• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TrueSloth

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, Animal Crossing New Horizons has been an amazing experience, and truely a game that has helped me stop stressing out over every single thing in the news. The online component has it's issues, but my interactions with every person I've visited and has visited me has been truely delightful. It really is the most wholesome online experience I've ever had. Everyone is generally super proud of their islands, and it's cool to see what people do which reflect their personalities and sense of design. Despite it being an online game, the mannerisms people have is very cordial with stuff like "thank you for hosting" and "it was a pleasure to have you here".

I've felt like someone inviting others into my home. It's such a unique feeling for an online game.
I generally haven't gone to random dodo codes I've seen online- mostly been making friends online and visiting their islands. Or visiting my actual friend's islands.

Also, I have to say my favorite addition above all is the fact that I can send my friends letters and gifts. Thats something I've always wanted to do since the original AC game. Be able to send friends in other towns letters. It just increases the sense of community this game has.

This game is exactly everything I was hoping for in an animal crossing game and more.

I hope all of you are enjoying it as much as I am.

EUP4cCPUYAE-9rJ

EUDCLhdUcAEA5xR

EUDXPkoUYAAcVxw

EUKIv3eU4AA2RDY

Share photos of you and your friends if you like :)

Oct 26, 2017
Appalachia
I love how every island I visit is different, and everyone seems to have had a pretty unique playthrough. Everyone is pleasant and will give you gifts if they're able. Every single person who's been to my island has mailed me something nice and thanked me for having them after their first visit. One friend will chop all my trees when she comes by, without me ever asking, just to help out! Most people are kind enough to ask to harvest stuff instead of just taking it.

I'm also always making sure I have something to give if I visit or have a visitor. Wanted to visit a friend's island but he was out so I visited some random player I friended from Splatoon; forgot to bring something and they were so far ahead of me that I felt like I couldn't gift anything they didn't already have so I put 5k bells down on their ramp-in-progress lol

Just a pleasant experience!

EDIT: I don't have a lot of Era friends on Switch so if anyone's interested in connecting my friend code is
Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.
EDIT AGAIN: pic!
90593907_10104832928594448_9219341364666302464_o.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
TrueSloth

TrueSloth

Oct 27, 2017
I need to make some friends who play the game. Other than that, having loads of fun with it.
The online portion is mostly social with some trading aspects. It's not super deep- but despite that, every time I visit another person's island or host someone, its an event. It feels good and usually you get more than just an experience out of it.

OP
OP
TrueSloth

TrueSloth

Oct 27, 2017
I love how every island I visit is different, and everyone seems to have had a pretty unique playthrough. Everyone is pleasant and will give you gifts if they're able. Every single person who's been to my island has mailed me something nice and thanking me for having them after their first visit. I'm also always making sure I have something to give if I visit or have a visitor. Wanted to visit a friend's island but he was out so I visited some random player I friended from Splatoon; forgot to bring something and they was so far ahead of me that I felt like I couldn't gift anything they didn't already have so I put 5k bells down on their ramp-in-progress.

Just a pleasant experience!

EDIT: I don't have a lot of Era friends on Switch so if anyone's interested in connecting my friend code is
[Hidden content]
I have a classmate who Time traveled and just gave me hundreds of thousands of bells- which was super generous. I felt the same where I wished I could give something in return, but she's been really nice. I'm now buying her furniture she wants that I have lol. It's the least I can do.

I'll also add you later :)

Numberfox

Aug 5, 2018
I've been letting folks on this forum come into my island to pick extra fruit I grow and buy daily items from my Nook's Cranny and Mabel; it's been a pretty pleasant experience. Folks are generally pretty courteous, and it's been fun to let people see my island. I asked for oranges once since it was the last fruit I needed, and got like 40 once the session was done.

Oct 26, 2017
Appalachia
I do find it a bit tough to effectively communicate with the short message length and either on-screen keyboard or using the app. It'd be cool to have "events" with friends or arrange some group activity; it just feels complicated to do that right now. But I also really appreciate that everyone's chill enough to let us all do our own things while we're out and about. Never have to worry about folks demanding I follow them around or entertain them the whole time. Never have to worry about having to do the same for people I visit. Just come by and have a good time however.

I have a classmate who Time traveled and just gave me hundreds of thousands of bells- which was super generous. I felt the same where I wished I could give something in return, but she's been really nice. I'm now buying her furniture she wants that I have lol. It's the least I can do.

I'll also add you later :)
I still work IRL so I'm moving a bit slow - don't expect much haha but I'm always open to visitors as long as I'm not on a decorating spree 😂

Also I have more wood, branches, clay, stones, and (all of the) fruit in storage than I know what to do with. Stop by and pick some damn peaches 🍑 & coconuts 🥥 and knock some trees 🌳🌲🌴!

EDIT: Just please don't pick the weeds on the cliffs. I wanna keep it wilderness as long as possible. 🙂

Last edited:

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I do find it a bit tough to effectively communicate with the short message length and either on-screen keyboard or using the app.
Yeah, I especially ran into that issue when chatting with an old friend in her town earlier today (or would it be yesterday, it's damn near half past midnight where I am).

Mocha

Dec 9, 2017
Great game, I'm scared to look at how many hours I put in this game after 10 days..

Crazyorloco

Dec 12, 2017
Absolutely agree. Fantastic game. And it came out at a time that it's soooo needed. I love visiting islands and helping people out with their game.

and I also love sending letters to people.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Great game, I'm scared to look at how many hours I put in this game after 10 days..

I checked my most played games on Switch and in the brief 8 days I put into the game, it's already surpassed BOTW and soon to be DQXI and Xenoblade 2 if that is of any consideration.

I remember putting more than 100 hours in BOTW so I'm not surprised that I've hit that milestone so far consider these factors

1) I don't want to leave my house unless for absolute essentials like buying food and basic necessities to maintain the current social distancing as of late.
2) I'm currently out of work and finding a new job because the current situation has given me a tremendous amount of free time. Time that is spent playing Animal Crossing.

SupremeWu

Banned
Dec 19, 2017
I want to get this for both my nieces -- is there a multiplayer component where they could play together?

Sep 14, 2019
I feel by the time I finally get this game and have things set up in the island, everyone will be done with the game.

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm so looking forward to playing this game! Everyone on my friend list is playing it, and it's making me all antsy haha.

Mik2121

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
I feel by the time I finally get this game and have things set up in the island, everyone will be done with the game.
What you'll get will be the more "hardcore" Animal Crossing fans which will help you out with anything you might need for your island, really.
The game is meant to last for a very long time, and many players stick for years if only because of the season-specific events, plus whatever Nintendo decides to give us via updates.

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Since days pass by in real time (unless there's time traveling involved), and they will keep the game updated with continuous content patches and seasonal events, there's always gonna be something to do and come back to the game for. So it won't be barren by any means, and even if you come in with a few months of delay, it'll not be that much of an issue.

I will get the game either the upcoming week or the week after, so if you want we can exchange friend codes and play together some time, since we'll be starting out around the same time!

Sep 14, 2019
Since days pass by in real time (unless there's time traveling involved), and they will keep the game updated with continuous content patches and seasonal events, there's always gonna be something to do and come back to the game for. So it won't be barren by any means, and even if you come in with a few months of delay, it'll not be that much of an issue.

I will get the game either the upcoming week or the week after, so if you want we can exchange friend codes and play together some time, since we'll be starting out around the same time!

Finally got paid! But may need to spend on a medical expense this week, so I'll probably hold off on buying the game right now, until my next paycheck.

I'll send ya my code later this week 😁

PhantomArtifice

Lead Administrator at Final Weapon
Verified
Apr 24, 2019
USA
Yeah I definitely agree. New Horizons came out at the perfect time, I've sank almost 75 hours into it as of today. It's been great to get away and just relax playing the game, had no idea I'd enjoy it this much.

Obsonet

Nov 26, 2019

I know people have said it already but you don't need to worry about this. People were still playing new leaf right up until new horizons came out, I imagine it'll be the same with this game

Lucentto

Oct 25, 2017
Been playing it a bit since release and it doesn't seem like my kind of game. It feels like something you can play forever and I typically don't gel with games like that, I need some kind of end goal.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Animal Crossing: New Horizons is legitimately one of the best video games Nintendo has ever made. It's a pure joy to play and it's an experience I'll cherish for many years.

Opa-Opa

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 16, 2018
Animal Crossing is something really special.

I've never played the GameCube game and picked Wild World thinking nothing of it.

10 minutes a day for 2 years... I know people get hooked for thousands of hours and years with one game but I never did that before, maybe even after.

Oct 26, 2017
Appalachia
Yeah I definitely agree. New Horizons came out at the perfect time, I've sank almost 75 hours into it as of today. It's been great to get away and just relax playing the game, had no idea I'd enjoy it this much.
Yeah I feel like I'm still just getting into the real meat of the game and I'm at about 75 hours too

I know people have said it already but you don't need to worry about this. People were still playing new leaf right up until new horizons came out, I imagine it'll be the same with this game
I will have to play this game for years if I want to ever finance half the shit I want to do to my island lmao

DannyClash

Oct 25, 2017
Had to send the Switch off for repairs, it arrived back today.

We here guys. Even went digital with this one.

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Guess I should play this game, HL: Alyx has taken all my free time lately, but I could use a break I suppose.

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Finally got paid! But may need to spend on a medical expense this week, so I'll probably hold off on buying the game right now, until my next paycheck.

I'll send ya my code later this week 😁

I ordered it yesterday, so I'll likely get it either by the end of this or start of next week. And sure thing! Take your time.

Psyborg

Aug 6, 2018
I feel you OP. It's been a fantastic experience and could not have come at a better time. My first time with AC and I completely "get it" now.

Side question if anyone cares to answer: What's the most direct way to get screenshots from the Switch to here without having to go through FB or Imgur?

Obsonet

Nov 26, 2019
A friend of mine who is just naturally amazing at most every video game already has six rooms in his house, his island has every rock and blade of grass deliberately placed, and he told me his latest project cost like 2.4 million

"lots of fishn lol"

I just can't fathom

Wow that's gonna take forever haha still I guess it gives a reason to play for longer

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
A friend of mine who is just naturally amazing at most every video game already has six rooms in his house, his island has every rock and blade of grass deliberately placed, and he told me his latest project cost like 2.4 million

"lots of fishn lol"

I just can't fathom

Fishing actually also loaded me up lol, I'm waiting for the nooks to pay me something like 50k tomorrow just from trying to fish sharks in the sea!

And agreed, OP :) The game is lovely!

milkyway

One Winged Slayer
May 17, 2018
I didn't think I'd be this hooked but here I am playing for hours each day, I know the online element begs for improvement but it's still a really nice time visiting people or having visitors and just following what everyone is up to. Not sure how this game could be so perfectly timed... UNLESS....

Oct 26, 2017
Appalachia
Could someone sell me on the appeal of the game?

I'm tempted to give it a try.
Your main gameplay loop is catching bugs & fish, picking fruit, chopping trees, digging up fossils, and the like to either

1) sell for money (bells) which allow you to purchase clothes, furniture, little nicknacks, and pay off loans for upgrades to your house/island

2) craft a lot of those items & more

3) donate to a really well-realized museum

You have neighbors who you can do stuff for and who will give you stuff, many are charming af

Online is a lot of going to deserted islands to harvest stuff or going to others' islands to see what all they've collected & set up, meeting their neighbors, trading, or just chillin

Scratches a similar itch to games like Cities Skylines for me, in the sense that I'll just loaf around overthinking how I want every square inch of my island to look. Also a lot of COLLECT EVERYTHING going on

If you don't need very direct goals it's just a nice relaxing time and allows for a lot of personalization. Only thing that I ever feel pressured about is that it runs in real time so some stuff is seasonal or dependent on time of day. Some things you literally have to wait a day to continue doing. It encourages you to just V I B E

Fishing actually also loaded me up lol, I'm waiting for the nooks to pay me something like 50k tomorrow just from trying to fish sharks in the sea!

And agreed, OP :) The game is lovely!
Oarfish, yo. Every visitor to my island catches one but I've yet to do such somehow

Last edited:

Hokey

Oct 29, 2017
Yea i've played it every day since launch but my wife setup her house right behind mine and now I got some gypsy like shit going on behind me lol. I don't want to move though, it's cute seeing her area change after she's been playing. First game we've found that we both enjoy equally, obviously the only downside being she can't advance the story so I will need to remain vigilant and keep progressing (despite RE3 coming out in a couple of days).

Soul Lab

Nov 17, 2017
Yes, agreed. Even though for me it's a 99% solo experience so far. All of my friends are not interested.

Is it possible to visit islands without a Dodo codes?
Let's say i just wanna fly to an island, but I don't care where I land

FreddeGredde

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, agreed. Even though for me it's a 99% solo experience so far. All of my friends are not interested.

Is it possible to visit islands without a Dodo codes?
Let's say i just wanna fly to an island, but I don't care where I land
Only the small mystery islands. You can't visit strangers' islands, only people on your Switch friend list or using the Dodo code.

Japanmanx3

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta, GA
Bought it for my wife, who doesn't play games at all, and it's pretty much completely gripped her. She's 50+ hrs in and locked in everyday. It honestly feels like one of the best gifts I could've gotten her since her job got closed due to COVID. Cozy vibes all around the house.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
I feel you OP. It's been a fantastic experience and could not have come at a better time. My first time with AC and I completely "get it" now.

Side question if anyone cares to answer: What's the most direct way to get screenshots from the Switch to here without having to go through FB or Imgur?
My friend just takes a picture of the screen with his phone

scrapple

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Love it as well (although New Leaf on 3Ds was pretty much the same game, had mini-game islands which this game doesnt have yet)..

I do have B Button Thumb pain though again from getting through dull conversations....