• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
Lol the disguises are so low effort. Even compared to Hells Kitchen when he used disguises. If this is the right restaurant I saw on Google, the business seems to be well received as well haha

DJMicLuv

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
If this was a series featuring Gordon Ramsey actually visiting hell and suffering prolonged and agonising torture I'd watch it.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I hate when they have a super sad story and they exploit for drama.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
Whats with Ramsay and Hell?
images

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
I hate when they have a super sad story and they exploit for drama.

Yes, it would be nice if some of these episodes were just about bad restaurateurs who needed help to improve but its Gordon being a therapist and listening to their drama.

To hell and back?

You're fucking cooking food bro, not watching the crosses grow on Anzio.

And the cooking is actually barely present in the show lol. The most significant chunk is just when the cooks are getting some extra training

Judge

Vault-Tec Seal of Approval
Oct 25, 2017
Just got done watching the first episode. It was entertaining enough, but the cheap gasp tracks and stupid crime lab style camera shots of what's wrong are so detracting. The actual meat and potatoes was fine though

Hooky

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Top Chef has more manufactured drama between contestants than MasterChef, at least while I was still watching either of them.

Bourdain said:
...And I'm guessing that both Erik and I are still somehow constrained from talking about specifics of security; any on-set instances of the use of controlled substances; which judges might or might not be smarter than the others; whether or not there are tumblers of gin and tonic under the judges' table—and so on. To speculate on such things would be irresponsible.

What I can assure you—without hesitation or qualification—is that the judging I've been witness to or part of, in five appearances as a judge, has always been straight. Meaning, no matter how much the producers of the show may want the contestant with the heartbreakingly tragic personal story (and amazing chesticles) to survive until next week, the worst cook that particular week goes home. On Top Chef—as long as Tom Colicchio is judge—the best food that week gets you the win. The worst food gets you the loss. It's the whole "what have you done for me lately" criterion at judges' table. Due to the fact that guest judges can't and haven't been witness to a contestant's previous efforts, past works do NOT factor into the final judgement. I feel sorry for the producers sometimes, imagining their silent screams as Tom reluctantly decides that the all-around better contestant, with the movie-star looks and the huge popularity with viewers, just fucked up too bad to make it to next week and has to go home.

Their lips mouthing, "Noooooooo! Not Trey!!! NOT TREYYY!!!" impotently in the control room as another beloved fan-favorite gets sent packing.

Judging is taken seriously by the permanent judges and guest judges alike. I've spent hours arguing with Tom, Padma, and guest judges—trying to reach a consensus on winners and losers. It is a thoughtful and considered process

TC is a reality show like any other, so certain aspects of casting figure more prominently than they should, product placement is blatant in the first half/travel portions of eps, and it certainly tries to hit those commercial breaks hard with the drama and all that. But the actual foundation of the show is about as legitimate as you'll find in this weird niche.

Interviewing a former contestant:

Of his Top Chef experience, he has no complaints. "They didn't turn me into something I wasn't."

Whereas turning people into something they are not is the entire premise of Fox's MasterChef! I will not sit idly by while you besmirch Top Chef by comparing it to any of this dreadful sludge! Ok, technically I will, but if you're still besmirching around this time next week and I happen to click on this thread, you'll hear about it then, too.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Clive definitely seemed like a stand up dude who had been through some shit. Lmfao at Ramsay's disguise though, surely that wasn't fooling anyone.

Oct 25, 2017
LOL,
this episode I was like
"Oh, its actually not that ba...."

That grease ball he started rolling was absolutely disgusting.

Wein Cruz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I hope they rework the format because it sucks as is.

At least roll back the food tasting bit to be like kitchen nightmares.

Oct 25, 2017
I laughed that this costume was such an afterthought that there wasn't a makeup team hiding in the bathroom this time.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Gave it a shot, waaay too fake and staged for me. Wish he would go back to his original Kitchen Nightmares UK run

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if anyone is still bothering with this show but its back and premiere of the second season is airing right now on the east cost. The show is so silly and over the top. It seems more like a parody than anything else and its hilarious like that.

gdt

Oct 26, 2017
Yah we'll watch it on Hulu this weekend. We love Gordan.

An episode this season was filmed pretty close to us. There was a buzz in town when he was here. Allentown PA.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So this is Kitchen Nightmares with a 24 timer? I don't really see a point. Even with the several days afforded through standard Kitchen Nightmares, a lot of these restaurants ended up closing anyway because they couldn't maintain the standards or it was already too late to save them.

A mouse in the damn toaster? Shouldn't that thing be burnt to hell if they've used that toaster even once unless that mouse just showed up that day?

If you think Gordon Ramsay personally found a toaster mouse then I have a strudel factory to sell you. But you're right that you'd be mad to go check it out. At least Amy had a shot at selling insane novelty pastries.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I love this show. They just had Vincent Pastore and Joseph Gannascoli from the Sopranos on doing their bit.

None of his shows have ever been half as good as his UK Nightmares or F Word, where he acted like an actual human being and not a cartoon. But I do like watching how he completely transforms restaurants in this show.

Oct 25, 2017
I lost when he threw the rotten apple at the dude a few episodes ago.
Guy sat there for a few seconds like "did he really just do that" then waddled off embarrassed.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Cool, I am catching up, and one of the recent episodes is at a place that I actually ate at once in Richmond, Virginia.

Man these shows are so over produced and edited. Ramsay makes it seem like the pork chops were dry, there was something wrong with the shrimp, etc. The food was good when I went and the service was fast. Oh well. At least they got a cool makeover and free publicity and stuff.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
Cool, I am catching up, and one of the recent episodes is at a place that I actually ate at once in Richmond, Virginia.

Man these shows are so over produced and edited. Ramsay makes it seem like the pork chops were dry, there was something wrong with the shrimp, etc. The food was good when I went and the service was fast. Oh well. At least they got a cool makeover and free publicity and stuff.
I think they made it pretty clear during the episode that the problem wasn't in the kitchen but in the owner forcing her way into what they were doing.

Oct 25, 2017

Maybe you went on a day when the food was prepared decently?

Deleted member 28461

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I can't believe Ramsay was in VA twice this season and I didn't know until they were airing. I would love to meet him, even if only for a second.

Richmond episode was weird. They really didn't seem that bad. I actually rewound the show once the credits started, looking for the obligatory scene where Gordon explores a disgusting kitchen.

doof_warrior

Oct 25, 2017
NJ
the episode for caneda's white rooster was shot down the road from my house, in the parking lot at a bay beach, and the restaurant is basically at the other end of that road 2min away

Oct 27, 2017
I can't believe Ramsay was in VA twice this season and I didn't know until they were airing. I would love to meet him, even if only for a second.

Richmond episode was weird. They really didn't seem that bad. I actually rewound the show once the credits started, looking for the obligatory scene where Gordon explores a disgusting kitchen.
Yeah, they didn't seem to have a problem with the kitchen or chefs at that place.

Oct 25, 2017
LOL this owner sucked.
dude threw out food Ramsay's team had prepared the very next day and then lies about it in the update video..

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Yeah, this. I'll still watch the current show because I always enjoy Ramsay, but this format is so stupid compared to his past shows.
It's just too game show-y, especially when you consider the editing. The big stupid impractical truck-kitchen, the huge timer, eh. I want to see people getting lessons on cooking and running a restaurant at a reasonable pace.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Dude was hitting tequila (or was it vodka?) straight from the bottle in his car, in the morning. I hope he gets help.