• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

I say GOTG, you say...

• Breath of the Wild

Votes: 2,071 59.1%
  • Bloodborne

Votes: 1,435 40.9%

• Total voters
Jan 21, 2019
For me, that physics engine is unparalleled. The way wind, gravity, electricity, water, and fire all interact so seamlessly and logically is something I've not seen in a big budget game. There's a lot to be said about a sandbox that gets it right--I can't think of another game (apart from maybe Half-Life) where you can go, "I wonder if this will work...?" based purely off your knowledge of real-world physics, and 99% of the time it will work.

Ok, right, I can't argue with that. That is truly something that makes it unique.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
For me, that physics engine is unparalleled. The way wind, gravity, electricity, water, and fire all interact so seamlessly and logically is something I've not seen in a big budget game. There's a lot to be said about a sandbox that gets it right--I can't think of another game (apart from maybe Half-Life) where you can go, "I wonder if this will work...?" based purely off your knowledge of real-world physics, and 99% of the time it will work.
Sadly for me I'm not that big on just messing around in games, I tend to be more focused on moving forwards and mastering skills. Thankfully BotW still has good core gameplay, much better than most open world games. Unfortunately the path forward is often too basic with barebones obstacles to overcome.

Etrian Oddity

Oct 26, 2017
Ok, right, I can't argue with that. That is truly something that makes it unique.
Sadly for me I'm not that big on just messing around in games, I tend to be more focused on moving forwards and mastering skills. Thankfully BotW still has good core gameplay, much better than most open world games. Unfortunately the path forward is often too basic with barebones obstacles to overcome.
But at the same time, I can understand why it isn't the pièce de résistance for someone else, either. I usually get deterred and lose interest/focus in sandbox games, but Zelda held my interest (I'm an admitted big Nintendo fan, though).

But I definitely hold BotW as my standard/litmus test for game physics, now. Since playing it, I literally compare every game to it in regards to traversal and physics engines. Guess that's why I consider it my GotG.

bane833

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Fortenite. Compared to that these other games are laughably insignificant.
But oh right this actually wasn't a thread about game of the generation as in being generation defining it was just a thread about what game one prefers. Muh bad
I'm pretty sure GOTG is about quality and not about which game extracts the most money out of gullible elementary school kids via microtransactions.

Onikage

Feb 21, 2018
This pool is really bad.

Where is:

- Nier Automata
- MGS 5
- God of War
- Dark Souls 3
- The Witcher 3
- Sekiro
- Fortnite (is it not a game?)
- Apex
- RDR 2
- Overwatch
- Uncharted 4
- Nioh

etc...

Wafflinson

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
This pool is really bad.

Where is:

- Nier Automata
- MGS 5
- God of War
- Dark Souls 3
- The Witcher 3
- Sekiro
- Fortnite (is it not a game?)
- Apex
- RDR 2
- Overwatch
- Uncharted 4
- Nioh

etc...
This poll has been done before with more options.

The only result was that BOTW (rightly) won by even larger margins.

RetroMG

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Both are great games, but BotW is always going to be special to me. The original Legend of Zelda was my first video game, and as a kid, I dreamed of being transported to Hyrule and getting to just wander around and have great adventures, and BotW pretty much gave me that.
Honestly, a lot of people complain about how sparse the plot in BotW is, and that's a valid complaint, but it never bothered me too much because dammit, I was having MY OWN story.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty sure GOTG is about quality and not about which game extracts the most money out of gullible elementary school kids via microtransactions.
Game of the Generation should mean influence, since you're asking what was the generation defining game.
Otherwise it's just manbabies shouting their favorite titles at each other giving silly ass argument about why something wasn't generation defining because they didn't like it hiding behind something as ambiguous and subjective as "quality". Laughable.

CJCW?

Oct 27, 2017
Bloodborne easy, with the real runner-up being Mario Odyssey. Breath of the Wild was a major disappointment for me. Definitely outside the top 30 games of this gen, probably not even top 50.

baconcow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Looking at the responses, I think this poll also needs RDR2, Witcher 3, God of War, and Super Mario Odyssey. Bloodborne was excellent, but seems really out-of-place, solely against BotW, for game-of-the-generation.

free_bubble

Oct 27, 2017
Recently started a french language BotW file with the intention of just doing the plateau to brush up on my francais.

Cue 15 hours later and we're doing it all again, baby. This fucking game. I'll probably do a Japanese run next year...

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017