• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Zetta

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I've been wanting to move to firefox and now the time has come for such a move.

Soph

Oct 25, 2017
What is a good alternative to Gmail on mobile? I've been looking at moving away from Gmail since they made the idiotic decision to close Inbox, but I can't find much that doesn't just use a Gmail address in a 3rd party app. All I could really find as an alternative is either Outlook (which seems to have ads in the mobile app like Gmail, so that's a nonstarter) or paid hosted email. I'm not opposed to paying for hosted email if that really is the best alternative.

Paid hosted email is your best bet, there's services like Kolab Now which imitates the whole software suit of google, but keeps your email private. They are a Swiss based company. There's Fastmail which offers a free 30 day trial which is a fast growing paid alternative to gmail, you won't be able to make your own host though.

I myself ended up with Protonmail which has even stricter security, there's a free version of the mail client available for everyone. If you really want to use it to its fullest you'll have to pay as well. What I did was make a "company" with my family and get the |"visionary" Protonmail setup. I pay about 25 euro's each year along with seven family members for a great working email client, own host, server and one of the better VPN's all at once. It has a great supporting app for android at least, the apple version seems to get good reviews as well.

Golden

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 9, 2018
Good thing i prefer Firefox.

Anything from Google is ethically comprised, the sooner people realize that the better.

Oct 25, 2017
f client benefits, this obviously more tangential to reining in adblocking efforts. a definite conflict of interest when google itself owns an advertising platform. is client performance still considered a major issue?

Well yes. In a company as large as Google different teams have different independent priorities and probably do not directly talk to other teams. Same reason why Chrome devrel will tell you to make your site work in all browsers and yet plenty of Google sites are Chrome only. Some teams have engineers that want good fast products and that's their primary concern, or maybe they are a rep for a standardization committee and want the best API, it just happens that Google also sells ads. This happens all the time with the big tech companies, they do everything so every time something is killed or removed it's always possible to assume other intents. Android does this a lot when they fight fragmentation or add new security features they wind up killing various apps, sometimes ones will novel uses of features. Sometimes on a product level they do intend to make certain power grabs, but at least here this was known they did not like the design of the API for years. The effect can still be real all the same though. I liken it to a giant that accidentally squishes people because they are too big to see them.

That's not entirely correct - the WebExtensions specification matches Chrome's v2, but it differs in key ways and is not a direct 1:1 port of Google code. They are developing WebExtensions independently of Chrome - including quite a few of their own APIs - and as such, it won't have a direct effect on anything in Firefox. Parity was an ideal, but not a requirement. Unless I've somehow missed a post where UBO developer gorhill has stated that this v3 change would also affect his Firefox extensions?

WebExtensions is a proposed W3C standard and covers manifest v2. If Chrome drops WebRequest in v3 as the primary implementer that part would be DOA. Firefox will try to adhere to the standard and no standard will exist if one of the larger browsers refuses to implement without consensus of others. Edge is going all Chromium so they're out, as it Opera and all the other low-share browsers. So it would just be Safari and they've deprecated their WebExtensions implementation for their own custom thing.

Tunesmith

Fraud & Player Security
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I've got a raspberry pi2b lying around somewhere, I'm assuming that's good enough to use?

If so any guides? It was only yesterday I heard of this pi hole thing.

Alternatively, if you don't have a raspberry pi. You can set up PI Hole to run on Google's Cloud Engine service (always fun to use Google to combat ads). They have a free tier that should suffice, otherwise there's a monthly bandwidth fee. (US-only)

https://www.hndeati.com/2017/04/install-pi-hole-on-google-cloud.html

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a uBlock user. If it breaks them, I will switch to Firefox wholesale. I'm currently using three different browsers, with Vivaldi and Opera being the other two to Firefox. I wonder if Opera and Vivaldi will modify this? Can they?

Dick Justice

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm a uBlock user. If it breaks them, I will switch to Firefox wholesale. I'm currently using three different browsers, with Vivaldi and Opera being the other two to Firefox. I wonder if Opera and Vivaldi will modify this? Can they?
Last time I used Opera, it had its own built-in adblocker. Curious about what happens there.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
Well yes. In a company as large as Google different teams have different independent priorities and probably do not directly talk to other teams. Same reason why Chrome devrel will tell you to make your site work in all browsers and yet plenty of Google sites are Chrome only. Some teams have engineers that want good fast products and that's their primary concern, or maybe they are a rep for a standardization committee and want the best API, it just happens that Google also sells ads. This happens all the time with the big tech companies, they do everything so every time something is killed or removed it's always possible to assume other intents. Android does this a lot when they fight fragmentation or add new security features they wind up killing various apps, sometimes ones will novel uses of features. Sometimes on a product level they do intend to make certain power grabs, but at least here this was known they did not like the design of the API for years. The effect can still be real all the same though. I liken it to a giant that accidentally squishes people because they are too big to see them.

WebExtensions is a proposed W3C standard and covers manifest v2. If Chrome drops WebRequest in v3 as the primary implementer that part would be DOA. Firefox will try to adhere to the standard and no standard will exist if one of the larger browsers refuses to implement without consensus of others. Edge is going all Chromium so they're out, as it Opera and all the other low-share browsers. So it would just be Safari and they've deprecated their WebExtensions implementation for their own custom thing.

anywhere i can read up on the security issues with this particular api functionality? thanks for the insight btw, very interesting

Deleted member 888

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Alternatively, if you don't have a raspberry pi. You can set up PI Hole to run on Google's Cloud Engine service (always fun to use Google to combat ads). They have a free tier that should suffice, otherwise there's a monthly bandwidth fee. (US-only)

https://www.hndeati.com/2017/04/install-pi-hole-on-google-cloud.html

lol this is funny. I've got a Raspberry pi2.

I'm looking at this too as I use Adguard right now and its served me well - https://github.com/AdguardTeam/AdGuardHome/wiki/Raspberry-Pi

Seems its interface might be a bit more user-friendly.

PaulLFC

Oct 27, 2017
Paid hosted email is your best bet, there's services like Kolab Now which imitates the whole software suit of google, but keeps your email private. They are a Swiss based company. There's Fastmail which offers a free 30 day trial which is a fast growing paid alternative to gmail, you won't be able to make your own host though.

I myself ended up with Protonmail which has even stricter security, there's a free version of the mail client available for everyone. If you really want to use it to its fullest you'll have to pay as well. What I did was make a "company" with my family and get the |"visionary" Protonmail setup. I pay about 25 euro's each year along with seven family members for a great working email client, own host, server and one of the better VPN's all at once. It has a great supporting app for android at least, the apple version seems to get good reviews as well.
Thanks for this - I'll look into all of those services and see which seems to be the best for me to move to.

Deleted member 888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
lol this is funny. I've got a Raspberry pi2.

I'm looking at this too as I use Adguard right now and its served me well - https://github.com/AdguardTeam/AdGuardHome/wiki/Raspberry-Pi

Seems its interface might be a bit more user-friendly.

I managed to get this up and running on my pi. Learned a bit more today! I initially bought the Pi for emulation a few years ago but never really used it.

Still not 100% sure how a pi-hole (or adguard home which is a version of it) is much different than adblocking DNS? Well, it's a local version of it I guess with proper tracking and stats.

The good thing is adguard home has whitelisting, and I'm sure pihole does too.

famikon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ベラルーシ
That's not correct. Are you confusing Firefox for Android and Firefox Focus/Klar? Both do feature block tracking protection which Focus uses by default. But its capabilities are not even close to uBlock origin). I recommend anyone to use Firefox for Android as you can pretty much use any add-on you can use available for it's desktop sibling (such as uBlock Origin, NoScript, Cookie AutoDelete etc.).
No. Firefox Android (not Focus) blocks ads too, just check settings. They are off by default for regular tabs.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
My computer isn't the best so Chrome was starting to give me a hard time, often requiring me to reboot it. This has provided me with a good reason to check out Firefox again after so long.

First impressions are good so far.

Though does anyone know how to autohide the address bar in full screen mode on Mac OS?

Oct 25, 2017
Time to grab good ol Netscape Navigator
Blast from the past that one
s-bd9ccd8fbab4d0d04f278c24137765ce6a811058.gif

lake

Oct 27, 2017
I clicked on this and the front page is mostly libertarian or right-wing nonsense and/or conspiracy theories about aliens, so I'm definitely not going to use this.

I never noticed such. Your comment made me want to point out this possibility to the project's creator but I found a thread already covering it:
https://github.com/omarroth/invidious/issues/217

I think the author (Omar) comes off pretty well there (there seems to be no intentional right-wing bias) and alternate front-page seeding solutions appear to be in the works.

Personally I never see the front page because I search the site with a Firefox bookmark keyword, ie "y2 elena vs hugo" and it takes me to the search results page. I'm also logged in (dark theme!).

Edit: Modified a script from StackOverflow to redirect any YT URL in Google search results to equivalent Invidio.us links.
Code:
// ==UserScript==
// @name Google Replace YT w/ Invidio.us
// @namespace Violentmonkey Scripts
// @match https://www.google.com/search
// @grant none
// ==/UserScript==

var links,thisLink;
links = document.evaluate("//a[@href]",
    document,
    null,
    XPathResult.UNORDERED_NODE_SNAPSHOT_TYPE,
    null);

for (var i=0;i<links.snapshotLength;i++) {
    var thisLink = links.snapshotItem(i);

thisLink.href = thisLink.href.replace(RegExp('https?://www\\.youtube\\.com/(.*)'),
                                      'https://www\.invidio\.us/$1');

thisLink.href = thisLink.href.replace(RegExp('https?://youtu\\.be/(.*)'),
                                      'https://www\.invidio\.us/watch\?v=$1');
}
Ideally I wouldn't be using Google search anymore (I'm trying to train myself to use a Searx-based search provider) but change is a process.

Last edited:

Deleted member 888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
On YouTube I have recommendations turned off and I didn't sign in on that shady looking website so there's no way it could access any data YouTube did have. It is possible that it was giving me YouTube's default recommendations, but I assumed the whole point of a YouTube replacement was not to have the same obvious problems as YouTube, and that's why I blocked the YouTube front page to begin with.

It's probably just generic then. Never seen that site before.

In other news I switched over to Pi Hole using that guide from earlier which runs a lite version of Linux. Got everything setup and I've just been adding block lists and sorting out my whitelist.

The USB3 port on my hub seems to be good enough to power my PI 2b so it's just plugged in there and connected with ethernet.

Not that I really use it but even my PS4 browser now blocks ads lol.

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
In my case on some image/script heavy pages there would be delays before links could even be clicked on. Like if the page was frozen for a couple of seconds. I'd disable or uninstall the LastPass extension and it was gone immediately. I haven't used it since early December 2018 so I'm not sure if they've updated to fix it yet.

I just exported the login info to KeePass, which I was already using mostly. I don't know why I didn't earlier tbh.
Oh, I see. I haven't experienced any of this so far.

I installed Firefox earlier this month though.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
I have oficially totally migrated to Firefox. I just wish they allowed spell check in two languages at the same time and I REALLY wish the Android app was better, it's pretty slow on my Snapdragon 625 phone, but whatever, having uBlock Origin on mobile is cool.

-Pyromaniac-

Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad I'm all macOS/iOS. Makes it easy to avoid chrome. +1 that iOS lets you do native ad blocking in safari.

I knew google would do this kind of stuff over time.

Diego Renault

Nov 1, 2017
That's great news for other browsers.

You don't have to use Chrome. They are a lot of other good browsers out there.

Deleted member 888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have oficially totally migrated to Firefox. I just wish they allowed spell check in two languages at the same time and I REALLY wish the Android app was better, it's pretty slow on my Snapdragon 625 phone, but whatever, having uBlock Origin on mobile is cool.

Install the nightly on mobile. It's 10x better.

Shocking that Mozilla hasn't implemented the scrolling patches on ordinary Firefox yet. Even if they're worried about bugs the ordinary Firefox on mobile is already a fucking bug.

-Pyromaniac-

Oct 25, 2017
Errrrr.... Safari already made the change proposed here by Google about a year ago. Safari for iOS only ever had a very similar API to the one proposed here.
Oh, I was wrong then. Then I don't get the big deal. Slightly bloatier? Aren't there many options to use. The ones I use for iOS and macOS don't seem any slower than unlock on chrome. Don't have any whitelisting issues either.

StrayDog

Avenger
Jul 14, 2018
I will need to wait for websites starting using webauthn so my U2F security keys work more smoothly. Firefox "support" for U2F keys is lacking and broken at this moment.

Deleted member 2474

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Errrrr.... Safari already made the change proposed here by Google about a year ago. Safari for iOS only ever had a very similar API to the one proposed here.

the main differences with Safari's system that made it preferable are:

1) larger block lists (50,000 vs Google's proposed 30,000)
2) a single app can provide multiple block list extensions in one app installation, so you don't need to manually install multiple extensions to work around the block list
3) Safari didn't have adblocking at all before, so adding this API was purely beneficial rather than taking anything away

Last edited:

Midnight Jon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
finally got firefox installed on this computer again

now if only someone would port over Reddit Pro Tools from chrome so i ain't gotta read deplorables' shit

e: it'd also help if tweet embeds didn't look weirdly broken

Last edited: