• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kingasta

Avenger
Jan 4, 2018
Vertical slices are all anyone wants I guess. That was legit gameplay from a pre-alpha game. All games are relatively rough this far out.
But to tease the game a year ago for what felt like a reveal was close by and then be silent until this?
Feels like the game's development was rebooted somehow, and even the voice acting sounded bad except for Mr. Freeze.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I just watched that gameplay demo... nevermind, I take back my excitement. That performance is rough. Worse yet, it's another fucking open world RPG with scrap and loot.

Oct 25, 2017
Hey WB
latest

I"d pay $20!

also
The_Spoiler_%28The_New_52%29.jpg

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
This is looking pretty damn close to the comics so I doubt BabsxTim will be a thing, if for the age gap alone.
I couldn't really tell how old the characters were supposed to be, but that's good to hear.

I have no idea where Wayne Manor is in Gotham but I wouldn't doubt that lol

SO glad to have a living Gotham though

My bad, my eyes must have glossed over the "formal" part lol
No worries!

And Wayne Manor is usually to the north in the outskirts? Time to bring out my Gotham puzzle map that's stored under the bed until we can frame it...

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
The strange thing is, they could've easily had this game fit as a sequel to Knight. Jim's death and Barbara walking again seem to be the only things holding it back and both could be explained in an intro scene.

I get WB Montreal wanting a fresh start with their take on the series, but why not make it work?

...unless Rocksteady's Suicide Squad is doing that instead. Guess we'll have to see.

It's more than that. Rocksteady cleared house with Arkham Knight. For instance they gave Mr. Freeze a happy ending - which could still allow for him as a villain in this game (The New Batman Adventures did it) but would mean contradicting the spirit of that ending.

It would be a lot of that. Arkham Knight even explored the events directly after the end of the main story in the DLCs.

It would just be limitations for the sake of a continuity they'd probably undermine anyway.

VonGreckler

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Was a little bummed with the trailer opening telling us that Batman is gone, but I'm over it already, especially after seeing gameplay.
Looks great

ze_

Oct 28, 2017
I forgot how amazing that game looked, goddamn.
Seriously. I know it's technically a highly customized version of the engine, but it still wrinkles the brain to think it's running on Unreal Engine 3 and was an early-ish PS4 title.

The strength of the art direction, and how it's executed through the lighting and environment design, is one part of it, but the actual character models are nuts.

Neo Ankh

Oct 12, 2019
This looks great as long as it's more Arkham with co op and not Avengers. I wish it was coming this year but hopefully we won't have to wait too far into 2021.

Vector

Feb 28, 2018
Arkham Knight has the best character models and cinematography I've seen in any open world game to date tbh. It was ahead of its time.

I will say this one seems to have less polished character models but that might improve for the final build.

Oct 25, 2017
Ok now that we got the obvious out of the way he faked his death I guess the better question would be if they let you play as Batman towards the end of the game maybe final mission?

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
Please tell me this shit isn't in the Arkhamverse.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Yeah, but then everything else is sideways. Tim is much younger. Barbara is Batgirl. Gordon is dead.
Red Hood/Jason has a different design with no Joker brand over his face. Freeze is a villain and alive.

It seems they took artistic inspiration from AK's ending but are doing their own thing otherwise.
They didn't directly name Barbara in the trailer so I wasn't 100% on that, I also just chalked up Tim's look to the art style. As for Gordon, yeah, I suppose that this could have been set a few years after the ending but that wouldn't make much sense as they're just watching Bruce's video. Also, I wasn't really being a stickler for the details since Arkham Origins is legitimately set in the same continuity as the Rocksteady games and that has continuity errors and lore mistakes out the ass so I figured WB Montréal weren't really sticklers for detail. My mistake, though!

In any event, I like the direction that they seem to be heading with the narrative aside from personally preferring Cassandra over Babs as Batgirl. The gameplay itself on the other hand... yikes.

Mar 29, 2018
Seriously. I know it's technically a highly customized version of the engine, but it still wrinkles the brain to think it's running on Unreal Engine 3 and was an early-ish PS4 title.

The strength of the art direction, and how it's executed through the lighting and environment design, is one part of it, but the actual character models are nuts.
People rag on Arkham Knight but seriously in 5 years we'll be looking back like "holy shit we didn't know how good we had it"

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

I have my problems with Arkham Knight, but... yeah, it's STILL a stunning game.
batman-arkham-knight-villains-gif-animation-title.gif

AaronD

Dec 1, 2017
There's long stretches of this demo when the characters are just walking. Doesn't make me feel very excited for the final product.

RowdyReverb

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
People should really let the thought of getting full on third party AAA games before the end of 2021-spring 2022 go.

no third party publisher wants to lose money to a AAA project only for a small next gen install base.
Yeah. I remember Arkham Knight being one of the first games to drop 360/PS3 support, and that game came out 1.5 years into the console cycle. This probably targeted early 2021 before the pandemic ruined everything

GringoSuave89

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
LA, CA
Ok now that we got the obvious out of the way he faked his death I guess the better question would be if they let you play as Batman towards the end of the game maybe final mission?

Likely MIA, found but maybe brainwashed or driven partially mad by the Court, late game boss. Then at the end Bruce sees how the family has taken up the Batman name in their own unique ways and has the idea for Batman Inc. There is your sequel bait.

ze_

Oct 28, 2017
Arkham Knight has the best character models and cinematography I've seen in any open world game to date tbh. It was ahead of its time.
The camera work was outstanding and I will once again take this excuse to share this analysis of it:
An interactive story like this wouldn't work half as well without Rocksteady's brilliant cinematography and stagecraft. Arkham Knight's camera is practically a character unto itself, particularly in the moments when it briefly breaks free of your control in order to more dramatically portray what's happening on screen. It swoops and spirals, grandly framing the action on-screen. When Batman ejects from the Batmobile, he bursts into the air, the camera catapulting up behind him. When he dives toward the earth, the lens stretches, perfectly conveying drop-speeds he never actually achieves. This game moves beautifully.

Through careful staging and camera trickery, Arkham Knight enlists you, the player, to be both camera operator and leading man. Because you're usually given control over which way the camera is pointing, the directors have come up with all manner of creative tricks to redirect your eye and surprise you...

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Don't know how interesting the game is for me.
The cast plus the typical always the same kind of stale multiplayer genre both turns me immediately away.

Feels a bit like if Nintendo announced a new Mario Kart but now with the name Mushroom Kingdom Kart and with a Goomba, Iggy, Roy and Lemmy as main cast.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
Probably because there is no Batman. So stupid.

I am no big Batman fan but i liked Asylum and Origins, i have a feeling regardless of what they tried with this game people would be disappointed anyways.

instead of yet another game with Batman you get different chars to play, people going:"lame! where is Batman?"
instead of yet another freeflow combat system they tried something new, people going:"lame! where is my over 10 years old freeflow combat?"
instead of doing another entry in the Arkhamverse, they are doing a soft reboot and people going:"lame! Arkham is where its at!"

there was just no chance to get people excited about this game which shows that most gamers are fine with playing the same shit again and again instead of getting something different.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I don't think it has loot. Could be wrong though. I know it has materials it seems.
Whenever Babs took down enemies in the demo, it was depositing points into what looked like a chest piece with a green background. I took that as a loot item with the green being the rarity.

I'd love to be wrong, obviously, but it's a worrying sign.