• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
How does it work, can RDR2 get another try to get the GOTY award now that it's releasing on PC and Stadia?

This year I wouldn't think twice to put it as my #1!
What about you?

Same thing for Ori because of the Switch version?

And AC Odyssey because of the Stadia version?

ASleepingMonkey

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Iowa
Different places have different rules BUT I don't think most places (especially The Game Awards) allow ports. So, no it probably won't get any more awards.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
If a switch port of a 2018 or 2017 game can be voted for goty, i dont see why this game couldnt

Edit- wait u mean i general? Well rdr 2 is a high profile game so it should umo.

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
I don`t think so since it is just a port to a different platform.

Error 52

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Your personal top 10 list? Sure, do what you want.

For any major organisation or publication? Hell no.

XDevil666

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How does it work, can RDR2 get another try to get the GOTY award now that it's releasing on PC and Stadia?

This year I wouldn't think twice to put it as my #1!
What about you?

Same thing for Ori because of the Switch version?

And AC Odyssey because of the Stadia version?
Only if we can start voting for God of War since it's now on PSNow and available to play on PC

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe RDRII should have been delayed to January so it could have easily taken GOTY this year without competing with God of War and Spider-Man.

I know, that doesn't matter as much as sales.

Javier23

Oct 28, 2017
The obvious answer is that it depends on the outlet. Or even on yourself. Extremely rarely is the best game I play on any given year really released that same year.

Jun 14, 2018
No. It lost to God of War (which is also available to play via PC this year). Suck it up

Resident Evil 2 should win this year.

Edit: Unless you're talking about some kind of PC-specific awards rather than The Game Awards.

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
No, it's not eligible for overall Game of the Year from the gaming press.

No. It lost to God of War (which is also available to play via PC this year). Suck it up

Edit: Unless you're talking about some kind of PC-specific awards rather than The Game Awards.
It's still too early to be talking what wins this year when there are big games left to come out.

silva1991

Oct 26, 2017
Big DLCs like Witcher's hardly get get GOTY awards let alone ports.

" get another try to get the GOTY award now "

let it go man lol.

OP
OP

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
The obvious answer is that it depends on the outlet. Or even on yourself. Extremely rarely is the best game I play on any given year really released that same year.
That's true, I would have AC Odyssey verrry high up on my list if I had played through it in 2018.
But I know No Man's Sky was eligible last year here at least, not sure if it was because of the Xbox One version or the Beyond update though.

TacoSupreme

Jul 26, 2019
I'm sure people will consider it eligible for PC GOTY lists. Which makes sense.

Anything else is illogical.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
GTA 5 and TLOU remasters were the top rated games of 2014 but they didn't get any GOTY's.

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017

Resident Evil 2 shouldn`t be even considered. It had its chance in 1998.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
I say yes.

GOTY 2018
GOTY 2019 for the PC version
GOTY 2020 for the PS5 version
GOTY 2021 for the Sadie Adler Expansion DLC
GOTY 2022 for the Undead Nightmare 2 DLC

OP
OP

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Of course not. It came out last year. Makes no sense to give them several GOTY's just because they chose to limit where they released it before.
It's heavily updated though, possibly plays a ton better as well, it's not like they've just delayed it and is releasing the same version.

Wouldn't TLOUp2 be eligible for GOTY in 2020 if they released a PS5 update?

It feels weird if it's only the original release that matters.

Here I assume it's eligible at least, right?

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
For the Era GOTY thread? Last year the ruling on ports was

Ballot Scoring
Note that while all points will be tallied, only NEW playable content will be eligible for GOTY and Genre Award consideration.
All content is eligible for Platform Award consideration. Rereleases, ports, and other content will be awarded in their own category.

So it could win Best Re-Release/Port and Best PC Game, but not much else.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No. RDR2 is a 2018 game. And it was the runner-up, behind the GOTY God of War.

Last edited:

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
Shouldn't be. If that was the case, then maybe FFVIII remaster should be as well. But I don't think that should either.

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
It'll be up for the highly prestigious PC Gaming ERA GOTY award. I know that Rockstar are keen for that one.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It can win the goofy "remake" award here like Hollow Knight got last year.

Yes, I know it eventually got renamed.

OP
OP

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017

Ah okay, so NMS was eligible because of Beyond, not the Xbox One version.

Cool that I can put in the votes at least, but I'm still not amused. The PC version of RDR2 will be the best game released this year, zero doubt.

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Ah okay, so NMS was eligible because of Beyond, not the Xbox One version.

Cool that I can put in the votes at least, but I'm still not amused. The PC version of RDR2 will be the best game released this year, zero doubt.

Well let's inject a healthy and reasonable amount of doubt at least. It might not be for everyone, and there remains the chance of it being a shit port.

OP
OP

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
It doesn't stand a chance against games like Anthem and GR: Breakpoint
:P

Seriously, it's a weird year. So far Gears 5 is my top game, I guess Death Stranding could surprise as well, or maybe Pokémon. But in reality RDR2 will be the best game, but it's not eligible so, meh.

PS9

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Is OG Doom eligible for GOTY now that it's available on PS4/Xbox One?

score01

Oct 27, 2017
The game released in 2018. It re-releasing again this year for another platform doesn't alter the fact that it's already out, so in my opinion - no it doesn't qualify.

Op, I think you just need to let it go. It's best chance at consensus goty was last year and it did amazingly well. Is that not enough?

OP
OP

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Is OG Doom eligible for GOTY now that it's available on PS4/Xbox One?
Is it the original? If it's updated I don't see why not. If people think it's the best release of the year then it should totally be eligible for GOTY. Seems weird to vote for worse games just because the original version was released earlier. The best game of the year should obviously get the best game of the year award.

CJCW?

Oct 27, 2017
By this logic RE4's Switch port would be GOTY since it technically came out this year. C'mon man, we don't give it to old games. Red Dead had its shot last year and it came up short. Just gotta live with that.

OP
OP

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Op, I think you just need to let it go. It's best chance at consensus goty was last year and it did amazingly well. Is that not enough?
lol it's not like I'm sour it "only" won like 100 GOTY awards ;P I was just curious if it would be eligible now that it's releasing in an updated and likely better version on two new platforms, one which is launching this year.

Devil

Oct 25, 2017

How did Era differentiate between a rerelease and a remake? What was elligible as 'new content'? SotC on PS4 was a strictly visual remake but also not an HD port such as the PS3 version (or would an HD remaster already count as new content?). Crash Team Racing was a mix of a visual remake, true to original gameplay, but with new content and progression systems. Link's Awakening on Switch is different yet again.. FF7 next year will again be on a whole different level in terms of effort and changes for a remake, too, as was RE2.

I'm curious because the line between remaster, remake and port is harder to draw nowadays.