• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

enzo_gt

Oct 25, 2017
This is actually the main advantage of Stadia and xCloud to me, yet it seems like the thing they're least willing to show and talk about. For that reason, this whole Stadia rollout feels super premature and makes the whole thing kind of unappealing.

klauskpm

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 26, 2017
Brazil
If you are asking for one example of features that can be done, there is Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Breakpoint, which is using Stream Connect. I don't understand enough about hardware to say something is or isn't possible in current local hardware vs what Stadia is proposing, but that article makes it seems like it is at least a lot easier than doing it in a local hardware environment.

I just watched GDC 2019 Developer Session: First Light - Bringing DOOM to Stadia and I recommend to watch if you want to see a developer point of view. People from id Software talk about: problems they had, solutions created, partnership with Google/Stadia, features that they saw they could implement, and even hinted that they were already working on "ways to differentiate the title (DOOM Eternal) on the platform in ways not possible before" (quote from the video at 37:11~37:27).

As I said, I don't have the technical knowledge to know what is possible on current hardware vs what Stadia is proposing. So I plan to keep watching their other GDC talks.

Last edited:

DonnieTC

Apr 10, 2019
If people here think the response to Stadia is bad...you should of been around (the old forum) during the OnLive days.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think stadia will offer some reall amazing stuff that we havent seen before. Its a shame lots are so down on it here. I understand peoples fear that they dont "own" the games and googles past history. But some really cool stuff can come from this.
Indeed. I'm willing to give this thing a shot at least to see what becomes of it.

kungfuian

Banned
Jan 24, 2018
Sure glad they are telling us about these amazing features instead of showing us. lol

Let my imagination fill in the plot holes...

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah cool, this is what was exciting about the initial reveal of the service. At this point show, don't tell.

Dracil

Oct 30, 2017
Now where have we heard this before?

Oh right Simcity 2013.

And let's see where the series is now? Oh right, it's dead.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully we could see something soon even if it's just a playable demo or vertical slice, the platform might gain significant traction if it's big

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
I mean it's not terribly hard.

Link two GPUs together on the server side. Now you have 20 TFLOPS or processing power ... PS5 and XB2 aren't matching that. And there's no law saying you can't go even further.
As I understand it when you link multiple GPUs in a SLI or similar configuration there are inefficiencies. What sort of inefficiencies are we expecting with 2 Stadia sessions linked together? Do we know that 2 linked together gives you over 20 TF or is this an assumption?

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Theoretically, certainly. But until you actually build a game that takes advantage of these features that can't be easily replicated by a server-client setup AND make the game fun enough on its own merits, AND have the userbase/audience to populate these worlds, it's not doing anything for me.

This. I mean the technical feasibility is there. It's like if suddenly all players and the servers were connected in LAN with infinite bandwidth. Games will no longer have to care and be limited by the amounts of info they need to transport between the client and server, because it's going to be essentially unlimited. The kinds of wacky crazy destructible environments that MS was touting with Crackdown 3 are going to be able to be cranked up to 11. Multiplayer games will be able to have all the interactive stuff that was previously limited to single player games. That said, there's always going to be other constraints like rendering and memory, game design, and budget that's going to make producing said games really hard or improbable. Will it even be fun? Will it even matter? (Cue Crackdown 3). This is the Sega CD situation all over again: sure, now you got all that extra storage space to work with and make amazing games with, so give us your best sho... oh.. oh.... ...FMV point and click games... okay. So until they actually show something worthwhile, it's all just cheap talk. I've been sold empty dreams too many times before to get my hopes up.

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
Kind of think the new MS Flight Simulator vindicates what they are saying here, provided it turns out

Agent X

Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey
Sad place, instead of imagining possibilities they don't even consider it and can't look past even 1 week into the future

I can certainly imagine the possibilities. I've been doing so for years. At this point, I'd like to go beyond merely "imagining" and have those concepts become reality.

Everyone gets that they were answering questions in an interview right!

Yes. It's still a valid criticism. The humdrum game lineup they've announced so far isn't stirring the imagination. When Stadia begins to offer novel games that utilize the unique abilities of their cloud-based structure, then you might see some enthusiasm from the peanut gallery. Until then, don't be surprised if the criticism continues.

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Kind of think the new MS Flight Simulator vindicates what they are saying here, provided it turns out

It does but that's kind of a unique situation. It works because they're using existing satellite data to recreate the actual real world. No developer is going to have the resources to build an original world this big and detailed.

Jenea

Banned
Mar 14, 2018
Everyone gets that they were answering questions in an interview right
What i meant is i don't believe them until i see it. I still remember "the power of the cloud" talk

And stadia pro will release next month, they could prepare at least a small demo to show the potential of the cloud, not just some cheap talk...

laziboi

Alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2019
Your Anus
What's baffling to me is that Stadia launches next month, yet Google has not announced a Single First party game for it. It's actually quite embarrassing honestly.

Nif

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What i meant is i don't believe them until i see it. I still remember "the power of the cloud" talk

Stadia and Xbox's approaches were fairly different, but following through with that was never going to work once they had to roll back the "always online" part of their platform.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Stadia should have prepared a big exclusive that shows off the potential of the hardware for launch, rather than fill their library with games already on other platforms and a handful of timed-exclusive indies.

Edit: Actually, PS4 and XB1 launches were rougher than I remembered from a software perspective. Stadia is about on par, then.

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Stadia threads are so unenjoyable here. Some people are so perpetually and relentlessly dour on it.

Well the industry dug up its own hole with empty promises and outright lies one too many times. Seems fair to me. We've been Molyneux'd enough times. I'm glad to see so many people wising up. It's still not enough!

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
Google will probably heavily promote Stadia with chrome book,pixel phones, TVs they have a potentially huge underserved market

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
Still crazy to me that they didn't start developing games to take advantage of this stuff and sell their product years ago. Do they not know how long it takes to make games these days?
Seriously, it's mind boggling. Even Ouya had better exclusive support than this. Google really seemed to think all they had to do was release Stadia with some decent third party support and people would flock to it solely because you didn't need to buy an expensive piece of hardware.

Lmao, that got me good.

And yeh, just show us then, Google. I've heard plenty promises like this before, but just because it is possible it doesn't mean it's feasible or that anyone is actually taking advantage of it anytime soon.
Even showing isn't good enough IMO because it's easy enough to fake shit in a controlled environment, just look at all those Crackdown 3 cloud physics demos.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As I understand it when you link multiple GPUs in a SLI or similar configuration there are inefficiencies. What sort of inefficiencies are we expecting with 2 Stadia sessions linked together? Do we know that 2 linked together gives you over 20 TF or is this an assumption?

There can be but they're still going to be quite powerful. And there's no law that says you have to stop at 2, you could go to ... 3.

In say 2 years Google can also use more advanced GPUs period, things that smoke the PS5/XB2 GPUs down 1 vs 1 fairly easily (like say a forthcoming Nvidia 3080).

Paz

Nov 1, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
Massive or extremely complex worlds that would otherwise be very difficult to synchronize between locally executed clients is totally a benefit of a concept like stadia, how developers actually manage to utilize that and how the technology actually holds up remains to be seen.

I suspect it won't be more than a cool gimmick used sparingly, but there's just as much chance I'll be wrong and it'll revolutionize how we think of multiplayer or something. The future is hard to predict.

Either way, they aren't making stuff up here or anything, but there isn't any proof yet this stuff is going to be meaningful.

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty sure a shader that simulates compression artifacts is totally doable on local hardware but ok

RAGE exists, so Stadia is late already. :P

Massive or extremely complex worlds that would otherwise be very difficult to synchronize between locally executed clients is totally a benefit of a concept like stadia, how developers actually manage to utilize that and how the technology actually holds up remains to be seen.

I suspect it won't be more than a cool gimmick used sparingly, but there's just as much chance I'll be wrong and it'll revolutionize how we think of multiplayer or something. The future is hard to predict.

Either way, they aren't making stuff up here or anything, but there isn't any proof yet this stuff is going to be meaningful.

But you would still have to synchronize between google datacenters though. Or limit players to single datacenter or increase lag to some players. (Though I guess it's still easier to sync datacenters than all the players).

Paz

Nov 1, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
RAGE exists, so Stadia is late already. :P

But you would still have to synchronize between google datacenters though. Or limit players to single datacenter or increase lag to some players. (Though I guess it's still easier to sync datacenters than all the players).
Yeah you'd have to treat it like a server selector, mmo or old school game style, which is a big limitation, but it's still interesting.

As I said my best guess is cool gimmick with limited real world use cases, but who knows for sure.

Basarili

Oct 27, 2017
Haarlem
It's going to automatically play for us. Guessing every move we're going to make so we can do the laundry in the meantime...

iswasdoes

Nov 13, 2017
Londinium
This is definitely the most exciting aspect of cloud gaming for me and I can't wait to see what capable developers will do when they can make a game for a supercomputer. This is a much more interesting promise to me than 'console gaming everywhere' that is currently being used to sell cloud gaming. But you need to install base first so it's a little chicken and egg at the moment.

RedShift

Oct 27, 2017
Stadia could be awesome for simulation games I guess. I'm trying to build a megabase in Factorio right now, and at some point in this game maintaining your PCs updates per second becomes the most difficult part.

I'm guessing for now though most 'Stadia exclusive features' will be along the lines of throwing shit loads of enemies / characters on the screen at once, which is fair enough.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Well the industry dug up its own hole with empty promises and outright lies one too many times. Seems fair to me. We've been Molyneux'd enough times. I'm glad to see so many people wising up. It's still not enough!
You could use this to bemoan and decry any future announcement in games. I get the outline of what you're saying and I'm not saying Stadia is above criticism, but this is a weak baseline for it imo.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
They keep talking about YouTube videos or twitch streams with links to play

- but you still have to pay or sign up for an account. And you'll need a controller. This won't be anywhere near as seamless as they make it sound

- and you could do exactly that with PC games (and with a little more effort, console games) - just a steam:// url with a token that gives enough info to point to an area or even save game could auto run that game. Stadia should be faster because it's streaming but still doable.

Spectone

Stadia could be awesome for simulation games I guess. I'm trying to build a megabase in Factorio right now, and at some point in this game maintaining your PCs updates per second becomes the most difficult part.

I'm guessing for now though most 'Stadia exclusive features' will be along the lines of throwing shit loads of enemies / characters on the screen at once, which is fair enough.
Yeah that would be a killer app for me, there are a lot of simulation games that slow down a lot.