• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Schlorgan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Salt Lake City, Utah
amp.cnn.com

GOP begins new push against Biden's relief plan as Republican leaders expect no defections in the ranks

Republican leaders in both chambers are maneuvering to keep all of their members in line against the $1.9 trillion Covid-19 relief plan, a move that would deny President Joe Biden a bipartisan victory and one that could scuttle the bill in the Senate if any Democrat breaks ranks.

Republican leaders in both chambers are maneuvering to keep all of their members in line against the $1.9 trillion Covid-19 relief plan, a move that would deny President Joe Biden a bipartisan victory and one that could scuttle the bill in the Senate if any Democrat breaks ranks.

But the move amounts to a political risk for Republicans with polls showing clear majorities of Americans supporting an emergency rescue package and with the economy still reeling from the coronavirus pandemic.

The plan:
So Republicans now plan to begin an urgent public relations push to argue that the bill is bloated, poorly targeted and contains a hodgepodge of measures aimed at pleasing the Democratic base

Good luck with that, guys. You really are out of ideas, huh.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
amp.cnn.com

GOP begins new push against Biden's relief plan as Republican leaders expect no defections in the ranks

The plan:

I wonder if they cant read the room. There are more democrats as a base than they have.

BriGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
amp.cnn.com

The plan:

That's all they need to say and repeat until half the country believes it. It wouldn't be the first time conservatives are duped into voting against their own self interests. I mean, it's practically their brand.

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
people want their 1400 dollars and they will get pissed at anybody standing in the way.

Remmy2112

Nov 5, 2017
A lot of these same Republicans were also working on adding things to the bill during the marking up process to benefit their districts and constituents, but they'll still vote against it in public knowing full well it'll pass and they'll still reap the benefits.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I am expecting a lot of stuff like "A household that makes $100,000 is going to get a huge check -- why do they deserve that?"

OP
OP
Schlorgan

Schlorgan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Salt Lake City, Utah
That's all they need to say and repeat until half the country believes it. It wouldn't be the first time conservatives are duped into voting against their own self interests. I mean, it's practically their brand.
Stimulus checks are extremely popular, even among the Republican base.

When Manchin hinted that he wouldn't support it, his mostly Republican constituents nearly revolted, causing him to walk it back.

Username1198

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Space, Man
I wish I had the power to outlaw the gop. They are fucking selfish criminals, every single one. Fuck them and those that vote for them. I wish them the worst in life.

At this point, they are nothing but anti-American white supremacist assholes that suck orange taint.

Isilia

Mar 11, 2019
US: PA
If it comes down to it, Manchin will vote with the party. He always does. He just puts on a show for his mostly Republican state first.

Yeah, I'm hoping he continues to vote on the left side of the fence in the end as he usually does. I just get a bit more anxiety since there are so many people who need help.

TheGummyBear

Jan 6, 2018
United Kingdom
OP: Haha! They'll just blame democrats for why things suck! Aren't the republicans morons?
The past four years of Republicans blaming Democrats for everything that sucks, even when they had full control: And I took that personally.

OP
OP
Schlorgan

Schlorgan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Salt Lake City, Utah
I think this is more so that they can spin the much needed help passed by Democrats as something bad, and they would've done a much better job (without putting forward a proposal of course)
Doing that with something as popular among their base as stimulus checks is not the smartest move, since most of the base really doesn't give a shit about what's in the rest of the bill as long as they're getting money.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if they cant read the room. There are more democrats as a base than they have.
They're reading the room. They know that if they get even one pub to vote for the bill that it'd just help the dem's image.

'Sides the GOP's only legislative trick has only ever been to say no, can't go learning new ways to do things.

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
it will work too.

CNN is going to interrogate dems on why they don't just compromise with the nazis, like they did last time.

People here will even post about how shitty pelosi is.

Watch.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC

They just repeat a lie until it wears people down and they forget specifics about things and then the lie may as well be the reality. The mood in the room has little effect on what they do if elections are far enough away. People got too much shit going on in their lives to be able to take stock of everything and they know this.

DekuBleep

Oct 25, 2017
Well the GOP convinced working class largely white rural voters that Obamacare was not in their interests so don't underestimate the GOPs ability to convince voters to vote against their economic interests.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
Well the GOP convinced working class largely white rural voters that Obamacare was not in their interests so don't underestimate the GOPs ability to convince voters to vote against their economic interests.

Yeah, I was going to say, how exactly is this going to backfire? Republicans will eat it up when they're told this is because of Democrats. Republicans are suddenly going to think critically about whether their parties policies benefit them or not? Somehow I doubt it.

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
Motherfuckers spent a year plus desperately trying to pretend the virus was all but a fairy tale but now suddenly they're interested in talking about policies & what a government effort should and should not have.

hurlex

Oct 25, 2017
A lot of these same Republicans were also working on adding things to the bill during the marking up process to benefit their districts and constituents, but they'll still vote against it in public knowing full well it'll pass and they'll still reap the benefits.

Why would Dems allow those?

theLusitanian

Nov 3, 2017
The is the type of shit that makes me think the GOP will finally die off, but they are still voted in on other semi random bullshit. Imagine thinking a person's time and labor is worth poverty and a shitty life.

MetalKhaos

Oct 31, 2017
I think this is more so that they can spin the much needed help passed by Democrats as something bad, and they would've done a much better job (without putting forward a proposal of course)

They dragged their feet in the Senate the entire time. House Dems propose what, 3 Trillion plan? Republicans counter with 1 Trillion. Dems say they'll come meet in the middle around 2 Trillion, Senate returns with an $800 million offer. They didn't even pass anything if I'm recalling correctly. The House meanwhile passed stuff back in Spring, waiting for the Senate to do something. They don't give a shit, they just want to to be the party of obstructionists while screaming that it's the other side.

Bigger example is the ACA. They FINALLY get into power where they can put in play their grand plan, and had nothing. They couldn't repeal the ACA nor did they ever actually have a plan to do anything better. I always loved that Obama called their bluff on this, and told them he welcomes them to create something better, because Obama actually seems to give a damn about the country.

jtar86

Nov 5, 2017
When is the next stimulus supposed to be done. Kind of weird it's been radio silence since the first of February. I thought they were supposed to be done by the end of this week?

maxxpower

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
When is the next stimulus supposed to be done. Kind of weird it's been radio silence since the first of February. I thought they were supposed to be done by the end of this week?
There most likely won't be another stimulus after this one, and they're still dragging their feet on this one.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
You know how much of a shitbird you have to be to try to shuttle this bill?

Autumn

Avenger
Apr 1, 2018
I had a few people tell me they don't expect anything. At least CA is planning their own stimulus.