• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
Since I'm buying someone's Buddy Pass off of them..

.. my biggest complaint, other than shit like D2 being 1080p@medium is that multiple outlets are reporting it works terribly on PC via Chrome.

Makes me think that they aren't using the same video codecs in Chrome as they are Pixel/Chomrecast. People with wired PCs are seeing terrible latency vs. the same game on wifi on a Pixel.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I will admit that I'm impressed that it works as well as it does. As I noted on Twitter, when played on my FW900 the artefacts are less noticeable. Still, it's the actual game performance that baffles me. Lower res and settings that expected. It's not much of a match even for X1X yet.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
I will admit that I'm impressed that it works as well as it does. As I noted on Twitter, when played on my FW900 the artefacts are less noticeable. Still, it's the actual game performance that baffles me. Lower res and settings that expected. It's not much of a match even for X1X yet.
Alright Dark1x is here! I agree the Graphical setting are baffling. This I did not expect.

Charpunk

Oct 25, 2017
Now the question im asking myself is do I keep this shit and hope they improve on it and keep the cool looking controller or say screw this and return it as soon as I receive it lol

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Now the question im asking myself is do I keep this shit and hope they improve on it and keep the cool looking controller or say screw this and return it as soon as I receive it lol
Same. This is worthless for what I wanted it for if I can get a better Destiny experience on my X.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
If you got charged you can't cancel.
I must of been charged then. I needed a Chromecast anyways but the main reasoning I picked this up was to try out the tech play Destiny on it, from the sounds of it that version is subpar so I will likely go back to my PS4 version....UNLESS the Stadia version has significantly less load times which I'm sure would have been mentioned

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
I am keeping as I do think they will improve over time. I am really puzzled about Destiny tbh.

Trace

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I must of been charged then. I needed a Chromecast anyways but the main reasoning I picked this up was to try out the tech play Destiny on it, from the sounds of it that version is subpar so I will likely go back to my PS4 version....UNLESS the Stadia version has significantly less load times which I'm sure would have been mentioned

Stadia does have significantly less load times for Destiny, it was mentioned in at least one of the reviews I read.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
I'm not doing much with Stadia myself obviously
I suspect we'll feel much the same way about it, which is why selfishly I was hoping you'd give some hands on impressions about latency and IQ, cause then I'd know whether it was worth my time or not :P

Ah neat! Thanks for sharing.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
I'll be keeping because it'll be interesting to see how it all comes together and hey, new quirky tech. Don't have a Chromecast atm either and, weird as it might be, but be neat to have the controller too.

For others wondering, refund FAQ below.
Might be worth nabbing your name still.

If I return my Stadia Controller or Chromecast Ultra, will my subscription be cancelled? Will I be refunded for the Founder's Edition?

If you return all of the contents of the Founder's Edition within 15 calendar days after the day you received it, your 3-month Stadia Pro subscription will be cancelled and you'll be refunded for your purchase. Returning the Founder's Edition also means you'll lose access to the games that you claimed as a Pro subscriber, your Founder's Stadia Name will revert to a standard Stadia Name, and your Founder's Badge will be removed. If the Buddy Pass included with your Founder's Edition has not been redeemed at the time of your return, the Buddy Pass and 3-month Stadia Pro subscription will be voided. If the Buddy Pass has been redeemed at the time of your return, the included three-month Stadia Pro subscription will be cancelled and the redeemer will lose their Stadia Pro benefits.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
Stadia does have significantly less load times for Destiny, it was mentioned in at least one of the reviews I read.
Then Stadia is back on the menu!

: )

(I fucking hate the long ass loading times in D2 to get anything done)

edit, it's on Eurogamer

As soon as you boot Destiny 2 on Stadia, you know you're in for a very different experience. For starters, the prolonged, agonising loading times on the current-gen consoles are enormously reduced, but more than that there's a shift in rendering priorities. Console Destiny is limited to 30 frames per second, while the Stadia version runs at 60 frames per second instead. It may not be faster than the Xbox One X version in terms of controller response owing to the cloud-based nature of the experience, but it's certainly more pleasing to look at in motion with the frame-rate holding steady in some pretty hardcore battle scenes.

www.eurogamer.net

Stadia tech review: the best game streaming yet, but far from ready

Can Stadia tech out-muscle Xbox One X? How good is the streaming quality and what about the lag?

I'm happy again lol

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So yeah I'm cancelling mine and just wait for the free version next year, I might get an xbox one on Black Friday and get game pass instead

Ada

Nov 28, 2017
DF comparison images are damning, all that image quality thrown away. I guess there are limits to video encoding under these time frame constraints.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
DF comparison images are damning, all that image quality thrown away. I guess there are limits to video encoding under these time frame constraints.
It's the same with video streaming! You lose detail.

However, filmed video is much less impacted by this so it still looks acceptable.

CurseVox

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts (USA)
Same happened to me, it's "processing" now so you can't. I talked to support, best you can do is wait for it to get delivered and then return it for a refund.

Yup looks like they just charged me. My expected arrival date isn't until Dec either! Kind of shady that they charged me all of a sudden mere hours after the embargo lifted... Sure that was totally a coincidence. lol

Trace

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Yup looks like they just charged me. My expected arrival date isn't until Dec either! Kind of shady that they charged me all of a sudden mere hours after the embargo lifted... Sure that was totally a coincidence. lol

Mine just got shipped in the last hour or so, so it is possible it's "coincidental" but yea it still sucks. At least it looks like the refund will be for the full amount once I get around to returning it.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
That image quality has little to do with video encoding, it's a mix of the Stadia game hardware power and the effort that went into porting the games.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
Best case scenario is this is the fault of requiring Vulkan; and devs are doing shitty Vulkan renderers that improve over time.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is actually nuts, this service seems inferior to even GeForceNOW which has been out for years. It's surprising to me that Google has fucked this up so badly.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
All reviews I've read said this is the best streaming service they've tried to date.
I'll respect that opinion, but the videos and reviews I've seen of Stadia performance/latency on even gigabit connections, as well as the limited quality and catalog of games, makes this far inferior to GeForceNOW for me. GeFNOW has a huge library of games and has in my experience performed flawlessly, and is still .. free and in beta.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
I'll respect that opinion, but the videos and reviews I've seen of Stadia performance/latency on even gigabit connections, as well as the limited quality and catalog of games, makes this far inferior to GeForceNOW for me. GeFNOW has a huge library of games and has in my experience performed flawlessly, and is still .. free and in beta.
Which ones have you been reading that says GeForceNow has better latency? Like I said, every single review I've read/watched, including Digital Foundry's technical measurements, said Stadia was the best streaming service they had seen, especially in terms of latency and performance.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
Which ones have you been reading that says GeForceNow has better latency? Like I said, every single review I've read/watched, including Digital Foundry's technical measurements, said Stadia was the best streaming service they had seen, especially in terms of latency and performance.
GeFerce Now can run Destiny 2 at Highest settings @ 1440p/60FPS.

Apparently Stadia does Destiny 2 @ 1080p/60 on roughly medium settings.

Latency is another issue, but google isn't really blowing anyone away there either according to DF's results.

I think it's been 5 years since DF actually tested anything GeForce now related back when it was called Grid. Can't find anything on their site about actual tests of GeForce now, just news articles repeating PR.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
BTW I'm still in the market for a buddy pass...

So in a couple of weeks if any of you keeping your pre-orders don't return the device and get your buddy passes hit me up and I'll shoot you $30

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
GeFerce Now can run Destiny 2 at Highest settings @ 1440p/60FPS.

Apparently Stadia does Destiny 2 @ 1080p/60 on roughly medium settings.

Latency is another issue, but google isn't really blowing anyone away there either according to DF's results.

I think it's been 5 years since DF actually tested anything GeForce now related back when it was called Grid. Can't find anything on their site about actual tests of GeForce now, just news articles repeating PR.
I didn't say anything about graphical quality, I was talking as a streaming service, meaning latency and performance. There isn't a single review that says any other service is better, and multiple reviews state that it is the best they've tried.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
I didn't say anything about graphical quality, I was talking as a streaming service, meaning latency and performance. There isn't a single review that says any other service is better, and multiple reviews state that it is the best they've tried.
Yeah but what have they tried?

I mean my wife is the best wife I've ever had... she's my second lol

Best wife ever? Need more data.

Charpunk

Oct 25, 2017
This is actually nuts, this service seems inferior to even GeForceNOW which has been out for years. It's surprising to me that Google has fucked this up so badly.

Yeah it's kind of bonkers how they would screw up this badly out of the gate. Good luck getting people on board if they eventually improve things. They blew their first impression and people were already looking for reasons to hate it.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Wow, you canceled? I mean you had been the most pro-stadia guy on this board from what I read^^ Google seriously fucked this launch up ...
Yea it's currently not really better than GeForce now which I already have, I'll revisit next year and see if they are offering 4k yet

GeForce now is 1080p but I thought stadia was going to be 4k but it isn't so I don't see a reason to use it yet

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Google should have listed this as a beta, is worse than I was expecting but I had no illusions of as launch without issues. The low specs on games is the surprise
I don't care if it was listed as beta or not, Phil Harrison himself said all games would be 4k and not a single one of the games I was buying is 4k

I can get the same experience on GeForce now that I already have

I'll look into it again when cyberpunk comes out and see if it's 4k or not

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
I just want to know WTF is going on with these settings / resolutions.

- Is Vulkan just not ready for prime time and/or these companies have a long way to go to improve their Vulkan pipelines?
- Is rendering your game at 4k adding latency due to stress on encoders/decoders so games that are latency sensitive aren't shooting for 4k?
- Is the hardware just not that great?

It's just odd; a 10.1 TF AMD GPU w/ competent CPU should be able to do Destiny 2 at 4k/60 near highest settings. Not 1080p / medium.

We can throw the word "optimization" around all day.. these games are not running at the expectation of an unoptimized game on that hardware.. playing massive catch-up to mid-range PCs is not where you want to start pre-optimization. And Destiny 2 is the premiere game being marketed and included with the service.. so why wouldn't it be fairly well optimized in the first place?

Saks for ost

Oct 27, 2017
Oslo
Same reason I cancelled my founders today. I could live with the early access state of the service if the games was maxed out and 4k/60fps, but now its useless. Hope we get a good streaming service some time next year or so. Would have been perfect for people like me traveling a lot with a work laptop

riverfr0zen

Oct 27, 2017
Manhattan, New York
Number of disappointing things from the reviews, but still want to check it out for myself. My expectations of the "launch" were already in the low "this is a beta" area, so I'm fine with keeping it around to see if they (can) improve some of the major issues like game display settings levels.

It'll also take some time to generally evaluate the ongoing usage of the service/platform.

Charpunk

Oct 25, 2017
Number of disappointing things from the reviews, but still want to check it out for myself. My expectations of the "launch" were already in the low "this is a beta" area, so I'm fine with keeping it around to see if they (can) improve some of the major issues like game display settings levels.

It'll also take some time to generally evaluate the ongoing usage of the service/platform.

I'm probably going to do the same. Worse case scenario is that I spent $130 on a chromecast lol

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
Geforce Now has worked well for me other than the fact that I have to enter my Steam password every single time I launch it. With Steam Big Picture's awful on-screen keyboard. Unfortunately, that alone makes is basically unplayable for me. It's just too much effort.

Crazy that the actual tech works so well, but that's the thing they cock up.

Oct 25, 2017
If this was a gamepass style service, where it has older games, but for one fee, you can play a bunch of games, then I think I'd give this the benefit.

But yeah, $59.99 for some cloud only games and have graphics of disappointing quality and input lag?

That is an EXTREMELY hard sell.

But thats me. This model is obviously ideal for some people. Brand new cloud only version games.

Status
Not open for further replies.