• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
It's the same thing. Surpressing a vote = making it not count or making it too hard to cast
The kind of suppression that motivates people is trying to keep people from voting. People want to do what others say they can't do. This is throwing out the votes of people that already voted. This sends the message that putting in the effort is pointless cuz it won't matter anyway.

captmcblack

Oct 25, 2017
People work so fucking hard to:

- stop people from voting
- dismiss, destroy or discount people's vote

It's incredible. It's comedy to think how anyone for any reason could ever suggest it didn't matter given the lengths people will go to stop you, jfc.

I hope this doesn't happen. The cheating is simply too powerful right now.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
What the fuck difference does it make if I'm in a vehicle or on my own two feet when dropping off a ballot?

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Texas Supreme Court is made up of Republicans though.
They've already ruled multiple times this election cycle that ballot pickup boxes are fine and Roberts' SCOTUS is very hesitant to take up state election matters and when they do have consistently let the states decide, for better or for worse. There is zero reason to be concerned about this actually resulting in ballots being tossed out.

Griselbrand

Oct 26, 2017
Can you explain what it was like

I got there right as the polls opened and there was already a line of people. You drive up in a line and there's a person that will direct you to a numbered tent. You then drive into that tent where the volunteer will ask for your ID and scan it, then when you're ready they will hand you a big handheld device where you can fill out your ballot electronically. Hand that back and drive off. It took no more than 30 minutes. I went to the HCC location on the west loop.

SwitchedOff

Oct 28, 2017
They've already ruled multiple times this election cycle that ballot pickup boxes are fine and Roberts' SCOTUS is very hesitant to take up state election matters and when they do have consistently let the states decide, for better or for worse. There is zero reason to be concerned about this actually resulting in ballots being tossed out.

I hope that you are right.

Nola

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
They have already decided to overrule that 100 year precedent of deferring to state courts on matters of election/voter matters. The question is simply when and where will they choose to apply it next.

www.vox.com

The radical implications of the Supreme Court’s new ruling on Wisconsin mail-in ballots

The Supreme Court’s new decision on Wisconsin mail-in ballots threatens a century of voting rights law.

Damaniel

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR

I'm also pretty sure SCOTUS doesn't want to tackle this - choosing to make a ruling against perfectly valid voting methods in a scenario where Biden wins on the shoulders of states where shenanigans aren't occurring essentially guarantees support (both congressionally and popularly) for court packing. You can't enact your theocratic agenda if your opportunity is taken away from you due to horrible decisions made that don't actually end up affecting election outcomes.

Well - except this, I guess. Perhaps their plan is to see how the election shapes up - if it's a blowout, leave it be, but if it's close and they feel their decision can make things break to Trump, then make a ruling.

Last edited:

Nobility

Oct 25, 2017
All this tells me is the GOP is terrified they actually lost Texas.

Thinking this one won't pass muster either, I don't know if there is any power to push to SCOTUS but I can't see them changing their mind now.

GOP doesn't know how to listen to the people at all, first option is always to suppress.

Tagg

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What can their justification possibly be for this?! Like I can't even think of a plausible excuse for them to run with.

Deleted member 5876

Big Seller
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So before Barrett was on the S.C. in the Wisconsin case their ruling was basically they defer to the legislature of the state.

So what does Texas legislature say about drive thru ballots?

TitlePending

The Fallen
Dec 26, 2018
I can't believe this is the only other "legitimate" alternative to the Democrats, and a sizeable portion of the US population supports them.

UltimateHigh

Oct 25, 2017
we need to make voting as easy as it fucking gets and we need to make it permanent.

The next dem trifecta needs to look into that.

JustinBailey

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I got there right as the polls opened and there was already a line of people. You drive up in a line and there's a person that will direct you to a numbered tent. You then drive into that tent where the volunteer will ask for your ID and scan it, then when you're ready they will hand you a big handheld device where you can fill out your ballot electronically. Hand that back and drive off. It took no more than 30 minutes. I went to the HCC location on the west loop.
Thx. This is helpful as a backdrop to this thread. This sounds legit.

lostconst

Oct 27, 2017
I've seen a lot of suppression, but never a request to literally throw out votes.

christ, they're scared shitless.

Nola

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I've seen a lot of suppression, but never a request to literally throw out votes.

christ, they're scared shitless.
I mean, that's basically how George W. Bush became president....

www.orlandosentinel.com

NOW DEMOCRATS ARE UPSET WITH THE WAY LAKE COUNTED

A decision to ignore thousands of presidential ballots cast in Lake County has Democrats crying foul — and wondering what to do next. “That’s insane,” Bob Poe, the chairman …
And The Supreme Court upheld those and other stoppages(on a strict partisan basis) that very likely would have made up the 984 vote difference Bush had after those ballots were thrown out Without good cause.

Last edited:

Plutone

Oct 25, 2017
I also voted using the drive-thru station. The poll workers were all masked up, the booth had plenty of ventilation and the ballot machine they handed us had an identical interface to the indoors machines. The whole process was convenient and safe, and it took me less than fifteen mins.

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
Texas SC upheld the absurd 'one ballot box per county' bullshit.

Even though there are counties with over 5 million people. It's not a slam dunk that this will be overturned.
But they just turned down another case on this exact subject last week. I'm as pessimistic as anyone, but this strikes me as a kid re-asking an extremely dumb question to their parents with slightly different wording after they said no the first time.

pechorin

Banned
Apr 13, 2020
The point isn't to successfully render them invalid but to delay things until November 3rd, and then declare everything after that day as fraudulent. Just watch.

Danby

One Winged Slayer
Oct 7, 2020
Throwing out ballots after they're legally cast is sickeningly evil stuff.

Damaniel

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
I also voted using the drive-thru station. The poll workers were all masked up, the booth had plenty of ventilation and the ballot machine they handed us had an identical interface to the indoors machines. The whole process was convenient and safe, and it took me less than fifteen mins.

And that's the problem - Republicans hate it when voting is safe and easy. They only want the right people voting, and letting just anyone vote takes away from that.

We need very strong federal laws that make it *very* illegal to try and disenfranchise people. I don't care who you vote for (much), but everyone should have a right to have their vote count - period.

Nola

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

What did I say!

People really need to be taking this ruling seriously!!

www.vox.com

The radical implications of the Supreme Court’s new ruling on Wisconsin mail-in ballots

The Supreme Court’s new decision on Wisconsin mail-in ballots threatens a century of voting rights law.

They got away with it in 2000 and some of you people are so naive to think it can't happen again and that the same legitimizing and smoothing over that happened than by the media cant happen again. When we already saw in Georgia that the media and people in general are very much capable of letting illiberalism slide and then legitimizing it's outcomes.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
They have already decided to overrule that 100 year precedent of deferring to state courts on matters of election/voter matters. The question is simply when and where will they choose to apply it next.

www.vox.com

There is a key difference that demonstrates these cases aren't quite the same. In the WI case they were looking to extend something that was previously not part of the election's rules, while in the Texas case they are looking to remove something that was already clearly set as normal election procedures from the beginning. So I wouldn't expect them to take up this case, but considering the conservatives are mostly partisan hacks now, perhaps there's still a slim chance they would, but that's the kind of weird edge case that we will never be able to effectively predict and quantify

Plutone

Oct 25, 2017
And that's the problem - Republicans hate it when voting is safe and easy. They only want the right people voting, and letting just anyone vote takes away from that.

We need very strong federal laws that make it *very* illegal to try and disenfranchise people. I don't care who you vote for (much), but everyone should have a right to have their vote count - period.

100% agreed

TeaberryShark

Feb 8, 2019
so wait a second, let me see if I'm understanding this, originally the Texas gop sued to halt drive thru voting, the Texas supreme court (made up entirely of gop goons) said no, its allowed. Now the Texas gop is suing to destroy all of those drive through votes, and the Texas gop supreme court is likely to say "ok, destroy them".

Basically, this was a set up from the beginning, allow the voting, then destroy the votes so the voters can vote a different way?

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
You mean we aren't a bunch of chicken littles and these fucks are out to steal the election?

pretendtobeshocked

I hope someone is keeping tabs on these criminals.

-Le Monde-

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
What the fuck difference does it make if I'm in a vehicle or on my own two feet when dropping off a ballot?
It was too easy to vote. It needs to be hard/s

Republicans are garbage, I hope there isn't a last minute decision, and those voters don't get screwed over.

This is precisely why we should never take elections for granted.

refusi0n1

Oct 27, 2017
and theres 6 days still left for shenanigans, weeks if they try to fuck shit up after the election