• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
Destiny 3, only on Stadia

Kill me
That would bring more players!

:P

Destiny is a good example of an improvement Stadia brings, the load times are very fast. Way faster than consoles at least. Hopefully all SSD future fixes that, my biggest gripe against Destiny

Booya_base

Oct 31, 2017
Jersey
This may not be the ideal place for this question but why in the world didn't Stadia just run off normal Windows OS instead of Linux? Wouldn't it have been a million times easier to port PC games over to it and build up a library? 120 games in a year on a 'PC-like' platform is like a joke, I had assumed it would be getting a ton of games all the time due to ease of porting originally.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Me before this news: Fuck off, Stadia

Me after this news: Fuck off, Stadia

LordBlodgett

Jan 10, 2020
Yeah, I hate this. I understand that you need exclusives to get people into your platform, I don't hate any gaming company for developing exclusives. Timed exclusives are what I hate though. You are not providing new experiences or creating new games just locking people from all platforms out from a game for a short period....Don't like it when Sony does, don't like it when Microsoft does it, don't like it when Epic does it......

LordBlodgett

Jan 10, 2020
I don't have a problem with Google, Epic, Sony, Microsoft or anyone keeping their own games exclusive, even if it's great when they chose not to

This is exactly my feeling on this. If Google was buying up some game studios or building their own to try to really create some great games to get people onboard then I would be much more likely to believe that Stadia would be around for the long term. Buying some timed exclusivity rights is a short term solution that does not really show us that you intend to make this platform long-term, not to mention is a anti-consumer move that just makes me hate them more. The crazy thing is that I think game streaming has a future, I spend a lot of money on gaming every year, and I could see myself using it to play games on my phone if done properly. I'm a great target customer, but nothing Google has done so far makes me think they are in this for the long term. From the ridiculous pricing decision (monthly subscription which gets me nothing, full price games), to the limited selection of launch games, to only supporting a very limited selection of mobile devices, to putting the games on Linux (which means game studios have to go out of their way to build a port), and now by buying timed exclusives it's just one bad decision after another.......

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You're probably the only one that I know that claims that it's bad - if you in fact have played it. The service is miles ahead of xCloud. It works incredibly well for me and I think also for most other Stadia users. What games have you tried playing? Are you a founder, buddy pass owner, premiere?
I'm a buddy pass and have played a bunch of destiny on it, some samurai showdown, tomb raider and been dissapointed constantly with it, heck destiny is the main thing I would use it for and it's very rarely reliable without some issues. I just don't see how it could ever be a case for using it over a console with the unreliably of it and i've played on anything from 175 mbps to 1 gb connections. It's just a bad service so far, I am curious how it will do once it's free because I certainly will never pay for the 4k aspect with how it runs right now.

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017
I'm starting to doubt Google even has any first party games in development.
This may not be the ideal place for this question but why in the world didn't Stadia just run off normal Windows OS instead of Linux? Wouldn't it have been a million times easier to port PC games over to it and build up a library? 120 games in a year on a 'PC-like' platform is like a joke, I had assumed it would be getting a ton of games all the time due to ease of porting originally.
I mean, Sony and Nintendo are getting ports just fine when they're running a BSD (UNIX, the OS that inspired Linux, but way less popular nowadays, especially for gaming) and a completely custom OS (likely internally named Horizon) respectively on their consoles. If third parties saw any sort of potential in Stadia the OS would be a minor issue at most.

But to answer the question more directly, Windows really wouldn't make sense for the same reason you don't see non-Microsoft consoles using it. It costs more and leaves the platform holder with far less control.

Ausroachman

Oct 27, 2017
Can they be labelled stadia exclusives if they are 2 year old games already released ?

Stadia exclusive : watchdogs 2 : cloud edition.

Pasha

Banned
Jan 27, 2018
Hooooooo boy!

Timed exclusives, we all know how much the gaming community loves those.

DonnieTC

Apr 10, 2019
I'm a buddy pass and have played a bunch of destiny on it, some samurai showdown, tomb raider and been dissapointed constantly with it, heck destiny is the main thing I would use it for and it's very rarely reliable without some issues. I just don't see how it could ever be a case for using it over a console with the unreliably of it and i've played on anything from 175 mbps to 1 gb connections. It's just a bad service so far, I am curious how it will do once it's free because I certainly will never pay for the 4k aspect with how it runs right now.
That's unfortunate. With cloud gaming comes the possibility of variability depending on several factors such as internet setup and distance to the datacenters. From my personal experience though, my Destiny 2 Stadia experience has been superior to the console version due to the 60 FPS and the extremely fast loading times (you're looking at around 30 seconds difference between starting up and getting to your ship for example). I've beat the original, Osiris, and Warmind campaigns. I've done almost all the strikes at least once and explored every planet. Pretty sure I have over 50 hours in the game right now and there's only been once where I experienced a hiccup (severe controller lag that lasted a few minutes) on the hours I've spent playing it on my CCU and laptop. Honestly my experience (which is purely my own) has been great and it's stuff like this that makes me think more about using Stadia. This is also coming from a guy who lives in a smallish town in Arkansas.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
I play Destiny almost daily and it runs amazingly, go on Reddit and people reporting the same thing with much slower speeds.

It will come down to your home network and distance from a data center

Booya_base

Oct 31, 2017
Jersey
I'm starting to doubt Google even has any first party games in development.

I mean, Sony and Nintendo are getting ports just fine when they're running a BSD (UNIX, the OS that inspired Linux, but way less popular nowadays, especially for gaming) and a completely custom OS (likely internally named Horizon) respectively on their consoles. If third parties saw any sort of potential in Stadia the OS would be a minor issue at most.

But to answer the question more directly, Windows really wouldn't make sense for the same reason you don't see non-Microsoft consoles using it. It costs more and leaves the platform holder with far less control.
Thanks very much for the reply, I had wondered about that for a while.

Pheace

Aug 23, 2018
my Destiny 2 Stadia experience has been superior to the console version due to the 60 FPS and the extremely fast loading times (you're looking at around 30 seconds difference between starting up and getting to your ship for example).
I imagine this depends on the usecase. I can't speak for Destiny 2 but I read a lot about people having to go through the game's login every time they start up Stadia. When I start up my PS4 I hear a beep and a couple of seconds later I'm back in the game exactly where I left it. Now of course, if I want to start up another game that's going to cost more time than it would on Stadia but if I just want to continue playing that's a lot faster on my PS4 for now than it is on Stadia it seems.

Putosaure

Oct 27, 2017
France
Who really believe that it will be 120 "new" games lol of course most of it will be games already released elsewhere, like all of the current catalog except Gylt

SpokkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Pay to delay?

i wonder if that will keep stadia off killedbygoogle.com for more than 2 years?

DonnieTC

Apr 10, 2019
I imagine this depends on the usecase. I can't speak for Destiny 2 but I read a lot about people having to go through the game's login every time they start up Stadia. When I start up my PS4 I hear a beep and a couple of seconds later I'm back in the game exactly where I left it. Now of course, if I want to start up another game that's going to cost more time than it would on Stadia but if I just want to continue playing that's a lot faster on my PS4 for now than it is on Stadia it seems.
True but that was just an example for the startup. Travelling between planets, loading strikes, starting missions is all noticeably faster on Stadia compared to my Xbox experience. I'm sure getting an SSD would definitely lessen load times though since right now I have an external 4 TB 5400 rpm HDD.

Sep 19, 2019
Hamburg- Germany
How much do you think Google would have to pay to get GTAVI as a 3 month timed exclusive? $100M? $200M? More?

Considering that GTA VI would make easily 500 Million day one and that the user base of Stadia is just not mentionable (assumingly) I think they would have to pay at least close the the 500 million mark.

I never expect it to happen thoug as it makes no sense to keep your user base relatively small on purpose and to think people would jump ship just because of 3 month is more than just high risky.

Yankee Ruin X

Oct 31, 2017
Considering that GTA VI would make easily 500 Million day one and that the user base of Stadia is just not mentionable (assumingly) I think they would have to pay at least close the the 500 million mark.

I never expect it to happen thoug as it makes no sense to keep your user base relatively small on purpose and to think people would jump ship just because of 3 month is more than just high risky.

Let's be fair though it's not like Rockstar would lose any sales by doing this, GTAV still sells a load every month and came out in 2013 so would just be like a free $100M or whatever for Rockstar. Would people be pissed, yep but they will still buy it for their respective systems at a later date when the timed exclusivity runs out. It would get Stadia a lot of headlines and some people will try out their service, especially if they have got everything up and running by then. It would be a pretty good showcase for Stadia to be able to advertise play GTAVI months before anyone else on pretty much any device with a screen phone, tablet, laptop, TV, etc.

It's not going to happen I'm sure but I think something huge like this is what Stadia needs to do if they want to be taken seriously.

Devilgunman

Oct 27, 2017
Instead of moneyhat for time exclusive, Google should use their money to make sure every big games coming out this year and years after come out on Stadia as well.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
In Destiny? You have to load in each time on ps4, the load difference is massive and the main reason I play the game on Stadia

MistaTwo

SNK Gaming Division Studio 1
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Exclusives are good when you fund them.

Isn't that the case every single time though?
At the end of the day any MG or royalty advance or whatever form the reimbursement comes in is just going to be funneled into operating revenue to pay employee salaries and keep the lights on.

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
Okay, but isn't more money being invested in games still good for us and the industry? Especially when most of us will have instant access, and no hardware costs.

if MS or Sony bought the exclusivity many ppl would be locked out. In this case almost everyone can play these games.

I'm not a Stadia fanboy, but I don't see what we have to lose. It seems like a win win situation for gamers.

Just because a different scenario would be worse, doesn't make this "win win".

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
That's unfortunate. With cloud gaming comes the possibility of variability depending on several factors such as internet setup and distance to the datacenters. From my personal experience though, my Destiny 2 Stadia experience has been superior to the console version due to the 60 FPS and the extremely fast loading times (you're looking at around 30 seconds difference between starting up and getting to your ship for example). I've beat the original, Osiris, and Warmind campaigns. I've done almost all the strikes at least once and explored every planet. Pretty sure I have over 50 hours in the game right now and there's only been once where I experienced a hiccup (severe controller lag that lasted a few minutes) on the hours I've spent playing it on my CCU and laptop. Honestly my experience (which is purely my own) has been great and it's stuff like this that makes me think more about using Stadia. This is also coming from a guy who lives in a smallish town in Arkansas.

Yes, it's very unfortunate.
In fact, it's fatally unfortunate.

Hiding games from people who can't use your platform is just shooting a dead body at this point.

Deleted member 11626

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Some folks keep parroting this idea that there's no investment beyond a controller or game (even though free Stadia isn't even out yet), but let's stop acting like data caps aren't a thing for US customers at least. Where I live, the cost of unlimited internet is a minimum of $150, and that's if I lock myself into a contract and settle for 300 mbps internet. In a year, I could buy all three major consoles, plus some games, subs, and pay a lot less for slower internet. Stadia just is not viable right now, which really highlights how fucking stupid it is that they're moneyhatting timed exclusivity.

Hooooooo boy!

Timed exclusives, we all know how much the gaming community loves those.

Not a whole lot of complaints about Final Fantasy being locked to PlayStation for a year

pronk

Oct 26, 2017
I would have thought this doesn't really matter, because they will probably be small games like Gylt, but at the same time if Stadia takes off, it will suck for people who are literally not able to play these games that don't need streaming or take advantage of the infinite power of cloud, just because their internet is no good.

This https://www.theverge.com/2020/1/17/...dia-game-streaming-broadband-deal-partnership makes me scared Stadia might actually take off, if they can just give it away for free with your internet connection...

DonnieTC

Apr 10, 2019
Yes, it's very unfortunate.
In fact, it's fatally unfortunate.

Hiding games from people who can't use your platform is just shooting a dead body at this point.
Hmmmmmmm, I think you misinterpreted my post. My unfortunate remark was a response to the person I was responding to and the fact his Stadia experience was terrible.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Why did you cut the rest? "60% higher than forecast." Epic is growing faster than their own exceptions. What would be good growth to you? Being equal to Steam on sales in one year of the store being out?

... sigh.

"60% higher than their initial forecast" is a statement that you should not base a discussion on about whether the strategy was successful or not.
Their initial forecast was made with the plan of buying only few exclusives, handing out around 15 free games and having no deep sales or discounts.
If you change your strategy mid year and increase your budget by a lot - you should really expect to outmatch your original forecast, don't you think?

AzorAhai

Oct 29, 2017
Who honestly likes timed exclusives ?
First party exclusives are fair (for as long as we have multiple platforms), but this just irritates me.