tier. Well actually everything about this damn game is top tier.

Buy it for Bouldy!

VG Aficionado

Nov 6, 2017
I'm on the verge of getting this one. Watching "Blood of Zeus" these days may be pushing me.

For:
- I enjoy Greek mythology
- I enjoy good narrative and storylines
- I might enjoy roguelike/lite mechanics
- I usually agree with extremely well reviewed games

Against:
- I'm not keen on isometric perspective
- I played Bastion and finished it, I remember the narrative was great but that's all
- I couldn't get into Transistor, it did nothing for me
- Looking at the top 50 roguelike/lite games on Steam, there's only two I really enjoyed: Rogue Legacy and Immortal Redneck

I suppose I won't be very disappointed by purchasing Hades, but will I feel like I played a GOTY contender?

OnanieBomb

Oct 25, 2017
I'm on the fence, but now I'm having some doubts since this has that whole gradually accumulating meta progression thing. Not a big fan of this mechanic. I felt like the Zero Punctuation review had a pretty good metaphor about how this can become grating over time.

I think this was how Dead Cells was structured and I kinda lost interest after 8 hours or so.

Last edited:

Dezzy

Oct 25, 2017
USA
I wasn't sure I'd like this game going by reviews and videos, and also just not being a fan of Supergiants other games. It wouldn't feel right if I didn't buy at least 1 game during the Steam sale, so I got it anyway. Played for over 4 hours without even realizing it. It really is a great game.
I'd say anyone who was a fan of games like Binding of Isaac or Rogue Legacy, give it a shot. It plays nothing like them, but it scratches a similar itch in a very different way. It's very fast paced and a lot of fun.

Luke88

One Winged Slayer
Dec 29, 2018
Italy
I'm on the fence, but now I'm having some doubts since this has that whole gradually accumulating meta progression thing. Not a big fan of this mechanic. I felt like the Zero Punctuation review had a pretty good metaphor about how this can become grating over time.

I think this was how Dead Cells was structured and I kinda lost interest after 8 hours or so.
C'mmon give it a shot, there's a reason why it has a 92 on Metacritic, imho the narrative does a wonderful job at keeping your interest in your first runs, you want to meet all the Gods, see their artworks and their attitudes and then you find your favourites between them and the people in the house of Hades, so you want to meet them more to learn more about them and in no time you're close to finishing the game, yet there's still an enormous amount of dialogue, characters to meet and abilities to be discovered.

Zissou

Oct 26, 2017

I generally hate meta progression stuff (I played Dead Cells for around four hours and then lost interest). To me, the joy of roguelikes is personal improvement rather than stat boosts giving an artificial sense of progress— FTL, Into the Breach, and Slay the Spire are maybe my three favorite games of the past decade. That being said, Hades is one of the only roguelites with progression (along with Void Bastards) that I've actually enjoyed, for whatever that's worth.

blame space

Resettlement Advisor
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
whoever is presenting the game of the year at the game awards better say, "HADES, BABY!"

Trey

Oct 25, 2017

All gameplay progression is completely optional.

Dezzy

Oct 25, 2017
USA
I should have never doubted this game. It's amazing and addicting. Era was right this time.
I love trying all the different weapons and power up combinations. So far though I've always done best with the spear, and worst with the sword.

This game inspired me to get Curse of the Dead Gods which is also pretty good.