• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
From what they said in the actual article, I don't think that'll be an issue. They say you can tackle any mission no matter what level, it just might change your approach to something more stealthy. That makes it seem like stealth is a complete takeout no matter what.
I hope so. The gameplay footage only touched a little on stealth but I hope the arkham system, or something like it, still exists

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't GAAS a game built where the core gameplay and game are around recurring charges? "Future story" could be Witcher 3 style expansions.

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Good shit, really hyped for this. My main fear is being locked out of stuff for being too low levelled but they seem to be aware of that which is good.

And of course everyone is jumping on the 'hurr durr y u lie about GaaS!!!1!!' conveniently picking and choosing what they want GaaS to mean when it comes to developers/publishers they don't like.

Basically this:

DLC from developer I like: Expansions.

DLC from developer I don't like: Dirty GaaS.

OP
OP
est1992

est1992

Oct 27, 2017
I hope so. The gameplay footage only touched a little on stealth but I hope the arkham system, or something like it, still exists
They had the normal stealth takedown and also touched on the gargoyle takedowns, so I'm sure most of it is still there.

The directors of this game made the co-op Splinter Cell games, so I got faith in that department lol

Nostremitus

Nov 15, 2017
Alabama
Should have been set in the Arkham universe... Major miss from a storytelling and worldbuilding point of view... Hell, it would even explain why Batman hadn't already shut Superman down in Suicide Squad Vs the Justice League...

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Well it sucks they're killing the free flow combat. I had a feeling they did that from the gameplay footage, but now we have confirmation. I just hope they don't go the Assassin's Creed direction and move the combat to the triggers, I really wasn't a fan of that.

At least there's Spider-Man to keep that style of combat alive.
I'd argue that the quick fire gadgets mechanic introduced in City was a fantastic addition.
Yup, just like any good combat system they did add complexity to it over time with the various enemy types, you just had to get good at using the different quick-fire gadgets and alternate dodges like knife and sword.

One of my favorite achievements in the Arkham games (and also one of the toughest) was doing EVERY combat move in a single combo. That means doing a ground takedown, punch, dodge, jump, yank, explosive gel, electric gun, ice/goo grenade, quick takedown, baterang, stun, etc.

When you got good at the combat and can keep the combo "flow" going even with a ton of different enemy types, it feels soooo good.

Oct 27, 2017
North Carolina
I always took the service aspect as the game requiring an online component or connection to play. For example there will be a day where you cannot play Destiny 1 because the servers will shut down, shutting down the service.
This is how I see it as well. Unfortunately, the phrase is so open to interpretation that so many just includes anything and everything related to dlc, expansions, mtx, etc.

Aug 13, 2019
Should have been set in the Arkham universe... Major miss from a storytelling and worldbuilding point of view... Hell, it would even explain why Batman hadn't already shut Superman down in Suicide Squad Vs the Justice League...
Suicide Squad takes place in the Arkham universe already. Gotham Knights doesn't, but they've got their reasons for that.

JakeNoseIt

Catch My Drift
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
free flow combat isn't as good in the games as it is in my memories, so I'm okay with it going. This game is gonna be fun. I'm kinda hyped I effectively have a Robin game with this.

Deleted member 16657

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"Freeflow seemingly gone in favor of something more akin to traditional third person action games"

ihavenothingleftexceptspiderman.jpg

OP
OP
est1992

est1992

Oct 27, 2017
this... seems contradictory
It just means that you won't have to go out and grind to be a high enough level to do a mission. You can do it no matter how low or high you are. The enemies within each mission will vary, so some mooks might be weak, but the brutes will obviously be higher.

Sketchsanchez

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No freeflow? Come the fuck on.

SO its gonna be souls light like everything else?

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I won't personally miss freeflow. It had its run, and feels a bit stale now. I'm currently playing through Shadow of War, which might be the last game to really use it, and it's just the most mindless combat.

Tecnniqe

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Antarctica
I always took the service aspect as the game requiring an online component or connection to play. For example there will be a day where you cannot play Destiny 1 because the servers will shut down, shutting down the service.
Yeah to me GaaS was
1) Always Online
2) Constantly Evolving at a rapid phase, through patches with addition of "expansions" down the line.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
I hope they took a long look at Sleeping Dogs for the combat system. It was giving me that impression but I'm not sure.

Geldboom

Oct 28, 2017
Sounds good to me.

Having two of the same hero is kinda weird? But shouldn't be a problem as long as my buddy picks a different hero.

Mentosrock

Nov 4, 2019
Glad freeflow combat is gone. But also, just because a game has story DLC doesn't mean it's a Gaas, people already pointed out the big difference between Destiny vs Witcher.

Hanbei

Nov 11, 2017
We need to seriously define GaaS (Games as a Service).

I always took it as games akin to MMOs with a persistent online aspect like a Destiny or the upcoming Avengers game.

When they say there may be more stories in the future I take that as DLC content which I don't consider a service just more content like previous Arkham games or The Witcher 3 dlc packs.
GaaS:
1) Online multiplayer (with or without co-op) game
2) Constant online support (patches, additional content, etc...)
3) LOTS of paid DLC (characters, skins, costumes and other cosmetic pieces of equipment, maps/stages, etc) but nothing that would give an unfair advantage over other players (no paid perk DLC, for example)
4) Multiple successive seasonal events, sometimes each one bringing its own theme (Christmas, game's Xth anniversary, etc)
5) Multiple season passes, each one bringing its share of new content that will be available over several weeks / months
6) For some games, e-sports support from the publisher => tournaments, often live streamed over platforms such as Twitch and/or Youtube

Am I doing this right? That is my definition of a game as a service.

Oneandonly16

Mar 11, 2019
Missions can be approached from different ways, stealth or straight action
I'm really excited for this as long as they keep the predator gameplay from Arkham.
Suits are customizable, but there will also be full skins
This is going to be amazing. I hope whenever they show gameplay next we see possibilities for Nightwing and Red Hood
Room for growth within the game's universe. Possibly hinting at more stories coming in the future.
Hopefully this includes playable characters as well as storylines for villains.

Nov 2, 2018
Free flow is gone because of the co op. There's no way to make a rhythm combat system with two people without it being a frustrating experience for everyone involved.

Im willing to give the game a go and am looking forward to playing it with my wife, but at the same time I hate how they're aping Arkham right down to the grapple indicator. It's deceptive and will be a shock to the system for some when the game plays nothing like it

Last edited:

GlitchyDegree

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Dec 4, 2017
I'm kinda glad they are getting rid of freeflow combat. That style of combat got boring to me after Arkham City

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Is this basically AssCreed Origins take on Batman Arkham? Seems like it.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
We need to seriously define GaaS (Games as a Service).

I always took it as games akin to MMOs with a persistent online aspect like a Destiny or the upcoming Avengers game.

When they say there may be more stories in the future I take that as DLC content which I don't consider a service just more content like previous Arkham games or The Witcher 3 dlc packs.

It isn't just one thing, but I would say a near or at launch content roadmap is a big part of it.

It's basically a game that will sell you on the future potential of that game. As such the design prioritizes long-term engagement and time investment within its design.

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
Sad to see freeflow go, but I guess it makes sense to try something new. Other than that, everything else looks pretty good.