• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Neat

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Google has responded to community complaints regarding a continued lack of solid information around promised features and new releases for its Stadia streaming platform, arguing that game announcements are the responsibility of individual publishers.

The company's latest defence appears to have be spurred on by an extremely active thread posted to the official Stadia subreddit earlier this week, highlighting the fact that 40 days had passed without much in the way of a solid update from Google.

Specifically, its author called out the fact that there were still no details on any of the 120 Stadia games Google claimed it was "tracking" for a 2020 release earlier this month, still no word on Stadia's iOS app, still no word on family sharing, still no word on Stadia's free Base service, and at least an additional two-month wait for Stadia's previously promised 4K browser support, Assistant functionality, and true wireless controller support.

Stadia community manager GraceFromGoogle responded to thread participants, writing, "All the concerns you've brought to the table are completely valid, and I understand where your frustrations are coming from. Nobody likes to be left in the dark. While I don't have product updates to share right at this second, I can promise you that I have been, and will continue taking feedback posted to r/Stadia and other channels."

Just as the reddit thread picked up more and more steam, Google announced that Gylt and Metro Exodus would be coming to Stadia Pro. Whether this was a coincidence or a response from the growing criticism, I'll leave that to you guys to decide. More importantly though, they released an official statement afterwards.

"We leave it up to the publishers to make the announcement about their IP/games, and which platforms it will appear on," it said in its statement, "just as we will do with the exclusive content coming to Stadia."

"There are a lot of reasons for the time of those game announcements," the company continued, "anything from planned promotions or events, title readiness, proximity to first playable demo, shareholder requirements, etc. We continue to work closely with our publishing and developing partners and are here to support them in all areas."

Concluding its statement, Google wrote, "We are excited to share more about some of the exclusive games coming to Stadia soon."

Good enough or not enough?

More at the link:
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...nts-around-lack-of-solid-stadia-announcements

shark97

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
i just want to try out the free service already. destiny on any device (if that support ever comes, i guess) would be neat. the ability to triple a game on any crappy chromebook or laptop also seems inevitable.

i dont think the service will gain much traction prior to the free service.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
We leave it up to the publishers to make the announcement about their IP/games, and which platforms it will appear on," it said in its statement, "just as we will do with the exclusive content coming to Stadi

This is literally baffling. No one else does this. The rest is more of the "we hear you" but didn't actually provide anything of substance that would satiate anyone's concerns. And that makes sense, because its clear they don't really understand what theyre doing in this market.

Snarfington

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Stadia works, like, really well.

They're fucking every single other thing about it up, and that's a huge shame.

crimilde

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 26, 2017
"We leave it up to the publishers to make the announcement about their IP/games, and which platforms it will appear on," it said in its statement, "just as we will do with the exclusive content coming to Stadia."

Imagine being a platform-holder and leaving it completely to the publishers to promote your platform. What the hell.

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
Is anything stopping them from making use of games that are whitelisted on Wine / Proton to boost their game library?

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
Interesting but that would only make sense if these games are new releases, which I didn't think they are.

M4xim1l1ano

Oct 29, 2017
Santiago, Stockholm, Vienna
People are thirsty for info, no matter if it's Ps5 or Stadia..

Both companies has their plans already. Doesn't mean it is good but they are acting on an idea/strategy they concocted some time ago.

but I still think that Stadia needed more time in the oven before releasing.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
Stadia works, like, really well.

They're fucking every single other thing about it up, and that's a huge shame.

A shame? Perhaps, but only for a short while.
In 10 months, PS Now and XCloud will exist as a (most likely) vastly superior service.
More games, (most likely) superior visuals and cross play with a wider population. Cheaper games, most likely.

at that point, you'd have better options that scratch the Itch for game streaming.

Devilgunman

Oct 27, 2017

Just how incompetent these people can be? This is not how a platform holder handle their console. You want to sell your shit? Then advertise every single game on it. Have they ever seen how MS/Sony/Nintendo do announcement? They show both multiplat and exclusive contents coming to their consoles. The more games the better.

Tunesmith

Fraud & Player Security
Verified
Oct 25, 2017

When multiples of those publishers are working on their own competing streaming services soon to launch this is a great great strategy.

I'm certain the publishers are in a hurry to announce new games for your service Google.

FlintSpace

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I am surprised people are passionate about Stadia to create these threads on Reddit and stuff.

People left Ouya to die. It's the companies responsibility to attract & cater to me, not the other way around.

I am cold because we are 10 years too early for streaming games in my country.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
I wouldn't know, if they do they're not as loud as PS4 Pro fans.

tenor.gif

Deleted member 33515

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 17, 2017
i just want to try out the free service already. destiny on any device (if that support ever comes, i guess) would be neat. the ability to triple a game on any crappy chromebook or laptop also seems inevitable.

i dont think the service will gain much traction prior to the free service.
Destiny 2 on stadia is terrible. It was the main reason for me to return the founder's package and get a refund.

thisismadness

Oct 25, 2017
This is pretty much how Google does. For a company that has built a trillion dollar business on selling ads and farming user data -- its shocking how bad they are at marketing their own products.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am surprised people are passionate about Stadia to create these threads on Reddit and stuff.

People left Ouya to die. It's the companies responsibility to attract & cater to me, not the other way around.

I am cold because we are 10 years too early for streaming games in my country.
Just like ouya Stadia was hyped up as the console killer by some.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Yikes.

I don't think they're going to kill it. Just let it slowly die with no fanfare or support.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
I would hate to be the community manger. "Well I know you're all upset and I complete understand why. It's unfortunate I have no real power or authority to tell you anything definitive. But my employment contract requires me to take the bullet and say something. So please, direct all your complaints towards me".

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
I think a lot of publishers likely dropped or backed out support for Stadia. I imagine the amount of units sold on games are rather dire, and not worth the resources and support put into it, which could go towards something else (example: borderlands 3 on Stadia, which nearly four months behind on updates compared to PC and console).

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017
Maybe I'm just used to consoles actually looking like they have a future, but Stadia's whole "we aren't the ones who will announce the games" stance is just baffling.

I mean it's probably not actually all that different from what anyone else is doing in practice, but to say it so blatantly makes it sound like they have zero power over what's releasing. They should be showing off all these upcoming games and how you can grab them on Stadia and not have to worry about PC Upgrades or next gen consoles or any of that. But instead it's just a shrug.

Raziel

Alt Account
Banned
May 28, 2019
Deep down I wished that it would be good. Good that I had exams and didn't have time to play therefore didn't buy