• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017

Article includes a bulleted tl;dr, so I'll just quote that.

• Google has found that not only do managers matter, but they can have a big impact on how their teams perform.
  • Project Oxygen, a research initiative by Google, has set out to discover what makes an effective manager.
  • They found that effective managers empower their teams, and don't micromanage. One of the best ways to do that is to delegate.
  • Here's how Google breaks down the process of delegating, such as establishing checkpoints, results, deadlines, and clear ways to monitor progress.
Yeah, it seems kind of obvious, and yet I've had so many bad managers throughout my career that couldn't figure this out.

The article itself gets into more detail and is also worth reading.

Last edited:

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017
Yup managers who value their team and realize that they are often not the smartest one in the rooms tend to get the best results out of their team, nothing worse than a micro manager that makes you do things their way even if you know there are better and easier ways

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Pleeze do this shit for me so I can argue on the internet all day thanks

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
I'm new to managing, and temporary even, but I just get out of the way and let people do their job. I view myself as a resource if they have questions or a helper if they need help.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
best managers are those that realized you are a grown ass adult

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
Micromanagers are the worst managers.

If you won't let your employees do their jobs independently, don't even hire any. Just do their jobs yourself.

OP
OP
Septimus Prime

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I'll add that it's not as simple as just getting out of the way. If you only do that, it's no good either because then your employees feel directionless and unmotivated.

Once upon a time, I had a manager who was the CEO of the company. He gave me zero direction, and ultimately I resented him for it because he'd just point out whenever I fucked up.

It's important to also understand and communicate the "why" for what you're asking people to do and to play to their strengths and weaknesses.

Oct 25, 2017
Delegating, setting specific goals with timetables, checkpoints, progress monitoring, but not micromanaging.

So...managing. As in, being an effective leader.

Uhyup that makes sense.
But instead most managers think they exist to be served as boss instead of to serve as leader and observe no difference between the two.

nullref

Oct 27, 2017
Simply delegating is pretty easy, at least for managers that aren't control freaks—"hey you, go fix this/figure this out/do this". It's this part that is hard: "establishing checkpoints, results, deadlines, and clear ways to monitor progress". That requires a level of forethought, clarity, communication from the manager that can require a lot of work on their part—that's where they add value.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
It's nice to see some research put to it but yeah it seems super obvious to those of us who actually care about being effective managers.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
As I transition into the manager phase of my career, one of the things I'm most cognizant about is to never micromanage. It's a waste of time for everyone involved.

But at the same time, you need to be working in an environment where you can trust your coworkers to actually do the job.

Extra Sauce

Oct 27, 2017
so a bad manager will aggressively control your every action and a good manager will make you do their work

FML

liquidmetal14

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
So the best managers aren't assholes?

Whodathunkit!?
The best managers are the ones that manage to stay out of the way.
best managers are those that realized you are a grown ass adult
I could have quoted more posts but Google's research is something that I've learned the organic and natural way.

Yes, you can be nice yet constructively manage. You can encourage and delegate and often times make people think you're not as knowledgeable just to empower those who are typically more close minded into opening up and talking about how the job used to be or tales of their own experiences.

This one aspect I'm touching on is usually veteran order workers who are stuck in their ways. Often times management has a hard time dragging them into the new ways and updated techniques. What I do first is work harder and smarter to make sure that ME (the human being) is there to pull my load. Then I usually make small talk about my newborn or whatever applies at the current time. You have to let them know that whatever politics and behavior work has that you are always thinking about the things that really matter. A hard worker who is knowledgeable will always win over anything else even if he/she cannot break through, the work should always do the talking.

Once you break the ice and let them see hard work then you ask questions to engage them. These questions could be obvious but it gets people to talk about how good they are at things and unbeknownst to them, you are empowering them and setting them up to count on them since they know you work hard.

This is a rather disjointed post but I trust that some may see how easy it is to build trust, communicate, and ultimately build assets who know you work hard and will want to do the same by you setting that leadership/teamwork tone.

Last edited:

Opto

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
so a bad manager will aggressively control your every action and a good manager will make you do their work

FML
When you delegate, you're still responsible for what you hand out because if you delegate incorrectly, that's your fault. Proper delegation isn't shirking your job onto someone else, it's hacking of smaller but still important things so you can focus on what you can do and also keep in mind the big picture stuff.

Ideally.

El_TigroX

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
Worst managers I've seen often haven't learned that they will benefit from the action of the team vs trying to ensure they get credit.

delegation is hard, it's a skill to learn, and then you need to turn around and give credit to your team. If you don't elevate people, they will leave - you benefit dramatically when you're seen as someone that can build teams and talent and then set them loose to get the rewards of it.

Extra Sauce

Oct 27, 2017
When you delegate, you're still responsible for what you hand out because if you delegate incorrectly, that's your fault. Proper delegation isn't shirking your job onto someone else, it's hacking of smaller but still important things so you can focus on what you can do and also keep in mind the big picture stuff.

Ideally.

I was being facetious but the added nuance is appreciated.

FenninRo

alt account
Banned
Nov 13, 2019

Ideally.

Exactly. A good manager isn't going to throw his or her team under the bus when something goes wrong.

Deleted member 48434

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 8, 2018
Sydney
Flat hierarchies are god damn awful. Always the idea of those who are headstrong and hate taking orders, and fail to realize not everyone is like them. This seemed to be tried back in 2002, back when I think Google was considered progressive. They like to think that they will do their company a favor, and everyone will be independent and everything will work out well because they won't be stifled by authority, but many people (like me) need the direction of a good leader to corral and guide them, otherwise they run about like headless chickens. Hell, I'm near useless without being directed.

Witness

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hartford, CT
If I want to be a better manager, is there any good reading for that? Other than the Google study in the OP.

There are tons of Ted Talks and books on the subject. Many companies also do webinars regularly about leadership. I'm currently reading 'Helping People Change' and its about the science of positive emotional attractors. I also highly recommend Emotional Intelligence 2.0. Your time spent working on your leadership skills is well worth the investment because you owe it to your employees to continuously improve.

Also, watch this for inspiration.

Bigwombat

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
I've managed and had horrible managers/owners at several jobs.

Currently the place I work at the owner is a nice guy but a horrible manager. Small business with no direction for the employees. Wants people with "new ideas" but when presented with new ideas they always get shot down. People have zero motivation there and it's cause they have no will to try anymore. It's sad really. Like depressing sad.

EPaul

Oct 30, 2017
Feeling like posting this article at work but i can anticipate the backlash being not worth it

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
You mean holding weekly one on ones to obsessively go over metrics isn't effective?

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I used to be director of a department in a company with like 6000 employees. About 800 of our employees were in the head office with the rest being at our retail locations around Asia. My direct boss was the chairman of the company. He was the epitome of a micromanager. Nothing could ever get done without his approval. Nothing at all. I don't even know why he had directors and managers and teams under him, because every department was his. Every day he would go around the head office and lead meetings and do training and be hands on with every project no matter how big or small. It sounds good maybe, to have a leader so involved, but it just means everyone sits around waiting for him everyday because no one else in the company has any authority whatsoever. We had no agency to get things done. He would delegate tasks to my department, I'd relay it on to my staff, divvy up teams, set targets, etc... but none of it mattered because he'd come down and change everything anyway. So my purpose was just As a figurehead I guess. That's how it was with every department, it wasn't cuz I was useless, it was because he didn't trust anyone and thought only his ideas and ways were the correct ones. Even if he told me step by step exactly what he wanted done and how to do it, I'd take it to my team and get started, then, he'd come and tell us all the exact same thing and waste hours of our day just so we could hear him talk. He loved the sound of his own voice. Because of this we all constantly worked overtime because nothing was ever started til he said so and nothing was ever done til he said so as well. So glad I'm gone from that company.