• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 27, 2017
Philadelphia
I pre-ordered last week. I'm looking forward to seeing if it can offer a viable replacement for third party games until the next consoles launch.

Also, since I have 952 hours spent on Destiny 2 (PS4) so far I'm interested in seeing what it's like at 60 fps.

OP
OP
Cpt-GargameL

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I pre-ordered last week. I'm looking forward to seeing if it can offer a viable replacement for third party games until the next consoles launch.

Also, since I have 952 hours spent on Destiny 2 (PS4) so far I'm interested in seeing what it's like at 60 fps.

I can definitely see it as my go to platform for third parties if it delivers what it's promising. I'm super excited for it and can't wait to receive mine as well!

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
So disappointing that Google decided to cancel my order even though I live in one of two US locations they listed as not supporting...just realized they cancelled it back in June...

they could have at least shipped it out and say we don't officially support it yet or something...
was looking forward to Stadia. Now just going to wait and see how it plays out.

Deleted member 1003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So disappointing that Google decided to cancel my order even though I live in one of two US locations they listed as not supporting...just realized they cancelled it back in June...

they could have at least shipped it out and say we don't officially support it yet or something...
was looking forward to Stadia. Now just going to wait and see how it plays out.
They took it away? Like it's free money for them while you wait. That's silly.

Kanhir

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
That is a great video.

The idea of rerouting the video feeds so that you have the rest of your team's screens as part of your HUD is such a great idea, and would be a huge step for co-op games like Overwatch or even Monster Hunter World.
This is the kind of vision and enthusiasm that I really wish they could get across in their actual promotion for Stadia.

(I would also like if they could do some actual promotion for Stadia. Every bit of hype I have comes from either the Reddit AMA or this video.)

Edit: To me, the big disconnect between their strategy and their promotion is the fact that Stadia's free tier is aimed at people who don't have consoles, but they're delivering Stadia's marketing through avenues that are designed for console gamers (GDC, E3, Connect videos). I'm not sure how they expect to reach the target demographic like this.

Last edited:

Cliff Steele

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm bummed that I missed out on the founders Edition. Been thinking of getting it because I want the Chromecast anyway since it seems like a good companion to my new Pixel 3a.

So how will this work with Uplay+? Im subscribed to the service can I just use the Stadia version then?

MrFarenheit

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Winnipeg, Canada
That is a great video.

The idea of rerouting the video feeds so that you have the rest of your team's screens as part of your HUD is such a great idea, and would be a huge step for co-op games like Overwatch or even Monster Hunter World.
This is the kind of vision and enthusiasm that I really wish they could get across in their actual promotion for Stadia.

(I would also like if they could do some actual promotion for Stadia. Every bit of hype I have comes from either the Reddit AMA or this video.)

Totally need to get some news out. What I want to see is the UI etc. I am still hyped but am concerned that they have shown none of the ecosystem (store UI , friends list, etc.).

riverfr0zen

Oct 27, 2017
Manhattan, New York
Edit: To me, the big disconnect between their strategy and their promotion is the fact that Stadia's free tier is aimed at people who don't have consoles, but they're delivering Stadia's marketing through avenues that are designed for console gamers (GDC, E3, Connect videos). I'm not sure how they expect to reach the target demographic like this.

I'm not sure what their long term strategy is, but what they're working up to now is the Founders Edition launch. I don't think they've aimed that at "casuals". It's aimed at gaming enthusiasts who are adventurous and willing to be a test bed of sort. So that's why they're using those channels, imo.

I think the Founders launch will in part help form their actual marketing direction for the "full launch", including the free tier.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Can't decide if I want to keep my Founder's Edition preorder or not. Being able to play Destiny 2 on my lunch breaks at work is super tempting, but I can't really see myself using it for much else... but at the same time, it also seems fun to just tinker with. I dunno.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
That is a great video.

My perception is they're trying to make sure the service is passable for the core audience. The stage they're at right now is like an earlier adopter VR headset.

When it's a smooth experience (no intermittent maintainance, minimal network troubleshooting) they have an unfair advantage in reaching the audience they want. As they've said it's as simple as a link on a YouTube video.

thebishop

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
My perception is they're trying to make sure the service is passable for the core audience. The stage they're at right now is like an earlier adopter VR headset.

When it's a smooth experience (no intermittent maintainance, minimal network troubleshooting) they have an unfair advantage in reaching the audience they want. As they've said it's as simple as a link on a YouTube video.

Yea, I think there's a wrong assumption that Stadia is only going to be good for basically non-gamers / casual players. But right now there is still a lot of hassle with gaming, and many of those problems can probably only be solved with cloud rendering. How many times this gen have you sat down to play a game, and couldn't play the game you wanted because an update (either system or game) had to download? How many times have you tried to play a new multiplayer game with friends, but somebody in your party forgot to install the disc, or didn't grab the day-1 update? This shit happens to me all the time.

I'm really hyped to get rid of a whole bunch of user experience issues in one shot via cloud rendering. Of course if the video quality is bad, if the latency is really noticeable, then it's not a solution. But if those issues are mostly negligible (i.e. going from CD to Spotify in audio quality), then the benefits to a convenient experience are going to be huge.

People in here who spend $500+ on their GPU, I don't expect them to switch. But I think any console player will be a potential customer for Stadia. This is not only a casual audience.

MrFarenheit

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Winnipeg, Canada
Yes I agree that as someone who games a lot there is still a lot to be excited about. If it runs as promised I am getting out of the physical console grind.(other than maybe Nintendo) there are toomany benefits with patches, long term cost etc . with Stadia to ignore

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I wonder what the 5.1 sound is using? Do we know? I have to assume it won't be LPCM, but rather Dolby Digital. And if so, 5.1 sound will have a very noticeable delay, as it does on current consoles. I wouldn't want to play with that.

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'll get it, Don't have any other console. One game a month with the paid subscription should good until the PS5 comes out especially turning casual.

Pakesaker

Oct 25, 2017
Omaha, NE
Do we know how resolutions other than 1080p and 2160p will work? I have a 1440p monitor that I would like to use, but I have a 4K tv as a backup.

Plankton2

Dec 12, 2017
Honestly I'm pretty frustrated that it's October and I feel like I know about as much as I did in April about Stadia. The store, launch, online I feel like the communication is pretty bad on all of it right now.

I was thinking about getting the founders stuff last week but I feel like that's just a bad decision right now cause of the lack of communication.

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Do we know how resolutions other than 1080p and 2160p will work? I have a 1440p monitor that I would like to use, but I have a 4K tv as a backup.
then your 4k will be downsampled to 1440p most likely. Its video in the end, just like you can get the 4k youtube stream on a 1080p monitor for that extra crispness.

sugarmonkey

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I was a scoffer, but the more I think about having a service where I can play a game at max settings on any device in my house, or on the go is changing my mind. It's expensive as fuck to keep a high end PC with current parts, and the thought of being able to play a game without worrying about settings ever again is sexy af.

Pakesaker

Oct 25, 2017
Omaha, NE
then your 4k will be downsampled to 1440p most likely. Its video in the end, just like you can get the 4k youtube stream on a 1080p monitor for that extra crispness.
That's what I figured, but I didn't know if Stadia would be different for any reason and I hadn't seen it specifically mentioned. I'm curious to try things out later this year.

Azurik

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Honestly I'm pretty frustrated that it's October and I feel like I know about as much as I did in April about Stadia. The store, launch, online I feel like the communication is pretty bad on all of it right now.

I was thinking about getting the founders stuff last week but I feel like that's just a bad decision right now cause of the lack of communication.

we know it's coming in November
We know what games will launch
We know we don't have to pay for online
We know the monthly price
We know it's 4K/ HDR (internet permitting)

That all I need to know for now

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I was a scoffer, but the more I think about having a service where I can play a game at max settings on any device in my house, or on the go is changing my mind. It's expensive as fuck to keep a high end PC with current parts, and the thought of being able to play a game without worrying about settings ever again is sexy af.
This is what I've been saying for months, replace your gaming PCs with cloud gaming and keep your consoles for exclusives

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Im curiously exited. I don't need a chrome cast for media I have my Apple TV but if I can play latest pc game at 4k 60fps (I have 500/500mb fiber no cap for 25e per month ) it will help waiting for next gen consoles. And play some exclusive pc games. And If for one more chrome cast I can put this in my bedroom it's quite wonderful if it works good.

going in vacation ? I'll settle for 720/1080p but I have a gaming system I can take everywhere

Deleted member 54216

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 26, 2019
True, i feel the same.

Badcoo

May 9, 2018
So right now there's no way to play this through an Ethernet cable? I have gigabit internet but I don't think this would stay consistent on wifi

Pheace

Aug 23, 2018
As far as I've read there's no guarantee you'll be getting Max settings with Stadia? I've seen several people explain the videocard used is not scalable (or something like that) and FPS will be prioritized over quality, dropping quality to make sure FPS can be maintained.

SRV

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Edit: I'm going to rewrite this in a better worded manner.

Does anyone know if we can just subscribe to Stadia Pro in November or is it only available to customers who have bought the Founders edition?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.