• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

I say GOTG, you say...

• Breath of the Wild

Votes: 2,071 59.1%
  • Bloodborne

Votes: 1,435 40.9%

• Total voters

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
The rhetoric hasn't really changed for Breath of the Wild, no more than it has for any other critically acclaimed game, such as The Witcher 3 or God of War. They're all still seen by several millions of people as among the best in their genre and generation, as much as some folk may hope for otherwise. It didn't receive an absurd amount of praise. You're just upset that it's as beloved as it is, considering your post history

It's not embarassing when people call Bloodborne the "perfect game" or "the best game ever made"?

I still do believe that the rhetoric has diminished, and become much more reasonable, which would indicate an ending of the honeymoon period. Those games you have mentioned had similar honeymoon periods end as well. It is a natural occurrence with these crazy hype cycles.

Also, calling Bloodborne a perfect game would also be pretty silly. I love Bloodborne, and I could still list out some of its problems. So yeah, that is still a cringey thing to say.

I'm not upset BotW is as beloved as it is, but I do I still think it is a game with a lot of notable problems (some of them fairly substantial). Generally, I still think it is a very good game, and I have maintained that since day one. That being said, I can't stop myself from responding to people like you in these threads, as unproductive as these conversations always end up being. So, clearly there is an underlying issue on some level.

P.S. I get that we are all being a little saucy here. These threads aren't made for super nuanced comments; they are sorta built on sloppy hot-takes. I am not faultless in that regard, either (obviously).

Oct 26, 2017
I still do believe that the rhetoric has diminished, and become much more reasonable, which would denote an ending of the honeymoon period. Those games you have mentioned had similar honeymoon periods end as well. It is a natural occurrence with these crazy hype cycles.

Also, calling Bloodborne a perfect game would also be pretty silly. I love Bloodborne, and I could still list out some of its problems. So yeah, that is still a cringey thing to say.

I'm not upset BotW is as beloved as it is, but I do I still think it is a game with a lot of notable problems (some of them fairly substantial). Generally, I still think it is a very good game, and I have maintained that since day one. That being said, I can't stop myself from responding to people like you in these threads, as unproductive as these conversations always end up being. So, clearly there is an underlying issue on some level.

P.S. I get that we are all being a little saucy here. These threads aren't made for super nuanced comments; they are sorta built on sloppy hot-takes. I am not faultless in that regard, either (obviously).
But that's how it is for pretty much ANY big critically acclaimed game so what exactly is your point?

...and yet you never rail against people saying that for Bloodborne whereas you do for Zelda pretty often

Well, fam, no offense, but I find that hard to believe. You've often used the Belda logic unironically and have consistently argued against the game. The underlying issue is that you do have some issue with the game being as beloved as it is as, otherwise, you wouldn't bother going so out of your way to bash as you so often do

Oh of course they're not but some go a bit farther in theirs than others

asheliaX

Feb 3, 2018
The Seychelles
Neither one is my GOTG, but I loved both games. Both in my top 10 for sure. I'd give the slight edge to Breath of the Wild, but I do think about Bloodborne more often and have played through it twice.

asheliaX

Feb 3, 2018
The Seychelles
And OP should have seen this coming. You don't make a blanket statement like "which is the GOTG" and include just two games. You should have just asked people which the preferred out of the two.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
For real though, The Witcher 3 is better than both and the true GOTG.

But, of the two BB is better. Of course, it would never be voted better in such a poll because A) a lot of players are turned off by its difficult and have either never played BB or never beaten it and B) both are exclusives, and as mentioned, BB difficulty turns PS4 owners off whereas every Switch owner likely has BOTW.

BB has no hope of winning due to those conditions. The real poll would be of those that have played AND beaten both games, which is better to you? I've played and beaten both and would go with BB. BOTW's combat is just too nothing, it's actually more challennging at the start. And, the samey dungeons do nothing for me and hurt exploration. Good thing there is still cool stuff to see in the overworld.

EDIT:

But seriously, those saying God of War are joking right?

Deleted member 8001

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You mean one of the most boring characters in the game? "Oh look, she's the sorry girl who's shy and won't be loved back by the main character. What else does she do? Nothing, just feel sorry for herself".

Give me Gerudo warriors any other day of the week, much more interesting characters, Urbosa included. Hell I loved Revali as well so he deserves some recognition.

With that said, Bloodborne takes it.
Ah... Silly Rojo. Personality? That's not what I'm interested in. I just want something cute to look at and Mipha fits the bill.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
But that's how it is for pretty much ANY big critically acclaimed game so what exactly is your point?

...and yet you never rail against people saying that for Bloodborne whereas you do for Zelda pretty often

Well, fam, no offense, but I find that hard to believe. You've often used the Belda logic unironically and have consistently argued against the game. The underlying issue is that you do have some issue with the game being as beloved as it is as, otherwise, you wouldn't bother going so out of your way to bash as you so often do

I don't take any offense. I am critical of BotW. Though I still enjoyed it. The Belda thing is definitely true. Zelda games do get a bump. However, their name is golden because the games are consistently good. So it is a bit of an ouroboros situation. Final Fantasy used to get similar treatment until it lost that same consistency. Having heaps of nostalgic goodwill, and an unbroken line of great games, is never going to be without impact when you are talking about aggregated review scores. Also, when I said there was an underlying issue, that is what I was implying. Though it definitely doesn't go as far as me being upset.

Also, on the side, I don't think I bash the game. I criticize it, but I don't bash it. Bashing is far less sensible. If I called BotW horseshit I would be bashing it. I don't do that. I think the worst I have done is say that it is an 8/10. Which isn't exactly scathing, is it?

Last edited:

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
BOTW was *a* dream come true, but still missing some dream/fantasy ideas the series hasn't reached yet, or have already been done in older games in this fantastic series.

Still easily one of the best of all time, a great entry in the series, and one of the very best of this gen.
Personally my others would be Alien Isolation and RE2.

BB is great too and a whole other beast its own.

Deleted member 32018

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
But, of the two BB is better. Of course, it would never be voted better in such a poll because A) a lot of players are turned off by its difficult and have either never played BB or never beaten it and B) both are exclusives, and as mentioned, BB difficulty turns PS4 owners off whereas every Switch owner likely has BOTW.

This would be fine if it was a Twitter poll. You need to remind yourself that you're on an enthusiast forum where a lot of users love the difficulty of soulsborne games.

Also not every Switch owner has Zelda.

Edit: Also GoW is a great game too...

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Between those two it's easily Bloodborne. BotW has lower lows and lower highs.

Celeste is my GotG though.

asheliaX

Feb 3, 2018
The Seychelles

BB has no hope of winning due to those conditions. The real poll would be of those that have played AND beaten both games, which is better to you? I've played and beaten both and would go with BB. BOTW's combat is just too nothing, it's actually more challennging at the start. And, the samey dungeons do nothing for me and hurt exploration. Good thing there is still cool stuff to see in the overworld.

EDIT:

But seriously, those saying God of War are joking right?
Why would they be joking? Just because you don't think it's GOTG material doesn't mean others aren't allowed to hold that opinion. What the hell is wrong with this site? Every single thread is just people bitching about other people's taste in games.

Oct 26, 2017
I don't take any offense. I am critical of BotW. Though I still enjoyed it. The Belda thing is definitely true. Zelda games do get a bump. However, their name is golden because the games are consistently good. So it is a bit of an ouroboros situation. Also, when I said there was an underlying issue, that is what I was implying. Though it definitely doesn't go as far as me being upset.

Also, on the side, I don't think I bash the game. I criticize it, but I don't bash it. Bashing is far less sensible. If I called BotW horseshit I would be bashing it. I don't do that. I think the worst I have done is say that it is an 8/10. Which isn't exactly scathing, is it?
A bump that, so far, no one has been able to prove, at least no more than it does for any other game with a big name behind it. I'd say the fact that you even reach for that argument is proof enough that you're genuinely bothered by it. As much as I think Bloodborne is a dreadful game, I've never once tried to argue that it's only beloved because of, I don't know, being one of the first notable PS4 exclusives, being a Souls / From Software game or having Sony's name behind it. I've never done it for any game that I personally couldn't get into, like The Last of Us, because it's an argument you only turn to if you're really that butthurt over a game

I'd say going out of your way to downplay how successful it is would be bashing it. You don't call it horseshit but you don't need to go that far to bash it

Neither. But BB is objectively better than botw
lol

This is an enthusiast forum, where even niche titles get a strong and vocal following, and where tastes often differ from the mainstream audience. It's why games like Fortnite or Apex Legends aren't anywhere near as strongly considered for the best games in their year as stuff like Bloodborne or Persona 5, the former of which beat out The Witcher 3 on here. Bloodborne is losing because more folk prefer BotW, simple as that

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
In a lot of ways, this is a pretty fun result. Bloodborne did well getting as much of the vote as it did, considering its barrier of entry. On the other hand, Breath of the Wild cleanly wins over a fan-favorite game, so it gets to cement its status as top dog, popularity wise. Both fanbases get to feel satisfied.

A bump that, so far, no one has been able to prove, at least no more than it does for any other game with a big name behind it. I'd say the fact that you even reach for that argument is proof enough that you're genuinely bothered by it.

Ha, dude, I already said that there was an underlying element that was causing me to respond to people like you. Though once again, it definitely doesn't make me feel "upset". It is far less dramatic than that. The way you keep bleating on about it makes this feel like a modern reinterpretation of "u mad, bro". Maybe we should delve into your psychological urges to enter into every one of these threads and rabidly proselytize for BotW? Sorta comes across as a little insecure, doesn't it?

So, it seems like the only conclusion we can come to is that I am furious that people like BotW, and you are endlessly gutted that people say mean things about BotW. I go to sleep at night, furious that BotW ever received a score higher than a 5, you go to sleep at night in a puddle of tears because BotW once received a 7/10. What a pair we are!

Last edited:

Ximonz

Oct 30, 2017
Taiwan
BotW for me, but I didn't play bloodborne, I don't like soul-type games.

however, strongly disagree with GOW, that game is just a solid 8 game, don't really get the appeal,
a lot of oscar baiting sequences that lead to nothing.

Oct 26, 2017
BotW for me, but I didn't play bloodborne, I don't like soul-type games.

however, strongly disagree with GOW, that game is just a solid 8 game, don't really get the appeal,
a lot of oscar baiting sequences that lead to nothing.
God of War ain't my GotG, at least not yet as I haven't gotten too far into it yet, but it's definitely a beloved game that belongs in the conversation. It's not exactly, say, Dragon Age: Inquisition

Deleted member 1607

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh is time already for another BoTW pat on the back thread?

Game has gotten all the love it deserves and then some. Personally it was my favorite Wii U game.

I don't have a GOTG yet.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
This is an enthusiast forum, where even niche titles get a strong and vocal following, and where tastes often differ from the mainstream audience. It's why games like Fortnite or Apex Legends aren't anywhere near as strongly considered for the best games in their year as stuff like Bloodborne or Persona 5, the former of which beat out The Witcher 3 on here. Bloodborne is losing because more folk prefer BotW, simple as that

More folk have likely played BOTW, therefore it's more likely to win. Fortnite is the true winner though, anyone arguing against that is a fool. Right now, we're just arguing which enthusiast game is best to wank off to as the best for "real" gamers.

Then don't use hyperbole to try and give your argument more weight?

No.