• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

I say GOTG, you say...

• Breath of the Wild

Votes: 2,071 59.1%
  • Bloodborne

Votes: 1,435 40.9%

• Total voters

Apa504

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You know that in the future, there will be a bunch of people referencing this poll and saying how the "Era groupthink" is against Bloodborne and is biased towards Nintendo, how Sony totally had their GotG stolen by the "hivemind that can't handle challenging games".

Thats the worst thing, this thread was only created with the intention of confronting the two fan bases. We are supposed to be better than this, but we are clearly not.

Kainé

Oct 26, 2017
I voted for Bloodborne but I loved both.

I just can't believe that we got botw and bloodborne this generation.

Divvy

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
I loved both, but Botw is a bit better.

I would have voted for NieR if it was up there though

Davilmar

Oct 27, 2017
Don't like the Dark Souls series, so BOTW out of the two. In my opinion, the Witcher 3 is probably going to be there for me.

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
This poll is going to be horribly biased. Most people voting probably never played one of the games. I've played both. Bloodborne is my favorite out of the two.

Everyone has an opinion. I just think most people would choose BotW over Bloodborne. You could say the same thing about people picking Bloodborne because they don't like Nintendo games and hate the Breath of the Wild scored perfect 10's universally.

Ganransu

Nov 21, 2017
Thats the worst thing, this thread was only created with the intention of confronting the two fan bases. We are supposed to be better than this, but we are clearly not.

To be fair to OP, this could be a harmless topic, like asking if someone prefers sushi or steak, but sadly, we both know that's not how Internet communities work.

Juraash

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like I his conversation, if ever had in earnest, should include The Witcher 3 and probably a couple other games if I thought on it. Of the two, Bloodborne.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Bloodbornes world is interesting, but after beating the game twice, getting the true ending and reading the wiki my only reaction to the narrative is just "that's sort of interesting in retrospect but it felt like background noise". Didn't help that the only NPCs you interact with just stand in place delivering lines of dialogue in a monotonous fashion and not even move their mouths when they talk.

God of War had a well produced and acted story with memorable and expressive characters that could make you both laugh or cry and I don't think Bloodborne was even remotely comparable in that regard.

voOsh

Apr 5, 2018
My actual vote goes to PUBG

I know this answer is not really in the spirit of the poll but in terms of influence you're absolutely correct. Think about how vastly different the gaming landscape would be right now if PUBG had never been made. No Fortnite, no Apex, no BLOPS, no Tetris 99, and no so many others.

Jan 7, 2018
I love BOTW, but i have to go with Bloodborne. Such a fun game, the boss fights, the combat system focusing on dodging and the world design are all flawless.

grmltr

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't looked over the whole thread, but I assume these points were brought up:
Bloodborne
- NPCs are weak
- Blood vials are the worst mechanic every conceived (grinding for health)
- Chalice dungeons are terrible

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
It's BOTW. Just a true masterpiece, taking a franchise that already contained one of the most critically and communally beloved games ever to even higher heights.

Hard to top that.

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
The Witcher 3

Out of those two, Bloodborne, but I wouldn't even consider either as the runner up to TW3.

Jeb

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Mar 14, 2018
Bloodborne.
Tightly designed levels beat out waste of space open worlds any day.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I've been thinking about this for hours and I have to go with Breath of the Wild. Both games are absolutely amazing, but the reinvention of the formula while exploring the ideas and philosophies that created the original Zelda are what tips my vote for BoTW. Also the sound design is phenomenal. I can completely understand people going with Bloodborne though, and I adore the game, but I always thought it didn't quite execute on some of its ideas and themes as well as it could, and did noticeably have a few lacking areas (Byrgenwerth). It didn't feel quite fully realized.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Bloodborne easily, i enjoyed BOTW, still feel like it's highly overrated due to it's name being Zelda, even Skyward Sword got a 10 from IGN.

Mexen

Oct 26, 2017
I just finished the main quests in BotW and boy what a game! I loved it. A bit frustrating at times though but I think the balance was fine because sometimes it was too easy.
Bloodborne, I'm at the Father G fight. I keep dying LOL. But my time with it so far has been phenomenal. The atmosphere of this game is something else.
I used both games as examples of how character progression can be done well so I think this thread is a good one.
Since I have not beaten Bloodborne yet, I cannot vote.

I will say this though, owning both was a good decision on my part. Hardcore gamers should play both. Casual gamers can enjoy BotW though. My girlfriend is not a gamer but she likes messing about in Hyrule cooking, gliding and finding shrines. She wouldn't touch Bloodborne if her life depended on it lol

Jun 4, 2018
I like both. Either would be deserving. Personally, my list would look something like...

1. Final Fantasy XV
  2. NieR: Automata
  3. Danganronpa V3
  4. Resident Evil 2
  5. Persona 5
Bloodborne is probably in the top-10 of the generation, for me. I didn't get enough time with Zelda to rank it fairly, but did make it about halfway through the main quest. I'll go back to it one day, but from what I remember, it was a quirkier Metal Gear Solid V with a much greater sense of exploration and freedom of movement.

Nakenorm

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Neither. It's either Uncharted 4, God of War or Witcher 3 for me.
Maybe Sekiro even, haven't gotten far but that game is something special.

Voted for Bloodborne, as I've been struggling to finish BotW.