• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
When multiples of those publishers are working on their own competing streaming services soon to launch this is a great great strategy.

I'm certain the publishers are in a hurry to announce new games for your service Google.

This. Most major AAA publishers are looking to create their own streaming ecosystem. They'd love nothing more than to break free of platform holders so they can have total control over the publishing chain and not have to give a cut to anyone.

The gaming future is going to look a lot like the TV/Movie streaming market, with multiple companies offering subscription services to stream their library of IPs. Expect to have to subscribe to multiple publishers to have access to the same amount of games as you have on a single platform today. Your wallets will suffer greatly and publishers could not be happier about it!

SJRB

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
This whole situation has been a failure on a catastrophic level.

I mean, people will write essays on everything that went wrong with this launch.

what the hell was Google thinking? Are they really this daft? They have [arguably] the biggest data lake in the entire world at their disposal; how could they not see this coming?

This entire ordeal just blows my mind. And I honestly feel super bad for people who bought this shit, and mid- and low level devs working on this. They probably saw this coming from a mile away.

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
giphy.gif

Bleu

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
Everybody : What about infrastructure and lag and quotas?
Google : it's up to the isps to solve this problem..
Everybody : *laughs*
Everybody : What about nO GamEs ?
Google : We leave it up to the publishers..

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Everybody : What about infrastructure and lag and quotas?
Google : it's up to the isps to solve this problem..
Everybody : What about nO GamEs ?
Google : We leave it up to the publishers..

Everybody : What about games not being in 4K as advertised?
Google : We leave it up to the developers...

This is the best sitcom I've seen all year!

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
Stadia has set back consumer attitudes to streaming by several years already. Which is frustrating, because streaming works... Google are just awful at being anything even approaching accountable platform owners.

Kanhir

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Stadia has set back consumer attitudes to streaming by several years already. Which is frustrating, because streaming works... Google are just awful at being anything even approaching accountable platform owners.
This is the most frustrating part. I was a sceptic, but I've been using it since launch and I am fully a convert. It is actually witchcraft how good the technology works.

However, Google still seems to be at the conceptual stage and aren't really building a proper platform or doing any outreach to bring in players. It's giving the platform (and the overall streaming concept) bad publicity, and ensuring that the current player base will evaporate as soon as they have to pay for it.

I really wish they'd partnered with another company (e.g. Microsoft/Nvidia) and provided their infrastructure as the backend for PS Now/xCloud/GeForce Now, rather than trying to create their own platform from scratch with no experience in the industry.
A reputable gaming company armed with Google's streaming technology would have led to a platform with a lot more of an impact than this damp squib of a launch.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
I really wish they'd partnered with another company (e.g. Microsoft/Nvidia) and provided their infrastructure as the backend for PS Now/xCloud/GeForce Now, rather than trying to create their own platform from scratch with no experience in the industry.
A reputable gaming company armed with Google's streaming technology would have led to a platform with a lot more of an impact than this damp squib of a launch.
I get where you're coming from, but the actual streaming part of streaming - i.e. getting decent video quality and minimal input lag - is probably the easiest problem to solve, so Google wouldn't really have had much to offer the competition there. If anything, Stadia is a prime example of how small a piece of the puzzle even the most astounding technical wizardry is when it comes to launching a sustainable platform of any sort in 2020.

The issue seems to be that Google (or Alphabet) is still an engineer / developer-led company, and once the engineering problem is 'solved' they shift projects into maintenance mode. You simply can't do that with what's supposed to be a curated storefront and an entirely new, nascent way of playing games that's going to evolve over time.

It says a lot that the best streaming platform in my mind is Shadow, primarily because it doesn't try to be a storefront as well.

2PiR

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
how wonder how much it cost them to keep this platform running. Can't imagine them profiting from this any time soon. So exactly when will they give up