• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 17184

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Until recently, I was seriously considering moving to Android. But Apple's policies on privacy and this are convincing me. I know it's not due to any good-will and I still have issues with some of their choices, but this is way more important than my issues.

Lidl

Dec 12, 2017
Is this an app-only deal? Keep seeing posts about a browser version possibly coming into the picture which says to me it's not a thing already. Follow-up question, would this just prevent new users, or also make the app unusable?
Yeah, banning the app won't prevent people from accessing the service through the browser. Theoretically Apple and Google could block the url on OS level, but they wouldn't do that.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
Oh no poor them, monopolistic entities suppressing the speech of fringe minorities, what is this, the very thing they're trying to achieve?

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
2GU.gif
He is hacking the planet!

Damaniel

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
This isn't going to slow them down much on Android given the built in ability to download and install apps from outside of the Play Store, but a solid move nonetheless.

Unless they have a web version, this significantly hampers new users from interacting with the network.

It's just like sticking a lock on a door - you're not trying to 100% guarantee that people can't come in, you're trying to make it difficult and inconvenient. Most people aren't going to sideload a shady app to access Parler, and anything that slows down the spread can only be a good thing. Besides, where else are they going to advertise that app if they can't post on traditional social media?

EDIT: I see Twitter finally did their job. Fuck off, Trump.

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
I understand removing the apps from iOS and Android are a way to deplatform these idiots, but they make it sound like deleting the Facebook app stops you from using Chrome or just another browser to log in to the web version of the site and keep using it. What would Parler lose if they tell their userbase of morons to just log in to the site using a browser? A full deplatform would be their web hosts dropping their service/contract with them, right?

I'm fully uneducated on the subject, but felt like asking about this.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
It's "ok" to have (certain conservative views, but joining Parler crosses that line into fringe nutso territory. It literally only exists as shadow Twitter for cretins that can't stay within Twitter's very lax ToS.

Chris Pratt, no, stop.

Spork4000

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
This isn't going to slow them down much on Android given the built in ability to download and install apps from outside of the Play Store, but a solid move nonetheless.

Unless they have a web version, this significantly hampers new users from interacting with the network.

It'll slow them down enough, not many older people will figure that one out.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
Oh no hosting terrorists openly discussing how they will perform terrorism is bad????????///??

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
how the fuck is this still on play and ios? wtf, this app should have been taken off both months ago

Lidl

Dec 12, 2017
parler is either gonna:

- try and clean up asap, banning a shitton of their users and pissing off their entire base

or

- play into the base instead, saying they won't follow apples guidelines, and therefor get banned from itunes and likely google play store

honestly, its a win-win either way

jNEwhD9.png

All aboard Dan's Ark.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
If he were smart, he would've used the POTUS account since they weren't going to ban that.

I do wonder how this fares for the POTUS retweets of his personal account given the archival transition that's going to happen on the 20th.
It's just like sticking a lock on a door - you're not trying to 100% guarantee that people can't come in, you're trying to make it difficult and inconvenient. Most people aren't going to sideload a shady app to access Parler, and anything that slows down the spread can only be a good thing. Besides, where else are they going to advertise that app if they can't post on traditional social media?

EDIT: I see Twitter finally did their job. Fuck off, Trump.

It'll slow them down enough, not many older people will figure that one out.
The younger people will end up figuring it out, and if Parler posts instructions on the site on how to do it, everyone will have a guide.

But I agree with anything that will slow down the radicalization.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Please be gone by the time I go to bed tonight. Don't even give them time to fake cleaning up. They're not honestly changing their minds.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
Chris Pratts timing is impeccable

Unless I'm missing something it says he joined in July, and that's the only post he's ever made. I became aware of Parler about a month ago, was it known as a fringe shithole in July?

Hopefully they do this within the next few days, it's unreal it's allowed right now. I have no idea how the process of removing an app from the store works, but if possible they should immediately suspend it while reviewing whether it merits permanent removal. If they're worried about public perception it would not be hard at all to point out the many calls for violence on the platform.

Trouble

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle-ish

ChrisD

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Unless I'm missing something it says he joined in July, and that's the only post he's ever made. I became aware of Parler about a month ago, was it known as a fringe shithole in July?
I say this without meaning to reference a meme: Always has been. Wanna say it was made because of Twitter "stamping out their freedom of speech"

Keuja

Oct 27, 2017
If you do this Apple, I'll go buy an iPhone 12 pro in the day.
This is just me giving myself a justification to try one.

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
If he were smart, he would've used the POTUS account since they weren't going to ban that.

I do wonder how this fares for the POTUS retweets of his personal account given the archival transition that's going to happen on the 20th.

Twitter should give the POTUS handle to the Biden admin early. Not just because it's a smart thing to do to not have Trump tweet from it but also because it would further crush Trump's soul that he couldn't use it.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
It was created specifically to be a fringe shithole.
It was a fringe shithole from inception.
It was designed from the jump to be a fringe shithole.
I say this without meaning to reference a meme: Always has been. Wanna say it was made because of Twitter "stamping out their freedom of speech"

Fair enough. I'm not going to defend Pratt, it's known that he has extremely conservative views. Just didn't seem fair to say his "timing is impeccable" when he joined months ago. Anyone who joins now is clearly doing so to protest Twitter's moderation of calls for violence, but like I said, I wasn't sure if it was widely known as being as extreme as it is now back in July.

Sounds like it was.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017

All them olds on there aren't gonna be able to figure that out on Android.