• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Raguel

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Congrats on the new car! I wanted a WRX STI. But the wifey wouldn't let me. So we got an outback instead. =\

SABO.

Nov 6, 2017
What's the fuel consumption like on one of these ?

I'm a fan of the newer civics which do about 7L/100kms.

I'm a tight ass tho so I'm waiting for electric cars to be the norm before thinking of purchasing a car.

thetrin

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA
WRX was always my dream car when I was living in the US, and needed a car for everyday life. Gorgeous, fun to drive, and generally practical for everyday use.

Rizific

Oct 27, 2017
What's the fuel consumption like on one of these ?

I'm a fan of the newer civics which do about 7L/100kms.

I'm a tight ass tho so I'm waiting for electric cars to be the norm before thinking of purchasing a car.
you arent going to find that kind of efficiency in the wrx. i can average 34mpg on a freeway with cruise control set to 80mph. city driving is usually around 22. the combined mpg over the life of my car (according to my infotainment) is at 25mpg at 57k miles.

Quick

Oct 25, 2017
Congrats on the nice ride. I've always been fond of the WRX/STI, but I ultimately went for a Mazda 3 myself.

Chasex

Oct 29, 2017
Congrats, OP.

I had a 2011 WRX sedan back in the day. Was a fun car. Spent a lot of time on NASIOC reading all there was to know. Got an Accessport and tune, intake, full exhaust, and intercooler. It was loud and abrasive but cool to a 20 year old me. Learned a lot wrenching on it.

Ultimately I didn't think it was fun to drive though because of the understeer and needing to give it gas to rotate. Not sure if they fixed that.

SliChillax

Oct 30, 2017
Tirana, Albania
Imagine if your WRX was blue with gold wheels and had a spoiler, you'd go nuts haha. Enjoy the car, soon you'll be looking at mods trust me. The horsepower craving is like a drug.

Piggus

Oct 27, 2017
Oregon
So nice. We have a Crosstrek and I love it, but would kill for an STI version. Please, Subaru!

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2017
Great car, awesome car even, but it's not a sports car. It's a sedan. It's not even a dedicated platform (Which isn't a deal breaker but doesn't help it's case).

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
There's more to an STI than just the engine. But the fact that one could consider it just speaks to how none of these are sports cars.

I guess it depends on how loose your definition of sports car is. I would personally call it a sport sedan, but I could see how it could be called a sports car.

And yeah, the STI is more than the engine, its also the suspension and some other stuff. But a crosstrek sti doesn't really make sense, since it literally is a lifted impreza, and the impreza already has an sti version, just not in the hatchback body. Swapping in the turbo engine would get you something fun though.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Grats OP.

it might be beyond trivial but the roads are empty enough for you to go fling it around (safely) - if you get the chance find a big plot of level graded gravel or dirt - parking lots - and learn not the car's limits- but yours- figure out what you're comfortable with first and don't be pressured into exceeding those limits.

I say gravel or dirt because it's kinder to your tires in most cases and the lessened traction will be fun to explore versus tarmac.

We have a ton of forest service roads nearby and some of them are accessible and safe- but figure out what's legal and practical in your vicinity and remember no matter how middle of nowhere you think you are there's a tractor or a deer or a family of cyclists around every bend.

AWD and electronic assists can make it a little harder to sense the edges of traction and safety but for the most part they're there to help you enjoy driving- and while it's fun to tweak a rwd vehicle into flinging it's butt out, the fact remains that your awd will let you drive faster and better and there's plenty of excitement there.

Oct 29, 2017
I guess it depends on how loose your definition of sports car is. I would personally call it a sport sedan, but I could see how it could be called a sports car.
Your definition has to be as loose as possible to consider a sedan that isn't a dedicated platform that's also used as a crossover a sports car.

Look, I'm not trying to be an elitist or anything here, but let's not call a sports sedan a sports car, let's call it what it is, a sports sedan. It's an Impreza with some upgrades to it, but by no means is it a proper sports car.

I don't think anyone is gonna call a Nissan Sentra or Juke with a Nismo badge a sports car are we?

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Beautiful car! One of my dream cars would be an 05 WRX STI. I always loved the WRX, pleasure to drive in my limited experience too.

blobeye > bugeye

I had an '03 WRX for not long enough before I had kids and sold it. Such a nice exhaust note

87-AB5967-7-F29-4-BCA-A5-B3-BD3446543352.jpg

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
Enjoy.

Recently the media got a hold of the new Corvette and have been test driving it. DeMuro did his review yesterday. They hype for this car is insane. There probably hasn't been a sports car getting this much attention in the history of sports cars.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Your definition has to be as loose as possible to consider a sedan that isn't a dedicated platform that's also used as a crossover a sports car.

Look, I'm not trying to be an elitist or anything here, but let's not call a sports sedan a sports car, let's call it what it is, a sports sedan. It's an Impreza with some upgrades to it, but by no means is it a proper sports car.

I don't think anyone is gonna call a Nissan Sentra or Juke with a Nismo badge a sports car are we?

I mean, I agree that I would also call it a sports sedan and not a sports car. But the STI is one of those cases where I wouldn't care if someone called it a sports car. Its like the older Nissan Skyline GT-R's, the R32, R33, and R34. The top end GT-R model I wouldn't care if someone called it a sports car, even though the lower end models can be had as a 4 door sedan with boring engine/transmission options. The BMW M3 vs standard 3-series is similar as well.

Deleted member 4346

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Is a BMW M5 a sports car? What about the Toytoa GT86 or the 370Z?

Oct 29, 2017
Is a BMW M5 a sports car? What about the Toytoa GT86 or the 370Z?
M5 is a boat sized luxury sports sedan with a massive engine and great suspension. It's a heavy as shit. Fantastic sports sedan, not a proper sports car.

GT86, although it shares parts with other cars, is most definitely a sports car. That chassis is amazing.

The 370z, although it could be considered a sports car, technically it is a proper Gran Touring car. I say that as a happy owner of a 350z HR. They're great, but technically not a dedicated platform, and a little porky for my taste, but they make excellent daily drivers that are awesome when not pushed to the absolute limit.

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
:subiewave:
DGqprdP.jpg

I enjoy mine, but a sports car it is not. I'm thinking up upgrading to the sti once they move to the new engine.
I'm in the same boat. My wife has already taken over payment on our '18 model so I'm heavily waiting to see what the next model is gonna look like. Namely if they bring the hatch back I'm 100% in for the STI. If it's somehow a super disappointing revision I'm going to say fuck it and get another used WRX to mod to pieces.

Merv

Oct 27, 2017
I'm scared to buy a Subaru. My brother had head problems with his legacy. The guy I work with has a 2013 WRX and so far replaced the steering rack(plus something else) and also had to replace the motor. He keeps up with maintenance and actually has 2003 WRX in his garage waiting for a motor.

I think for the price the WRX is a great car, but they seem unreliable. Maybe it's just the 2.5?

Rizific

Oct 27, 2017
the WRX along with the STI are a dedicated platform. they no longer share a platform with the impreza as of the MY2015+ WRX and STI. just sayin, i still wouldnt call it a "sports car".
I think for the price the WRX is a great car, but they seem unreliable. Maybe it's just the 2.5?
plenty of memes out there about subaru reliability, specifically the wrx and sti. just google subaru ringland failure. in the 2015+ model wrxs, there is a known issue with the throw out bearing in the clutch causing premature wear. supposedly it was fixed in the '17 model, but mine (which is a 17) suffered from it after just 2000 miles. had entire clutch replaced at 2k miles. also had my oem battery (which is also known to be shit) completely die at 22k. currently at 57k and my throw out bearing is starting to act up AGAIN. ive got extended warranty to 110k so im not worried about it, but yeah reliability aint looking so hot for me.

boxter432

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Have a Subaru Legacy as a corporate lease
Summer car is Honda S200.
Best of both worlds!

Merv

Oct 27, 2017
the WRX along with the STI are a dedicated platform. they no longer share a platform with the impreza as of the MY2015+ WRX and STI. just sayin, i still wouldnt call it a "sports car".

plenty of memes out there about subaru reliability, specifically the wrx and sti. just google subaru ringland failure. in the 2015+ model wrxs, there is a known issue with the throw out bearing in the clutch causing premature wear. supposedly it was fixed in the '17 model, but mine (which is a 17) suffered from it after just 2000 miles. had entire clutch replaced at 2k miles. also had my oem battery (which is also known to be shit) completely die at 22k. currently at 57k and my throw out bearing is starting to act up AGAIN. ive got extended warranty to 110k so im not worried about it, but yeah reliability aint looking so hot for me.

I think the throw out bearing is the other thing my coworker replaced. You just reaffirmed my position. I won't be buying a Subaru, which sucks, because I want 4 doors and performance. AWD is a plus and a manual is becoming an ever distant qualification. I currently have a 2010 Ford Fusion Sport, which with a tune is adequately quick, but the 2017 Sports are really affordable now and are 12s cars with a tune and light mods.

siteseer

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
congrats on your sporty sedan*.

* sports car in the nomenclature a distinct type of car, please don't broaden the term to include a ford effin' raptor (wonderful vehicle that it is).

Rizific

Oct 27, 2017
I think the throw out bearing is the other thing my coworker replaced. You just reaffirmed my position. I won't be buying a Subaru, which sucks, because I want 4 doors and performance. AWD is a plus and a manual is becoming an ever distant qualification. I currently have a 2010 Ford Fusion Sport, which with a tune is adequately quick, but the 2017 Sports are really affordable now and are 12s cars with a tune and light mods.
You considered the Focus RS and Golf R? Those seem to check all your boxes plus a hatch for more practicality. Just a bit more $$ than the wrx though, closer to the price of the STI. Plus the RS is supposed to get a successor soon.

Truckondo

Oct 25, 2017
Garden Grove, CA
You considered the Focus RS and Golf R? Those seem to check all your boxes plus a hatch for more practicality. Just a bit more $$ than the wrx though, closer to the price of the STI. Plus the RS is supposed to get a successor soon.

Unless you are outside North America, the Focus is dead. Who knows if Ford will ever bring it back. I'm happy with my 2017 Focus ST. Handling is great for FWD and it's pretty easy to work on.

Merv

Oct 27, 2017

Honestly the RS and Golf are very much what I want, but they are a lot more expensive than a used Fusion. I may end up with a Golf someday, since Ford stopped making cars in the U.S.

Briareos

Oct 28, 2017
Maine
I sometimes miss my WRX, short-throw STI shifter upgrade, great Nokians in the snow, so light and the acceleration off the line was great. On the other hand, jesus the suspension. Was also bucking the trend being a boring dude in his 40s driving it instead of some dumb kid. Of course that's who I sold it to, bless him.

image.png

Hokey

Oct 29, 2017
Nice car and colour, very similar in look and drive train to my first sporty car which I bought new in November - 2019 Audi S4 with black optics pack:

TEHQIb2.jpg

I got this ceramic coating called Always Dry (Extreme), makes it super easy to clean and has this self healing ability so can get rid of very slight scratches by pouring boiling water on the area or just leaving it out in the sun.