• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Aftermath

Oct 27, 2017
Lets see Nvidia Geforce

Free per Month (was 7.99, free May Be temp)

Resolution: 4K

Frame rate : 60fps

Buy games wherever you want? YES

Access Steam Games Library : Yes Partial (was full hopefully they will reunlock every game)

Battle.Net Library : Yes

Ubisoft Uplay Library : Yes

Free Games : Yes - Tomb Raider 2016, Batman Arkham Asylum etc

33-EF54-D0-C4-FD-4-E4-F-93-CB-6-CAE4426-FD07.png

Console? : Yes kind of TV Player Nvidia Shield, also works on PC & Mac
But with that, you also need a computer with an nvidia gpu right?

Nope I have a Nvidia Shield, granted it cos me 160, but no pc in sight

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
It IS. Did you not watch the stream?

$9.99 a month. At launch there will be games at launch and games get added just like Netflix. You have the OPTION to purchase games just like you have the option to rent/buy movies on Amazon Prime.
Where are you reading this? We all watched the Stream. You're trying to defend something that isn't there. I don't doubt they'll add more Free games down the road but this isn't the Netflix of gaming.

Maxim726x

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
You have to buy games individually...and pay a $10 monthly fee on top to stream anything above 1080P/60FPS...

Uhhh.... Why would you do this is you have an NVidia Card with Gamestream?

I mean, I guess the potential of streaming in 4K is tempting, but no fucking way that's going to work without crazy lag.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
I'll say after the initial disappointment about the Pro variant, for people who don't have a console the base version is a pretty great deal. You need to buy a controller select a game and off you go, no other hardware or installations required.

I somewhat wonder how many people who don't own a console are still willing to pay full price for games. But maybe high schoolers and college students who currently can only play on old laptops would be willing to jump in here?

Nightbird

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
They should have one free game for all tiers so interested buyers could check the quality via that.

Having to buy a game to even test how well it works is a dealbreaker

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
A big question maybe as you are not downloading the games, but still buying them will the be any cheaper? No disc, no hdd, just cloud data streaming

Yet to be seen. My expectation is that they'd more closely match PC prices, e.g., usually $10 less than consoles, but not sure. I wouldn't imagine that the price would be cheaper because there's no disc or packaging though, that cost is relatively trivial (and the reason most digital games are the same price as most retail games today).

And like any service I'd expect there to be sales and discounts at different times throughout the year.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
The vague messaging is really frustrating. Just fucking tell us how many "free" games we can expect per month and how much new games will cost.

Angst72

Oct 27, 2017
You pay 10 bucks a month for Netflix. You get thousands of movies and series.

You pay 10 bucks a month for Stadia. You get Destiny 2. That's it.

You don't see any difference?
So, not like Netflix at all. I'm disappointed that the library is so small. For me personally this would have been a good way to play games like civ 6.

Xiofire

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
The subscription price is basically leasing the hardware AND whatever free games Google throw in, which is currently only Destiny 2...which might be going F2P?

This was a big ol' let down.

mikehaggar

Developer at Pixel Arc Studios
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa
On this I agree on the value proposition to consumers. The problem is perhaps the value proposition to the industry, and what the industry might do in response. I dont think Stadia is a clear winner across industry lines which causes more fragmentation and not less. This makes industry outcomes foggy which, IMO, doesnt bode well for Stadia holistically. That said - never ever count google out if the proof is in the pudding.

Well... they did an extremely poor job in explaining how the service works/what you get as evidenced by all of the posters here asking what games Pro includes afterwards. I kind of feel like they were intentionally vague in that presentation regarding how it works--they didn't want to come out and explicitly say "You pay $9.99 a month and then you have to buy all of your games on top of that." One could interpret they vagueness as a lack of confidence in their own offering...

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
Understandable but as a business you have to make good business decisions. Just how Microsoft came out with the Xbox it was lacking in games and it only grew from there.

People are jumping the gun and calling this doa and it hasn't even started.
The issue is the whole "paying for games you can only stream" thing. If you take that out and it's just Netflix for games I doubt anyone would complain at all. It's the having to buy games when you can only stream them that people don't like.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
wait.
i still have to pay for the new games?

What am I even paying for? For the right to stream it?

wtf...

Yes, if you decide to pay for it (standard service is free), you are paying for the right to stream it, and the service behind that.

But you don't have to pay for anything, as the standard service is free.

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
no, I've been using on my base MBP 13" with on-board iGPU
Lets see Nvidia Geforce

Free per Month (was 7.99, free May Be temp)

Resolution: 4K

Frame rate : 60fps

Buy games wherever you want? YES

Access Steam Games Library : Yes Partial (was full hopefully they will reunlock every game)

Battle.Net Library : Yes

Ubisoft Uplay Library : Yes

Free Games : Yes - Tomb Raider 2016, Batman Arkham Asylum etc

Console? : Yes kind of TV Player Nvidia Shield, also works on PC & Mac

Nope I have a Nvidia Shield, granted it cos me 160, but no pc in sight
Nah, I Mena don't you need a pc with an nvidia gpu to host your library first?

teague

Dec 17, 2018
No, people are in shock that Stadia is offering way less than their competitors for the same price with less options.

Yes, exactly. Also "free" is a weird way of describing what's happening if I occasionally get a game as a reward for subscribing to something (like PS+ and Games with Gold). I guess they don't cost anything additional, but I'm paying for it basically.

elzeus

Oct 30, 2017
If MS combines xCloud and Game Pass into a single subscription, this thing is DOA
Microsoft could just add xcloud to Game pass ultimate (game pass+gold) and it would make the value insane and they would obviously make a separate subscription just for xcloud. Stadia's subscription price for what it is offering doesn't seem attractive at all.

SecondVariety

Oct 29, 2017
I own a lot of game hardware and expect to buy a least one console from the upcoming new generation. So renting google's streaming platform seems unattractive with also having to buy titles for it. The free model (1080p, stereo) doesn't seem better than my current hardware. Not having to download titles is interesting, but instead a constant stream of data might not be better. No library of games included in the sub model is an issue. It could be that the free model with game demos could be fun to quickly try out games, but then I would probably purchase elsewhere unless exclusive.

Deleted member 41931

User requested account closure
Apr 10, 2018
I'll probably get any interesting exclusives, but I'm not feeling that buisness model as interesting as it is.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, the more I think about it the more I think Stadia is dead in the water. Mostly because xCloud will be such a superior option on paper. The only advantage that Stadia has that I can think of is YouTube integration.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Understandable but as a business you have to make good business decisions. Just how Microsoft came out with the Xbox it was lacking in games and it only grew from there.

People are jumping the gun and calling this doa and it hasn't even started.

As a huge Sega fan and Dreamcast lover, Microsoft game out the gates swinging with their game line up(not to mention them buying Rare). Stadia isn't even in the ball park of what Microsoft was doing at the time.

LebGuns

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, it won't looks as crisp as local 1080p/4K. However, games can have better graphics and bells and whistles than traditional home consoles. It's a trade-off.
I think this is objectively true, though I think it will run into the question of how perceptible the difference is. The 4K streams from Netflix and Amazon Prime look pretty damn good to me. I'm not sure I can tell the difference from bluray anymore at the highest stream quality.

Got it. Thanks! I sit really close to the TV so I'll probably notice. Difference might not be too bad though.

KTroopA

Oct 27, 2017
London, UK
I hope in the next connect they look at the camera more lol. The whole talking to the other person camera thing was very distracting and awful decision to engage the audience.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nvidia has a good service from the looks of it, it just doesn't have the marketing know how to get the word out there and really push it the way a Microsoft or Google can to a mainstream audience.

OP
OP
Cpt-GargameL

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The issue is the whole "paying for games you can only stream" thing. If you take that out and it's just Netflix for games I doubt anyone would complain at all. It's the having to buy games when you can only stream them that people don't like.
Understandable but because they provided the option to purchase new games day 1 people are up in arms. So if the option was removed it'd be ok?

bxsonic

Oct 30, 2017
It IS. Did you not watch the stream?

$9.99 a month. At launch there will be games at launch and games get added just like Netflix. You have the OPTION to purchase games just like you have the option to rent/buy movies on Amazon Prime.
I see. Well, I suppose that makes it better. I'll give this a try if it offers a library comparable to Game Pass. No chance I'm buying a game on a service that might not even be around in a few years time.

MaulerX

Oct 30, 2017
Only Destiny 2 for now has been confirmed, will build over time

So the sub only unlocks 4k and gives you a free game occasionally like Gold? And there I was concerned that they weren't going to put their exclusives on their own service. this is actually worse than I thought it would be.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
I own a lot of game hardware and expect to buy a least one console from the upcoming new generation. So renting google's streaming platform seems unattractive with also having to buy titles for it. The free model (1080p, stereo) doesn't seem better than my current hardware. Not having to download titles is interesting, but instead a constant stream of data might not be better. No library of games included in the sub model is an issue. It could be that the free model with game demos could be fun to quickly try out games, but then I would probably purchase elsewhere unless exclusive.

The Stadia service includes free games. But we only know of Destiny 2 atm.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
Understandable but because they provided the option to purchase new games day 1 people are up in arms. So if the option was removed it'd be ok?
If they offered a lot of games through streaming and didn't make you buy games you won't actually own it'd be fine. The issue is you have to pay a subscription and then pay for the actual games!

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes, exactly. Also "free" is a weird way of describing what's happening if I occasionally get a game as a reward for subscribing to something (like PS+ and Games with Gold). I guess they don't cost anything additional, but I'm paying for it basically.
Yes nothing you get in a subscription is 'free', you are paying for all of it. Just like you are paying for Stadis, except you pay the same with Stadia and get less games and less options. Does that really sound like a great deal to people?

Status
Not open for further replies.