• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Majora85

Nov 21, 2017
It depends on the game. For some reason God of War really didn't look good to me at 30fps on an OLED but The Last of Us 2 was fine. So was Red Dead Redemption 2.

Is it something to do with motion blur perhaps?

Mike Works

Oct 28, 2017
I will say OP for whatever reason God of War was the game I noticed the judder the most. Out of every 30fps videogame I've played since I got an LG OLED in 2017. So don't stress out too much.

Try The Last of Us Part 2. Goes to show what good motion blur can do.

Deleted member 5593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Noob question, but what is the difference between response time and input latency and how does OLED factor those 2 compared to other technologies?

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
This was one of my worries before buying an OLED (I can't seem to find that blurbusters article anymore that shows the difference in handling of motion between lcds and oleds) and thankfully, I wasn't bothered by it or notice the issue

Tathanen

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Can you manually force on 120hz BFI mode while playing PS5 games? Try that.

It won't make 30fps not terrible or anything. It'll just hide the 30fps problem or exacerbate it depending on your preferences.

Yeah 60fps do this, Black Frame Insertion exists to try and solve this problem on OLEDs, at the cost of some brightness. It's called OLED Motion Pro in the settings, see if the various intensities help.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
Noob question, but what is the difference between response time and input latency and how does OLED factor those 2 compared to other technologies?
input latency = how long the display takes to react to input.
response time= how long the pixels take to change.

even if you have low input lag if the display has high response time it will just blur movement since it cant keep up. oled have instant response times basically so nothing to blur low frame rates to make them appear smoother will make them stuttery

Jul 26, 2018
Agree OP. I also have a LG CX (48 inches) and playing docked Switch games like Skyrim literally destroyed my eyes. I was like "how is this playable?!?!?".

It's like half or most 30FPS games looks great imo (have to increase motion blur). Yet others just looks terrible (mostly Switch AAA games like Overwatch and Skyrim).

Funny because I remember many here (another thread) said that they've always disabled motion blur in 30-60FPS games. Yea.. I can't do that in my LG CX. I just can't. It's horrible.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
I have a 65" CX, 30fps plays fine. This is not a thing OP
Found the image I was thinking about

stutter-0-ms-vs-40-ms.gif

Left is oled, right is a traditional LCD. My guess is the OP notices the lack of blur/smear on the left when playing 30 fps games so such games look more juddery now.

SliChillax

Oct 30, 2017
Tirana, Albania
What you're doing is trying 30fps modes in games after playing with 60fps first. I was playing God of War at 30fps before the 60fps patch hit and it felt perfectly smooth at 30. Now when I switch from 60 to 30 it seems straight up broken. It's normal.

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ignorance is bliss when it comes to 30 FPS, once you start playing 60FPS games regularly it's really jarring going back. I don't think I played a 30 FPS game since getting the XSX

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
Motion on my C9 is worse than on my KS8000 and my older LG plasma, even on 60 fps games. It definitely takes some adjustment on your eyes.

Oct 25, 2017
Underground
I've had my OLED for over a year and 30fps games don't look any worse to me, and I've turned off that awful motion smoothing. Also don't find it hard or jarring at all to jump back and forth between 30 and 60fps.

aevanhoe

Slayer of the Eternal Voidslurper
Aug 28, 2018
Look, 60 fps is better than 30, it's great - but the things I've read about 30 here are crazy. From people getting "physically sick from playing 30 fps games" to "30fps causes headaches" or "30fps is unplayable and no game should have it". And now this - "30 fps games look broken on OLEDs".

I have an OLED TV, I also have an LCD one, I play a bunch of 30 and 60fps games and, sure, 60 is amazing - but a good 30fps game is fine. Especially if you don't switch from one to another quickly (after a while, your brain adapts).

Jazar

Oct 25, 2017
South Florida
I noticed that as well and while it's not as bad for every game, some definitely feel way choppier. Control at 30 fps looks like a slideshow.
Mikes Morales is very playable at 30 fps but if you change to it from the 60 fps mode it's still very noticeable.
It makes sense that the instant pixel response makes this more apparent than with LCD panels. Thankfully every game I've played on my PS5 so far have 60 fps modes. Hopefully it stays that way.
I started playing Miles in 30 fps and it was OK until I took on a speed challenge. It was near impossible getting the gold on 30 but as soon as I swapped to 60 i made it with plenty of seconds to spare.

Control Ps5 at 30 was vomit from the beginning however (even though I beat the ps4 version)

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Look, 60 fps is better than 30, it's great - but the things I've read about 30 here are crazy. From people getting "physically sick from playing 30 fps games" to "30fps causes headaches" or "30fps is unplayable and no game should have it". And now this - "30 fps games look broken on OLEDs".

I have an OLED TV, I also have an LCD one, I play a bunch of 30 and 60fps games and, sure, 60 is amazing - but a good 30fps game is fine. Especially if you don't switch from one to another quickly (after a while, your brain adapts).
"It doesn't affect me, so everyone else must be making it up."
Consider yourself lucky that low frame rate games don't make you motion sick. It's a serious problem for many of us.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
I'm playing Control at 30 FPS for the bonus graphics and it's fine for me. I just got done with GoW at 60. It takes a minute to adjust but after a few minutes I get used to it.
I just want a rock solid framerate, don't care if it's 30 or 60 very much. I prefer 60 but 30 certainly doesn't bother me and I personally think it's worth it for the cool graphical bells and whistles.

Cyberclops

Mar 15, 2019
I experienced this the first few times I booted up Animal Crossing on my B9. I got used to it pretty quickly though.

MrBenchmark

Dec 8, 2017
I feel the opposite I haven't been able to go back into Destiny 1 because of bad frame pacing in that game and playing Destiny 2 at 60+ but LFC on LG OLED help to make it playable I even compared trying it on a freesync monitor without LFC and a tv without any of those features it's definitely smoother on my OLED.

Dommo

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I have a 65" CX, 30fps plays fine. This is not a thing OP

It is a thing and I say that as someone who owns an OLED and am not really bothered by it.

Kind of annoying people coming into this thread telling OP he's wrong without even understanding what he's talking about. Just because you can't notice it doesn't mean it's not a thing. This is not a motion smoothing thing. This is not a frame pacing thing. It's an inherent quality in OLED technology. OLEDs don't have the smearing/ghosting that LEDs have, which is technically an improvement, but can cause lower framerate content to appear to 'judder' more than older technology because frames are more distinct. This is now well established and is certainly a problem many people have.

It's also the common complaint cinema enthusiasts have with OLEDs when it comes to 24hz films. OLEDs don't reproduce the motion of cinema projectors very well because of this same judder. Panning shots on OLEDs can be particularly tough. It's the reason why black frame insertion is now a feature on OLEDs to help smooth out judder and more accurately reproduce the smoother motion of cinema at the cost of brightness.

Marwedel

Banned
Nov 17, 2020
Bought a LG CX. Image quality is splendid, colors POP, HDR looks stunning, viewing angles are absolutely perfect. Very happy with it.

But, coming from a 47" LED TV, the bigger screen, better colors, contrast and probably the better response time make low performance judder look even worse.

To the point where 30fps games look literally broken. I tried God of War (stunning looking game at 60fps and HDR) at 30fps, and if you didn't know better, you would assume the game has some kind of technical issue.

Compared to playing games on the LED TV the judder is way more noticable and worse on the eyes. That goes for any game I've tried. Demon's Souls, Spiderman, Animal Crossing, Bravely Default 2 Demo, Mario Kart 4-Player-Splitcreen, anything at 30fps, even locked 30fps with even frame pacing, looks broken.

Let me add that, based on Borderlands 3, 120fps is a game changer on the other hand. Absolutely wonderful.

Just a small experience report from a first-time OLED TV user.

On a sidenote; the OLED Calibration Topic is very helpful, thank you for that!
Yep. Definitely NOT 30fps gaming TVs. Some say they don't notice it, which is bizarre as hell as it's ridiculously noticeable. Even in movies and TV if you don't enable motion features it will judder like crazy too. OLED instant pixels are simply too quick to handle such low native framerates.

For what it's worth if I absolutely have no choice but to play a game in 30fps, I will *gulp* enable Tru Motion de-judder to compensate. It does add input latency, but that's the compromise to stop me feeling violently ill when I pan the camera.

Deleted member 7948

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yup. The first cutscene in Marvel's Spider-Man looks straight up broken. And every game when your touch your right stick to move the camera.

kc44135

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Motion on my C9 is worse than on my KS8000 and my older LG plasma, even on 60 fps games. It definitely takes some adjustment on your eyes.
Asked earlier in the thread, but it seems most people here are coming from LCD. You say you had a Plasma tho. How does 30 FPS motion on the OLED compare to your Plasma? I ask because I hear often how bad 30 FPS looks on OLED (such as in this thread), but the problem sounds extremely similar to what I encountered on my Plasma, which is that without the blur of an LCD, content at 30 FPS appears to "stutter" on my Plasma (it basically looks like everything is a double image in motion, especially visible on slow panning shots). Is that what people are referring to with OLED, or is there another problem with how OLED's handle motion that makes 30 FPS worse than on Plasma?

Dezzy

Oct 25, 2017
USA
The one thing I don't like about OLED, is that it's almost too good.

(I actually love my CX and it'd be very hard to go back to lcd after)

Oct 30, 2017
ITT a lot of people saying "i can't notice problem so problem doesn't exist"

it is a thing with OLEDs. they are much better suited to fast movement because of the instantaneous response time. it's also why movies can sometimes look a little odd when panning action shots at 24fps etc.

doesn't personally bother me enough to ever want to use a non-OLED TV again but everyone in this thread saying "it's not a thing" is wrong.

MaverickHunterAsh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Los Angeles, CA.
I have the same TV at the same size, and maybe we just have wildly different thresholds for what we consider "broken," but I played through the entirety of Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity on it — a game that's well known for its performance problems — and am currently playing The Last of Us Part II and both games have looked fantastic despite neither being 60fps.

I mean yeah, of course 60fps games look even better, but I'm not sure how or why anything underneath that is looking broken to you on the LG CX. Different strokes, I guess. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I hope you're able to come around on it!

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
30 fps is shit. It is known. Tried playing Miles Morales at 30 fps on my new 75 inch. I lasted less than 5 minutes. let's hope the Performance 60 fps mode continues to be a standard going forward.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
I'm usually pretty sensitive to frame rate and have never noticed this at all. I'm actually pretty glad I've never heard of this because it likely would have turned me off from getting an OLED, lol.

I have a 65" C7, upgraded from a 55" LED. I guess maybe I don't notice because the size difference isn't as extreme. I also have my couch pretty far away too, depending on exactly where I'm sitting I'd guess I'm probably about 12 feet away.

padlock

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lot of misinformation in this thread. BFI has nothing to do with 'response time'. It exits to improve an OLED's motion resolution which, just like LCDs, is low due to it being sample and hold,as opposed to Crts and Plasmas. I believe the OPs issue is simply that he got used to 60 fps, and has nothing to do with LCD vs OLED.

Raiden

Nov 6, 2017
Have that same TV, love it.

Now buy a 30xx PC and hook it up and play all multiplats at 120 fps.

b3llydrum

Feb 21, 2018
Bought a LG CX. Image quality is splendid, colors POP, HDR looks stunning, viewing angles are absolutely perfect. Very happy with it.

But, coming from a 47" LED TV, the bigger screen, better colors, contrast and probably the better response time make low performance judder look even worse.

To the point where 30fps games look literally broken. I tried God of War (stunning looking game at 60fps and HDR) at 30fps, and if you didn't know better, you would assume the game has some kind of technical issue.

Compared to playing games on the LED TV the judder is way more noticable and worse on the eyes. That goes for any game I've tried. Demon's Souls, Spiderman, Animal Crossing, Bravely Default 2 Demo, Mario Kart 4-Player-Splitcreen, anything at 30fps, even locked 30fps with even frame pacing, looks broken.

Let me add that, based on Borderlands 3, 120fps is a game changer on the other hand. Absolutely wonderful.

I swear, someday technology will catch up to your tastes.

MZZ

Nov 2, 2017
60 fps will always look better. There are 30fps games that are borderline unplayable while there are also 30fps games which run really smoothly and is not really grating.

I find it more noticeable when going from 60 to 30 but then get used to it after a few minutes of not really thinking about it.

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
Asked earlier in the thread, but it seems most people here are coming from LCD. You say you had a Plasma tho. How does 30 FPS motion on the OLED compare to your Plasma? I ask because I hear often how bad 30 FPS looks on OLED (such as in this thread), but the problem sounds extremely similar to what I encountered on my Plasma, which is that without the blur of an LCD, content at 30 FPS appears to "stutter" on my Plasma (it basically looks like everything is a double image in motion, especially visible on slow panning shots). Is that what people are referring to with OLED, or is there another problem with how OLED's handle motion that makes 30 FPS worse than on Plasma?
Best way I can describe OLED, is that it's not smooth, there is a stutter or judder to the motion. I don't understand the reasons for it, but it's not something I ever noticed on my panasonic S60, or KS8000.

So while playing 30 fps isn't ideal on a OLED, your eyes do adjust to it.

gothmog

Oct 28, 2017
NY
Never noticed any issues with 30FPS games and I have had a 65" C7 for 3+ years. I'm literally playing Control Ultimate at 30FPS quality mode right this second and it looks/moves great. I wish I had another 4K TV to see if there's a difference.

Sapo84

Oct 31, 2017
Lot of misinformation in this thread. BFI has nothing to do with 'response time'. It exits to improve an OLED's motion resolution which, just like LCDs, is low due to it being sample and hold,as opposed to Crts and Plasmas. I believe the OPs issue is simply that he got used to 60 fps, and has nothing to do with LCD vs OLED.
You're also spreading misinformation, BFI also helps with stutter, just read rtings page on the subject.
www.rtings.com

Our TV Motion Tests: Stutter

Stutter is an artifact of motion that happens when a frame stays on the screen for too long. It can be bothersome while watching movies or low frame rate content because the TV has to hold each frame on longer.
It's pretty easy to see that all OLED have worse ratings than competing technologies, people should really stop saying "OP, you're imagining things, this is not a thing".
It's well proved that it is.

Webbo

Nov 27, 2017
United Kingdom
I hate playing games at 30fps now on my CX (which I got in October), but I can't work out whether it's because on PS5 i've gotten so used to playing everything at 60fps or it's the TV that makes the judder more noticable? I have all motion settings turned off and calibrated correctly.

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
I remember feeling the same when I went from my LCD to plasma, everyone felt to low framerate . It took me a while to adjust
How comparable is Plasma 30FPS with OLED 30FPS?
Because in my experience Plasma >>>>>>>>> LCD for 30FPS. With Plasma you get image doubling but man if it's waaay better then shitload of panel blur you get on LCD. I've tried FF7R on my LCD monitor after hours of Plasma and it gave me headache for the amount of panel blur.
Worst case scenario for Plasma is that you put a bit of in-game motion blur on and you are ok (see Insomniac motion blur, that is the best. Do not use the TLoU2 one instead, it's the worst motion blur ever and it will judder even MORE).

CO_Andy

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone tried running Deadly Premonition 2 on this TV? Cuz the game dips to below 10 fps.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Have yet to have any issues playing 30fps games on my C8, but that's not saying much since I've probably only played five or six total, and they've typically just been Sony exclusives. The rest of the time I just play via PC at 60fps. Games haven't had any issues. Movies on the other hand with slow panning shots...ugh. That's one of the few things that's a "downgrade" coming from a plasma, and even a typical desktop monitor.

You're also spreading misinformation, BFI also helps with stutter, just read rtings page on the subject.
www.rtings.com

Our TV Motion Tests: Stutter

Stutter is an artifact of motion that happens when a frame stays on the screen for too long. It can be bothersome while watching movies or low frame rate content because the TV has to hold each frame on longer.
It's pretty easy to see that all OLED have worse ratings than competing technologies, people should really stop saying "OP, you're imagining things, this is not a thing".
It's well proved that it is.

Let's pretend motion blur does not exist in video games to make an argument.

How comparable is Plasma 30FPS with OLED 30FPS?

Well in general, plasmas destroy OLED in terms of motion resolution. I don't play fighting games, or fast-paced shooters on the OLED, or 1080p stuff (still use the plasma), but for all of the games I do end up playing on the TV, I don't ever notice anything that stands out that makes me think I should just go play it on the other TV, or even my monitor.

Last edited:

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017

This might be sacrilegious because everyone always says to do it to enjoy their 24fps films but consider turning on motion smoothing.
Since your problem is oled's instant response time and low frame rate.

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
I know what you mean.
I have LG CX 55 and GoW at 30 is unplayable. Not exaggerating.
That's with full on game mode, no post processing on the TV, etc.

I keep older TVs for this exact reason (CRT and a 42'' full HD LCD).

shinbojan

Oct 27, 2017
It is awful.
Try playing DriveClub after FH4 or GTS - it does look like the game is broken or from a previous generation.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
I feel you, OP.

I game on an older LG B7A (2017 model) and 30fps games are rough. It's really noticeable with PS5 games now that they have an option to choose between graphics (typically locked 30fps) and performance (typically 60fps) modes. Switching between the two on the fly to test them out on games like Demon's Souls, Spider-Man: DE, Miles, etc. was like night and day and like you said made the 30fps modes basically unplayable in comparison.

I guess it depends on the game though because I was able to play and beat Last of Us 2 which is 30fps and that was mostly fine, maybe because it was a slower paced game.

I play in Game Mode with TruMotion (LG's term for their motion smoothing) turned off but I have read taking the OLED out of Game Mode and enabling TruMotion can help a bit but it increases input lag by a lot so definitely not a good solution.

Devil

Oct 25, 2017
Even if some say "they have no issue" it only means they don't notice it or don't care. But they still have the same effect on their OLED. It's a measurable fact.

That being said, I still wouldn't want to go back to Plasma or LED except for some new tech like Mini and Micro LED maybe.

craven68

Jun 20, 2018
For me it will dépend of thé game, some games at 30 FPS look smooth others game look broken .