• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

joe_zazen

Oct 25, 2017
I think you misunderstood my post.

I was addressing the poster who was excited about having Amazon, Google and xCloud streaming services on the same platform (Switch), to which I suggested was redundant because outside of Amazon's mobile games, there won't really be much else on those other services that isn't on xCloud; so really xCloud alone on Switch functionally serves the exact same purpose.

Well, it will be up to google and amazon to differentiate their offerings. But, for example, if I can play google streamed AC on anything that has chrome, then pick up where i left off on the switch, that would be something xbox cannot do.

Deleted member 35598

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Spain
DISRUPTION! also Nintendo and MS are ganging up on PlayStation.

At this rate :

- in 1 hour Tom Brady will announce his retirement.

- in 2 hours Avengers vs Justice League movie will be jointly announced in a press conference by Warner Bros and Disney.

- in 3 hours Rihanna will tweet she would like to marry me.

- in 4 hours, Elvis is unveiled as not dead and runs for US president in 2020.

- in 5 hours Samsung buys Apple who just bought Netflix an hour earlier.

- And by midnight, there will be an Alien invasion

All this "barely" crazier than what we heard so far today :)

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, MS has Office suite apps in Google Playstore despite being competitors with Google docs etc etc.
To best understand the problems Google and/or Apple would have, you should think of these streaming services as platforms, not as apps.

So sure, you can build an office application and put it on the Play Store where it sits competing with Google's office apps. Lots of companies have done that and Google are fine with it.

What you definitely can't do is build an app store and upload the client application to the Play Store. If you do that, Google will remove it. That's why the Amazon App Store isn't on the Play Store. It's also why when Amazon included their app store in their standard Amazon app, Google removed that app.

A subscription-based games streaming service that provided direct competition to Google would be unlikely to be viewed by Google as anything other than a conflicting app.

Microsoft might have more leverage than Valve
Probably less leverage. Google and Apple aren't worried about Valve as a cross-spectrum competitor. They're not a major player on the scale of Google and Apple and there's no path for them to ever become one. That's not the case for Microsoft.

The big unknowns are the most important ones:

1. Is this going to be a dedicated machine?
2. Is this going to be a streaming box?
3. Will it just be mobile games on a TV?

We'll see.

1. Almost certainly yes.
2. Almost certainly yes.
3. No.

It's kind of puzzling to see people imagining this as a mobile games box. It might do that as one function, but why do you think Google ran an Assassin's Creed Odyssey streaming beta?

Just spare us moneyhats, funding games is great but don't snatch stuff already in development.
The introduction of multiple competing streaming services and multiple potentially-viable PC storefronts to the existing market of several viable consoles plus Steam....well, that's going to result in more money in more hats than there's ever been before.

Maximus

Oct 27, 2017
So they can abandon it 1-2 years later? Nice.

What I was thinking. How can anyone trust Google with it's track record of trying new things with a lack of real vision or focus and then abandon the service/product.

All up for Google trying, but I'm cautious of trusting them to create a platform that will stand the test of time right now.

(I use a lot of Google services and I have Google hardware too).

Memento

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It will make a bunch of noise and then it will be dead in its second month in the market

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
I'm curious about game streaming, but unless Google has some killer feature or exclusives i'm interested in, i'll wait for one of the other streaming solutions.
What Google probably imagine as their killer feature is that they're already the place people go to find out about games they're interested in.

So when people do a Google search for a new game, Google can put a "Play Now with Google" button at the top of the search results and you're seconds away from playing it.

Or they could integrate with YouTube and put a "Play Now" button there, so if you're watching someone play a game and decide you'd rather be playing instead you can choose to do that. If they're really clever they could give you the ability to jump to the exact point in the game that you were watching on the video.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm curious, but the streaming while the tech was cool it wasn't a major game changer as I have hardware that can handle the titles I want to play.

For people who can't afford it though, streaming is going to kill it if they live in an area with fast speeds.

alexbull_uk

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
UK
If it's streaming only, I'm not interested in the slightest. Also don't really trust Google when it comes to hardware.

Deleted member 35598

Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Spain
I wondering if Google has any big exclusives games to announce. They know exclusives mske the difference. Si did they manage ti get exclusives titles from big 3rd party devs ?

yuraya

Oct 25, 2017
Gonna be an interesting for sure.

Wonder who they partner with? Nvidia or AMD?

If its just some 50-100$ streaming in house box then its gonna be disappointing. Project stream worked so well for me just via regular ass chrome browser + Ethernet. I really don't see why they would even bother creating a streaming box unless there is some actual horsepower in it. There is billions of devices around the world that already do what a box like that does. Would be a stupid waste of time/money.

OP
OP

Deleted member 34385

Banned
Nov 26, 2017
so here is a question. can people who cant afford high end hardware, afford high end internet connection?

Deleted member 35598

Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Spain
Doubt they'll get exclusives, but Ubisoft's stuff will probably be available there.

Yes but you need Exclusives. Otherwise there are no incentives for gamers to buy the console. The Playsation and the Original Xbox had exclusives when they arrived on the market.

And let's not forget Phil Harrison is working there. He knows how this works.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Yes but you need Exclusives. Otherwise there are no incentives for gamers to buy the console. The Playsation and the Original Xbox had exclusives when they arrived on the market.

And let's not forget Phil Harrison is working there. He knows how this works.
The thing is, I don't think any of the big third parties would be willing to make an exclusive for them (and not only that, most of them seem busy already). Maybe Rocksteady's new game, who knows.

bdbdbd

Oct 27, 2017
Google has maintained a pretty abiding interest in VR/AR for awhile now, so I'd at least a little surprised if those aren't tied into this somehow.

Deleted member 35598

Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Spain
The thing is, I don't think any of the big third parties would be willing to make an exclusive for them (and not only that, most of them seem busy already). Maybe Rocksteady's new game, who knows.

That's Google we're talking about here. It's not like they won't have the "financial" incentives for the 3rd party devs.

Remember when Nintendo accepted to revive Bayonetta franchise after it was declined by everybody else ? So who knows other non lucrative franchises out there that Google could go after. Imagine a new Dino Crisis, Lost Planet, Ninja Gaiden, Medal of Honor, etc.

Imagine if Google gave 200 million to Konami to bring a new Metal Gear game ! Do you think Konami would say no ? Don't you think this would get gamers attention ?

Oct 31, 2017
It'll be a streaming device. I'm interested. This also strengthens the rumor of the MS - Nintendo partnership. FAANGs getting into gaming in a serious way should worry the traditional gaming companies.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Competition is good.

(I'm taking this will be like the Epic Game Store for consoles :P).

I wonder what type of first party support we'll see.

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
Streaming is not 5+ years away. It also doesn't matter that it doesn't work everywhere. It only needs to cover key markets and major cities initially. Just like with every new technology, it doesn't need to be everywhere all at once day0. All these concerns seem unreasonable to me. Things aren't build overnight but you have to start from somewhere and that the start is functional, compelling and as strong as possible. Streaming can definitely do that right now, it's way more than good enough. Every person that plays games right now probably has good enough internet for this already, it's very difficult otherwise to play the modern games and consoles. It doesn't take as much data as you think either. Games are already reaching 100GB downloads and digital sales are increasing every day over retail because it's more convenient for more and more people to just download the game they want. It's not that different for streaming with data sizes and it's even more convenient because you can start right away.

Deleted member 35598

Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Spain
Streaming is not 5+ years away. It also doesn't matter that it doesn't work everywhere. It only needs to cover key markets and major cities initially. Just like with every new technology, it doesn't need to be everywhere all at once day0. All these concerns seem unreasonable to me. Things aren't build overnight but you have to start from somewhere and that the start is functional, compelling and as strong as possible. Streaming can definitely to that right now, it's way more than good enough. Every person that plays games right now probably has good enough internet for this already, it's very difficult otherwise to play the modern games and consoles. It doesn't take as much data as you think either. Games are already reaching 100GB downloads and digital downloads are increasing every day. It's not that different for streaming.

Can't agree more.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
How much bandwidth was required with Project Stream? 10mpbs right?

I forget. I know that my connection flutters around 12 and I barely, barely made the connection test to participate. I had to try like five or six times.

But once I was in, it worked find with I guess my borderline connection. During prime Time the video would get compressed. Enough to get really ugly. But it still played fine.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Streaming is not 5+ years away. It also doesn't matter that it doesn't work everywhere. It only needs to cover key markets and major cities initially. Just like with every new technology, it doesn't need to be everywhere all at once day0. All these concerns seem unreasonable to me. Things aren't build overnight but you have to start from somewhere and that the start is functional, compelling and as strong as possible. Streaming can definitely do that right now, it's way more than good enough. Every person that plays games right now probably has good enough internet for this already,.
I don't agree, I bet you the vast majority of gamers are not in good enough connection areas, Streaming will more niche than not for a long time because there's some big infrastructure and data cap issues that need to be resolved before it can be viable for a large enough audience.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
I'm expecting the Chromecast Gaming as Google rolls out their online streaming service and..some sort of bluetooth controller.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Streaming is not 5+ years away. It also doesn't matter that it doesn't work everywhere. It only needs to cover key markets and major cities initially. Just like with every new technology, it doesn't need to be everywhere all at once day0. All these concerns seem unreasonable to me. Things aren't build overnight but you have to start from somewhere and that the start is functional, compelling and as strong as possible. Streaming can definitely do that right now, it's way more than good enough. Every person that plays games right now probably has good enough internet for this already, it's very difficult otherwise to play the modern games and consoles. It doesn't take as much data as you think either. Games are already reaching 100GB downloads and digital sales are increasing every day over retail because it's more convenient for more and more people to just download the game they want. It's not that different for streaming with data sizes and it's even more convenient because you can start right away.

I mean, the history of PSNow and Geforce Game Streaming contradicts you, but regardless, what you're describing is how you create a market with no growth. The service being "good enough" is a great way to ensure that you're able to keep the lights on for a few years before it gets shuddered because the issues other people are bringing up in this thread are never addressed. It's why PSNow had to allow people to download games else the service die completely.

"Good enough" game streaming is here. I played 66 hours of Assassin's Creed Odyssey using Project Stream and it was good enough. Great game streaming, something will take the world by storm and be something that everyone can take advantage of now, is not only 5 years out, I would say it's 10 years out, because America's telcom system will drag the expansion of the entire world down. Unless EVERY gaming company lobbies for better north american internet infrastructure, game streaming will always only just be "good enough", and "good enough" is not viable in the current gaming ecosystem.

Try playing a fighter or an RTS on any of the current game streaming offerings.

We're not there yet, unless the only thing you care about playing requires less than, let's say, 300ms of delay.

How much bandwidth was required with Project Stream? 10mpbs right?

10mbs minimum. IIRC, my feed was fluxuating between 21-25mbs and was using aproximately 19gigs per session. Granted, I played some long ass sessions but...YMMV.

And I have pretty damn good internet and any time anyone in the apartment started streaming anything from anywhere, the first thing to get hit was the game stream. As it stood in december, project stream only really worked if you were the only one using the internet in your home.

nikos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
I never skip launches, but I'm genuinely not interested unless it's something incredible.

Maybe this post will look silly in a few years. Probably not though.