• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
Alucardx23

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
Who pays for all of that?

Cause it certainly isn't going to be Google. Not in the long run anyway.

Google business model is clear so far, they will try to make money out of game sales and subscriptions. Don't see this as a developer making a game that will dedicate 10 server blades on a single user. None of my examples have said that and this is not sustainable. Just think about how there are 100 million PS4 out there and none of them can take advantage of the power that the others have. This changes in a server environment.

Oct 27, 2017
The best thing about PC gaming is the massive library and constant sales. The best thing about console gaming is that I can resell the games and hardware. Stadia offers basically the worst of both.

pj-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seems like they could have had some sort of new game for the launch that shows the power of the cloud. A co-op indie thing with crazy physics or whatever

Instead we get 3 tomb raider games...

Nov 2, 2017
Shibuya
They're all talking about developing games for Stadia, and yeah, it's easy to see how it could be that best of both worlds in that regard. I'm surprised so many people are taking it as "for consumers they're the best of both worlds". Please read the article and sources before crucifying somebody.

Clicking through the links, here were some extended thoughts from the same dev, demonstrating why she felt that way;
"One of the things I didn't expect is what it's like to develop completely in the cloud," she says. "I'm working with a lead artist who helped me with the environments out in the UK. I can send him a build, he can see the game on his personal computer. I can't show him what the game looks like on the Switch or the Xbox or the PS4, because I would have to ship him a devkit. I can't possibly ship everybody a devkit, devkits are expensive.

"Whereas with Stadia, I send him a link. I make a build, it's online, you can see it in the cloud, and that matters. It matters if the people who are making the game can see what they're working on, on the platforms it's coming out on. That was an unexpected benefit for my team, because we are distributed."

Last edited:

Vagabond

Oct 26, 2017
United States
It may take a little of the best of both worlds but man does it give it an unappealing overall package...

Must be great for Devs, meh for me as a consumer.

Deleted member 4552

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You play traditional consoles at the mercy of the electricity. :D

If you don't have good internet Stadia is not for you. Thankfully the internet service will continue to improve over time.

Electricity is steady enough that cookers across Europe use the hz pulse to automatically set there time correctly*.

It's stable enough that PAL and NTSC set TV refresh rates based on the local generated electricity clockcycle, timing the electron gun to make 50 or 60 sweeps per second respectively.

Meanwhile the speed of light means unless Google put a centre in every town you're goingto get lag and to hide it various prediction algorithms are going to be used.

(*Except for a recent issue caused due to Serbian and Kosovan powergrids)

OP
OP
Alucardx23

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
I did read your response to his response.

Doesn't change my impression, but llright man, whatever you say, haha.

Sure, your first impression is in the past and that cannot be changed, but now you know better. I'm pushing for people to investigate because most of what you want to know about this is only a few Google searches away. This will make the discussion a lot better for everyone.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
p9AI4aB.gif

Nothing set in stone yet, but it's promising that they're thinking about it at least.
I wonder how they will set it up.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
The best of PC involves customization and mods to me. Can you do that with Stadia?

Edit: Even Gamepass is too limiting to me. I can't even add a little ini file to it's game directory (The Outer Worlds Supernova mod).

Last edited:
OP
OP
Alucardx23

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
Electricity is steady enough that cookers across Europe use the hz pulse to automatically set there time correctly*.

It's stable enough that PAL and NTSC set TV refresh rates based on the local generated electricity clockcycle, timing the electron gun to make 50 or 60 sweeps per second respectively.

Meanwhile the speed of light means unless Google put a centre in every town you're goingto get lag and to hide it various prediction algorithms are going to be used.

(*Except for a recent issue caused due to Serbian and Kosovan powergrids)

So back when the electricity service started and was not stable, you would have been out there screaming in the street trying to convince everyone how they should push against it and keep using their hand powered utensils, right? You wouldn't have said that the electric service was not perfect for everyone now, but the ones that do get to enjoy it will take advantage of electric appliances, while the service continues to evolve and get better for everyone. On regards to lag, check my post history and you will find post after post with factual information on how you're wrong about latency. Google won't have to build a data center between each house in order to have good or even better than local latency.

GhostofWar

Apr 5, 2019
This is such bullshit.
If parallel computing was in any way viable for VIDEO GAMES then stuff like Crossfire and SLI would already be a standard feature is all games/engines.
The fact that we can barely run 2 GPUs in parallel on a local machine without a shit ton of problems or get any decent level of scaling with them, but somehow through the magic of Cloud Gaming the devs will be able to indefinitely scale their games across stacks of server racks is a fucking FANTASY!
Just like negative latency, ISPs doing anything about bandwidth limitations and this "best of both worlds" crap.

Off loading physx to a 2nd gpu worked pretty well, modern game renderers and effects killed sli/xfire. The multi gpu audience just wasn't big enough to make devs spend the amount of time needed to implement a modern solution, anyone except Oxide anyway. If sony or ms pushed out a box with multiple gpu's we would see stuff happen. I can't see stadia stuff using entire racks for 1 game but I could see 4 blades all hitting 1 blade for something like physics simulations and that would give the stadia game a much more impressive look on say cloth or destruction effects than we see on the same game on pc/consoles.

X-Peaceman-X

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
I live on the East Coast of the us on a rural area about 40 miles from the biggest city and about 10 miles outside my local town limits. My isp is spectrum and I get 700/50 with no caps. I play mostly PC but never mod unless it's a must have mod and generally just enjoy games the way they come. I'd love to play more on my beautiful tv but consoles just aren't up to snuff for me this late in the gen (for the most part). I am super down for stadia. I listed all this out to show that while I know I only represent a small subset of gamers there is still a market for it and some people will get tons of usage out of it and for use streaming is the best of both worlds and the future sooner rather than later.

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
The latency is not terrible and a 1TB cap is an insanely high amount. I used to be on the internet streaming video Twitch/Youtube nearly 24/7 and used about 60GB data per month.

I only use a lot of data when downloading big vidya games, I found. Anyways personally I'm uncapped.
*checks my 30 day internet usage for comparison*
unknown.png

wut
How did this even happen?????

inpHilltr8r

Oct 27, 2017
from a developers perspective
the best of pc is not having to buy a devkit
the best of console is predictable hardware, and a walled garden protecting you from piracy and haxxors

Deleted member 4552

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So back when the electricity service started and was not stable, you would have been out there screaming in the street trying to convince everyone how they should push against it and keep using their hand powered utensils, right? You wouldn't have said that the electric service was not perfect for everyone now, but the ones that do get to enjoy it will take advantage of electric appliances, while the service continues to evolve and get better for everyone. On regards to lag, check my post history and you will find post after post with factual information on how you're wrong about latency. Google won't have to build a data center between each house in order to have good or even better than local latency.

Why would I want to encourage the end of ownership, why would I want to encourage the need to be online at all times, why would I want to encourage the need to connect to a remote server to play locally with my friend by my side.

Why would I think stadia is a service I would want when I can have locally rendered games & streaming with Sony and Microsoft?

Why do you Stan so hard for Google?
I'm a fighting game player, if they created a monopoly and or a future where no one renders locally why would that be good for my future. It's horrific.

Theres no reason why lag would be lower on stadia than console if developers actually cared about it, had realistic render budgets.

Why would I want to encourage the company with a destructive monopoly on Search, Video and thanks to Android, now also Browsing a space here.
Just make sure you don't post any emotes on YouTube streams.

There is no way that Google stadia beats the latency of a game designed around proper render goals on a closed box.

The stadia closed box is much more powerful than PS4 or Xbox for now. Let's compare PS5.

And even if they achieve negative latency, beat the speed of light, how are you going to cope with lost packets, signal degredation etc, traffic shaping etc. Video quality and I guess latency are going to be a variable, like an online multiplayer game but always.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Oh yes! :)
That's exactly what the service needed, instead of looking at trailers and listen to haters complaining about latency who has never actually tried the service or has crappy internet we can just try the games ourselves.

It would be cool it you could send a hotlink from a specific segment for a free trial to a friend.
"Hey! You need to try this! *link to awesome boss fight"

Shifty Capone

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
I don't know if most of you have tried Shadow PC, but I hope that becomes an option in the future with Stadia/xCloud/whatever comes next.
That would allow modding support, cheat engine on SP games, etc, etc.

To those who don't know, it's more or less a VM on a server. Instead of streaming you the D3D application, you get streamed the PC itself. Seems to be the best of both worlds, IMO.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
The latency is not terrible and a 1TB cap is an insanely high amount. I used to be on the internet streaming video Twitch/Youtube nearly 24/7 and used about 60GB data per month.

I only use a lot of data when downloading big vidya games, I found. Anyways personally I'm uncapped.

1TB absolutely isn't an "insane" amount these days full of 4K streaming, 60+ GB game downloads, etc. especially with multiple people in the house.

Kieli

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
You play traditional consoles at the mercy of the electricity. :D

If you don't have good internet Stadia is not for you. Thankfully the internet service will continue to improve over time.

Hey, that's the exact same thing Sweet Billy said about Xbox One. Guess who didn't keep their job for long.

Elven_Star

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think most people in this thread realize what Stadia actually is. It's giving you the best of both worlds without the need of specific hardware. You can play shit like RDR2 without a console/beefcake PC. It's simply reliant on internet infrastructure rather than local hardware. It "gives you the best of PCs and Consoles" without the need of either.
On the off chance that you're not trolling, the best thing about PC is its flexibility, not its raw power. Stuff like mods, cheatengine, trainers, ini tweaks. Things that basically let you customize games according to your tastes/needs. Stadia does not allow that.

Oct 25, 2017
Streaming is a another choice could bring a new audience of gamers but l prefer my pc/console for best image quality.

DJ88

Oct 26, 2017
How the hell did so many people take what the developer said as a consumer view? It's pretty fucking obvious that he meant it from a development point of view.

If you do understand the point he's trying to make I don't see how you could possibly disagree?

My god the instant dismissal and aversion people have towards anything Stadia is just baffling.

Elven_Star

Oct 27, 2017
How the hell did so many people take what the developer said as a consumer view? It's pretty fucking obvious that he meant it from a development point of view.

If you do understand the point he's trying to make I don't see how you could possibly disagree?

My god the instant dismissal and aversion people have towards anything Stadia is just baffling.
If they want to use developer benefits to advertise their service to the consumer, the misunderstanding is on them.

DJ88

Oct 26, 2017
If they want to use developer benefits to advertise their service to the consumer, the misunderstanding is on them.

I mean it's an article about a new games service. I, and many others I'm sure, would appreciate getting developers' thoughts on it.

It doesn't have to just be an advertisement. It can also be a look at how developers feel about Stadia.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
I don't get how it's the best of PC, streaming is a scary thought for PC gaming, you have zero control over your games, no modding at all.

Oct 27, 2017
I mean they're getting paid to develop Gylt exclusively for Stadia, probably not the best studio to get your impressions from.

If anything it is the worst from PC (not having a way to configure your settings) and console (not having the actual hardware).

Haint

Banned
Oct 14, 2018
Once upon a time there was a handsome prince named Netflix who loaned Blu-rays to all his subject for $8 a month, as many as they fancied. The video was pristine and the audio sublime. At the height of his reign he had 10's of millions of loyal followers and was loved throughout the kindgom. Then one day an evil wizard descended from the internet and made a proposition. He would sell the people digital rentals for $6 each, the audio would be compressed, the image garbled, and some would be taxed higher for their use, but in exchange the people would no longer have to walk to their post or insert a disc. The Lords in their grand Kuro towers laughed at the notion, not even the peasants would fall for such a bargain. But alas, the people were foolish and lazy. Soon the evil wizard conquered nearly every corner of the kingdom, leaving prince Netflix with only a couple million subjects willing to accept his Blu-rays. It is said his crumbling castle will be demolished entirely within the next year or two.

Oct 27, 2017
OKC
the idea is cool but i just can't afford $50 extra a month to remove my ISP's data cap. i'd rather just like, upgrade my computer...

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
They're all talking about developing games for Stadia, and yeah, it's easy to see how it could be that best of both worlds in that regard. I'm surprised so many people are taking it as "for consumers they're the best of both worlds". Please read the article and sources before crucifying somebody.

Clicking through the links, here were some extended thoughts from the same dev, demonstrating why she felt that way;
You see, in order to review a game you need to have spent 100 hours with it otherwise it doesnt count but in order to make a post you just have to read half a thread title and make up the context for yourself.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
So I want to believe, especially since alucard keeps insisting that ISPs will react accordingly and data caps won't be a problem. But what if Comcast decides not to give a fuck, or starts creating specialized packages or whatever? Does that mean that Stadia just isn't for me because I'm unlucky to only have Comcast as my isp option?

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Slightly discounting the Developer quotes (Since they are being paid to develop on Stadia), they are really setting themselves up for a major backlash if their games are not the best of the best ever. Saying you have no limits on what you can use and the backlash for not hitting those numbers could be massive.

Stadia is truly the best example of "Show Don't Tell"

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
I can definitely see the argument. A single hardware configuration that isn't limited by the constraints of the console form factor would make developers' lives a whole lot easier and the lack of upfront cost for buying hardware would be very appealing to customers. I also think that it is shortsighted to dismiss the technology based on the current state of internet availability and speeds. You have to start somewhere and I'm sure that the companies operating in the streaming space don't expect it to become mainstream until at least a decade down the line.

That said, for the technology to ever have the chance to become mainstream it will have to provide the fabled "good enough" experience to customers, which means decent performance, decent quality and a completely hassle-free process of buying and playing games. If these services launch prematurely and the experience is bad, word of mouth will set them back another decade.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
Wake me up when I can use 100GB of Ram in modded Minecraft so it doesn't lag or the power of the cloud makes turns in endgame Aurora 4x bearable.

Oh, you don't have any real-world examples of your super-tech?

peter-molyneux-lies-comic.gif