• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Here's the thing: All of the evidence points to Republicans being in favor of fascism. But I struggle to believe that's the case because, well, fascism is awful. Like, both my parents are staunch conservatives but fascism seems like a step too far for me. Seems like. That's why I'm wondering how cognizant Republicans are of what they are fighting for and against. It's one thing to be cheering for your own party, but how many can take a step back and realize they are in support of fascism?

Yes, I imagine there are certain Republicans who, whether they name it fascism or not, are consciously in favor of those beliefs. But the majority? I have no idea. It could be 90% are openly fascist, or it could be 9%. I'd believe anything.
Refusing to believe uncomfortable truths because they're uncomfortable is an easy way to roadblock solutions from being implemented. A fascist does not need conscious declaration to be a fascist or spout fascist ideals (a convenient cover for a group of people who thrive on coded language), and every fascist is someone's relative. Evil is not special; instead it is banal and considerably easy to perform.

The American Republican Party at this moment in time is fascist, and anyone who wholeheartedly describes themselves as being aligned with them is at least subconsciously okay with fascism in the pursuit of their ends. Instead of hemming and hawwing atbthe characterization because fascism is obviously bad, or because a relative of ours is down the rabbit hole, we need to call Republicans for what they are.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
So can these people vote in-person for fear of their ballots being thrown out? Or will they be thrown in jail for voter fraud?

Oct 25, 2017
If they tossed the remedy would be to contact those 100k and tell them to vote.on Tuesday in person at proper polling places.

I think they'll not toss and shut down drive through for Tuesday. The judge is very bad on this one. Audible groans across the area when the assignment was revealed to be him.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
If they tossed the remedy would be to contact those 100k and tell them to vote.on Tuesday in person at proper polling places.

I think they'll not toss and shut down drive through for Tuesday. The judge is very bad on this one. Audible groans across the area when the assignment was revealed to be him.
That would be such a failure of the American system. That's an impossible "remedy" to meet.

mAcOdIn

Oct 27, 2017
I think there may be a disconnect between a low information Republican and a high information Republican on this. My dad, for example, knows his party(the GOP) is in the minority population wise and that without the Electoral College and voter suppression his party is done. Real talk, I don't know what the Democratic and Republican Parties would look like without the electoral college but I imagine that neither would be the same, not that there the same every cycle regardless but you get the idea. So knowing this my father belies that, no, everyone shouldn't get to vote, he believes in poll taxes, discrimination, that States should choose their Senators again, only land owners should vote, he's reverted back to worshiping the old way we did things in the country. Whatever it takes for his party to win.

I imagine someone who's not exactly as well informed may think "of course everyone's vote should count" thinking that that wouldn't hurt their party too much because they don't realize that nationally that'd kill their party so they haven't had to wrestle with that question because they don't realize they need to.

leder

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like the parties need to come together and agree to compromise and only throw out 50,000 votes.

OP
OP
ClickyCal'

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
He's the President, the Senate is in his back pocket, and SCOTUS will basically go in his favor every time. So, yeah, he kinda does.
The SC isn't handing him the election. It would literally have to come down to a Florida 2000 scenario again, which has under a half percent chance of happening. Senate has no bearing of the election.

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
looking up Judge Hanen, that man would absolutely throw out 100,000 ballots if he felt like it

wiki:
During sentencing of a convicted child smuggler in December 2013, Hanen sharply criticized the United States Department of Homeland Security in an opinion that "veered far from the matter at hand" and "that quickly won rave reviews on right-wing news sites." Not only did he criticize the policy of reuniting children with their immigrant mothers, he further rebuked the Department for not prosecuting this child's mother. Hanen wrote, "DHS should cease telling the citizens of the United States that it is enforcing our border security laws because it is not. Even worse, it is helping those who violate these laws." In February 2015, Hanen granted the State of Texas's motion for a nationwide preliminary injunction barring President Barack Obama from carrying out the Deferred Action for Parents of Americans (DAPA) program. In United States v. Texas, that ruling was affirmed by an equally divided Supreme Court of the United States on June 23, 2016 (with an eight-member bench due to the death of Justice Antonin Scalia).

Hanson made national news for related assertions and sanctions which were later withdrawn by the Fifth Cicruit. On May 19, 2016, while the case was awaiting decision at the Supreme Court, Hanen demanded that some 3,000 Department of Justice lawyers in 26 states take ethics classes, and ordered other sanctions for those who argued Texas v. United States, involving President Obama's immigration executive actions. Hanen did not explain why he extended his sanctions to attorneys who had no involvement in the case. Hanen accused Justice Department's lawyers of lying to him during arguments in the case, and barred them from appearing in his courtroom. He accused the department of "a calculated plan of unethical conduct". Hanen further ordered Attorney General Loretta Lynch to appoint someone within the department to ensure compliance with his order.

Hanen also purported to order U.S. immigration officials to turn over, within weeks, the names and addresses of 50,000 people who received deferral under the expanded deferred-action initiative. The National Immigration Law Center, the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) Immigrants' Rights Project, and the ACLU of Texas petitioned the United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit to vacate the order or postpone the deadline. Separately, the Justice Department argued in a filing in the district court than Hanen's ordered sanctions "exceed the scope of [the court's] authority and unjustifiably impose irreparable injury on the Department of Justice, the Department of Homeland Security and thousands of innocent third parties." The Justice Department also argued that additional ethics courses could cost up to $7.8 million over five years.
strap in for some bullshit

Gigglepoo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Refusing to believe uncomfortable truths because they're uncomfortable is an easy way to roadblock solutions from being implemented. A fascist does not need conscious declaration to be a fascist or spout fascist ideals (a convenient cover for a group of people who thrive on coded language), and every fascist is someone's relative. Evil is not special; instead it is banal and considerably easy to perform.

The American Republican Party at this moment in time is fascist, and anyone who wholeheartedly describes themselves as being aligned with them is at least subconsciously okay with fascism in the pursuit of their ends. Instead of hemming and hawwing atbthe characterization because fascism is obviously bad, or because a relative of ours is down the rabbit hole, we need to call Republicans for what they are.

My question was if most Republicans are in favor of circumventing democracy to get what they want, not if they actually think "I'm a fascist!"

Like, if you say down a Republican and explained what they were supporting, would they balk or hold fast? Are they true believers, ignorant, or indifferent?

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
My question was if most Republicans are in favor of circumventing democracy to get what they want, not if they actually think "I'm a fascist!"

Like, if you say down a Republican and explained what they were supporting, would they balk or hold fast? Are they true believers, ignorant, or indifferent?
Of course most are in favor of it. I maintain Innuendo Studios' conclusion that conservatives are drawn more to rigid hierarchies than equalitarian democracies just as a general philosophical preference, and thus don't really hold the same regard for democratic systems and the role of law that left-leaning folks do. Thus, conservatives will happily rationalize any hit to democracy to maintain power, because that's all they value, whether it's because they legitimately believe that non-conservatives are trying to destroy America and they want to do whatever it takes to stop us, or whether or not they desperately want to fulfill their race war LARPing and want to kill up a bunch of minorities because it gets them off or whatever. Whether or not they legitimately believe they are the last bastions of the American regime really doesn't matter. Ultimately, democracy is just a means to an end that can be happily discarded if it isn't working out for them.

Deleted member 83122

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 15, 2020
Of course most are in favor of it. I maintain Innuendo Studios' conclusion that conservatives are drawn more to rigid hierarchies than equalitarian democracies just as a general philosophical preference, and thus don't really hold the same regard for democratic systems and the role of law that left-leaning folks do. Thus, conservatives will happily rationalize any hit to democracy to maintain power, because that's all they value, whether it's because they legitimately believe that non-conservatives are trying to destroy America and they want to do whatever it takes to stop us, or whether or not they desperately want to fulfill their race war LARPing and want to kill up a bunch of minorities because it gets them off or whatever. Whether or not they legitimately believe they are the last bastions of the American regime really doesn't matter. Ultimately, democracy is just a means to an end that can be happily discarded if it isn't working out for them.
Good take, but I would add the never-ending fight to protect unborn babies. Those little things could be forever indebted to the system, so they represent profit. Add to that the delusion that these sycophants are trading their own salvation to save an innocent and that grants them full moral autonomy and it becomes one of the most egregious offenses to humankind. Blue. MF. Wave.

Edit: Invalidation of ballots or votes is no joking matter and ties into our fight against injustice. Please vote safe.

Last edited:

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
Sigh, worried to hell about this

im not. even in the off case these votes get tossed, Trump is look at a deficit of well over a million votes in urban counties based on Wasserman's projections and current early voting data. Hillary lost by 800k and she won all urban counties with 541k.

Daphne

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
They seem to have chosen the exact piece of crap who would throw out 100k votes. Apparently Judge Hanen is so notoriously bad, Republicans come to rural Texas from all over the country to get him for federal rulings.

Divisional Judge-Shopping.

In the final years of Barack Obama's presidency, major administration initiatives on immigration, transgender rights, and employee pay met their end at the hands of federal judges in the far reaches of Texas. In the three cases challenging the administration's actions, lawyers for the state of Texas-the lead plaintiff-trekked hundreds of miles from the state capital in Austin to seek nationwide injunctions in the towns of Brownsville, Sherman, and Wichita Falls.The three venues had one important thing in common. Thanks to court-created judge-assignment rules, Texas was able to gain significantly more control over the judges selected to hear the cases by filing in smaller courthouses instead of in major cities like Houston,Dallas, or San Antonio.

The first and main example the paper uses is Judge Hanen.

Deleted member 70788

Jun 2, 2020
looking up Judge Hanen, that man would absolutely throw out 100,000 ballots if he felt like it

wiki:

strap in for some bullshit

Y'all don't trust this guy?

Judge-Andrew-Hanen-via-YT.jpg

I don't see why not?!

steejee

Oct 28, 2017
I guess this was a bridge too far for even this guy, which goes to show how absurd their case is.