• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 2210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand how this is her redeeming herself it's just 20k. "Road to redemption????" She didn't steal anything. She didn't swindle anyone, she didn't grift anyone. She didn't know she'd get help for free. Y'all couldn't just let her have the money? Influencers get paid more to fart in a jar.

she provided so many shitty news outlets with clicks. So many people started making accounts just to provide updates on gorilla glue girl and got millions of likes per video on tiktok. She singlehandedly made TMZ a trusted source amongst gen z... and y'all can't let her have $20k.

It all reeks of something...

Absolutely, she had literally nothing to apologize for, if anything her position was made worse by media because of the lawsuit rumors and then people inputting their thoughts on what she should do with money that was donated, keyword, DONATED, to her.

She didn't have to even do this if she didn't want to, but she did because she's better than most of the people attacking her on unfound shit and frankly anti-black sentiment.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I honestly don't why this story is popular lol. How did it become so viral?

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
White people can't help but make a spectacle of black folks, that's how.
These types of accidents happen all the time. Just crazy it became such a thing. I mean, I'm happy she was able to get care. Just the constant focus on this incident is so so weird.

Soda

Oct 26, 2017
Dunedin, New Zealand
My understanding on the discussion of suing was simply that a lawyer had consulted her about whether there were legal options she should pursue. Is even that much true, or did no lawyer ever exist? It didn't ever sound like she was seriously considering any lawsuits.

Happy she's recovering and extremely generous for her to donate so much of the money. I fear she's gonna get a lot of local attention as folks fight to get those donations as one of the three families, so hopefully she doesn't get overwhelmed.

steejee

Oct 28, 2017
Good on her.

Kinda been infuriating seeing people find new reasons to rip on her when incomplete info came out. The "looking to sue" bits were never corroborated in the first place.

Kard8p3

Oct 25, 2017
Man you gotta love a story that ends in all the right ways.

Though I wouldn't disagree if she kept some of it, even. I bet that shit was traumatic as fuck to go through. As someone who tries to take extra care of their hair if I had that happen? Fuuuck.

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
She's already an eceleb. I'm sure she's getting offers for bigger checks to be an influencer/ appear in meme commercials. Bad PR's not worth it.

Mecha Meister

Next-Gen Guru
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
This forum did a good job at giving her shit, and TMZ ran with their dumb lawsuit story which only led to further damage.

I saw a recent interview with her, and she looked completely drained, she even said that she regrets posting the video in the first place.

She's a better person than me.

If that were me, and the character attacks started coming in out of nowhere, I probably would've spent it out of spite.

Almost everything that happened to her after the initial video was fucked up.

TMZ went in for the kill with the lawsuit story.

Desparadina

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
A lot of users on here were just straight shitting on her for no real reason. When there is a literal product with a similar name that black women use, but instead the 'play stupid games, win stupid prizes." brigade had to come out and show their whole asses for no real reason. There was nothing malicious about her intent.

Oct 25, 2017
She is a 40 year old teacher and that kind of money would have been life changing. It's not like she was clout chasing and begging for donations. She 100% should have been able to keep the money without being called a grifter.

SAINT_

Banned
Oct 4, 2020
White people can't help but make a spectacle of black folks, that's how.

black twitter played a big part in it blowing up as well, the memes were hilarious. that being said, after watching some of her interviews and following her on SM, she seems nice. i hope she finds success with her new business ventures.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
black twitter played a big part in it blowing up as well, the memes were hilarious. that being said, after watching some of her interviews and following her on SM, she seems nice. i hope she finds success with her new business ventures.
Note, I think that the original video and situation was ridiculous. However, that should've been, like, the end of it? Or at the very least, people shouldn't have been spreading rumors that she's a grifter who deliberately harmed herself to fleece folks out of their money, or that the donations that she was given (note: she never asked for anything) and the free surgery she got (after her initially horrible hospitalization) were undeserved, and that she was somehow morally obligated to give the money away. It quickly became malicious, and she was put under the microscope to be a saint over a situation that, frankly, no one had any stakes in. She got less empathy than the fuckin' white kid who got shot by assaulting people with knives specifically for YouTube clout. It's ridiculous.

Taffy Lewis

Oct 27, 2017
If the McDonalds coffee incident has taught my anything, I'm looking forward to hearing about the greedy gorilla glue lady who sued a tiny company while also raking in tens of thousands on GoFundme because she wouldn't just cut her hair for the rest of my life.

The damage is done. The disinformation storm did its job.

People invented some narrative where the McDonald's thing was about coffee being too hot when it was about a warning label that was too small for the jury. And are now acting like there was some "smear campaign" and it wasn't an obviously frivolous lawsuit about some lady burning herself on coffee that was appropriately hot.

EJS

The Fallen - Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
The right move. Glad it happened this way. A happy ending, truly.

Oct 25, 2017
Louisville, Kentucky
People invented some narrative where the McDonald's thing was about coffee being too hot when it was about a warning label that was too small for the jury. And are now acting like there was some "smear campaign" and it wasn't an obviously frivolous lawsuit about some lady burning herself on coffee that was appropriately hot.
Thank you for proving my point.

Despite the wealth of sources available that can explain the facts of the story, people like you still believe the (incorrect) common media narrative at the time of the case. There's no point explaining those facts to you because if you cared you could google "Mcdonalds Coffee Burns" or something and read any one of a dozen different articles/briefs on the subject.

Which is exactly why the facts of this case will not matter decades from now. All that will matter is the version of the story people want to jeer at.

Faenix1

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
She got less empathy than the fuckin' white kid who got shot by assaulting people with knives specifically for YouTube clout. It's ridiculous.

I'm sorry, but how's that? I didn't pay attention too much to that "prank" thread here but I didn't see anyone outside Resetera give that dumbass an ounce of sympathy.

MC Boing

Oct 20, 2020
England
The vitriol this woman has received in the past few threads was genuinely disgusting. It's ridiculous to see stupid rumours spread about a black woman and people instantly take it on because... well we know why.

Happy this whole situation is over for her and donating the gofundme money was definitely the right move after having free surgery. Hope she can go back to normal life after this.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sorry, but how's that? I didn't pay attention too much to that "prank" thread here but I didn't see anyone outside Resetera give that dumbass an ounce of sympathy.
Well yeah, my complaints are being leveled at Era, not the entire public at large. I would imagine (hope) the order of operations was reversed.

OP
OP
DiipuSurotu

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
She got less empathy than the fuckin' white kid who got shot by assaulting people with knives specifically for YouTube clout. It's ridiculous.
Wait which white kid? Are you talking about this guy?

PYigkiD.jpg

www.wkrn.com

Grandmother mourns ‘soft-spoken’ YouTuber killed during ‘prank robbery’ in Old Hickory

The grandmother of a 20-year-old man killed outside of an Old Hickory business during a “prank robbery” last week is urging parents and guardians to pay attention to what their children are doing o…

Daingurse

Oct 25, 2017
Good for her, although I think she should have kept the money. At least now people can shut the fuck up about any supposed "grifting".

pinkurocket

Oct 26, 2017
This is really nice, but she also deserved to keep the money just because she provided so much content for a bunch of outlets and other social media accounts. She was a source of clicks and income for many. That being said, she probably got paid by TMZ so I hope she got a decent paycheck out of it.

Jan 18, 2018
This is really nice, but she also deserved to keep the money just because she provided so much content for a bunch of outlets and other social media accounts. She was a source of clicks and income for many. That being said, she probably got paid by TMZ so I hope she got a decent paycheck out of it.
According to era she didn't deserve a lick of it for being stupid.

Well yeah, my complaints are being leveled at Era, not the entire public at large. I would imagine (hope) the order of operations was reversed.

Era is obsessed with assigning labels and pretending to be better than everyone else.

OP
OP
DiipuSurotu

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

studyguy

Oct 26, 2017
People entirely too hostile to what is essentially some incredibly dumb move that might otherwise bankrupt someone seeking medical aid to return to some semblance of normalcy. People do dumb shit all the time unintentionally and our awful system makes sure we're punished every step of the way. Glad she got help, glad she's donating, in many other countries this wouldn't have needed a gofundme.

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018

The lady had to get skin grafts (and she initially only sought for McDonald's to cover her medical bills, and they refused) and during discovery they found that McDonald's has already spent over half a million dollars settling similar cases.