• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Damaniel

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
My dad has started in on the 'THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE REAL RACISTS!' thing in the last day or two. I know that's kind of been a thing for a while, but I assume that right wing radio is starting to push it more as a talking point.

It makes it easy to keep up on what the latest right wing talking points are without actually having to see any right wing news - the sheep pretty much start regurgitating it the minute they hear it on AM radio or Fox.

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They switched political platforms after a certain time as I remember, those that did were always Republican though, even to this date

Last edited:

Hecht

Too damn tired
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
He gave a spectacularly bigoted speech on this very thing back in 2015 as well.

"Even while the Duke boys were being chased through Georgia, Obama appeared at an Iftar dinner; an event at which Muslims emulate Mohammed, who had more slaves than Robert E. Lee. There are no slaves in Arlington House today, but in the heartlands of Islam, from Saudi mansions to ISIS dungeons, there are still slaves, laboring, beaten, bought, sold, raped and disposed of in Mohammed's name.

"Slavery does not exist under the Confederate flag eagerly being pulled down. It does exist under the black and green flags of Islam rising over mosques in Iraq, Saudi Arabia and America today…"

Deleted member 4783

Oct 25, 2017
"BUT WE ARE NOT FASCIST, WE SWEAR"

The GOP

AstronaughtE

Nov 26, 2017
They switched political platforms after a certain time as I remember, those that did were always Republican though, even to this date
Plenty of Republicans (conveniently) believe that is a myth. Same with the southern strategy.

I guess deep down after Lincoln burnt their homes and killed their ancestors they all turned their act around, hated slavery all along, and believe that the federal government supersedes "states rights" lost cause.

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Plenty of Republicans (conveniently) believe that is a myth. Same with the southern strategy.

I guess deep down after Lincoln burnt their homes and killed their ancestors they all turned their act around, hated slavery all along, and believe that the federal government supersedes "states rights" lost cause.
Especially if you look at Republicans nowadays and you find that they used to be democrats

Hecht

Too damn tired
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017

I know when I want everyone to know how right I am, I tell people all about the most recent thing I did that was right...in 1862.

AstronaughtE

Nov 26, 2017
I know when I want everyone to know how right I am, I tell people all about the most recent thing I did that was right...in 1862.
A more modern one that has been getting hurled back is that Al Gore sr filibustering civil rights act '64. Failing to recognize that was Goldwater year and as the party was still in the process of flipping.

It's just frustrating we have to give history lessons while they can continue to take things at face value and have their cake and eat it too.

take_marsh

Oct 27, 2017
I'll be waiting for the Black Friend Bill next, in which the media cannot call a white politician racist unless they can definitely prove they do not have a friend who is a person of color.

SamAlbro

Oct 25, 2017
Call their bluff. Add an amendment that would also ban any group that currently supports Confederate iconography and ideology.

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
ban both parties. Vote on who has better values. There should have never been a party system in the first place. Remove teams from the language. Let people vote for who they want not what party they are a part of so they can "win"

Naphu

Apr 6, 2018
Watch out Gohmert, you trying to get your base to throw some votes to the Dems? Outrageous out of line stunts are just doing their job of yanking the overton window even further right.

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
This gets a solid "lol" from me
But if the dems change names I got no problem with it

Crayolan

Oct 25, 2017
Even ignoring that this is obviously not made in good faith, if all an organization has to do to circumvent the ban is change its name then what's the point lol.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Oh I bet he says nigger with an extra hard R behind closed doors

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
"you're the ones who support slavery"

while they drape themselves in confederate flags and fight to keep statues of confederate generals

yeah ok

geomon

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Except that's unconstitutional, which is why groups like the KKK still exist. See, I would expect a Senator to know about Freedom of Association being fundamental to Freedom of Speech but apparently, I'M FUCKING ASKING TOO MUCH FROM FUCKING REPUBLICANS!

Baccus

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
Could be a blessing in disguise. Democrats is a horrible name that doesn't inspire any passion in the ignorant masses of today.

Seneset

Oct 27, 2017
Limbus Patrum
But...the Republican Party also historically supported slavery, the KKK and/or the Confederacy - even when the party existed by other names or in earlier forms?
Correct. The GOP after all used to be called the Democratic-Republicans. If you go far enough back both parties are linked via splits and merges. As for the Dixiecrats he's talking about they all joined the GOP.

Oct 29, 2017
48b.jpg

Strong Island

May 11, 2020
Gohmert is a joke- he's on the list of the top 3 people that will instantly improve Congress when they are gone.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
I had to teach my mother about the Southern Strategy last week. Completely blew her mind with that, she couldn't believe there was a time where Democrats had the hillbilly south. She was born in '63 to a Republican family in New York, and so she literally grew up with the flip happening, and it just wooshed right over her head. Dad's of a similar background, most likely would react the same.

Sorry, just been on a "historical illiteracy" kick the last couple weeks, and how so much of this country literally does not know how we got here, and this just sorta felt appropriate tying into that.