• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Moff

Oct 26, 2017
as much as I am looking forward to this personally, there is no way this can come even close to the popularity of the original show, and not even because of the poor last seasons of that one. I just can't imagine this having the same quality of story and characters as the first few seasons of Game of Thrones. There is a reason that show got so popular and I'd be very surprised if any spin off had that, too.

Deleted member 16516

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
Will end up been the superior fantasy show over Wheel of Time and that Lord of the Rings bollocks Amazon are doing. šŸ§

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
as much as I am looking forward to this personally, there is no way this can come even close to the popularity of the original show, and not even because of the poor last seasons of that one. I just can't imagine this having the same quality of story and characters as the first few seasons of Game of Thrones. There is a reason that show got so popular and I'd be very surprised if any spin off had that, too.

There's many things working against this show replicating the original's success. But at this point, HBO needs a strong IP that can last, so the world of Ice & Fire is going to be it. It might not have the same success at all (I don't even expect it to do half as well), but they'll be able to keep productions going one way or another, they'll just scale budgets accordingly.

One problem is, when these "universes" start to grow, they actually make the shows feel too niche, as it feels daunting to get into if you're not a hardcore fan, so on the long term it ends up killing itself. I don't believe in doing multiple shows set in the same universe concurrently because of that, so hopefully they just line them up one after the other but I doubt it, they'll probably eventually try to have more than one at the same time and go cinematic-universe-stupid.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Is Laenor going to be written out? He's supposed to be Rhaenyra's first husband. He would be Corlys' son, but the actor playing Corlys doesn't look that old, although I guess it could work. It would mean the three kids of Rhaenyra would be mixed, but since there were rumors her children were fathered by Harwin Strong (who I guess would be a white guy?) then I guess they wouldn't be mixed? And the rumors would not be rumors then. Also it is implied Laenor was gay.

I guess they could cut out the "rumors his children were fathered by another man" entirely, in that case Jacaerys, Lucerys, and Joffrey would all be mixed kids. Jacaerys is pretty important as he is key to the Pact of Ice & Fire which has big ties to the whole A Song of Ice & Fire plot, so I doubt they would write him out.

Maybe they'll make it that the mixed lineage is the reason so much was done to prevent Rhaenyra's line from ruling. Would be more interesting, and I feel it works well for television story-telling, it makes things more obvious.

Neece

Oct 27, 2017
Probably Prince Aemond
LUvdccM.jpg

Last edited:

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Probably Prince Aemond
LUvdccM.jpg

I'm guessing the story starts with the funeral of Laenor, he picks up a fight with Jacaerys when he calls him (and maybe the other brothers) "Strongs", which establishes the whole division about Rhaenyra's children being said to be bastards.

Since Jacaerys (AKA Jace, convenient for the show) eventually marries a Stark (Sara Snow), I'm guessing he'll be portrayed as a "good guy", whereas Aemond will be his evil rival.

I want to see one of the Velaryon kids.

Last edited:

Cup O' Tea?

Nov 2, 2017
I'm not getting hyped for this. If it's all essentially based on lore and not directly adapted from books, I have no reason to believe it won't be an absolute garbage fire like the original show was from season 5 onward.

Neece

Oct 27, 2017
I'm guessing the story starts with the funeral of Laenor, he picks up a fight with Jacaerys when he calls him (and maybe the other brothers) "Strongs", which establishes the whole division about Rhaenyra's children being said to be bastards.

Since Jacaerys (AKA Jace, convenient for the show) eventually marries a Stark (Sara Snow), I'm guessing he'll be portrayed as a "good guy", whereas Aemond will be his evil rival.

I want to see one of the Velaryon kids.
More likely the funeral is at the end of the season.

Alicent isn't married to Viserys when the show starts.

Wally_Wall

Oct 26, 2017
I think it was episode 3 of the final season that was so great! Everything else was meh but I'll definitely be in for this on day one. Don't disappoint me HBO...

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
That has to be Corlys on the right? So they have the Velaryons black, with blond hair it seems?

FDQuddI.jpg

More black people with white hair wigs.
FBzQrxO.jpg

bye

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
I'm not getting hyped for this. If it's all essentially based on lore and not directly adapted from books, I have no reason to believe it won't be an absolute garbage fire like the original show was from season 5 onward.

I think people underestimate just how bad D&D were. We have had plenty of examples of shows that adapt source material, go beyond it, and come up with an even better product in the end.. one of them being on HBO (Watchmen).

And in this case, theres also still plenty of source material to adapt from with GRRMs work. They actually have more to work with than D&D did for Season 7-8.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

Can't believe they are casting other actors for their young selves. I assume it's for flashbacks or some such? Supposedly they are there for many episodes, so either the show goes back and forth, or there is a significant part set when they are younger.

Last edited:

louisacommie

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
So will actually See aenma arryn before she dies?

If young enough That could also include prince Baelon, King Jaehaerys queen Alysane
Jocelyn baratheon ( no canon source on when she dies)

SushiReese

Oct 30, 2017
Zero interest after GOT S8.
Is it true that D&D basically got blacklisted by industry due to the backlash of GOT S8?

SushiReese

Oct 30, 2017
Is it true that D&D basically got blacklisted by industry due to the backlash of GOT S8?
Didn't they sign some high-profile deal with Netflix?
The deals were signed on the same year GOT S8 was shown. Only 2 shows produced so far and received mixed reviews. With current political climate, I doubt Three Bodies series would get produced.
https://www.whats-on-netflix.com/co...f-and-d-b-weiss-dd-project-coming-to-netflix/

OrochiJR

Oct 29, 2017
I look forward to it. I expect it to be decent and it will be pretty successful - but what it will not be is "the next" Game of Thrones, as GoT was a lighting in a bottle show which success and pop-cultural impact cannot be artificially recreated.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
The deals were signed on the same year GOT S8 was shown. Only 2 shows produced so far and received mixed reviews. With current political climate, I doubt Three Bodies series would get produced.
https://www.whats-on-netflix.com/co...f-and-d-b-weiss-dd-project-coming-to-netflix/
Signing a deal with Netflix and then hardly making anything isn't being blacklisted, it is being a normal Netflix signee. Shonda Rhimes signed in 2017 and has produced one season of Bridgerton, Kenya Barris managed to make more TV for ABC than for Netflix during his contract, and the same for Ryan Murphy.

louisacommie

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
I mean unlike GoT, the story for this is actually complete.
Though there is no non fanfic pov 3rd oerson limited written out version of the dance story

Basically an outline in history book form

and because of the in universe history book format interpretations of characters can be wildly different

like daemon done fans interpretations him very evil, like the blacks greens reds fic
Some more of a loveable asshole. Like the blacks & greens fic

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Though there is no non fanfic pov 3rd oerson limited written out version of the dance story

Basically an outline in history book form

and because of the in universe history book format interpretations of characters can be wildly different

like daemon done fans interpretations him very evil, like the blacks greens reds fic
Some more of a loveable asshole. Like the blacks & greens fic

Sure, but the story is complete. Characterization can be fiddled with, bits and pieces fleshed out. But the broad story is complete. Who lives, who dies, who wins, who loses, all that is known. GoT did not have this benefit.

Also, Daemon is an asshole no matter which way you look at him.

Oct 28, 2017

D&D have nothing to do with this show

Which doesn't mean it will be good, the source material is great, but turning it from a historical outline into an actual story can't be easy. But at least it's a fresh team

Nola

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Signing a deal with Netflix and then hardly making anything isn't being blacklisted, it is being a normal Netflix signee. Shonda Rhimes signed in 2017 and has produced one season of Bridgerton, Kenya Barris managed to make more TV for ABC than for Netflix during his contract, and the same for Ryan Murphy.
I'm not sure it's fair to call them blacklisted, but I don't think any comp at is going to be handing them a major budget any time soon.

They lost Star Wars and presumably the Three Body Problem isn't happening, they'll have to probably earn their way back through the indy scene(or Netflix's version), move to producing, or just retire young with their bags of money.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure it's fair to call them blacklisted, but I don't think any comp at is going to be handing them a major budget any time soon.

They lost Star Wars and presumably the Three Body Problem isn't happening, they'll have to probably earn their way back through the indy scene(or Netflix's version), move to producing, or just retire young with their bags of money.
They dumped Star Wars to sign a $200 million Netflix deal though, not really because they lost it.

Special Puppy

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 12, 2020
HBO needs to release new official pics ASAP. We're having daily leaks now + filming will probably be done soon

Anyway I hope this is similar in tone and quality to the first 4 seasons of GOT. That'd be good enough for me. I'll just pretend the main show got cancelled after S6 so the ending isn't canon

RolandGunner

Oct 30, 2017

Nola

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
They dumped Star Wars to sign a $200 million Netflix deal though, not really because they lost it.
Yeah I don't really buy that based on the timeline.

Three Body Problem might still happen it looks like, which kind of surprises me, but I'm guessing it won't be the longest of leashes

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
I have to wonder if it's going to be showcased that all Velaryons are black or only Corlys Velaryon and his bloodline.

Also that means that Laenor, Laena and Laena's children with Daemon, Alyn and Addam should be black as well. And all on the same side.

That'll be interesting to see how much that affects portrayals

Last edited:

Deleted member 90924

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 29, 2021
I have to wonder if it's going to be showcased that all Velaryons are black or only Corlys Velaryon and his bloodline.

Also that means that Laenor, Laena and Laena's children with Daemon, Alyn and Addam should be black as well. And all on the same side.

That'll be interesting to see how much that affects portrayals

Rhaenyra's side already read as more sympathetic to me, so I don't doubt it'll be good and bad guys on both sides, but I think Rhaenyra's family will be more in the Stark role.

Also, the Blacks are the only side with black people, just mildly amusing.