• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

yogurt

Oct 25, 2017
I do a lot of typing and was thinking of finally taking the plunge and getting a mechanical keyboard for myself. I was thinking maybe Cherry MX brown since it's not super-loud, but still has that clicky feel to it.
I started with Blues for a few years but switched over to Browns this year, and they are great. The clicking noise from Blues is so freaking loud.

Browns are my favorite from all of the switch types I've typed on, but since I've never ordered a switch tester my exposure is sort of limited -- I've only ever tried out Reds, Blues, Blacks, Browns, and variants of those. I'm curious what some of the niche switches (Topre, Halo) feel like.

Edit: I have a Durgod K320 and highly recommend it if anyone is looking for a solid, straightforward TKL. Surprisingly good build quality for the price.

degauss

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Tried to get into them, some sort of nostalgia for ancient keyboards I might have used as a kid maybe.

I tried a few including Filco. But I prefer a basic scissor keyboard. Faster for typing, less effort, less finger movement.

Of the two I tried, both were cherry, it might be I just can't stand cherry switches. I didn't try Topre or Buckling Spring.

purg3

Oct 25, 2017
With the pandemic/quarantine this year, I've got deep into the mechanical keyboard world. Currently using a Leopold TKL as my daily, but have a Rama U80-A on order along with some GMK sets. So I'll probably be able to use it sometime in 2025...Got some C3 Tangerine switches sitting a drawer until this thing arrives. This was supposed to be my "end game" but there are already some other boards catching my eye. There is no going back once you start. It's a pretty cool hobby but the wallet drain and waiting game is something else lol.

As far as an off the shelf keyboard, can't recommend the Leopold enough.

24gVY7R.jpg

Steven

Oct 27, 2017
Getting a keychron k4 this month - I'm a total Mech. Keyboard newb - what's the difference between gateron and gateron hot swappable?

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
My old keyboard is going to shit and I've been eyeing the razer huntsman for a replacement.
I'd avoid Razer mechanical keyboards. You can find great keyboards for about the same price that are much, much better made.

Check out mechanicalkeyboards.com and look into Leopold, Ducky/Varmilo.

KentP

Oct 28, 2017
Yup, after 3 years I still have fun with my keyboard. I have a Logitech G910 keyboard which has it's own style of mechanical switches. Not everyone likes them because they're a bit different than other regular switches and you can't change them, but I like it a lot. It's fairly quiet compared to regular mechanical keyboards and it feels great to use.

Just upgraded from the G910 (which served me well) to the G915 TKL Clicky - it feels so nice to use, and the dual connection means I don't have to manage desk space for two full size keyboards (gaming pc and work laptop) anymore

Bakercat

Oct 27, 2017
'merica
I'd avoid Razer mechanical keyboards. You can find great keyboards for about the same price that are much, much better made.

Check out mechanicalkeyboards.com and look into Leopold, Ducky/Varmilo.
Well, atm the huntsman is $90 on amazon and I didn't see anything from those brands that were cheaper atm. Still looking through options though.

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Race 3 can be backlit, but it depends on the model. One doesn't have backlighting and for a bit more you can get RGB backlighting.

mechanicalkeyboards.com

Vortex Race 3 TKL Dye Sub PBT Mechanical Keyboard

Switch options: Cherry MX Black, MX Blue, MX Brown, MX Red, MX Clear, MX Silver, MX Silent Red

mechanicalkeyboards.com

Vortex Race 3 RGB LED TKL Dye Sub PBT Mechanical Keyboard

New keycap set features a removed side print from all keys Change layout with 3 pre-programmed key combinations - QWERTY, COLEMAK, and DVORAK 4 layers for programming

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

The default keycaps on the RACE 3 are DSA profile and are of excellent quality. They are however NOT shine through. So even if you get the RGB version of the board, the keycaps themselves won't have light up lettering - which can be a big deal for some. It also uses a non-standard layout so the ESC and DEL keys are 1.5U.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
I have no regrets spending too much money on a silenced 45g uniform Topre keyboard almost a decade ago at this point.
It eliminated the pain I was getting in my fingertips from typing all day, practically overnight.
I could never go back to non-mechanical, low-profile keyboards. It's like hammering your fingers into the desk all day long.

I only wish that I had picked up one or two of the Cooler Master NovaTouch keyboards when they were still available, as they were affordable uniformly-weighted Topre keyboards which were compatible with Cherry keycaps.
They were teasing bringing them back earlier this year, but I don't think anything ever came of it.
The keyboard I chose has a very compact layout, and there are occasionally times I do regret that due to the use of modifier keys for some standard functions; but not the choice of switch.
I only wish its space bar was properly silenced. Not sure what is up with that, but it seems to be common for them not to be, and to use different materials.

Though I do prefer other mechanical switches to membrane keyboards, I've yet to find anything I like half as much as these Topre switches.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
Just wait until you get into designer boards and custom group buys.... it's a neverending spiral.

Ain't Nobody

Oct 30, 2017
My first computer was an IBM with a Model M... there's just nothing like that feeling.

I got a HyperX keyboard with Cherry Reds in it, without really doing my research, and I hate it. I don't know if it's the keys or the switches, but they have the absolute worst, mushy, hollow feeling to them. And the switch activates when the key is only about halfway down which made it impossible to adjust to.

Which switch is most likely the Model M?

Shadow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Just upgraded from the G910 (which served me well) to the G915 TKL Clicky - it feels so nice to use, and the dual connection means I don't have to manage desk space for two full size keyboards (gaming pc and work laptop) anymore
That's cool, didn't even know that existed and it has dual connection, neat! Yeah, the G910 is huge even on it own, luckily I have a wide slide out desk tray so it fits perfectly fine.

Oct 27, 2017
Don't fall down this rabbit hole. Next thing you know, you're going to be soldering boards, lubing stabs and getting into group buys for key caps 12+ months out...

sbenji

Jul 25, 2019
Actually, the keyboard I was looking at was from the same company, but the Freestyle Pro model, with the tent accessory. From what I've heard and read, that's supposed to be quite good for people that do a lot of typing.

they are pretty good. Used the freestyle 2 for sometime before this one. The advantage to the advantage is the hand wells and matrix layout. It really reduces your total pain levels if you have problems with typing at your job.

Xils

Feb 4, 2020
Are there any silent mechanical keyboards out there? Or is that an oxymoron?
There are plenty of "silent" switches you can choose from.
And if you go custom you can lube the switches and have something like mute silicone pad between switch plate and pcb to make them even more quiet.

I think my mechanical keyboard is quieter than membrane keyboards in my office (those are mostly loud because of rattle sound of longer keys though) and I don't even use silent switches, just lubed linear switches and silicone pad.

Well, atm the huntsman is $90 on amazon and I didn't see anything from those brands that were cheaper atm. Still looking through options though.
GMMK should be pretty good for cheaper keyboard though it's still around Razer price range.
If you're willing to splurge a bit though, I'd recommend checking out GMMK Pro. That thing's spec is like a $300+ board at $170. Yeah, it's pretty expensive compare to other prebuilt, but they are competing in the custom scene where $300 is the norm so the value is pretty insane. You'll need to get switches and keycaps separately though so it'll add up a bit more.

Last edited:

Antagon

Nov 4, 2017
Actually, the keyboard I was looking at was from the same company, but the Freestyle Pro model, with the tent accessory. From what I've heard and read, that's supposed to be quite good for people that do a lot of typing.

The freestyle edge is probably a better choice for gaming and has the same tenting functionality + RGB lighting + anti ghosting. The price is pretty similar to the pro with no real drawbacks from what I can see.

FPS murderer

Oct 27, 2017
SLC, UT
Jesus, this thread made me realize I too felt down the rabbit hole...

I got a Kumara, fnatic, corsair k95, razer optical, razer mini, durgod hades, ducky one 2 SF, a Keychron k3 and GMMK pro both on pre order....

I need to stop!!! There should be a rehab group for mech keyboards addicts lol.

Zom

Oct 25, 2017
Every new thread about mechanical keyboards takes me one step closer to this rabbit hole, but they are so expensive 😩

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ok, you fuckers convinced me. I guess I'll grab a Keychron K2? I'm in Thailand, so I need to find one I can buy local. They have a Keychron Thai site.
I do contract drafting for work, so I guess brown switches make the most sense? I wake up at 4am for work, so I don't want to wake my wife with clacking keys from my office down the hall.
What do y'all think? I actually enjoy the flat, Surface Pro keyboard style. Will a mechanical be a huge mistake?

FullNelson

Jan 28, 2019
Every new thread about mechanical keyboards takes me one step closer to this rabbit hole, but they are so expensive 😩
I'm on the same boat as you my friend. It's really tempting until I check the prices.

Is there any sort of "entry level" good mechanical keyboard? Or is it like espresso machines where the entry level is already extremely expensive?

PandaShake

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
had a corsair cherry red for a long time with some keys destroyed by finger nails. This thread reminded me I want to get a tenkeyless one for new table. Looking at ducky one 2 tkl right now, but hoping ikbc mf87 comes back in stock soon. Just heard back from ikbc, apparently it's at end of life product and won't be restocked again.

admiraltaftbar

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Dec 9, 2017
I'm on the same boat as you my friend. It's really tempting until I check the prices.

Is there any sort of "entry level" good mechanical keyboard? Or is it like espresso machines where the entry level is already extremely expensive?
There's options in three brackets. Basically $10-$100 is a basic keyboard you'll get basically cherry switches (not branded ones but basically ones that feel the same). The Redragon K552 is probably the one I see mentioned most. With red switches (and a blue switch options) it's a really cheap offering at $30 to $40. I had one and the typing was pretty good but the led keys programming is weird to figure out (basically you have to read an online guide) and I spilt water slightly on it within a week of having it and it broke which admittedly would probably happen to any mechanical keyboard.

Then there's the nicer ones that are usually $100+. Here is where you find you're keyboards with plates of actual brushed aluminum and overall better feel and build quality (and name brand switches). Ducky is a well respected brand though they tend to be mid to higher $100's. The razer huntsman edition is a keyboard I considered for a long time as it's a very low profile tkl keyboard though it uses razers own interesting switches.

And then you get into enthusiast boards where you get things like hot swapping for switches and build your own keyboards but you're also looking at $200- whatever you can think it might cost.

If you just want a clicky keyboard there's nothing wrong with the cheap options and they're a good way to try out mechanical keyboards without too much commitment money wise

FullNelson

Jan 28, 2019
There's options in three brackets. Basically $10-$100 is a basic keyboard you'll get basically cherry switches (not branded ones but basically ones that feel the same). The Redragon K552 is probably the one I see mentioned most. With red switches (and a blue switch options) it's a really cheap offering at $30 to $40. I had one and the typing was pretty good but the led keys programming is weird to figure out (basically you have to read an online guide) and I spilt water slightly on it within a week of having it and it broke which admittedly would probably happen to any mechanical keyboard.

Then there's the nicer ones that are usually $100+. Here is where you find you're keyboards with plates of actual brushed aluminum and overall better feel and build quality (and name brand switches). Ducky is a well respected brand though they tend to be mid to higher $100's. The razer huntsman edition is a keyboard I considered for a long time as it's a very low profile tkl keyboard though it uses razers own interesting switches.

And then you get into enthusiast boards where you get things like hot swapping for switches and build your own keyboards but you're also looking at $200- whatever you can think it might cost.

If you just want a clicky keyboard there's nothing wrong with the cheap options and they're a good way to try out mechanical keyboards without too much commitment money wise

That's actually not that bad! 40-50 bucks seems an okay price to know how these things feel. Thank you very much for your answer!!

Jul 1, 2020
I have a WASD Keyboards CODE 10keyless with Cherry MX Clears that I use for work. It was very difficult to find a prebuilt keyboard that could use a Mac layout and had a normal not gamer-y legend on it.

Nov 2, 2017
Got my first too just this summer. Wanted a Logitech G915 originally but didn't want it for $250 though. Ended up getting a Keychron K1 104 key for less than $100 and its been amazing. Felt odd at first getting used to the keys but after a while I went back to my original membrane one and couldn't believe how much I no longer like it. I have Gateron Low Profile Red's on mine