• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I had this preordered on iOS then realized it was coming to Switch so I cancelled it. What I DIDN'T realize is the fact that it's 3x more expensive there... which is perfectly fine, but before I bite the bullet, any version differences?

SimpleCRIPPLE

Oct 28, 2017
Really feel like we're hitting that point where that are too many games being released weekly. I just added 4 games to my wish list to follow up on, and that's AFTER getting Yooka this week.

SpartyCrunch

Xbox
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
So is there any difference between the iOS version and other versions? Or is it just cheaper on iOS because that's what the market trends to be?

SpartyCrunch

Xbox
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Yeah I definitely know that's the case, but for some games like Layton it's because they removed some of the content and made it DLC instead.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
Normally I view short games as something I wouldn't but but I played this at PAX and what was being attempted then is really hard and it's only 1 or 2 people making this.

I'll still pick it up but 2 hours is still less than I would hope for.

Those reviewers reputations are now going to be judged very closely with this game.

I'm ecstatic this came out for the Switch. I was seriously thinking about getting it on my phone but I have gotten a bit sour with games becoming broken even when there aren't a major changes like the transition to 64 bit os.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
I don't understand what you're trying to say with that statement

Finding good and appropriate movie reviewers has been a necessity for me because tastes vary wildly among the top critics.

Videogame reviews are generally straightforward so I never felt I had to be discerning of who I followed. Overtime I drifted to gamespot as a litmus tests of sorts but that wasn't a fully conscious effort.

Since I have a strong aversion to short games this is a really good opportunity to see if a few reviewers are really are good at conveying the type of nuanced information I could possibly want out of a videogame review.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
You know how some games play better with touch input than mouse/keyboard? Should I get this on PC or iOS?

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
To say this game is short is an understatement. I completed the game and Steam says 89 minutes, but that includes helping carry the groceries in during the middle of the game. I enjoyed the game, but it doesn't seem like it has any replay value other than spending more time with the story it presents. There are still 4 hidden achievements, so I assume there may be more to find if I felt like running through the linear puzzles again.

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Went with the Switch version though I'm curious; how are the controls while docked?

OP
OP
More_Badass

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
To say this game is short is an understatement. I completed the game and Steam says 89 minutes, but that includes helping carry the groceries in during the middle of the game. I enjoyed the game, but it doesn't seem like it has any replay value other than spending more time with the story it presents. There are still 4 hidden achievements, so I assume there may be more to find if I felt like running through the linear puzzles again.
Replay value is more than just "other stuff to do"; although to be fair, replay value is extremely subjective. If I'm driven to replay a game like I'd rewatch a favorite movie or reread a book, then the game has great replay value.

Dimitris81

Oct 26, 2017
Why am I having a deja vu with this game? Was something very similar to this released some years ago? Or even a demo of this game? Maybe I am going insane, I don't know anymore

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If any Switch owners have downloaded this game, please post impressions! I'm about to hit the "Purchase" button, but am curious on performance. Seems like a game that would run perfectly fine on the platform...just want to be sure.

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
Replay value is more than just "other stuff to do"; although to be fair, replay value is extremely subjective. If I'm driven to replay a game like I'd rewatch a favorite movie or reread a book, then the game has great replay value.

Strictly as a puzzle game replay value would generally involve the ability to improvise or otherwise dynamically solve the puzzles. In this game if you remember the solution you need only repeat the steps you used to solve the puzzles the first time you played through them. As such I would consider the replay value low unless you are unsure how you solved certain puzzles or you want to dig into the logic of how the puzzles were constructed.

There's far more replay value if you enjoyed the story and want to try and piece together any deeper meaning the developers were trying to impart. The game does not go out of it's way to spell out the underlying narrative and there may be more to glean on subsequent playthroughs.

If people are buying it strictly as a puzzle game, then replay value may be minimal. If people are buying it as a piece of art it may have a lot more to offer.

I generally enjoy games as mechanic and puzzle driven experiences so that is the perspective my original post was coming from.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2017
I just finished this, I wasn't as hot on it as some of the reviews I've read. It's charming and short but something was lacking. I feel ÂŁ5 was too much for what it offered and the free demo they released a while back would have satisfied me enough.

Props to the developers for sticking with their vision, it's paying off for them. Not really for me, I did remember being more positive after playing Framed on release.

OP
OP
More_Badass

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Strictly as a puzzle game replay value would generally involve the ability to improvise or otherwise dynamically solve the puzzles. In this game if you remember the solution you need only repeat the steps you used to solve the puzzles the first time you played through them. As such I would consider the replay value low unless you are unsure how you solved certain puzzles or you want to dig into the logic of how the puzzles were constructed.

There's far more replay value if you enjoyed the story and want to try and piece together any deeper meaning the developers were trying to impart. The game does not go out of it's way to spell out the underlying narrative and there may be more to glean on subsequent playthroughs.

If people are buying it strictly as a puzzle game, then replay value may be minimal. If people are buying it as a piece of art it may have a lot more to offer.
I'd probably lean more towards the latter. The sheer joy of manipulating the panels and seeing them interact and such is fun and engaging even when you know the solutions, I'm looking forward to replay it just to experience that clockwork-precise design again.

Courage

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Also finished this. Some of the most creative puzzle design I've seen in years, challenging your perception similarly to how The Witness did last year. The ending felt a little too abrupt (and maybe abstract?) to hit me on an emotional level, but I might replay just to soak it in again. Neat game.

GeoGonzo

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Madrid, Spain
I've bought it twice on iOS and I'll probably buy it on Steam. This is exactly the kind of game I love the most: Focused, beautiful and original.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Just picked it up for $10 and change with that bundle deal on Steam (already had Edith Finch). Can't wait to play this later!

gamegenie

Oct 30, 2017
So is there a suggested platform for this? Trying to decide between PC and iOS. Seems like it would be really suited for touch and it's a lot cheaper on iOS, so I am leaning towards that.

OP
OP
More_Badass

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
So is there a suggested platform for this? Trying to decide between PC and iOS. Seems like it would be really suited for touch and it's a lot cheaper on iOS, so I am leaning towards that.
I played the demo years ago on PC and am playing on iPad now, and I would recommend playing on iOS. It feels comfortable and tactile on touch

Deleted member 1849

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
After playing some of the PC version, I really wish this had an Android release. I feel like it would be perfect for my tablet.

It works totally fine with a mouse though.

thelongestj

Oct 27, 2017
Just finished this and it's some of the best 1hr 45 minutes of gaming I've had this year. Solving the puzzles is so satisfying.
Is there a general puzzle games thread? I feel like puzzle games are not appreciated enough, but maybe that's just me.

Mikke

Oct 28, 2017
Played and finished this yesterday, took me about 75 minutes or so, loved it.
The game does not feel too short, I think the length is perfect. I wasn't feeling the game for the first couple of puzzles but then the puzzles got quite elaborate and hooked me.
Definitely worth the 5€ I paid for the iPad version.

Aarglefarg

Oct 27, 2017
It was wonderful and just the right length. I don't know how long it took me, but it would be been more than two hours. It had beautiful art and clever puzzles. Upon finding the switch controls were just using the analog stick like a mouse, I thought it wasn't good but that wasn't so bad.

Hydderf

Oct 27, 2017
It was wonderful and just the right length. I don't know how long it took me, but it would be been more than two hours. It had beautiful art and clever puzzles. Upon finding the switch controls were just using the analog stick like a mouse, I thought it wasn't good but that wasn't so bad.

but, there are touch controls on the switch version!

BBboy20

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Watching Easy Allies streaming it, I wouldn't not be surprised this will be 1) the surprise hit of the month or the last big bang of the year 2) appear in others' GOTY lists.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Got two of the fruits before stopping last night. Wonderful game. I don't know why you would try to rush through this. It's fun to get lost in and admire the art and animation.

Red

Oct 26, 2017
Whoah, I had no idea this was on switch. Preordered the iOS version as soon as I could. Enjoyed it so far, though I wish it was more clear when I could zoom and move tiles. I've hit a couple of speed bumps because I tapped a tile and didn't get the action icons to show, causing me needless frustration trying to figure out what else I could do.

Kyo555

Oct 29, 2017
I really enjoyed it and for me it was worth the money, but I see people are understandably having a hard time justifying the asking price, so let me tell you how it went down for me.

So first some facts: I got stuck on a single puzzle for a while and finished it within 80 minutes and also watched the credits. I also didn't rush through it at all. I just hope that this doesn't encourage mass refunds due to the length.

Now this may sound bad for the price, but it really wasn't. This isn't a game that you play everyday and even if the price seems high at first, be assured that this is a one of a kind experience compared to other "gaming fast foods". It is premium, yes, and therefore has a premium price. It is up to you if you want to support more games like this being made in the future or not.

lojo

Oct 27, 2017
Would this make a good podcast game or is the music and sound too important for the experience?

Deleted member 419

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just finished this game and all I can say is...wow. If this is the final sendoff to 2017, then that was a hell of a way to go out. The game is absolute, sheer artistry. You can tell this was developed, iterated and brooded over for 7 years, because this kind of elegance and scope isn't something you see very often at all. It might very well be my favorite puzzle game ever.

Dreenk

Oct 27, 2017
I liked Gorogoa quite a bit. Very clever puzzle design, and beautiful art and music throughout. It only took me about two hours (although there are still hidden achievements, so I guess more to do?) but was worth the asking price - especially while discounted.
Would this make a good podcast game or is the music and sound too important for the experience?
Sound isn't necessary to complete it, but I liked the music and effects and thought they did a good job of enhancing the mood.