• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ragolliangatan

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 31, 2019
I'd argue that Pelosi should refuse to have Gohmert seated in Congress on Jan 6th if he doesn't believe the current process is constitutional. He can go hang out with Trump instead.

zashga

Losing is fun
Oct 28, 2017
Starting to seem like the "republic not a democracy" crowd is actually opposed to democracy as a concept.

Skunk

Oct 28, 2017
Your daily reminder that one of America's two major political parties is crying, begging, and pleading to be allowed to execute a coup.

Not to be too cynical here, but:

That would suck, but this is worse; it's your daily reminder that one of America's two major political parties is crying, begging, and pleading to be allowed to execute a coup based on the deliberately false idea that the other party is already doing it. If this ideology continues to fester, the United States is uniquely positioned to possibly fall into fascism. The right is dangerously close to justifying to itself it needs to wrest control of the government away from the other side completely, and the fact that it's not only common Americans that believe it but actual Republican lawmakers and officials is a warning sign of the way things are going.

BriGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder at what point they're just going to sue the voters themselves for not voting for Trump in sufficient numbers.

SilkySm00th

Oct 31, 2017
This is all performative horse shit in their pathetic attempts to give trump one last tug so they can hopefully continue to take advantage of his base demographic.

I can't wait to see history look back at these fuckers with complete disdain. So pathetic.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
I always wondered who would be in denial longer.

My FB feed or republicans.

My money was on my FB feed but that turned around real quick. These old farts shouldn't have power.

For those unfamiliar with it, the relevant provision of the Twelfth Amendment is:

The President of the Senate shall, in the presence of the Senate and House of Representatives, open all the certificates and the votes shall then be counted;

This is the only mention of the Vice President in the context of the electoral process, and Gohmert and co. would have you believe that this bestows upon him the power to summarily throw out certified electoral votes and decide which votes count.

The funny thing is, arguably the Electoral Count Act is unconstitutional, but in a way that is the opposite to which the GOP wants in this case. The Electoral Count Act procedure claims for Congress the power to veto a state's electoral votes and to choose between conflicting slates, but the actual text of the Twelfth Amendment doesn't provide any particular basis for that power. Congress' only role, as specified in the actual text, is to count the votes that have been certified by the states.

The tantrum is insane, I saw a billboard in Atlanta today that literally said

PERDUE AND LOEFFLER DIDN'T DELIVER FOR TRUMP
SO DON'T DELIVER FOR THEM THIS RUNOFF

Lose the senate to own the libs and your own party?
That particular billboard is sponsored by a Democratic-aligned PAC.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Louie Gohmert is an absolute smooth-brain but even so im trying to wrap my head around the point of this

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
Lawtweep Akiva Cohen has a fun and easy to understand analysis of the suit and why it is dooooooomed to fail. He also calls them "treasonweasels" which I love.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
These judges who keep getting dragged into these things absolutely need to put their foot down against these lawyers. The lawsuits will never end unless done judges step up and threaten to disbar lawyers who are taking these cases for the paycheck.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
What's with USA and lawsuits? It's like some people think they are the end-all solutions to everything.
At this point someone had to try suing God or COVID itself there.

Deleted member 896

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is all performative horse shit in their pathetic attempts to give trump one last tug so they can hopefully continue to take advantage of his retarded base demographic.

I can't wait to see history look back at these fuckers with complete disdain. So pathetic.

The main thing that consumes my curiosity is that it's just not really clear what the end game is. Like... I sort of get that it's impossible to unring this particular bell that they have rung so Trump and his allies have to just keep throwing out nonsense that looks like they're fighting to correct the injustice of the stolen election. Like... one thing Trump has going for him is that his base thinks he can do no wrong and even though he's losing miserably in these fights to overturn the election he's got fans that think he's winning. And I know idiots like Gohmert are desperate to be a part of this team and ride Trump's coattails.

But also, January 20th is going to get here soon enough and Biden will be president. Sure, some diehards will stick around and six months from now there'll be some new crackpot theory about how SCOTUS can throw out the election and name Trump the winner retroactively or something, but I feel like there's going to be some slow rise in people that being to question whether Trump is the messiah they built him up as. After all, the thing he billed himself as is that he was the one man who could vanquish the deep state and drain the swamp. When he is ultimately forced out of office, I feel like there's got to be at least some reckoning with the fact that while he'll still claim that he won in a landslide if not for all the cheating, it still falls on him that he couldn't prove that or at the very least use his presidential authority to nullify the results. For us mere mortals the idea of "you can't fight city hall" is pretty normal and relatable. But Donald John Trump is a man who has never lost a fight in his life. How can he just retreat to Mar-a-Lago and tweet (or Parler) out his latest impotent schemes to get back in power?

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's all about showing Trumps base that the GOP are doing something about the election fraud.
But it seems to me that all of these "viable paths" would ultimately lead to disillusionment with the GOP when nothing comes to fruition again and again. And there seems to be indication that this is already happening.

Daphne

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
While it's all jokes, I fear not calling these moves out for what they are; treason and anti-democracy, by media sources will come back and bite us hard in a few years as the GOP realizes that there might be more concrete avenues towards fascism they can take besides gerrymandering and voter disenfranchisement.
Agreed. There needs to be consequences for openly attempting to destroy democracy, regardless of how ridiculous the attempts are. These people are traitors; they should be discussed as such.

They are not going to stop trying.

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
As ridiculous as this sounds, if just ONE of these stupid attempts works, it's all over.

No, not really. If there is a judge out there that is a Qanon moron and rules in favor of the GOP on any of these, it would be appealed. The only worry was that the Supreme Court would go along with this nonsense, and once they demonstrated that they would not, there was no longer any reason to worry.

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
While it's all jokes, I fear not calling these moves out for what they are; treason and anti-democracy, by media sources will come back and bite us hard in a few years as the GOP realizes that there might be more concrete avenues towards fascism they can take besides gerrymandering and voter disenfranchisement.

Correct. It's not just that they're not being labeled correctly. The more important factor is that none of the individuals, nor the party as a whole, are going to face any consequences whatsoever for all of this. Quite the opposite: their voters applaud these efforts and demand more. They will now add these tools to their permanent playbook: never concede an election, and challenge everything in court as many times as possible.

What's more: the GOP has been wildly successful in recent years in blocking Democrat judicial appointments, and fast-tracking Republican ones. They've now accomplished a decades-long goal: a significantly conservative judiciary. Now that's been proven not good enough. Their new goal will be a flatly biased judiciary that will act as an arm of the GOP.

Android

Oct 28, 2017
Vancouver
I think it's pretty obvious there are two Republican parties now. The insane Trumpers and the old party line who are too chicken shit to stand up to them. Mind boggling but let them fight gif.

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
I think it's pretty obvious there are two Republican parties now. The insane Trumpers and the old party line who are too chicken shit to stand up to them. Mind boggling but let them fight gif.

This is what I'm seeing too. Trumpers view the "old" Republican party as no better than Democrats. They are completely against establishment Republicans. They either want to purge the party of the old guard or create something new. They are Trumpers beyond anything else.

Beignet

alt account
Banned
Aug 1, 2020
Wait... what? Were Dems this petty when Trump won? By that I mean, filing lots of lawsuits, refusing to concede and all that shit?
Nope. Hillary Clinton lost despite winning the popular vote yet still gave a concession speech almost immediately after. Obama had a meeting with him before inauguration to show him the ropes and give him some advice on his upcoming job. The transition started immediately after the election.

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017

If only they were actually fighting. They're not. Half the party acting crazy, and the other half calmly watching, does not constitute a fight.

We've had one retiring GOP representative leave the party. There have barely even been any "concerned" old school Republicans. Except those "concerned" that Biden stole the election, of course.

There's no indication that this is hurting the GOP. Bickering doesn't mean shit unless it affects voting.

The thinking used to be "it's good if a Republican gets primaried, because if the crazy one wins, they'll be too extreme to win the general". This has been proven to be utterly false, in most cases.

This is just going to result in the GOP becoming even more of an extreme far-right party, and I don't see any good coming from it.

WarMacheen

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I think the next step is for them to sue all 80+ million people that didn't vote for captain shithead. It should be fast tracked straight to the SCOTUS and televised.

Malleymal

Oct 28, 2017
I don't get how people don't straight up curse these people out in the chambers. Like seriously laugh in these peoples faces in public and call them the dumbfucks that they are. I want straight up disrespect towards these people

Android

Oct 28, 2017
Vancouver
If only they were actually fighting. They're not. Half the party acting crazy, and the other half calmly watching, does not constitute a fight.

We've had one retiring GOP representative leave the party. There have barely even been any "concerned" old school Republicans. Except those "concerned" that Biden stole the election, of course.

There's no indication that this is hurting the GOP. Bickering doesn't mean shit unless it affects voting.

The thinking used to be "it's good if a Republican gets primaried, because if the crazy one wins, they'll be too extreme to win the general". This has been proven to be utterly false, in most cases.

This is just going to result in the GOP becoming even more of an extreme far-right party, and I don't see any good coming from it.
Ya...i think the fight is coming. If the Democrats lose the Georgia runoffs, I can't see the old guard like Cruz and McConnell continuing to be silent. They'll see a cult lead by a man who no longer has any actual power taking their power away and harming their base.

JLP101

Oct 25, 2017
I don't get how people don't straight up curse these people out in the chambers. Like seriously laugh in these peoples faces in public and call them the dumbfucks that they are. I want straight up disrespect towards these people

Because they know full well that all this is bullshit. This is political grandstanding at its finest.

Oct 27, 2017
As ridiculous as this sounds, if just ONE of these stupid attempts works, it's all over.
No it's not. Republicans cannot get any relief from the courts at this point that can overrule the inherently granted powers the House of Reps has on having the last word on confirming the electoral votes and invoking a legal transition of power from Trump to a Democrat (either Biden as elected or Speaker of the House Pelosi as the nuclear option backup). Pelosi can overrule any decision even from the Supreme Court, as this is an inherent power granted by the Constitution that is irrevocable (I.e., separation of powers and Speaker of the House always has the last say in any POTUS transition of power dispute at this stage of counting electoral college votes).