• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
Vectorman

Vectorman

Oct 25, 2017
Riding the Chillwavves
The Free Murdoc Campaign continues. This time it appears at all places the Kentucky Derby.

lxrwix114bw01.jpg

cbJucDw.jpg

KRrrDjz.jpg

By the way, Good Magic came in 2nd place so think about the fact that a rider in the Kentucky Derby is out here spreading the message of Gorillaz.

Roxas

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
According to The Mirror the album should be dropping really soon...

Gorillaz have a new album in the pipeline, but Damon caused a major panic when he left the group's master copy in a taxi.

The former Blur frontman, 50, went out on the razz with a laptop containing the group's new tracks, which echo Damon's anti-Brexit sentiments.

It's set for a release as early as next month.

A source said: "It was a disaster. Damon oversees everything and, with Gorillaz, it's not just audio – it's the expensive visuals as well. The laptop's contents are priceless.

"But after a night at Groucho, Damon accidentally left it in a cab and caused a huge panic.

"It's a really personal project because the album is very politically charged. A lot of his opinions on Brexit filter through it."

https://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebr...-panic-12519655.amp?__twitter_impression=true

EDIT: If you're wondering, they got the laptop back so it's all good

Last edited:

Nelo Ice

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
According to The Mirror the album should be dropping really soon...

https://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebr...-panic-12519655.amp?__twitter_impression=true

EDIT: If you're wondering, they got the laptop back so it's all good
First I'm hearing of this. Feels good inc.
Despite leaving six years between their last releases, the group followed up the album with a bonus track in October, and have since revealed plans to release another full album this year – AND one next year.

Artist Jamie Hewlett revealed: "We're going straight into the album with no break. Usually we have a good five-year break between each album but we decided, let's keep going."

zainmosni

Apr 17, 2018
That Mirror article has some info wrong, at no point have Damon or Jamie stated there will even be another album after this years that quote is from last year. There will however be a new Good the Bad the Queen album this fall that Damon says will be about Brexit which this article for some reason attributes to the new Gorillaz album. Also Damon left his laptop in a cab in 2016 while working on Humanz, so that's weird that this apparently happened a second time, this article seems like bull to me.

RoyaleDuke

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Nowhere
Hold up. You think Give 'em Enough Rope is a classic? It's not that it doesn't have a few classic Clash tracks on it, but the whole album? You're making me curious. What is it about it that makes you put it on that list?

I mean GER by The Clash is a classic to me, it's everything the clash were but more, and still not quite London Calling.

It's raw and honest and threatening and bleak.

Like the tracklist for example:

Safe European Home
English Civil War
Tommy Gun
Julie's Been Working For The Drug Squad
Last Gang in Town
Guns on The Roof
Drug Stabbing Time
Stay Free
Cheapskates
All The Young Punks(New Boots and Contracts)

These songs have titles that you have NO IDEA what they are going to be about, you can have an inkling until you listen.

Safe European Home feeds into the curiosity many feel to visit the US or other countries and the feeling of being lost and the desire to return home, while sarcastically remarking how similar the violent, drug addled US is to the "safe" UK.

English Civil War, which I can only assume is about the long history of division amongst the peoples of the United Kingdom and the troubles.

Tommy Gun, a song about the turbulence in Palestine.
JBWFTDS, a song about how the school systems teach our kids to spy on each other, in order to get people locked up for a bit of weed.
Last Gang in Town, about London's youth "gangs" a similar album on this idea would be The Who's Quadrophenia
Guns on The Roof, a song about englands own firearms issues and a commentary in general
DST, self explanatory but a song that commentates on the propensity of hard drugs to cause crime.
Stay Free, a pleading warning for people to be true to themselves and be free as possible in a cruel society
Cheapskates, a song that chronicles the life of being a poor, disenfranchised youth
ATYP, a song about finally making it and seeing everyone else make it even bigger than you and the feelings of animosity towards people who have success.

Like on a writing basis, all of these songs are amazing for the genre they are in but then you get to the sonic, the sound of it all and it is some of the most creative work the Clash does aside from SBMC. London Calling is kind of an evolution of what this album I think did better but London Calling is simply a sublime album so I can't really complain, I stopped listening to Clash after London Calling because everything that came after was terrible.

Mary Celeste

Oct 25, 2017
that Mirror article is pure bull. There will be a single called Humility for the new album this coming week or the next.

Oct 27, 2017
I mean GER by The Clash is a classic to me, it's everything the clash were but more, and still not quite London Calling.

It's raw and honest and threatening and bleak.

Like the tracklist for example:

Safe European Home
English Civil War
Tommy Gun
Julie's Been Working For The Drug Squad
Last Gang in Town
Guns on The Roof
Drug Stabbing Time
Stay Free
Cheapskates
All The Young Punks(New Boots and Contracts)

These songs have titles that you have NO IDEA what they are going to be about, you can have an inkling until you listen.

Safe European Home feeds into the curiosity many feel to visit the US or other countries and the feeling of being lost and the desire to return home, while sarcastically remarking how similar the violent, drug addled US is to the "safe" UK.

English Civil War, which I can only assume is about the long history of division amongst the peoples of the United Kingdom and the troubles.

Tommy Gun, a song about the turbulence in Palestine.
JBWFTDS, a song about how the school systems teach our kids to spy on each other, in order to get people locked up for a bit of weed.
Last Gang in Town, about London's youth "gangs" a similar album on this idea would be The Who's Quadrophenia
Guns on The Roof, a song about englands own firearms issues and a commentary in general
DST, self explanatory but a song that commentates on the propensity of hard drugs to cause crime.
Stay Free, a pleading warning for people to be true to themselves and be free as possible in a cruel society
Cheapskates, a song that chronicles the life of being a poor, disenfranchised youth
ATYP, a song about finally making it and seeing everyone else make it even bigger than you and the feelings of animosity towards people who have success.

Like on a writing basis, all of these songs are amazing for the genre they are in but then you get to the sonic, the sound of it all and it is some of the most creative work the Clash does aside from SBMC. London Calling is kind of an evolution of what this album I think did better but London Calling is simply a sublime album so I can't really complain, I stopped listening to Clash after London Calling because everything that came after was terrible.

Huh. I can get into that. Like I said, I think there are some really good songs on GER. I guess I'm sort of the mirror image of you, since I would describe Sandinista in a similar way. I love that one because The Clash put everything out there– you can hear the whole mess of their process, and, in the whole album, a sonic snapshot of their London. It might be overstuffed, it might lack the focus of London Calling or the raw power of the self titled, but it's a great mess.

Shauni

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Where do you find the story of Gorillaz after Plastic Beach? Like how do we know Murdoc is in jail and stuff like that? Is there a website somewhere or do people just examine the art and extrapolate it from that?

zainmosni

Apr 17, 2018
We know he's in jail from this short "acceptance speech" in February, since then we've also seen "Free Murdoc" written in various places.

Smylie

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oregon
Late to the party, but that Things I Like By Russel podcast is incredibly good. They're up to seven episodes now, and the musical/social/historical discussion is terrific.

The one with Pauline Black on ska is probably my favorite.

Zebei

Oct 25, 2017
Listened to humility a few dozen times. Will probably reach 100 by tomorrow if I haven't already. If the whole album is that good then I might have something to rival Humanz and Plastic beach.

Big shoes to fill, but I dont expect them to disappoint.

Lil Peanut Brotha

Motion Graphics Artist at Riot Games
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
CA, USA
It's out! I've given it one listen so far..I definitely already love half of it, and seeing how much the rest grows on me..either way I'm happy about this unexpected Gorillaz! I assumed I would have to wait till 2022 for more, haha.

PeacefulDream

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe I'm stuck in fanboy mode but I really like The Now Now. Very lowkey and emotional. Feels like The Fall but more polished. I really dig it.

Smylie

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oregon
Dang, The Now Now has killed all my excitement for The Gorillaz in a way I haven't felt since The Fall came out.

Talk about an unnecessary over-correction post-Humanz, which was legit their second best album of all time.

CoolestSpot

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dang, The Now Now has killed all my excitement for The Gorillaz in a way I haven't felt since The Fall came out.

Talk about an unnecessary over-correction post-Humanz, which was legit their second best album of all time.

I don't get this thinking since every album is so different. I usually read the description of a gorrilaz album before being hyped on it or not, since the thing I like most about Gorrilaz is how different every project is.

I agree humanz is their second best, but I enjoy the new album quite a bit personally

Deleted member 5853

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New update for Damon: He's implied that he's finished writing LP7 for Gorillaz. But, the album itself won't be recorded until he's finished his work with The Good, The Bad, and the Queen.
"I have another one as well, but I know I'm not gonna be allowed to even think about recording or putting it out this year," he said. "In October, after I play in America, I'll be starting The Good, The Bad & The Queen again…it's there. If I get the time, or if anyone wants it, it's there." Hear the full interview below, and hear the announcement around the 6:20 mark.
LP7 seems like a lock for 2020 then.

Azzanadra

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
What do you guys think about the character ages? Murdoc and 2D are respectively 52 and 40 now which seems... crazy to me. Noodle seems like the only who actually looks like she has grown up with the years.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Not even a big Blur fan, but if I had seen Damon play Song 2 at Demon Dayz I would've prob flipped out.