• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Vanillalite

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

PS: Is the Pixel tablet line really dead if nobody bought one to begin with?

QzgL7H5.gif

easter

Nov 15, 2017
Just means they're committing to the Pixelbook line. Makes sense to me as it is a great form factor and an awesome device.

Oct 30, 2017
Android tablets never really got past that "it's a giant phone!" phase of their life. There's certainly a place for android tablets, but I'm not quite sure what it is yet.

WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Android tablets are abandonware in large part because of Google.

They never bothered to make the Android experience even close to that of an iPad (who likes Android phone apps made for a 5-6 inch screen stretched to 9-10 inches?), and they did not have the hook that Windows tablets were able to use (it runs desktop apps!).

And then they kept dropping the ball with their hardware.

opticalmace

Oct 27, 2017
I like the Pixel phones but it's iPad all day every day. The last android tablet I had was a Nexus 7 in like... 2012?

WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Most laptops nowadays can be used like Tablets but have the power of an actual laptop so there's no point in making a dedicated tablet.

Its like how the iPhone killed the iPod pretty much.

Tablets killed the idea of the home personal computer for so many; if they bought a computer for email, browsing the web, watching videos, sharing photos and such, then the tablet essentially made it obsolete. It was a device without the issues of a laptop/home computer (fan cooling, viruses, driver issues, needing to have your kids as tech support, etc).

The laptop is more for people who need something for work or school nowadays, with the 2 in 1 design or Surface-style designs made to be more approachable, but they still suffer from the same issues as above.

Technically, Android tablets can fill that need, but they are really poor at it and lack support.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Android tablets are abandonware in large part because of Google.

They never bothered to make the Android experience even close to that of an iPad (who likes Android phone apps made for a 5-6 inch screen stretched to 9-10 inches?), and they did not have the hook that Windows tablets were able to use (it runs desktop apps!).

And then they kept dropping the ball with their hardware.
Yeah that is why I went ahead and brought a windows 2 in 1. My samsung galaxy tab was done

Gallows Bat

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
The only good android tablets now come from China. I literally only use my tablet for reading but I still miss Sony's tablets. Reading in the bath on a 10 inch display just isn't possible now right?

Deleted member 925

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Most laptops nowadays can be used like Tablets but have the power of an actual laptop so there's no point in making a dedicated tablet.

Its like how the iPhone killed the iPod pretty much.

The new iPad Pros are just as powerful if not more so than a lot of laptops on the market. Mine has replaced a laptop, but if you're on Android there's no clear vision.

Autumn

Avenger
Apr 1, 2018
The Nexus 7 was great. Their products are just too expensive. Outside an iPad most people are not going to spend more than $250 on a tablet.

JudgeN

Oct 25, 2017
This is not a good look, looks like my huawei mediapad m5 might be my last android tablet , mostly because no one makes them anymore.

Deleted member 25600

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I guess if we're getting into folding phone territory tablets don't make much sense?

It does annoy me that there's almost no decent android tablets about though. My xperia z2 tablet just died and I have no options for a replacement.

Oct 25, 2017
Google literally had no idea what to do with tablets.

I don't think anybody did, but luckily cash registers were a hostage market so I guess they found their place in the end.

at some point tablets and laptops are going to be the same thing

For Windows they have been for years. Apple keeps stringing things along but it pretty damn obvious they're just really late to the party (because why sell one device when you can sell 2), USB ports, iPad OS, project Catalyst etc are all moving to the inevitable conclusion. Google's strategy is a mess but maybe Fuchsia will actually merge them (even though they are probably going to 3rd pillar it because there's no unified vision). Probably the only thing that won't go that direction is the Kindle Fire (but it's starting to become some sort of detachable smart display).

AndreGX

GameXplain
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
San Francisco
This annoys me, because the OG Pixel 7 was bloody fantastic. It seems everyone loved it. Perfect size, comfortable form factor, and a great price, yet Google abandoned it for some reason. Ugh

BoosterDuck

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is a huge shame because Google has made great strides towards turning ChromeOS into a tablet-friendly OS.

I guess this means Microsoft has their work cut out for them to make their CoreOS a true iPad competitor.

LQX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if it was a shock to Google their tablets priced as high as laptops failed. Lol.

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017
RIP. I remember when Android Honeycomb came out, I bought an Asus Transformer. That was in the first generation of Android tablets. It seemed so cool and novel.

I type this now from an iPad Pro. Such is life.

Oct 28, 2017
Tablets don't have the same incentive to replace every two years like phones. Apple was way ahead of android tablets and took the market. At this point, they've owned the market for so long that the support is so one-sided.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I felt like the moderate success of the Surface Pro more or less killed the difference between laptops and tablets.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
The thing about Android is that there is no ecosystem that holds everything together, like there is with iOS. With Apple's ecosystem, all their stuff play well together (and shitty with everything else) and synergize so that you can start working on one Apple device and then move seamlessly to your others devices.

But Android? There really isn't anything like that. Google's stuff is platform agnostic, so you're just as well off with a Surface than you would be with an Android tablet. Better, even.

Nif

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The slate looked interesting, and I was in the market for a tablet, but it was just too expensive. I also had doubts that the Chromebook interface would fit a tablet focused device.

MajesticSoup

Banned
Feb 22, 2019
Android tablets - bigger android screens with slow as hell 5 year old Qualcomm chips, or even worse intel chips.
Apple tablets - 5 year old ipad mini is still as useable as ever.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
I was soooooo close to buying their first tablet... Original Pixel C, before everything else got called Pixel. It had the Nvidia Tegra X1 chip.

thebishop

Banned
Nov 10, 2017

As is almost always the case when Google "kills" a project: they're delivering the same service in a different configuration. So instead of adapting Android to be suitable for tablets, they've made ChromeOS and Chromebooks suitable as touch-hybrids. They even run Android apps ffs.

HP_Chromebook_x2_FrontLeft_Detached_copy.0.jpg

If we go by the real history of Google projects, there's more likely to be multiple overlapping ways to stream games than the entire gaming initiative getting cancelled.

Mack

Banned
May 30, 2019
Who the heck would want to use an Android tablet, when we have iPads and upcoming iPadOS?