• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Death Penalty

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Okay, but isn't more money being invested in games still good for us and the industry? Especially when most of us will have instant access, and no hardware costs.

if MS or Sony bought the exclusivity many ppl would be locked out. In this case almost everyone can play these games.

I'm not a Stadia fanboy, but I don't see what we have to lose. It seems like a win win situation for gamers.
- You need to buy the Stadia controller.

- Stadia has been shown to often be an inferior experience to traditional gaming.

- MS or Sony buying exclusivity also sucks.

I find your take pretty lacking.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
Who honestly likes timed exclusives ?
First party exclusives are fair (for as long as we have multiple platforms), but this just irritates me.
All exclusives suck. It used to say least make technical sense as first parties took advantage of their unique hardware but now the boxes are pretty much clones of each other

Charpunk

Oct 25, 2017
Stadia base doesn't exist yet, so, correct.

Stadia eats network bandwidth, is plagued with inferior ports and has demonstrable input lag. This has been attested to by plenty of outlets, so also correct.

Sorry Stadia sucks.

You don't need the Stadia controller. You can use most controllers with pc (phones as well) if you get a buddy pass for someone right now.

Works fine for me and many others.

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
... sigh.

"60% higher than their initial forecast" is a statement that you should not base a discussion on about whether the strategy was successful or not.
Their initial forecast was made with the plan of buying only few exclusives, handing out around 15 free games and having no deep sales or discounts.
If you change your strategy mid year and increase your budget by a lot - you should really expect to outmatch your original forecast, don't you think?

Wait, so what you are trying to say here is that EPIC had an initial forecast, they then greatly increased the budget but left the forecast the same? Is that what you are trying to say? Because if that is the case I would really like to see proof of that, because companies don't just randomly increase budgets without also changing the forecast. If a company has a forecast of growing 5% after investing 5 millions in advertising, they don't just say we will now invest 40 million without also modifying the forecast, just so they can say "we were able to surpass our forecast". That doesn't make any sense.

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
This is exactly what the term "initial forecast" implies. Correct.

- Third party game revenue is $251m and 60% higher than forecast.

I really need to understand where are you getting that they had an initial forecast, that was left the same after increasing the budget. You are implying that they changed their mind half way about how much money they would invest, greatly increased the budget, but left the forecast the same. Where is the source for this?

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
This is exactly what the term "initial forecast" implies. Correct.
No it's not; they clearly are referring to their revenue forecast.

Whether they increased their spending more than they planned is not known.

They are claiming to have made 60% more revenue than forecasted. It's definitely an incomplete picture of the numbers.. but that's kinda how it goes, especially with a privately held company like Epic.

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
Comparing these timed exclusives with the epic store makes absolutely no sense. Stadia forcing these games on their platform is significantly worse.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Whether they increased their spending more than they planned is not known.
We know that they increased their spending. Paying for additional exclusives, 50 more freebies or spending 23 million dollar on $10 coupons doesn't come for free.
But let's not derail this topic.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
We know that they increased their spending. Paying for additional exclusives, 50 more freebies or spending 23 million dollar on $10 coupons doesn't come for free.
But let's not derail this topic.
You have no clue what their budget was for those expenditures, or whether they even had a clearly defined budget.

They could have had a pool of money and then shifted it around in different ways throughout that year.. they could have massively increased that budget.. they could have spent UNDER their budget. We don't "know" anything; and hell since they aren't publicly traded it's difficult to even "know" if what they are saying about their forecast has much merit.

Pheace

Aug 23, 2018
Incorrect.

Incorrect.

Correct.
Wait, as a PC player I take offense to the second one. Stadia may not always compare badly to some of the consoles but let's not kid ourselves that it is in any way equivalent to what traditional (local) play is capable of, it really isn't.

I'm going to assume you were only talking about the consoles :p

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
...that is just going to piss people off and push them to dislike yall google. Again, these dumb asses should have invested in their own exclusives that would have been ready by launch or year 1/2. Jesus.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
You have no clue what their budget was for those expenditures, or whether they even had a clearly defined budget.

They could have had a pool of money and then shifted it around in different ways throughout that year.. they could have massively increased that budget.. they could have spent UNDER their budget. We don't "know" anything; and hell since they aren't publicly traded it's difficult to even "know" if what they are saying about their forecast has much merit.
A forecast is based on a) the budget you're planning with and b) your defined goal. You can't create a forecast without planning your budget or goals. If you drastically change one of the two parameters mid-year but still compare your result to the original forecast: that factor becomes pretty much useless. But anyway, again, let's not derail this.

Mexen

Oct 26, 2017
The only reason I want Stadia to succeed is to see the effect on the industry. (._. )

Nif

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
More money going towards making games isn't a bad thing. Puts developers and smaller studios in higher demand.

The part where there's no up front costs to get into stadia means anyone can still play if they don't want to wait.

Pheace

Aug 23, 2018
The part where there's no up front costs to get into stadia means anyone can still play if they don't want to wait.
Not until Base is out, not if they have caps, or their speeds suck, or they're in a country where it's simply not available, or if they want to play in a quality above 1080p.

Aesthet1c

Oct 27, 2017
I seriously don't understand the hate against Stadia sometimes.

Everyone is mad because they launched with no games and 1 exclusive. Now they are announcing 10 launch exclusives by July, and 120 games by the end of the year, and people are somehow mad at this announcement?

Not until Base is out, not if they have caps, or their speeds suck, or they're in a country where it's simply not available, or if they want to play in a quality above 1080p.
This is the kind of argument people made about Netflix 10 years ago and look where they are now. Yes Google's got work to do, but the tech works really well, maybe not for everyone everywhere, but that's something that can easily evolve over the next couple of years.

GamingRobioto

May 18, 2018
Exeter, UK
Oh yeah, Stadia exists. They could have all the games in the world and I still wouldn't be interested, well I probably would a bit... but you get what I mean .

Pheace

Aug 23, 2018
This is the kind of argument people made about Netflix 10 years ago and look where they are now. Yes Google's got work to do, but the tech works really well, maybe not for everyone everywhere, but that's something that can easily evolve over the next couple of years.
It working well for plenty of people doesn't change not everyone will be able to play a game exclusive to Stadia at this point. Many people won't be able to. I also didn't quite follow Netflix that closely but how many exclusives did they get that hadn't been available in any other way and/or they didn't develop themselves? Probably still could've gone to the movies or bought a DVD in most cases I assume? Exclusive to Stadia is Stadia or bust, zero other options.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
Okay, but isn't more money being invested in games still good for us and the industry? Especially when most of us will have instant access, and no hardware costs.

if MS or Sony bought the exclusivity many ppl would be locked out. In this case almost everyone can play these games.

I'm not a Stadia fanboy, but I don't see what we have to lose. It seems like a win win situation for gamers.

What gamers have to lose is their game collection when Google shuts Stadia down.

ImaLawy3r

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 6, 2019
Stadia base doesn't exist yet, so, correct.

Stadia eats network bandwidth, is plagued with inferior ports and has demonstrable input lag. This has been attested to by plenty of outlets, so also correct.

Sorry Stadia sucks.
- Misleading instead of incorrect? If you're a founder or a premeire edition buyer, you are buying access to Stadia Pro which includes 3 months of Pro, Discounted games, free games which they have offered since its release, Destiny 2 with the annual pass, a chromecast ultra, and a Stadia controller. However, you don't need the chromecast ultra or the controller to play - it just comes bundled with the above.

- Stadia eats network bandwidth - correct. However, it is not plagued with inferior ports. Input lag has been incredible. It's been attested to a outlets that are often loud, but not necessarily correct. That WashingtonPost reviewer was blatantly terrible at his job. Paul Tassi corrected his view of the situation. Just because certain outlets are saying these things are happening doesn't mean it's true, it could certainly mean they are just click baiting.

- Sorry, Stadia is pretty awesome.

ImaLawy3r

Banned
Jun 6, 2019
It working well for plenty of people doesn't change not everyone will be able to play a game exclusive to Stadia at this point. Many people won't be able to. I also didn't quite follow Netflix that closely but how many exclusives did they get that hadn't been available in any other way and/or they didn't develop themselves? Probably still could've gone to the movies or bought a DVD in most cases I assume? Exclusive to Stadia is Stadia or bust, zero other options.
Just like many people won't be able to play Nintendo Exclusives unless they buy it. Or Sony exclusives. This argument can't work only one way. Also, many people will be able to play Stadia exclusives once Stadia Base is released. You just buy the game, and play it anywhere with Chrome....

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
Didn't Ubi say they love supporting new platforms from Day 1? And weren't they in the red last year after Breakpoint flopped?

I can see a 6-months Stadia exclusivity window for a new AssCreed.

Dylan

Oct 28, 2017
Glad to see this thread can be included in the vast collection of "People who have never tried Stadia telling people who have tried Stadia that it's terrible." threads.

Pheace

Aug 23, 2018
Just like many people won't be able to play Nintendo Exclusives unless they buy it. Or Sony exclusives. This argument can't work only one way. Also, many people will be able to play Stadia exclusives once Stadia Base is released. You just buy the game, and play it anywhere with Chrome....
What part of simply not having the option to do that is too difficult to grasp? It is not the same argument.

You can't buy the game if you do not live in a region Stadia is currently offered in. You can't play the game if your only ISP providers come with datacaps or you're still in a contract with one.

And yes, one of my arguments was base which is why I said 'not until' on that one because we have no idea when it's coming, it wasn't mentioned in the 3 month roadmap yet but the timed exclusives were. OMD is timed exclusive for spring which could be within the 3 month window. We don't even know if base will be out when it comes out (though I'm more forgiving on OMD because Google helped fund it)

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
Didn't Ubi say they love supporting new platforms from Day 1? And weren't they in the red last year after Breakpoint flopped?

I can see a 6-months Stadia exclusivity window for a new AssCreed.
If Ubi doesn't want to be even farther in the red, they won't make the new AC timed exclusive to Stadia.

ImaLawy3r

Banned
Jun 6, 2019
Cool, mind if I ask you some other questions about the future?

I'm not hoping for its demise, I'm making a sound prediction based on Google's history.
Cool, what's Google's history? And before you post killedbygoogle - go to that site and make sure you go through everything that was either consolidated to a different project, merged, etc.

And while we are at it - Google history of success not limited to the following but includes: Google Search (Most used search engine in the world, Google Maps (doesn't get better than this), Android (largest mobile OS in the world), Gmail, YouTube, Android Auto, and Google Assistant.

Things they can improve on and haven't abandoned even though the numbers are not as great compared to the competition? AWS and Azure vs GCP; their Pixel Line, Chromebooks, Android TV

I'm sure I'm missing a lot of stuff. And sure they have killed things, but it pales in comparison to the things that have been successful.

ImaLawy3r

Banned
Jun 6, 2019
What part of simply not having the option to do that is too difficult to grasp? It is not the same argument.

You can't buy the game if you do not live in a region Stadia is currently offered in. You can't play the game if your only ISP providers come with datacaps or you're still in a contract with one.

And yes, one of my arguments was base which is why I said 'not until' on that one because we have no idea when it's coming, it wasn't mentioned in the 3 month roadmap yet but the timed exclusives were. OMD is timed exclusive for spring which is within the 3 month window. We don't even know if base will be out when it comes out (though I'm more forgiving on OMD because Google helped fund it)

The region and datacap things are certainly true, but I won't imagine it'll be a barrier for long. Things need to start somewhere.

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
Cool, what's Google's history? And before you post killedbygoogle - go to that site and make sure you go through everything that was either consolidated to a different project, merged, etc.

And while we are at it - Google history of success not limited to the following but includes: Google Search (Most used search engine in the world, Google Maps (doesn't get better than this), Android (largest mobile OS in the world), Gmail, YouTube, Android Auto, and Google Assistant.

Things they can improve on and haven't abandoned even though the numbers are not as great compared to the competition? AWS and Azure vs GCP; their Pixel Line, Chromebooks, Android TV

I'm sure I'm missing a lot of stuff. And sure they have killed things, but it pales in comparison to the things that have been successful.
I get you're a huge Google fanboy, but it's totally okay to be weary, have criticisms and concerns for Stadia.

Uhyve

Oct 25, 2017
I've never understood this huge market that apparently exists that wants to play games, but can't afford to buy a console, but can afford to pay for full MSRP games and also happens to have an uncapped 20mbps internet connection for some reason.

The reality is, there are people that won't be able to play these games due to location and acting like Stadia is opening doors for poor people to play games is disingenuous.

Edit: Just for the record, I don't really care about having to wait a few extra months to play something, it's the messaging from Google and it's fans that bothers me.

Last edited:

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
I've never understood this huge market that apparently exists that wants to play games, but can't afford to buy a console, but can afford to pay for full MSRP games and also happens to have an uncapped 20mbps internet connection for some reason.

The reality is, there are people that won't be able to play these games due to location and acting like Stadia is opening doors for poor people to play games is disingenuous.
It's incredibly niche. Most people who care this much about this already have a console, or can get a cheap Xbox One or PS4, especially with the missed Black Friday bundles that included games.

Jan 21, 2019
Well unless they give away free games like EGS, I'm not interested in their service and if they start giving away free games, well they aren't really mine since they have to be streamed, which I'd rather not do.

ImaLawy3r

Banned
Jun 6, 2019
I get you're a huge Google fanboy, but it's totally okay to be weary, have criticisms and concerns for Stadia.

Not a fanboy of anything. But you need to be balanced when we talk about issues. And this forum is very partisan. I have all products Apple Macbook, Samsung TVs, Xbox, Platstation and Switch, Steam account and a Pixel phone. If anything, I'm a bigger Nintendo Fan than anything else. However, when I see things that are just utterly biased, it's the Lawyer in me that comes out. Criticisms are fine and are needed. But the one-sided statements need to be confronted. Just because I'm critical of someone elses statements doesn't mean it's any less or more true. The fact that you've called me a fanboy opens yourself up to criticism as that is an ad hominem attack, versus talking about the issue. Logical fallacy at its best.

Sir_Caffeine

Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
I seriously don't understand the hate against Stadia sometimes.

Everyone is mad because they launched with no games and 1 exclusive. Now they are announcing 10 launch exclusives by July, and 120 games by the end of the year, and people are somehow mad at this announcement?

Stadia stirs up a lot of feeling. Unfortunately more negative than positive. It's been working great for me. I have two chromecast ultras, one wired in the living room and one wireless on the bedroom and TV. Everything works as advertised for me. I love the service and can't wait for more games to be available. This is the push they need to make in order to gain momentum.

Aesthet1c

Oct 27, 2017
Stadia stirs up a lot of feeling. Unfortunately more negative than positive. It's been working great for me. I have two chromecast ultras, one wired in the living room and one wireless on the bedroom and TV. Everything works as advertised for me. I love the service and can't wait for more games to be available. This is the push they need to make in order to gain momentum.

I have almost the exact same setup and I love it. It's been working really well for me, I just want more games to come to it.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
It's it easy to switch over the gamepad or do you have 2? Been debating getting another Chromecast

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
What are the chances Google will name drop some of those exclusives at GDC? Are they having a big presence there again this year?

ImaLawy3r

Banned
Jun 6, 2019
It's it easy to switch over the gamepad or do you have 2? Been debating getting another Chromecast
It's pretty each for me. Very small learning curve in terms of when the to put the controller on. Say I've been playing in my basement and I want to move to my living room. The best way to do this is to cut off my tv in the basement (you don't even need to shut stadia down). Then I'd go upstairs and cast from my phone to the living room tv. After that is when I turn the controller back on and input the code for that chromecast.