• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mary Celeste

Oct 25, 2017
wish they'd tweet some donation links or actual words about what's going on, but I don't expect it. Gorillaz PR and social media have been coasting by on the bare minimum for years.

GJ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Next song sounds like something off of Plastic Beach. I'm excited.

Give me more Demon Days-ish tracks though. Bring back Dangermouse.

Mary Celeste

Oct 25, 2017
It hasn't received an episod yet, they released it early because of Tony Allen's passing.
How Far will not receive an episode.

Really like the new song, I think Octavian is great on it and it really moves nicely from one section to the next, sounding really pleasant throughout. A hundred thousand times better than Aries, to me. Video was simple but frequently looked really gorgeous, getting the first glimpse of the blue sky when 2D sang "it's a beautiful day" was a great moment, and Russel mouthing "I don't talk too much" was pretty funny.

Next episode is called Pac Man, the collab is gonna kill that fucking beat I can feel it.

edit: when did this get moved into hangouts? feel like a lot of people are gonna miss that a new video is out. guess I should make a new thread for every episode

Roxas

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Video and song were both great! Though I'd have to say Aries is still my favorite (Damon's singing plus Peter Hook's bass is a winning combo) this was pretty good, the video for this one was better than the Aries video for sure.

How Far will not receive an episode.

Really like the new song, I think Octavian is great on it and it really moves nicely from one section to the next, sounding really pleasant throughout. A hundred thousand times better than Aries, to me. Video was simple but frequently looked really gorgeous, getting the first glimpse of the blue sky when 2D sang "it's a beautiful day" was a great moment, and Russel mouthing "I don't talk too much" was pretty funny.

Next episode is called Pac Man, the collab is gonna kill that fucking beat I can feel it.

edit: when did this get moved into hangouts? feel like a lot of people are gonna miss that a new video is out. guess I should make a new thread for every episode

Do you know if they'll move to the usual schedule? Aries came out in April, How Far? was may but even they don't see it as part of the episodes (though it should get a video homage for Tony eventually, that'd be a feelgood moment), seems like a long time passed between releases, did COVID impact the production of the videos?

Mary Celeste

Oct 25, 2017
Roxas I believe they'll be back to the monthly schedule, though I can't say for certain. I think we'll get an episode a month until October, not sure what happens after that

spx54

Mar 21, 2019
need to give this one a few more listens before I can properly judge it. I definitely like the experimentation. that's why this project is already better than Humans and TNN imo. it feels experimental in a way those albums weren't

Roxas I believe they'll be back to the monthly schedule, though I can't say for certain. I think we'll get an episode a month until October, not sure what happens after that

haven't they already said that there's going to be a second season of Song Machine?

Mary Celeste

Oct 25, 2017
haven't they already said that there's going to be a second season of Song Machine?
They're certainly planning on it, though whether or not it actually happens (or when it happens) remains to be seen. They're already working on the next project after Song Machine, and have been for quite some time. Think of Song Machine almost like a bonus season of Gorillaz in place of what would usually be an extended hiatus.

Oct 27, 2017
PIT
They're certainly planning on it, though whether or not it actually happens (or when it happens) remains to be seen. They're already working on the next project after Song Machine, and have been for quite some time. Think of Song Machine almost like a bonus season of Gorillaz in place of what would usually be an extended hiatus.

Basically extending the TV show concept Jamie had.

Next project.....

spx54

Mar 21, 2019

kinda hope they ditch making albums and continue just making singles. this kind of format works out much better for them

Roxas

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
kinda hope they ditch making albums and continue just making singles. this kind of format works out much better for them

While I agree, Song Machine so far has been great and truly is to the spirit of Gorillaz, and it may be Gorillaz in it's most simplest form, IE: Damon collaborating with whoever he wants on a song that sounds however they want, I still think there's value in an entire record with one single vision like Humanz

Mary Celeste

Oct 25, 2017
While I agree, Song Machine so far has been great and truly is to the spirit of Gorillaz, and it may be Gorillaz in it's most simplest form, IE: Damon collaborating with whoever he wants on a song that sounds however they want, I still think there's value in an entire record with one single vision like Humanz
honestly, I've noticed so far that all of these song machine tracks share some sort of theme revolving around loss, often personal loss. A loss of your best self, your best moments, or your loved ones, and the struggle to try to reclaim them. The Now Now was about this too, but it was just Damon sharing his own thoughts and experiences on the matter.

So far, Song Machine feels like turning The Now Now into an actual Gorillaz album, by opening up the sonic palette and letting guests speak on their experiences with the core theme, just like Demon Days, Plastic Beach, and Humanz did.

Lord Fanny

Apr 25, 2020
So, this is probably a long shot, but has anyone else managed to get any of the Limited Prints they've put up periodically on the Gorillaz store? I ask because I managed to get Print 3, and I like it well enough, but I would love to have Print 2 and especially Print 4. They go up and sell out so dammed fast I don't even know how I got Print 3. But like if there is anyone else who is looking to grab them and have 2 or 4 and either wants to or is willing to trade for 3, let me know.

I'm also going to put this in the Buy/Trade thread at some point, but I don't see many people posting both there and here, so figured I'd throw out the line in this thread.

Mary Celeste

Oct 25, 2017
So, this is probably a long shot, but has anyone else managed to get any of the Limited Prints they've put up periodically on the Gorillaz store? I ask because I managed to get Print 3, and I like it well enough, but I would love to have Print 2 and especially Print 4. They go up and sell out so dammed fast I don't even know how I got Print 3. But like if there is anyone else who is looking to grab them and have 2 or 4 and either wants to or is willing to trade for 3, let me know.

I'm also going to put this in the Buy/Trade thread at some point, but I don't see many people posting both there and here, so figured I'd throw out the line in this thread.
I know some people who got all of em so far. I can't imagine anyone's interested in selling, but I'll ask

trappedinsap

Jul 26, 2019
I may have to listen a few more times, but Friday the 13th is easily my least favorite from Song Machine so far.

Mary Celeste

Oct 25, 2017
after a few more listens and thinking on the lyrics, I think it's actually my favorite Song Machine track yet. What a beautiful, powerful, and delicate tune.

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
Friday 13th is great. I always miss Damon vocals when a guest dominates a track, but Octavian fit the beat perfectly. Just a lovely groove throughout.

Deleted member 5853

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"rumors" say the next song is PAC-MAN ft. ScHoolboy Q
SadRareGrassspider-size_restricted.gif

Overflow

Oct 29, 2017
Wollongong
Really love Momentary Bliss, Desole and Aries are all phenomenal but Friday the 13th isn't really my vibe. Don't hate it though, and I respect Damon for continuing to just do his own thing.

Would love to see some more peppy stuff like my fav Gorillaz song in years, Humility.

Valkrai

Oct 25, 2017
New Machine Bitez came out and it confirmed Schoolboy Q as the next artist. I'm betting next week for a song release.