• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

neon/drifter

Shit Shoe Wasp Smasher
Apr 3, 2018
So firstly, I know the Android OS is based off of some Linux kernel or something like that but...

Most mainstream games don't get a Linux version made for them. Ubisoft customized Assassins Creed Odyssey just to run on Stadia. How many other AAA developers are going to go this length just for Stadia compatibility? I'm starting to wonder if this alone will be Googles biggest hurdle.

After all, getting third parties on board is an important challenge to overcome with any platform, and while Linux has been making strides in the past years, I can't help but think Stadia is going to come out with some launch titles and then 2 years down the line, we'll notice most developers go the path they've been going. (ie: not providing linux support)

I know I could be wrong. This might be some custom Linux shell that's really easy to convert towards but, yeah. We don't know too much right now and this is whats on my mind.

Anyone else pondering this?

Trace

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Companies will make a version of any game on hardware that is both strong enough to run it and worth the investment. The Stadia definitely fulfills the first requirement, and the second is still to be seen.

It being Linux based is irrelevant. The reason companies don't make current Linux versions is because the software is incredibly fragmented and the sales are extremely low.

Deleted member 426

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think the tech looks great but I think software will be Google's biggest hurdle.

I don't really understand Linux, but would that be particularly difficult to port to? Like more difficult than between XBox, PS4 and Switch?

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Google will likely set up porting tools to make it easier for devs to do it if they haven't done so already

Combine this + Steam's Proton deal and you may see more Linux ports

Error 52

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Developers made games for the fuckin' Cell, they can make games for Linux.

Linux isn't great for game development, but it's not insurmountable by any means - the reasons devs don't bother largely amount to "Linux is prone to troubleshooting hell in a way Windows isn't" and "The market is tiny"

I could actually see a case where Stadia causes more Linux games, since the port is already done.

dark494

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Seattle
Absolutely not. And they already support a large number of popular development tools and engines, and more to come still.

Jonscrambler

Nov 13, 2017
Torrance,CA
it only needs to run on whatever hardware and OS runs on google's data center, it doesn't need to support millions of Linux and kernel versions, don't think this is an issue at all

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If developers have to make a Linux version of their game just to get it to run on Stadia, then yeah that's a handicap (at least as compared to a theoretical competing service that could just use the Windows version of a game to power the video stream).

OP
OP
neon/drifter

neon/drifter

Shit Shoe Wasp Smasher
Apr 3, 2018
...no? OpenGL/Vulkan are still very common, and I'd imagine most modern game engines support one or the other.
I have to admit I don't fully understand the compatibility of it all but... just because an engine uses Vulkan doesn't mean it'll run on linux right? Like, my copy of DOOM on Steam uses Vulkan (vulkan is amazing btw) but that doesn't mean that copy would run on linux.

Am I communicating this correctly?

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
Linux has lower overhead than Windows/Android, so quite the opposite of being handicapped. Linux-based means the game will be utilizing the hardware "closer to the metal".

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
No, but I'd like to know if they get native ports or using dxvk, which would make a lot sense using Vulkan. Right now I can play pretty much every game on steam through dxvk. There a few hurdles but nothing Google can't address.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
xCloud has an advantage here because it's literally Xbox hardware so no porting is required whatsoever where an Xbox version exists.

But where an Xbox version doesn't exist, I suspect it's much of the same.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
I guess a little, established platforms will have an advantage because devs will probably already have games running on whatever they choose to stream. But Google is big enough to provide quality tools and incentives to get devs to make their games work on their hardware.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What did you expect them to run instead of Linux?
I would have thought they were just going to use the Windows version of every game, and stream video of it. That would require very little work on the part of the developers, and open up a library of thousands of pre-existing titles.

I guess they don't want to be beholden to Microsoft in any fashion so they went with Linux.

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017
Targeting a single fixed software (hardware isn't even that relevant) platform takes out much of the challenge that would be involved in distributing a Linux version to end users.

If it's profitable to build a version for Google's thing, developers will do it, and it won't be a huge additional burden.

Deleted member 15476

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't see what running on Linux has to do with anything. What's important is the userland and the development environment Google provides. I really doubt any developer will work at kernel level.

chaostrophy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I would have thought they were just going to use the Windows version of every game, and stream video of it. That would require very little work on the part of the developers, and open up a library of thousands of pre-existing titles.

I guess they don't want to be beholden to Microsoft in any fashion so they went with Linux.

Going with Windows would probably mean them paying big fees to Microsoft for Windows Server licenses. Like with Amazon EC2, the Windows instances are much more expensive than the Linux ones for equivalent instance specs.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Difficulties relating to developing for Linux are primarily that there is a wide variety of hardware/software configurations, and there is limited commercial appeal for native Linux games.

Neither of those apply to Stadia.

There are plenty of other hurdles, but Linux is not one of them.

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017
It's not like the PS3 and PS4 using a BSD stopped anyone from developing for them. And the BSDs are so obscure they make Linux look mainstream.

Nilaul

Oct 26, 2017
Greece
Running an Xbox skinned windows OS would be a handicap (however games look great on the Xbone), but a minimal, low memory Linux OS would be a positive.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
If Google can provide proper development tools and support then porting to Stadia should be relatively straightforward.

If Google can't provide proper development tools and support then they have bigger problems than their choice of underlying OS and really have no business trying to launch a games platform.

Nov 14, 2017
No.

The problem with Linu right now is the drivers and general ecosystem. Lots of companies have fixed it and done good things, but with Google onboard then it could really help.

Hopefully this will create a situation where AMD parts are as good on Linux as they are in Windows.

Fart Master

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
A dumpster
Yes, a port requiring even slightly more work for the devs will inherently put Google at a disadvantage against consoles and Windows PCs. While open source is obviously the future tons of publishers don't give two fucks about that.

Status
Not open for further replies.