• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like a massive detail is being omitted by people (including Google) in this presentation. If you hoped to just play on the smartphone or tablet you already owned, it'll almost certainly not be the case:
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/tech...ervice-for-games-no-console-needed/ar-BBUYqot

It is, however, launching a streaming service just for video games that will work on any TV with Chromecast, computers running a Chrome browser, and Google's Pixel devices. You don't download the games to your devices, just play them over any Wi-Fi connection.

Stadia will stream games in 4K at 60 frames per second in HDR with surround sound over a 25 Mbps internet connection. For now, it only works over Wi-Fi, but Google expects it to work on 5G connections in the future. You don't need to download a game and no special hardware is required — other than a $35 Chromecast to play on a TV.

This specifically means that if your smartphone is not a Google Pixel, it won't be supported (for now). Stadia works through Chrome only if it's on a computer.

Last edited:

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
Well, duh, it's a Google product, of course it's only going to run on Google devices.

Google Chrome is easy enough to get for everyone, so that's a very low barrier of entry.

OP
OP

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well, duh, it's a Google product, of course it's only going to run on Google devices.

Google Chrome is easy enough to get for everyone, so that's a very low barrier of entry.

The presentation was very ambiguous about that:
D2CbPgjWsAAddKP.jpg

Anyone with a computer should be able to try it, but when it comes to phone and tablets it's much trickier. Same for TVs.

What's the issue here? Am I missing something? Doesn't every smartphone run Chrome?

It doesn't work on Chrome through phones. The only phones it'll work with are Google Pixel devices.

ekim

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not sure if they are just quoting what has been said at the presentation. Of course they would only use their devices when talking about tablets and phones.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Man, I wouldn't want to use this thing on a phone anyway considering how obscenely expensive mobile plans with high data caps are.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
It's a lot easier to tune performance expectations when you limit it to your own products. It's how Apple does things and not a lot of people seem to give them (any or enough) shit for it.

That being said, I'm willing to bet it will eventually become a thing on anyone running a specific Chrome version and on phones that use Android Q.

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
Sad to see that iPhones aren't supported (unless it can work through my Chrome browser on my phone), but the vast majority of people should have some form of access.

MattyG

Oct 25, 2017
The presentation was very ambiguous about that:
D2CbPgjWsAAddKP.jpg

Anyone with a computer should be able to try it, but when it comes to phone and tablets it's much trickier. Same for TVs.

It doesn't work on Chrome through phones. The only phones it'll work with are Google Pixel devices.
I find it hard to believe there won't be a Stadia app, there's no way they're going to limit it to Pixels only

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Worth noting that this move isn't without precident: Google Assistant initially launched as a Pixel exclusive feature, before eventually rolling out to almost all other Android phones over time.

That said, initially its a disappointment, as I would imagine phone gaming would be a major target market for Stadia.

Baked Pigeon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Phoenix
Yep, the CEO at the beginning of the conference specifically said pixel when talking about mobile devices. Not many people connected the dots.

OP
OP

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's not just iPhones.
It's any smartphone that isn't a Google Pixel device. You can't run Stadia through the Chrome mobile app, only "through computers" according to this article.

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
Pixels only? Not any other Android device, let alone iPhones or iPads?

That's a pretty big detail to leave out.

ikaben

Oct 27, 2017
I thought I heard them mention something like "other browsers in the future", didn't they?

Harlequin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm wondering if the Pixel thing is an actual hardware limitation of some sort or if it's just Google wanting to shut out the phone manufacturing competition. If it's the latter, they're kind of shooting themselves in the foot.

Deleted member 4247

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If they don't support Android TV it's all kinds of stupid. I'm not buying a separate Chromecast Ultra to plug into my TV that already has one built in.

Broman1978

Nov 11, 2017
I have a Chromecast Ultra connected to my TV so I just have to buy a Controller and i'm Good to go yes?

Canucked

Comics Council 2020 & Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
So when they said "Any screen" they meant "Any screen*"

Expected. I have an old chromecast but I will try it if I get a new one

Hentailover

Oct 25, 2017
Moscow
"It's super understandable and accessible" - say the people that proceed to not understand it post links to mobile google chrome apps as if it's gonna work.

Status
Not open for further replies.