• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

mztik

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo, Japan

That article doesn't really confirm anything. Just speculation from the author in the article.

From Yves' quote in that article: "the extra cost to put to make sure the games work well on Stadia is not that high". For all we know, Ubisoft's CEO might be talking about making sure the PC game work well and users have a good experience when the game runs with Google's Stadia streaming technology. Perhaps, adding support in the existing code for the PC version to play well with the Stadia platform.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Pretty weak considering you have to buy a subscription

I know there's no hardware requirement but it feels weird seeing this after signing up for $1 month game pass which converts to $5 per month after (PC) and having just downloaded Gears 5. The few games offered are good but its hard to know the audience for this given the cost (IMO the free version of stadia at 1080/60 is the interesting one).

Weak launch.

You don't need a sub to play Stadia. You can play at 1080p with no sub. Stadia Pro gives 4k/HDR etc.

Pheace

Aug 23, 2018
But you don't need to buy a subscription. 1080p is free.
But then you're paying the same price as everyone else, to have a game you can only ever play in 1080p and 2.1 sound, until Stadia deems it the right time to either upgrade the free package, or unless you start paying a sub for better quality.

When 4k becomes cheap enough to be worth it for me, or heck, even higher, my games quality goes up with them. I'm not reliant on a service or a sub to do that.

Horns

Dec 7, 2018
Oh boy. I've been hoping to see Stadia be successful, but this is pathetic. What a bad way to launch your system. It needed some killer titles to make a splash.

MeltedDreams

Oct 27, 2017
Cannot wait to play Tomb raider reboot on Stadia.

hYAzbYf.gif

Seriously this thing is not even available in my country. They rush it in hope to catch some interest before Christmas.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
That article doesn't really confirm anything. Just speculation from the author in the article.

From Yves' quote in that article: "the extra cost to put to make sure the games work well on Stadia is not that high". For all we know, Ubisoft's CEO might be talking about making sure the PC game work well and users have a good experience when the game runs with Google's Stadia streaming technology.

You can go through all the GDC talks from March. Their "dev kit" are development instances in the cloud. They can also build in house developers nodes.

It's not just a PC, they have specific hardware allotments for each instance that they're allowing devs to tap into.

Ubisoft themselves have had to add an additional compiler target to be able to get games running on the platform, it's talked about in the first link below.

Mantorok

Mar 8, 2018
People that don't want hardware or don't want to buy 1,000$ gaming PCs not hard to see

Anyone who knows enough about gaming to know how much a decent gaming PC costs or can't afford a console is very unlikely to be sitting around waiting for this kind of service. The market you're talking about sounds incredibly niche

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
But then you're paying the same price as everyone else, to have a game you can only ever play in 1080p and 2.1 sound, until Stadia deems it the right time to either upgrade the free package, or unless you start paying a sub for better quality.

When 4k becomes cheap enough to be worth it for me, or heck, even higher, my games quality goes up with them. I'm not reliant on a service or a sub to do that.

That I can play elsewhere other than my house, seriously if consoles didn't have exclusives, I'd trade them in for Stadia, just much more convenient and saves my electricity bill.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
As I've said before, I would get this day one if Destiny 2 shared its player base with the PC version.

But it doesn't. It's going to be a fucking wasteland.

ImaLawy3r

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 6, 2019
I don't like or hate Stadia, but...

PS4 games had to be created from the ground up or ported over to the new architecture of the system. Isn't Stadia basically a streaming service allowing you to play PC games running off their hardware on site? If so, Stadia could've launch with more existing PC titles.

Not an apples to apples comparison.
No. It's not. All Stadia games need to be created from the ground up.

Pheace

Aug 23, 2018
That I can play elsewhere other than my house, seriously if consoles didn't have exclusives, I'd trade them in for Stadia, just much more convenient and saves my electricity bill.
So can I, Steam allows me to stream my games outside of the house. So does Geforce Now. Electricity cost for a running PC isn't that high imo but it's a fair point. That said, *easily* mitigated by having countless sales options for the games I buy whereas you'd be stuck with whatever pricing Stadia offers you. You wouldn't have been able to play The Outer Worlds on release for $1 (for example).

ImaLawy3r

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 6, 2019
PS4 Launch titles:

• Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag
  • Battlefield 4
  • Blacklight: Retribution
  • Call of Duty: Ghosts
  • DC Universe Online
  • DriveClub
  • FIFA 14
  • Just Dance 2014
  • Killzone Shadow Fall
  • Knack
  • Lego Marvel Super Heroes
  • Madden NFL 25
  • Minecraft
  • NBA 2K14
  • NBA Live 14
  • Need for Speed: Rivals
  • The PlayRoom
  • Resogun
  • Skylanders: Swap Force
  • Tiny Brains
  • Warframe
  • War Thunder
  • Watch Dogs
Xbox One Launch Titles:

• Battlefield 4
  • Crimson Dragon
  • Dead Rising 3
  • FIFA 14
  • Fighter Within
  • Forza Motorsport 5
  • Just Dance 2014
  • Killer Instinct
  • LocoCycle
  • Madeen NFL 25
  • NBA 2K14
  • NBA Live 14
  • Peggle 2
  • Powerstar Golf
  • Ryse: Son of Rome
  • Watch Dogs
  • Zoo Tycoon
  • Zumba Fitness: World Party

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
Yea that's lot cheaper than upgrading a PC or buying a next gen console
You can likely buy a PS5 or Xbox next gen for around $500 and get a library of new games at launch and know that it will be supported by all major gaming studios.

I'd say that's better than spending $130 in a service that requires a monthly sub for 4K HDR, that hasn't proven itself, doesn't even have Activision or EA as supported publishers or any noteworthy games coming at launch, let alone a killer exclusive. Let alone streaming and Google killing products that don't take off.

I'd say Stadia is a risk. Hopefully the full launch in 2020 will be better.

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Oh boy. I've been hoping to see Stadia be successful, but this is pathetic. What a bad way to launch your system. It needed some killer titles to make a splash.
It's NOT a system...it's a storefront.

Stadia (if they stick with it) will appear next to every gaming video on YouTube. That's billions of hours of eyeballs staring at a "play now" button.

I know lots of things about the launch are bad....but lots of people keep comparing it to a system launch when it's not.

It's closer to the launch of epic game store and they have bought scloosies because they are taking on a deeply entrenched eco system....

Everyone is already a stadia user, they just don't know it yet.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone who knows enough about gaming to know how much a decent gaming PC costs or can't afford a console is very unlikely to be sitting around waiting for this kind of service. The market you're talking about sounds incredibly niche
Well I'm going to save a ton next gen by not upgrading my pc

Nov 23, 2017
They can't give them say any other Assassins Creed or Ubi open world game like FC5, or throw them a bone with the full Destiny 2 up to date package? I thought they are investing a lot of money into this.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
Stadia has got to pick it up a bit here. I'm glad I wanted to play more D2 cause there isn't anything else for me.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
PS4 Launch titles:

• Battlefield 4
  • Blacklight: Retribution
  • DC Universe Online
  • DriveClub
  • FIFA 14
  • Just Dance 2014
  • Killzone Shadow Fall
  • Knack
  • Madden NFL 25
  • Minecraft
  • NBA 2K14
  • NBA Live 14
  • The PlayRoom
  • Resogun
  • Tiny Brains
  • Warframe
  • War Thunder
  • Watch Dogs
Xbox One Launch Titles:

• Battlefield 4
  • Crimson Dragon
  • Dead Rising 3
  • FIFA 14
  • Fighter Within
  • Forza Motorsport 5
  • Just Dance 2014
  • Killer Instinct
  • LocoCycle
  • Madeen NFL 25
  • NBA 2K14
  • NBA Live 14
  • Peggle 2
  • Powerstar Golf
  • Ryse: Son of Rome
  • Watch Dogs
  • Zoo Tycoon
  • Zumba Fitness: World Party

I don't know what Watch Dogs and Driveclub are doing in those lists. They both came out in 2014. Watch Dogs six months after launch and Driveclub a year after launch.

mztik

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
You can go through all the GDC talks from March. Their "dev kit" are development instances in the cloud. They can also build in house developers nodes.

It's not just a PC, they have specific hardware allotments for each instance that they're allowing devs to tap into.

Ubisoft themselves have had to add an additional compiler target to be able to get games running on the platform, it's talked about in the first link below.

Thanks for the links!

Deleted member 30681

user requested account closure
Banned
Nov 4, 2017
You can likely buy a PS5 or Xbox next gen for around $500 and get a library of new games at launch and know that it will be supported by all major gaming studios.

I'd say that's better than spending $130 in a service that requires a monthly sub for 4K HDR, that hasn't proven itself, doesn't even have Activision or EA as supported publishers or any noteworthy games coming at launch, let alone a killer exclusive. Let alone streaming and Google killing products that don't take off.

I mean, for now this is true, but we all know it won't be in 3 months. The subscription isn't going anywhere even when Stadia Base launches next year, but it certainly won't be a requirement past that point.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
As I've said before, I would get this day one if Destiny 2 shared its player base with the PC version.

But it doesn't. It's going to be a fucking wasteland.

can't wait for the tweet for the first raid group completion..........i could see folks getting this just to say they got stadia world firsts lol

Horns

Dec 7, 2018
It's NOT a system...it's a storefront.

Stadia (if they stick with it) will appear next to every gaming video on YouTube. That's billions of hours of eyeballs staring at a "play now" button.

I know lots of things about the launch are bad....but lots of people keep comparing it to a system launch when it's not.

It's closer to the launch of epic game store and they have bought scloosies because they are taking on a deeply entrenched eco system....

Everyone is already a stadia user, they just don't know it yet.

That makes sense and I don't disagree. It still needed more games at launch regardless of what we want to call it.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Microsoft and Sony need to offer their own cloud services and make them similar to stadia so I don't have to buy a Xbox 2 and ps5

Mantorok

Mar 8, 2018
Well I'm going to save a ton next gen by not upgrading my pc

So it's for gamers who have already spent a load on hardware and have had enough? Got it.

The proof is in the pudding with this, but even if they pull it off technically without too many hitches, I think the slice of the gaming market is going to be so small it's going to be practically DOA, particuarly with a laughable line-up like this. I think the majority of gamers will show some interest, then realise it's not really a big enough game changer, the rest is what will be left, and I reckon that's going to be extremely niche.

unfashionable

Oct 29, 2017
I'm looking forward to the launch just to see how good in practice the technology is, for example RDR2 at 4K is how good compared to the PC version...

Cyberpunk being comparable to PS5/scarlett would be an interesting scenario for someone without those consoles (or PC)

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So it's for gamers who have already spent a load on hardware and have had enough? Got it.

The proof is in the pudding with this, but even if they pull it off technically without too many hitches, I think the slice of the gaming market is going to be so small it's going to be practically DOA, particuarly with a laughable line-up like this. I think the majority of gamers will show some interest, then realise it's not really a big enough game changer, the rest is what will be left, and I reckon that's going to be extremely niche.
I rather spend less money than more money whenever I have the opportunity
just because I've been spending money on hardware my whole life doesn't mean I have to continue now that there's other options

jman2050

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Fitting that there's so many Tomb Raider games, cause in two years publishers will be raiding the tomb that is Stadia's game development studios.

just because I've been spending money on hardware my whole life doesn't mean I have to continue now that there's other options

The old adage applies:

You get what you pay for.

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
I mean, for now this is true, but we all know it won't be in 3 months. The subscription isn't going anywhere even when Stadia Base launches next year, but it certainly won't be a requirement past that point.
True, but the next gen consoles will do 4K HDR at 60fps with no monthly subscription. Stadia base is 1080p (no sub), so it's missing 4K HDR.

Mantorok

Mar 8, 2018

Can't disagree with that, I'm interested to see what the initial impressions are, and would like to try it myself as I have above the recommended internet speeds.

thebishop

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
I'm pretty annoyed that Metro Exodus and Borderlands 3 aren't making launch. Those are the games I expected to play.

Also WTF at no DOOM 2016? I wasn't planning to buy it, but presumably that port is ready since they've been showing it to ppl for years.