• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Obviously not the first to say this, but they could have had a franchise-starter here if they didn't go the GaaS route. If they did a solid 15-20 hr story campaign with optional co-op people would have loved it and would be clamoring for a sequel already. But, alas.
Really don't think that's the problem here. If it was single player focused (even with optional co-op) it probably would have sold just as well (and it did sell well), and people wouldn't be talking about it or playing it any more than they would be today since they'd be done with the campaign by now. Again, the problem is that regular players have exhausted the content that's there which would be exactly the same case if not more so if it wasn't GaaS focused.

Dodgerfan74

Dec 27, 2017
There's lots of good and bad in the game as well as a lot of potential, but yeah, it's Marvel's Anthem in the end. The game launched completely on fire, the post launch content is in perpetual delay mode, and much better, more exciting stuff will be out soon. Two weeks from now, it won't even be the best Marvel game of the holidays after Miles Morales blows it straight to hell.

A trainwreck from start to finish. Games need better management.

TubaZef

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Too much money was spent on this game, S-E won't let it just die. They're probably planning some sort of revival for when the next gen versions come out.

Wolf

Oct 25, 2017
I still think hype for the game would have been way higher had they used the looks of the movies instead of the comics.

Cloud-Strife

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 27, 2019
I'e been playing the campaing for a few hours and looks pretty good on PC. Load times are not a problem with an SSD of course.

Kawngi

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
The game has a ton of issues, but I did find the campaign itself enjoyable.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
I've said it once and I'll say it again, if you aren't given the IP for The Avengers in 2020 and you can't draw in a crowd, your project is an abject failure. The game just had to be decent and have a semblance of staying power and people would be playing it.

black070

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The concept of a GAAS Avengers game always sounded like an absolute waste of the property.

AnimeJesus

Oct 27, 2017
Pretty sure it sold decently, it just got mixed reviews and did not have a lot of variety once you finished the campaign. It's got a very good combat system and story\presentations. It was also one of the buggiest games ever launched.

Im planning to jump back in on PS5 once new content is released.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
Game is also clearly not dead on consoles, get matchmaking now very quick without issue all the time since the last couple patches.

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
Who could've guessed

tenor.gif

No way anyone could see this coming....

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
Please look forward to it's revival a year from now when they fixed everything and added a bunch of new characters and game mode.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
They are spending so much time fixing it and giving quality of life changes that it's clear they needed a long beta for this. The fixing mode they are in prevents them from releasing content that keeps people playing, also the loot is boring so there's no motivation to grind.

A real beta during development was needed, not the test servers/demo beta that was put out. There was no amount of time available to make changes that were needed given the feedback from that beta.

That said, on PC I hope they let us disable or easily skip the travel to mission load masks chat the characters do, and the mission intro video. That long loading discourage me from even grinding for loot.

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Should've been a single player game, making it a destiny copy was a failure from the start

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
The game will be very good soon. I trust the devs since they seem super passion about marvel and I'm willing to stay for all my heroes and the massive story. We aren't going to be fighting robots the entire time or clones.

Deleted member 15395

Unshakable Resolve
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I played a bit of this at a friend's house and I agree the core combat is fun and has potential, its just....everything else around it is rotten and bugged. For what I've read, there's a Wakanda update that's supposed to be a bit of an overhaul of the entire thing.

I still think they should've made a massive budget single player game a-la Spiderman. Avengers as a brand certainly deserved better than what we got.

ShinJohnpv

Oct 25, 2017
It's been said but it died out cause there's nothing to fucking do. After a few weekends you've seen every single mission, which are mostly just repeating the same shit. All of the interesting stuff is Single Player only. There needs to be some heavy inflow of content, like ASAP or this one is super dead Jim.

Sax

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'll play through the campaign one day when it's on a deep sale. Other than that not even a passing interest in the online part of it.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
I still think hype for the game would have been way higher had they used the looks of the movies instead of the comics.
Yep the characters that weren't really the ones that people are fans of mixed with a game that only had a decent reception didn't really help it.

Oct 25, 2017
again tho. thats PC. That is the norm for PC. A new game comes out. It is popular for a week. Then everyone on PC goes back to playing some game from last decade.
Your last sentence contradicts the previous one and is proven wrong by the top ten (Among Us, Rocket League, Destiny 2, PUBG, Phasmophobia) in the top 100 listed, but okay.

You can also go to to the Xbox Marketplace and sort all games by most played currently:
www.xbox.com

Xbox Games Catalog: All Games | Xbox

Shop our extensive collection of video games in the Xbox game catalog.
Avengers is in the top 40.But we don't know how many people are playing it (unless that's what 1k means on the banner, which would be comparable to Steam, idk I don't use Live)

According to the estimates from gamstat: https://gamstat.com/games/xbox/ccu/
It peaks at 9k daily
Lagging behind "games from the last decade" like DayZ, PUBG, Ark, GTAV and Fallout 4 just like Steam.

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why is it 'dead' exactly? Is the game no longer getting updates or support? Personally, I'm waiting for it to drop its price a bit, but I'm looking forward to playing it on the PS5, even before the actual PS5 version comes out.

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
Why is it 'dead' exactly? Is the game no longer getting updates or support? Personally, I'm waiting for it to drop its price a bit, but I'm looking forward to playing it on the PS5, even before the actual PS5 version comes out.

complete opposite. Crystal Dynamics already has a ton of stuff coming we saw in the datamine. The game is just barren now so people think it's dead.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Just nothing to do if you played through everything. There's updates to fix and make things better for the player, and a few content stuff that give you new stuff to do, but it's not much to keep you glued once you played it once or twice. The gear/loot not being exciting enough to chase is something else that makes me want to wait. Having a new character will give me something to do though.

Then Genshin Impact released. A game that has similar combat (melee, special abilities, ultimate ability, aim to shoot), where you can quick swap between characters, looks very colorful, runs awesomely on PC, and has a ton of exploration. Thank goodness for this game to make the wait on content in Avengers easier.

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I see. And further perusal of the thread just show a bunch of concern trolling, too (plus people STILL salty about Spider-Man). Anyway, it seems the game enjoyed a pretty successful launch, and these kinds of games, when given compelling content, can still be appealing to old and new players, so I guess saying it's dead is just hyperbole.

Maedhros

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Game looks like ass. Seriously, watched 1 stream and didn't even understood the appeal at all.

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
Aren't they selling season passes per character? I don't see how anyone can be excited about that idea.

AndyVirus

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I played it for a couple of weeks but the post-story content was bland and repetitive. I might jump back into it at the end of 2021 for better load times + new characters but if there's still not enough worthwhile content I doubt I'd stick around then either.

SeeingeyeDug

Oct 28, 2017
Obviously not the first to say this, but they could have had a franchise-starter here if they didn't go the GaaS route. If they did a solid 15-20 hr story campaign with optional co-op people would have loved it and would be clamoring for a sequel already. But, alas.

You mean like Ghost of Tsushima? Let people chew on a fun single player campaign for a month or two, then release a free multiplayer game that feels more feature rich, fun, and balanced than many games designed around that as a GaaS.

ThatMeanScene

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
I expect a few content updates and if the game is still struggling to keep players and have players spending money on skins then I can see them tossing it to a small sustain team before eventually moving on.

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017
You don't release a multiplayer gaas looter, with a shity loot system ( which simply encourage/force you to equipe the highest lvl drop you get rather than care about it's stats ) and a broken matchmaking ( also not helped with the lack of crossplay ).
Add to that a lack of content/variety, and the delay of post release content and the end result is all but surprising.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
I remember watching some of the co-op mode and it just looked really boring and from what I heard the end game is pretty bad. Was a game I was always going to wait for a sale for, as a "looter shooter" Avengers game set off some red flags immediately, but I'm surprised it seeming just face-planted almost straight away.

Hopefully the Guardians of The Galaxy team and taking notes and looking at Insomniac.

CaptainKashup

Banned
May 10, 2018
The initial reveal was already extremely underwhelming.
Then they announced it would be a GAAS. That's how it happened.
That's how the Avengers game died.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Just gotta say it's hard to take criticism seriously when it's based on the beta lol.

Your criticism might be valid, but you should use footage from the actual game

Why would I buy the game after such a terrible experience? I know it isn't much different because I've seen my friends play it. That footage I linked wasn't even my gameplay, it was a friends.

Commercial betas like the one released for Marvel's Avengers are released primarily to advertise the game, to serve as a demo. They're labelled beta and attached to pre-order incentives so that folks feel priveledged to have the opportunity to play them. Take it from me, someone who has seen these conversations internally.

From what I've seen of the full game, the game is trivial in difficulty and very repetitive. Perhaps not so bad as the example I linked (which is not my video, but a friends) but pretty damn repetitive. I think the bulk of the problems stem from designing a game for a very diverse roster of characters with different capabilities. So rather than being all that threatening, the easy solution to that balancing problem is to just make the game rather simplistic on the AI side of things.

In any case, it's just not for me based on what I have played/seen.