• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
PIT
New key art.

EPZyasvWABwf6FZ

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

I fucking loved Reject False Icons so seeing them do episodes for songs followed by the release of the song is going to be amazing, but it's also their TV show too. This is going to be wild

According to a press release, 2D, Murdoc, Noodle and Russel will spit out "brand new episodes fresh from the studio, as and when they happen... Season 1 of Song Machine will see Gorillaz joined by an exciting and ever-evolving roster of as yet unannounced collaborators captured live in Kong Studios alongside the world's most successful virtual band. The cameras are rolling 24/7, the fourth wall is broken, the kettle is on, the chaos is real, the door is open… What's coming next? Stay tuned."

"Hello everyone who is reading these words. I'll keep this short because once you say things you can't unsay them and they exist in the universe forever, like Tupperware," read a statement from singer 2D, with drummer Russel adding, "Song Machine is a whole new way of doing what we do. Gorillaz breaking the mold 'cos the mold got old. World is moving faster than a supercharged particle, so we've gotta stay ready to drop. We don't even know who's stepping through the studio next. Song Machine feeds on the unknown, runs on pure chaos. So whatever the hell's coming, we're primed and ready to produce like there's no tomorrow. Y'know, just in case…"

Link

Mary Celeste

Oct 25, 2017
Damon says this Song Machine thing is going to be a song/video a month, basically forever. 13 songs to start with this first season. They're already recording for future seasons, with Schoolboy Q and Sampa the Great.

Oct 27, 2017
PIT
Damon says this Song Machine thing is going to be a song/video a month, basically forever. 13 songs to start with this first season. They're already recording for future seasons, with Schoolboy Q and Sampa the Great.

Not sure how I feel about the music release like that. BUT I like the videos with so much personality of the band and experimental animation.

spx54

Mar 21, 2019

this is a great idea. could lead to lots of S/T type experimentation. Humanz and The Now Now were too straightforward, doing albums with a coherent sound at this point is too restricting

Last edited:

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
That art supposed to invoke the sense that the next track will be very self-titled sounding too? :O

Mary Celeste

Oct 25, 2017
Gorillaz liked a tweet from someone asking them to do a collab with Tyler. He was on the fake festival poster they posted last year, along with Slowthai and Slaves, so I wouldn't be surprised if they have a track with him coming this year.

Mary Celeste

Oct 25, 2017
Man who knew that fake poster housed so much info.
I always suspected - Guiltybeatz was on that poster and he said a few months prior that he did a session with Gorillaz (which was our first real hint they were recording something.) Figured anyone alive on that list was fair game. Now I'm looking at it again and imagining a Gorillaz x Death Grips x Black Midi song and crying

Oct 27, 2017
PIT
I always suspected - Guiltybeatz was on that poster and he said a few months prior that he did a session with Gorillaz (which was our first real hint they were recording something.) Figured anyone alive on that list was fair game. Now I'm looking at it again and imagining a Gorillaz x Death Grips x Black Midi song and crying

Yeah the one that stood out was Death Grips which I could see being insane.

May 26, 2018

There are so many songs and collabs in the Gorillaz vault that we'll just never hear, and it drives me crazy.

Mary Celeste

Oct 25, 2017
Can someone post the poster here? I don't think I've seen it. Thanks.

Damon cut Leviathan but kept Sweepstakes on PB lmao
Damon's decision making with PB's production is some of the baffling shit I've ever seen a major artist do. So much amazing stuff was cut, and I'll never understand why. Glitter Freeze was supposed to be 8 minutes long and have crazy guitars and screaming verses between Mark E Smith and Ghostigital. Electric Shock with Hypnotic Brass Ensemble and De La Soul was a key song until it was cut near the end of production. The common theory is that after Damon took a break in the middle of 2009 to do the reunion shows with Blur, he got accustomed to packed arenas full of excited fans jamming out to pop music, and when he returned to PB's production to finish it up he hastily reassembled the project to be a pop album in order to chase that high again.

An interview from April 2010 has a radio host telling Damon that PB turned out great, and Damon snaps "did it??" back at him, so I think he realized very quickly that he fucked it up.

spx54

Mar 21, 2019

Damon's decision making with PB's production is some of the baffling shit I've ever seen a major artist do. So much amazing stuff was cut, and I'll never understand why. Glitter Freeze was supposed to be 8 minutes long and have crazy guitars and screaming verses between Mark E Smith and Ghostigital. Electric Shock with Hypnotic Brass Ensemble and De La Soul was a key song until it was cut near the end of production. The common theory is that after Damon took a break in the middle of 2009 to do the reunion shows with Blur, he got accustomed to packed arenas full of excited fans jamming out to pop music, and when he returned to PB's production to finish it up he hastily reassembled the project to be a pop album in order to chase that high again.

An interview from April 2010 has a radio host telling Damon that PB turned out great, and Damon snaps "did it??" back at him, so I think he realized very quickly that he fucked it up.

hope we get seasides at some point. we should've got it after PB but the production was such a shitshow that its not really surprising that they didn't feel like releasing it

Mary Celeste

Oct 25, 2017
hope we get seasides at some point. we should've got it after PB but the production was such a shitshow that its not really surprising that they didn't feel like releasing it
Damon was contractually obligated to give EMI another album in 2011 - EMI and Jamie were both expecting and planning on Sea Sides. But during the Plastic Beach tour as tensions between Damon and Jamie worsened, Damon decided that he was done with Gorillaz and didn't want to have to go back to the studio and finish up those songs after the tour. So he shat an album out on his iPad during the tour and gave that to EMI instead, effectively taking his toys and going home. It's really depressing.

I spoke to Jamie about releasing these songs at Demon Dayz 2018, after a petition was signed by over ten thousand fans asking nicely for the band to put some of them out, and he was very receptive to it. Maybe we'll get a few through Song Machine eventually. We'll see.

Mary Celeste

Oct 25, 2017
sounds good, love Russ with those carrots lol. Really awesome to see foreign language vocals take prominence on a big gorillaz release for the first time since Latin Simone

LabRat

Mar 16, 2018
latin simone was also the first thing that came to my mind but it sounds more like something from the now now

Roxas

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Worth noting that the Spotify version is a tad shorter, I thought the instrumental bits dragged on a bit too much in the video, but that's fixed over there for me, great song as always

Minky

Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Fucking wow, loved that one. First song of theirs I've enjoyed in ages.
Really nice video too.

Smylie

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oregon
Got some real New Order vibes from that sneak peek of Song #3. Wonder if that'll be the feature on the next song.