• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bubbles

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA/Thailand
I'm gonna make a "White Cuisine" restaurant that serves burgers and pizza and steaks and chicken and salad and Kraft Dinner with chopped up hotdogs in it and Shepard's pie and English breakfast and eggs Benedict. The decor is going to be a 1920s speakeasy.

I'm gonna call it Uncle Moes.
We have restaurants exactly like this all over Asia. Many of them are also Texas themed.
*shrugs*

Anyway white people: since I am duly recognized representative for people of asian heritage, you have my blessing to eat at this authentic Asian restaurant free of guilt. If anyone gives you trouble, just mention to them I said it's cool.

However, I highly doubt many of you will actually enjoy authentic asian food :) it mostly is nothing like what you find at Chinese restaurants or even sushi bars lol

Deleted member 907

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's really not that....it's the fact that you think he HAS to hire or include Asians in his restaurant. He absolutely doesn't have to. It's one thing to discriminate against Asians (which he isn't), and another thing to manadate who has to be included in HIS business. He can hire who he thinks will best run his restaurant.
It almost seems like some action of the affirmative type should be taken to make up for systemic discrimination...

...nah, let's just hire all white folks because having a requirement to have a diverse workforce would be racist.

Deleted member 1589

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We have restaurants exactly like this all over Asia. Many of them are also Texas themed.
*shrugs*
lmao, I was thinking the same thing when I saw the post.

There's so many of those kinds of restaurants all over south east asia.

Edit: one thing I agree about is that he really should employ asians in his restaurant. There really is a glass ceiling for Asian chefs in the food industry. Bringing in some to help them build theirnname would be great.

Deleted member 2761

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's really not that....it's the fact that you think he HAS to hire or include Asians in his restaurant. He absolutely doesn't have to. It's one thing to discriminate against Asians (which he isn't), and another thing to manadate who has to be included in HIS business. He can hire who he thinks will best run his restaurant.

Just as Gordon has a right to his goddamn business however he wants, us Asians have a right to call him out for fucking cultural appropriation if we see it. You're acting as if we have any sort of power beyond our voices and are physically and legally preventing him from opening his stupid restaurant. Do you want us to shut up? Gee, thanks for your illuminating contribution to the fucking conversation.

Last edited:

Hasseigaku

Oct 30, 2017
Not sure what this has to do with my post or the post I quoted.

Someone: You NEVER see a "European" menu/restaurant
Me: Actually that's very common in Indian and Chinese restateunts in the UK
You: THE INDIANS OPPRESSED THE BRITISH

There's a big difference between other cultures taking on the food and customs of dominant, colonizing cultures and marginalized cultures and peoples creating their food under the pressures of a dominant culture.

Edit: See, for example, whiteness being prized in many cultures thanks to colonial influence.

Narasumas

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Melbourne, Florida
It almost seems like some action of the affirmative type should be taken to make up for systemic discrimination...

...nah, let's just hire all white folks because having a requirement to have a diverse workforce would be racist.
That's literally not the case here at all. Folks are making the argument he needs to hire Asians. He can hire whom ever he wants, so long as the basis of hiring isn't founded in discrimination.

Narasumas

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Melbourne, Florida
Just as Gordon has a right to his goddamn business however he wants, us Asians have a right to call him out for fucking cultural appropriation if we see. You're acting as if we have any sort of power beyond our voices and are physically and legally preventing him from opening his stupid restaurant. Do you want us to shut up? Gee, thanks for your illuminating contribution to the fucking conversation.
You are so hostile in all of your replies. Maybe that's why I'm "acting as if you have some sort of power"....bc your flexing on any one else with a differing opinion as you do. So many people these days are all or nothing....one or the other.... it's wild.

Anyways, you said it. Someone with a different opinion has nothing to contribute here....which is often a trend I've noticed. I'll leave on that note. Have a good day Lesath.

Jan 10, 2018
Not sure what this has to do with my post or the post I quoted.

Someone: You NEVER see a "European" menu/restaurant
Me: Actually that's very common in Indian and Chinese restateunts in the UK
You: THE INDIANS OPPRESSED THE BRITISH

I deserved the comeuppance for not stating enough obvious things.

There is a slight, not noticeable difference between the small subsection of smaller restaurants trying to appeal to white people and white people appealing to white people and calling it authentic asian.

Deleted member 12224

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's literally not the case here at all. Folks are making the argument he needs to hire Asians. He can hire whom ever he wants, so long as the basis of hiring isn't founded in discrimination.
That's a bit of sophistry. I doubt anyone here believes he has a legal requirement to hire certain ethnicities when they say he should or even must. People can be more precise with language but it's a safe assumption people aren't referring to a legal "must".

The kitchen staff, if this were opened in the US, would have a sizable number of invisible-to-the-public Latin immigrants working alongside the culinary school grads of whatever ethnicity anyway.

Deleted member 907

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You can't honestly say that the local restaurant industry doesn't have any issues of racism in it's hiring practices. I'm pretty confident in saying that the hiring of high profile positions for Lucky Cat is founded in discrimination and not about elevating people from the culture Ramsey is seeking to use as a prop for profit.

Whiteness being prized predates colonial influence.
Light skin and whiteness aren't the same thing.

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
white people appealing to white people and calling it authentic asian.

That's the part that's the most eye rolling to me, I think. & I've come to understand why - it's just ignorance and lack of exposure - but still, it doesn't stop me from rolling my eyes. I mean, really. Using the word "authentic"? Talking about doing your decor is a... "Far East" style? *vomits a little.

This is no different than Gucci launching a "Native American" line of handbags made with traditional Peruvian, North American, and other various indigenous people's patterns & colors. The only people dumb enough to buy it are doing so because they want the prestige of the name, or because the pattern/colors "appeal" to them in the most shallow way possible - a tangential glimpse of this exotic, mythical history as seen on TV a la Pocahontas. Because in this day & age, you can purchase actual bags/clothing made by the people who live in those places. You can, if you really cared, learn about what "authentic" Peruvian patterns and materials are. (edit: there are some major websites that do sell clothing/goods sourced from the villages and cities of the cultural item in question. So I do encourage you, if you want an "authentic" poncho or "authentic" African statue, to not to go to Target but to instead patronize those places.)

So yeah sorry but I'mma have to write off most of the posters here as having the same mindset from that "100k is rich" thread. If you never get the chance to know what you're talking about, you can't be expected to understand the difference.

Cokie Bear

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I deserved the comeuppance for not stating enough obvious things.

There is a slight, not noticeable difference between the small subsection of smaller restaurants trying to appeal to white people and white people appealing to white people and calling it authentic asian.
This is what I don't get. Why is it "white people appealing to white people" just because Gordon Ramsay is white? Only white people like Gordon Ramsay's food?

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
This is what I don't get. Why is it "white people appealing to white people" just because Gordon Ramsay is white? Only white people like Gordon Ramsay's food?
It's the marketing. 'Authentic Asian', "1930s drinking dens of Tokyo and the Far East", references to urban dwellers and adventure.

Izzard

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
I'm gonna make a "White Cuisine" restaurant that serves burgers and pizza and steaks and chicken and salad and Kraft Dinner with chopped up hotdogs in it and Shepard's pie and English breakfast and eggs Benedict. The decor is going to be a 1920s speakeasy.

I'm gonna call it Uncle Moes.

Good for you. I'd maybe research a bit more on the food though. What you've listed is pretty basic.

Jan 10, 2018
A revolutionary new venture and concept for the group, the restaurant is set to be an authentic Asian Eating House and vibrant late-night lounge, inspired by the drinking dens of 1930s Tokyo and the Far East.

In keeping with the authenticity of the concept, the restaurant's name takes inspiration from Asian culture where the 'lucky cat' is a talisman that is believed to attract good luck and fortune."

Orientalism is the hot new shit amongst Asians

Deleted member 2761

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A white woman owns the company that is designing it. That doesn't mean that there aren't others working on the design. They credit Monmon Cats with the look they're going for.

...which circles us back to the idea of institutional racism. In my line of work (academic biologist) there are no shortage of Asians and women, but as you draw your gaze up the totem pole, an obvious, very white, and very male pattern emerges. Carefully consider if it truly is a triumph of inclusion and diversity if some low-level designer the woman hires *might* be Asian?

At a glance, this looks like a textbook case of white people propping each other up in positions of wealth and power. So we return to the questions of: what's being taken, what's being sold, and who stands to profit?

Last edited:

bagandscalpel

Oct 25, 2017
You do you, Gordon Ramsey.

But, if you're truly being "authentic," hope the menus are written in a language most the patrons won't be able read.

Chairman Yang

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I hate fake woke people getting mad at shit like this yet are completely silent on real problems like Puerto Rico and Yemen.
Indeed. As a non-white, I'm also kind of disturbed by how many posters want to, in essence, make it harder to spread my culture's food. Unless it's "authentic" enough, judged by random people on the internet.

JayC3

bork bork
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
This topic seems to have run its course. If more news or information about the restaurant comes out feel free to make a new thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.