• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

toy_brain

Nov 1, 2017
A lot of people are thinking this is some sort of planned rollout so the servers don't get overloaded on day one.
I kinda doubt that.
It's much more likely to be down to boring stuff like the capacity of their distribution centres, and the logistics of printing out thousands of individual address labels and sending out individual packages.

As someone who has backed (and received) many boardgame Kickstarter projects, I'm well aware that the process of 'sending physical shit out' can take a while, even after the stuff has arrived in your central distribution centre.
And no, "but they're Google" isn't a decent argument. Pushing physical shit around the world is way different to pushing digital bits around, and Google can't just magically make the roads wider and postmen faster.

Interestingly, those people who have pre-ordered seem pretty chill about all this. It's everyone else that's doing the ranting and raving, and y'all were never gonna be trying the service till Base comes out sometime next year!

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
A lot of people are thinking this is some sort of planned rollout so the servers don't get overloaded on day one.
I kinda doubt that.
It's much more likely to be down to boring stuff like the capacity of their distribution centres, and the logistics of printing out thousands of individual address labels and sending out individual packages.

As someone who has backed (and received) many boardgame Kickstarter projects, I'm well aware that the process of 'sending physical shit out' can take a while, even after the stuff has arrived in your central distribution centre.
And no, "but they're Google" isn't a decent argument. Pushing physical shit around the world is way different to pushing digital bits around, and Google can't just magically make the roads wider and postmen faster.

Interestingly, those people who have pre-ordered seem pretty chill about all this. It's everyone else that's doing the ranting and raving, and y'all were never gonna be trying the service till Base comes out sometime next year!
Yea like i said yesterday, 90% of the people complaining in this thread don't even have 1 ordered

fick

Alt-Account
Banned
Nov 24, 2018
I haven't been following too closely. Do we NEED one of these controllers, or can I use kbm or an xb1 controller?

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't been following too closely. Do we NEED one of these controllers, or can I use kbm or an xb1 controller?

the only way to get access to stadia in 2019 however is with the founders/premium edition, which requires you to buy the $130 bundle. There is no way to sign up for a (free) account in 2019. In early 2020 they will let people sign up for the free version and you can use it across multiple devices and stuff, just like the beta in jan let you play Assassins Creed Odyssey on a PC with a controller or kbm in 1080p.

Not sure how exactly the buddy passes that come with every founders edition works, that also gives you access to the pro edition but not sure when exactly that goes out and how you would play. That should also give you 3 months free of pro.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I had one pre-ordered but cancelled it last week. Mostly so I'd have enough money to buy the Analogue Pocket without feeling as guilty down the road, but also because, even as someone who has been pretty defendant of the system when it comes to claims like "Google will shut it down in a year", the price proposition just ain't worth it. And now they top things off with this announcement.

The potential of Stadia is still great tech-wise, but they really seem to be rushing it to market without doing any research, which is incredibly baffling for the company with perhaps the most analytic data in the world.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
I thought you had to buy a "founders edition" to be allowed to access the service at all before next year? Or did I get the wrong end of the stick?
You need to pre-order yes, but the account creation will likely be initiated by email.

Once you've got the account, you don't need any of the hardware.

Tony

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I'll make this a little easier for them and cancel my preorder. I really don't need it anyway, I was more curious about using the tech and getting hands on with that controller, but this is too much. I'll check in again with them next year and see how it's going.

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
What a perfect way to kill off your product before it even starts, Google.

With this among other bad news about it, this thing will be the next Wii U & Ouya.

Kabukimurder

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Wait... how can a preorder of a cloud service be late?

..wait.. why did people preorder a cloud service at all..?

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
am I missing something?
It said from the beginning that the Founder edition will arrive at the 19th and it having a limited amount of units which all have been sold out, and at the same time they announced the Premiere edition which will ship out a bit later. I don't read anything about the founders edition not making it on time.

mario_O

Nov 15, 2017
the only way to get access to stadia in 2019 however is with the founders/premium edition, which requires you to buy the $130 bundle. There is no way to sign up for a (free) account in 2019. In early 2020 they will let people sign up for the free version and you can use it across multiple devices and stuff, just like the beta in jan let you play Assassins Creed Odyssey on a PC with a controller or kbm in 1080p.

Not sure how exactly the buddy passes that come with every founders edition works, that also gives you access to the pro edition but not sure when exactly that goes out and how you would play. That should also give you 3 months free of pro.
Ugh. So if I want to sign up to the *paid* service using my computer and a xbox controller I can't? They force u to buy the dongle + their controller in 2019?

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
Welcome to the future - instant gaming without the restrictions of hardware!

Please wait for your hardware to arrive in 1-2 weeks after launch.

mario_O

Nov 15, 2017
So if your TV already has Chromecast Ultra integrated, you can't buy the gamepad alone? why? Baffling.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
Ugh. So if I want to sign up to the *paid* service using my computer and a xbox controller I can't? They force u to buy the dongle + their controller in 2019?

maybe you will if founders get buddy passes and they can be activated in 2019 and they allow you to get a 3 month stadia trial? its all very murky, unclear, and just another aspect of "this launch is awful"

So if your TV already has Chromecast Ultra integrated, you can't buy the gamepad alone? why? Baffling.

you will be able to in 2020, just not now. Well, a stadia pre order can add second (and third, fourth) controllers so maybe if someone ordered 2 controllers and gave you a buddy pass and a controller you could? I dunno.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
Beta testing Founder Pre-order deliveries.

Either they are rushing this beta- preorder launch or Google at the last minute realized that ground logstitics actually exist.

Trace

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Beta testing Founder Pre-order deliveries.

Either they are rushing this beta- preorder launch or Google at the last minute realized that ground logstitics actually exist.

They've said people were going to "start receiving them on launch day" since they put them up for sale. This isn't new news, not sure why it's being portrayed as such. Willful ignorance I guess.

senj

Nov 6, 2017
Don't worry, if you'd like to complain about this I'm sure you can get a machine generated form letter in response because Google has essentially no human customer service

Plumpman

Jan 24, 2018
This has got to be the biggest early access / beta launch that is not labeled explicitly as such.

Why would they release this in a controlled manner and basically not have many of the awesome features they announced at launch otherwise?

The great promise was to buy a game, and stream to any device, easy. Feels so limited at launch now.

I'm in for the "free" tier next year, when it hopefully becomes what they promised.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
How hard is it to produce a controller and a Chromecast?

I'm curious to know how many units they planned on having for the launch.

Rumenapp

Forza Photographer
Nov 9, 2017
a lot of their stuff isn't available most of the times in specific countries, except Chromecasts :p

Here in Portugal their online store only has two items, a chromecast (non ultra) and google wifi. Never even had any Pixel phones for sale.

Pretty barren.

Deleted member 11976

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This and the controller news was what pushed me over the edge to cancel my founder's edition preorder. I'm sure Stadia will be cool down the line but I don't feel like paying and showing up for it on Day 1 anymore.

Hokey

Oct 29, 2017
So hardware wise all they had to do was make a controller and they still managed to fuck that up?

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Nooo! I was planning on playing RDR2 to testdrive Stadia, if it's delayed (which it will be, I'm essentially at the north pole) I'll probably just wait for the Steam version which comes in Dec.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
So if you have stadia pre ordered you can go to the google order history page (login etc)

and it has a delivery date. People were fucking with the order (just editing and saving) and it kept changing the delivery date to the point where the website was saying they will get it Nov 5th, weeks before release. lol

i wouldn't do that, its quite possible editing the order puts you in the back of the delivery queue so you will in reality get it LAST.

I still have a pre order, i'm pretty much resigned to it being a complete waste of $130 but its the perfect time of year to play with weird gadgets. My delivery currently says Nov 21st - 22nd, I ordered within an hour or two of the announcement.

Indelible

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
It really seems like Google is doing everything they can to botch Stadia out of the gate, I don't see this lasting to long.