• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which game is your GOTY so far

• The Last of Us 2

Votes: 1,396 45.9%
  • Final Fantasy VII Remake

Votes: 489 16.1%
  • Animal Crossing

Votes: 372 12.2%
  • Doom Eternal

Votes: 138 4.5%
  • Ori & The Will of the Wisps

Votes: 191 6.3%
  • Other (Please state)

Votes: 453 14.9%

• Total voters

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
TLOU2 and Ori 2 are up there for me. In terms of impact, TLOU2 has really stayed with me, so it'll likely be that unless something else surprises/surpasses it for me.

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
So far it's Troubleshooter: Abandoned Children for me, but I've also really enjoyed The Longing and Signs of the Sojourner.

Yup yup.

Troubleshooter is gonna go down as one of the best games in recent years that no one played.

Really dig The Longing too. What a novel concept with great exectuion.

1. Doom Eternal
2. Desperados III
3. C&C Remaster

Great year so far, and i have very high expectations for Cyberpunk

C&C Remaster is so damn baller. 100% going into my Top 5 this year.

I own Desperados III but my PC is on the fritz so I'm waiting to get that fixed before diving in proper.

Spazgadget

Oct 25, 2017
The Last of Us Part 2 seems a lock, if for no other reason than the mind-blowing production values on display, but I also have to give a nod to Animal Crossing, which I think was the perfect game to launch in the middle of global upheaval. It is sort of the perfect storm of charm, escapism, and joy that is so needed right now, so need to give it it's due. While Last of Us gets my vote for game of the year, I'd give Animal Crossing "gaming moment of the year"

Also Ghost of Tsushima needs to be on this list somewhere.

Elementje

Dec 26, 2017
Ori and the Will of the Wisps
FF VII: Remake
Valorant
Ghost of Tsushima

Really looking forward to Blightbound and Othercide at the end of the month.

Hopewell

Jan 17, 2018
I've only played TLOU2 and Animal Crossing this year.
But TLOU2 has become my favorite game of all time so I don't see how any other games could be my GOTY.

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
Animal Crossing got me through the COVID lockdown and allows me to "hang out" with my elderly mom. It's her very first video game and we've had a lot of fun together even while we are apart. Was it the best made game this year? Not by a long shot - but it's the one I will remember forever.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I don't really have one. This year kinda sucks. Nioh 2 was fine but I wouldn't really call it a game of the year kind of game.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
I don't really have one. This year kinda sucks. Nioh 2 was fine but I wouldn't really call it a game of the year kind of game.

Im in the same boat but for a completely different reason

I ended up playing a bunch of games in my backlog this year as well as persistently active titles like Monster Hunter World

I did make time to finish Last of Us 2 but that game, while good, was a very conflicting game to play considering the state of the world right now. Its top notch stuff but not the story I really wanted to experience in these dark times.

Maybe my mind will shift when I finally get around to FF7 remake and RE3 in near future. Maybe even Ghost of Tsushima as well.

HMD

Oct 26, 2017
TLOU PII is just state of the art EVERYTHING with exceptional story/gameplay. We will probably not see anything come close to it until the next SSM, Rockstar, or ND game.

FFVII R is a close second just because I loved it so much despite its flaws.

Fanuilos

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
TLoU2 is my pick by far. FF7R, Persona 5 Royal, Animal Crossing and Ghost of Tsushima deserve a nod too.

Cloud-Strife

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 27, 2019
So many good games but TLOU 2 is just something you have to experience as a gamer.. it's just special.

Coolluck

Oct 27, 2017
TLOU 2 and I doubt that changes. I was in awe so many times and still tear up thinking about it.

Ubik

Nov 13, 2018
Canada
1. Kentucky Route Zero
2. The Last of Us Part II
3. Animal Crossing: New Horizon

I think that's a really strong top 3 for me. I have been pretty happy with this year (didn't think there would be any context I could write that sentence)

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Right now it's TLOU 2, but Ghost of Tsushima is very, very close. Love both of them. Also put almost 300 hours into Animal Crossing and I was addicted to it for a while, but it has a lot of annoyances and lackluster post-launch support so far.

DeeDubs

Oct 28, 2017
I've played so little that's done much for me this year besides FF7. I'm waiting for new consoles to play most of the stuff I want to just in case though.

Xavien

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 3, 2017
Half Life: Alyx, Finished it the other day and its truly a spectacular experience.

Check it out

Oct 25, 2017
Out of what I've played that came out this year.

1. Ori and the Will of The Wisps
2. Ghost of Tsushima
3. Last of Us PT 2
4. Persona 5 Royal
5. Animal Crossing
6. Doom Eternal
7. FFVII REmake

Last edited:

Pineconn

Oct 27, 2017
Ohio
Bug Fables and it's not even close. What a charming game. Fantastic level design, combat system, story, writing, and main cast. It's an indie game that may as well been produced by a legit full studio.

Rainy

Oct 25, 2017
This thread was actually close yesterday night but looks like TLOU2 ran away with it. That'd be my choice as well. Then FF7R. P5R might sneak it's way in there somehow along with GoT but I need to finish both first.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I voted "other" for Half-Life: Alyx.

Game has a 93 on Metacritic with 68 reviews, I can't be the only one to think this.

pants

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
All of those games are fantastic, but The Last of Us: Part II is on a whole 'nother level

Apr 19, 2018
Germany

www.resetera.com

TROUBLESHOOTER: The anime XCOM I never knew I wanted

https://store.steampowered.com/app/470310/TROUBLESHOOTER_Abandoned_Children/ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KoW5_C9LIco Troubleshooter. It's anime-XCOM w/ FFT character building & VN storytelling. And it's legit dreamy. Another indie out of Korea that just went 1.0 a few weeks back, it's...

Oh damn this looks really good how have i not heard of this before!? Thanks for sharing, i've put it on my wishlist.

HouseDragon

Dec 4, 2017
Half Life: Alyx barely edges out The Last Of Us Part II for me.

Doom Eternal and Ghost of Tsushima are really good, but HL:A and TLOU2 are almost the best this gen has put out. 2020 has been a hell of year for gaming!

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
Half Life Alyx for me. It's just as good as other Half Life games but the shift to VR made the game feel fresh and new in a way I haven't felt in a long time, probably since early 3D games.

Phendrana

Oct 26, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I haven't loved anything that released this year, and I've played all of the major contenders other than Half Life Alyx. I guess it's Animal Crossing by default, but it has really lacked staying power for me compared to New Leaf. I'm really keen for World of Horror but will wait for it to come out of Early Access.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
So far it's between Ghost of Tsushima, The Last of Us 2 and Final Fantasy 7 Remake.

Hard to pick because they were all so damn good.

Half Life: Alyx would probably be on the list too but not played it yet sadly.

sweetie

Alt account
Banned
May 19, 2020
Tbh haven't done a lot of gaming this year, the only 2020 games I've played so far are FF7 and Animal Crossing. Based off those two, I'd vote for FF7.

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
Oh damn this looks really good how have i not heard of this before!? Thanks for sharing, i've put it on my wishlist.

NP!

Game really deserves more attention.

Bug Fables and it's not even close. What a charming game. Fantastic level design, combat system, story, writing, and main cast. It's an indie game that may as well been produced by a legit full studio.

Dang, this looks awesome.

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
Wow, I see it is not easy to criticise a fan favorite =P

I have enjoyed The Last Of Us Part II and I think it is a really good videogame, but let´s be serious for a moment, no way in hell it is "94 Metacritic score" good. This especially when many players have pointed out the same: the game lasts for way more than it should and the story has severe pacing problems and incoherences.

I hope we will be able to see things more in perspective at the end of the year.

You're right. 94 is too little