• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Agentnibs

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I recently got a new puppy and had to take him to the vet the other day because he was vomiting (doc says he's fine).
I think going forward I should invest in pet insurance.
Does anyone have any good recommendations? I also need to get renters insurance don't know if there are any providers that do both.

Meet Detective :)

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
Honestly not a huge fan of pet insurance. The plans that cover all vet visits and stuff like that cost a large amount of money, and the calculations I have done always show they end up costing more in the end (which makes sense, since insurance exists to make money).

I would get a minimum coverage plan from the ASPCA or something that covers emergency visits only for like $15 a month ("Accident Only Coverage"). That covers you in case you have a huge $2000 bill only, but its nice to have.

Also, pet insurance is always you pay out of pocket and then get reimbursed. Its not a pay the doctor for you type of thing. So be aware you will always be on the hook for the cost at the vet.

And very cute doggy :)

Heynongman!

Oct 25, 2017
We have Trupanion on our youngest dog ever since he decided to cost us 5k on obstruction surgery. So we pay about 45 a month, they cover 90% of most things by reimbursing once you've paid up front. It's not perfect but last month it saved me about $1000 on emergency vet bills.

Weebos

Oct 25, 2017
As somebody who owns a cat with immune-mediated chronic anemia, get pet insurance if you can afford it.

rckvla

Oct 25, 2017
I don't have any pet insurance recommendation, I just dropped by here to tell you that Detective is soooo cuuuuuute! :D

OP
OP
Agentnibs

Agentnibs

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly not a huge fan of pet insurance. The plans that cover all vet visits and stuff like that cost a large amount of money, and the calculations I have done always show they end up costing more in the end (which makes sense, since insurance exists to make money).

I would get a minimum coverage plan from the ASPCA or something that covers emergency visits only for like $15 a month ("Accident Only Coverage"). That covers you in case you have a huge $2000 bill only, but its nice to have.

Also, pet insurance is always you pay out of pocket and then get reimbursed. Its not a pay the doctor for you type of thing. So be aware you will always be on the hook for the cost at the vet.

And very cute doggy :)

That is good to know, thanks. Yeah that's pretty much the only thing I'm worried about, huge emergency bills.
:/ I suppose I'll filter it down to that. The most recent visit cost about a 100, so I could probably handle it if the majority of the time the cost stays around there

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I recently got a new puppy and had to take him to the vet the other day because he was vomiting (doc says he's fine).
I think going forward I should invest in pet insurance.
Does anyone have any good recommendations? I also need to get renters insurance don't know if there are any providers that do both.

Meet Detective :)

Looks like the dog from the 'I don't know what I'm doing here' meme.

Radd Redd

Oct 27, 2017
I pay a out $24 a month for 2 dogs through my job. Insurance only kicks in after first $200. Has saved me a ton whenever one of the dogs need some expensive service done. Insurance pays it back every time as long as we send in the bill.

If you can afford to drop $5000 on a whim you might not need insurance. If you can't make damn sure you get insurance prior to a pre-existing condition goes on record or they won't pay out for that condition.

Mar 23, 2019
Grats on the pupper op, total cutie :3

Been looking into plans too and saw lots of recommendations for health paws. That ASCPA plan sounds good also if you can deal with the upfront cost.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I've had VPI/Nationwide pet insurance for years and have had no issues with it. They've recently greatly accelerated their claims turnaround and reimbursement process too. I'd agree on skipping a wellness plan and saving instead. You basically have to use every service to make it worth it. But basic insurance isn't a terrible idea given vet bills can get expensive quickly in emergency situations.

WEGGLES

Oct 30, 2017
You're likely better off putting aside $50 a month vs paying $50/month for insurance. Especially when you consider you still need to pay up front and get reimbursed later.

Look up insurance costs for your pup, and just squirrel that away instead.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
This thread makes me feel that vet prices in the USA are the same as doc visits when comparing to other countries. My dog ate our sofa and the surgery to open him up and remove the pieces costed about 400 euros.

That is a good dog, clearly.

Maximus

Oct 27, 2017
Interesting time to get a pup when you can't socialize it properly with COVID. Regardless, cute pup!

OP
OP
Agentnibs

Agentnibs

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017